IGNORED

US House Of Representatives 3: The Dems Govern While The GQPers Genuflect To The Former Guy

GreyhoundFan

On 11/2/2021 at 4:51 AM, Audrey2 said:

And her child is probably better off for not having mom during maternity leave.

Lauren, Pete is a better parent than you will ever be. I know that circumstances can make it very difficult to impossible to take much leave but the idea that Pete is really connecting with the babies and his partner and wanting to make sure that he's a good dad in a strong family makes me respect him even more.

This makes those comments even worse. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 13

9 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

I feel for the sane Louisianans in this man's district. :pb_sad:

Ten bucks says this guy is vaccinated.... and the people "dying on their feet" are his constituents.  Louisiana is 4th in the country for covid deaths per capita.  

• Upvote 12

'Sick behavior': Dem congressman tears into Paul Gosar for anime video of himself killing AOC

On Sunday, Rep. Paul Gosar (R-AZ) triggered outrage by tweeting out an anime-themed video depicting himself killing Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) and swinging a pair of swords at President Joe Biden.

The stunt earned furious condemnation from Rep. Ted Lieu (D-CA).

"This is sick behavior from Rep. Paul Gosar," said Lieu, a former Air Force Reserve officer. "He tweeted out the video showing him killing Rep. Ocasio-Cortez from both his official account and personal account. In any workplace in America, if a coworker made an anime video killing another coworker, that person would be fired."

Gosar also drew outrage from former Republican National Committee official Doug Heye, who tweeted, "This deserves an overwhelmingly bipartisan censure."

An extreme-right lawmaker who has been condemned by his own family members, Gosar has been accused of associating with white supremacists. He has repeatedly used his account to spread far-right internet memes, including from a "men's right's activist" who has said men should stand up straight to project dominance over women.

:angry-cussingblack:

• Disgust 5
  • WTF 7

46 minutes ago, Cartmann99 said:

If anything good could come from 1/6, maybe it could be basic civility requirements for elected officials.  It seems that mental competence and knowledge of history and the basic procedures of government are too big an ask, but basic civility ought to be a reasonable requirement...

Edited by church_of_dog
  • Upvote 1
  • I Agree 11

If I were AOC I would report this death threat. I can't believe this can be ignored.

I find this repug behavior and discourse highly disconcerting. It does not bide well...

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 6

By the way, in my post above it's supposed to say bode, not bide. Typing while getting on a train is not recommendable. :pb_lol:

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, Becky said:

How on earth is this not considered a threat?!?!  In any workplace other than the United States Congress, this would be grounds for dismissal, and possibly legal action.  Gosar is a creep.

I agree. There should be policies and practices in place for this behaviour, as with any other workplace. I am getting to the point where I think elected reps and their staff need to sign a workplace policy and behavioural expectations document, and anyone refusing is refused entry. This is not "limiting freedoms", it's setting out a minimum standard. It feels like a lot of these people have not worked in settings with behavioural expectations policies, and it shows.

• Upvote 11

2 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

I agree. There should be policies and practices in place for this behaviour, as with any other workplace. I am getting to the point where I think elected reps and their staff need to sign a workplace policy and behavioural expectations document, and anyone refusing is refused entry. This is not "limiting freedoms", it's setting out a minimum standard. It feels like a lot of these people have not worked in settings with behavioural expectations policies, and it shows.

His siblings keep asking someone to hold him to account.  I honestly think he's mentally ill.  He has some sort of neurological disorder.  You can see it in his tics and twitches.  For all we know, he also has dementia.  Certainly, his recent behavior shows that he no longer has any internal restraints.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 2

GOP Rep. Upton releases death threat voicemail over infrastructure bill support

WASHINGTON — Republican Rep. Fred Upton of Michigan received a profanity-laced voicemail threatening his life and that of his family and staff, criticizing his support for the bipartisan infrastructure bill last week.

In the voicemail, obtained by NBC News from his office, a caller told Upton, "I hope you die. I hope everybody in your f------ family dies," while labeling him a "traitor."

Last week, Upton was one of 13 House Republican members who voted with most Democrats for the $555 billion infrastructure bill. It was also reported that GOP leaders are bracing for calls for the 13 to be stripped of committee assignments for stepping off the party line.

The Detroit News, who first published the profanity-laced voicemail, reported that Upton has received numerous death threats since his vote, which was confirmed by his office. Upton told the newspaper the calls started after his Republican colleague, Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene of Georgia, publicly posted the names and phone numbers of Upton and a dozen other GOP House members who voted in support of the bill, calling them "traitors."

The caller equates Upton's vote with voting for President Joe Biden, whom the caller also insults.

"It’s tragic, especially if it leads to violence. This is not what our kids and families ought to be seeing," Upton told The Detroit News. "It’s just a polarized, toxic environment. Worse than I’ve ever seen before."

I'm convinced that MTG beat up the other kids in elementary school and stole their lunch money.

• Upvote 11
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, Cartmann99 said:

Hey, lady, my husband served.  Until and unless you have worn the uniform, never, NEVER compare yourself to our soldiers, sailors, and airmen.  😡

Edited by Becky
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 5

Try not to laugh at what Madison Cawthorn just did to NC Republicans

Many people thought a congressional run by N.C. House Speaker Tim Moore was all but certain in 2022. His fellow lawmakers certainly did. In fact, they conveniently drew an incumbent-free, Republican-heavy congressional district centered around his home in Cleveland County. But then came Madison Cawthorn.

The freshman representative from Western North Carolina thwarted Moore’s plans Thursday when he announced his decision to change congressional districts. Cawthorn will run in the newly created 13th Congressional District instead of the 14th Congressional District, which state lawmakers had drawn with him as the lone incumbent. Hours later, Moore officially squashed rumors of a 2022 run, saying he plans to seek re-election as speaker next year instead.

Though he didn’t mention Moore by name, Cawthorn said when announcing the switch that he feared that another “establishment, go-along-to-get-along Republican” would prevail in the 13th district if he didn’t run there. You heard that right. Tim Moore — yes, that Tim Moore, a conservative stalwart who even went on a “Stop the Steal” field trip to Pennsylvania — is now considered an establishment Republican. That says a lot about what the Republican Party has become, especially here in North Carolina, where Trumpism is threatening to become the norm. The irony is that Moore and his fellow Republicans are the ones who got us — and themselves — here. Too many of them stood by and watched while extremists like Cawthorn lied and fear-mongered their way into power. They could have stopped it, but too often went along with it, particularly when they thought it could get them more money, more endorsements and more votes.

Turns out that unconditional loyalty isn’t as politically productive as Republicans thought it would be. Apparently, they’ve yet to learn what others have long known: people like Cawthorn aren’t loyal to anyone but themselves.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 7

Wyoming GOP votes to stop recognizing Cheney as a Republican

CASPER, Wyo. (AP) — The Wyoming Republican Party will no longer recognize Liz Cheney as a member of the GOP in its second formal rebuke for her criticism of former President Donald Trump.

The 31-29 vote Saturday in Buffalo, Wyoming, by the state party central committee followed votes by local GOP officials in about one-third of Wyoming’s 23 counties to no longer recognize Cheney as a Republican.

In February, the Wyoming GOP central committee voted overwhelmingly to censure Cheney, Wyoming’s lone U.S. representative, for voting to impeach Trump for his role in the Jan. 6 riot at the U.S. Capitol.

Cheney has described her vote to impeach Trump as an act of conscience in defense of the Constitution. Trump “incited the mob” and “lit the flame” of that day’s events, Cheney said after the attack.

It’s “laughable” for anybody to suggest Cheney isn’t a “conservative Republican,” Cheney spokesman Jeremy Adler said by text message Monday.

“She is bound by her oath to the Constitution. Sadly a portion of the Wyoming GOP leadership has abandoned that fundamental principle and instead allowed themselves to be held hostage to the lies of a dangerous and irrational man,” Adler added.

• Eyeroll 1
  • WTF 7
  • Thank You 6

8 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

The Wyoming Republican Party will no longer recognize Liz Cheney as a member of the GOP in its second formal rebuke for her criticism of former President Donald Trump.

So does this essentially mean she's an Independent now? I am finding this utterly bizarre.

• I Agree 9

4 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

What a pathetic excuse. A death threat to reach out to a younger generation is still a death threat, you moron.

• Upvote 11

Gosar retweeting the video that started this whole shitshow after being censured:

image.png.65b76f4935b73d976a625ce2cc583f88.png

• Upvote 2
  • Disgust 3
  • Eyeroll 1

McCarthy and the rest of the Republicans are just a bunch of lily-livered cowards.  They're terrified that Donald will prop up a candidate to run against them in a primary.  They're horrified that he might tweet out a bad nickname for them.  They're afraid of their own constituents because Donald, the bully, has radicalized them.  Unless or until some of them grow a spine like Liz Cheney, they'll put up with anything, including violence.

• Upvote 12

6 hours ago, Xan said:

McCarthy and the rest of the Republicans are just a bunch of lily-livered cowards.  They're terrified that Donald will prop up a candidate to run against them in a primary.  They're horrified that he might tweet out a bad nickname for them.  They're afraid of their own constituents because Donald, the bully, has radicalized them.  Unless or until some of them grow a spine like Liz Cheney, they'll put up with anything, including violence.

Agreed. I also think it’s entirely possible that Trump has information about (some of) them that he’s holding over them.

They are doing anything and everything to thwart whatever the Dems want to achieve, because that’s the only party policy they have. ‘Us against them’ to the absolute extreme.

• Upvote 10

5 hours ago, fraurosena said:

Agreed. I also think it’s entirely possible that Trump has information about (some of) them that he’s holding over them.

They are doing anything and everything to thwart whatever the Dems want to achieve, because that’s the only party policy they have. ‘Us against them’ to the absolute extreme.

I really think that's the case. Its the only thing that makes sense. So many Republicans have gone to ridicolous levels to do whatever Trump wants.  

• Upvote 9

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic