IGNORED

Maxwell 47: Vestigial Tales of the Messy Towel Drawer

Coconut Flan

I had a thought regarding Anna Maries hernia repair operation. She said she had had the hernia for quite a few years and was only now having it fixed.

Would there be no point to surgery as the next and many subsequent pregnancies ruin the surgery and cause it to come back? 

Therefore, having surgery to fix it now because they know there won't be any more pregnancies?

• Upvote 11
  • Rufus Bless 1

Are Chelsy’s family antivax? It baffles me how so many of the pro life fundies don’t care about making the lives of babies healthier and less risky once they’re born. The mental gymnastics astounds me.

Annas treatment won’t necessarily prevent more pregnancies but it will definitely hinder chances. How old is Anna Marie? I wonder if this experience has made she and Christopher realise that maybe six is plenty of blessings and its more important to focus on health and recovery then adding more. Or if they’ve been told there will not be anymore and they actually believe the doctors. An interesting one.

• Upvote 20

1 hour ago, allyisyourpally5 said:

Annas treatment won’t necessarily prevent more pregnancies but it will definitely hinder chances. How old is Anna Marie? I wonder if this experience has made she and Christopher realise that maybe six is plenty of blessings and its more important to focus on health and recovery then adding more. Or if they’ve been told there will not be anymore and they actually believe the doctors. An interesting one.

I’m no doctor myself but I’ve heard from some women who’ve undergone chemo that due to the treatment, children of future pregnancies might have a high risk of becoming severely disabled. Apparently, chemo changes one’s DNA (?), which can be harmful for the development of subsequent kids. One woman I know (a former teacher of mine) chose to take that risk despite her doctors’ warnings and has one disabled and one healthy child. Unfortunately, the sick daughter cannot speak, hear, see, and is in a vegetative state. It’s heartbreaking for everyone involved (child, mum, and family). 

As far as I know, one option is to store one’s eggs before starting chemo and then to opt for IVF afterwards, but I doubt Anna Marie and Christopher have done that. 

• Upvote 10
  • Love 1

A friend of my son was just diagnosed with the same type of cancer as Anna, and this young lady is only 27 years old.  She has been keeping friends and family informed of her situation, first on Facebook, and now has created a Caringbridge page for everyone to read.   Before she started Chemo, she did fertility counseling and did an egg extraction.   She's also said she is also involved in a University genetic study,   I admire her willingness to share her journey so openly.   

If you know of anyone who is going through a challenging illness, take a look at Caringbridge.org.  It's a way to keep people informed, and allows them to respond back, very similar to Facebook, but without all the other content and garbage you get with social media.  Entry into the person's account is by invitation only.  I was familiar with the group because a co-worker's son had lukemia about 10 years ago and it's an amazing resource.    

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 8

5 hours ago, allyisyourpally5 said:

Are Chelsy’s family antivax? It baffles me how so many of the pro life fundies don’t care about making the lives of babies healthier and less risky once they’re born. The mental gymnastics astounds me.

They are COVID deniers so no doubt there will be no vaccinations in any of their godly bodies.

When I got my first vaccine I posted about it on Social Media. My first post on SM in months. I don't engage much on there because people make me cranky. But, I also knew it would piss some people off and to be honest, that was one of my motivations.

Anti vaxxers/conspiracy theorists/woo chasers are not among any audience I have any interest in appeasing/avoiding argument. I refuse to engage so I just let them rant. 

• Upvote 15
  • Love 3

If everyone is being so “careful,” how did Nathan and Melanie’s kids manage to catch colds?

• Upvote 12
  • Eyeroll 2

34 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

When I got my first vaccine I posted about it on Social Media. My first post on SM in months. I don't engage much on there because people make me cranky. But, I also knew it would piss some people off and to be honest, that was one of my motivations.

Same. I haven't posted about the second shot because I forgot, but I think next Thursday I'll do a "Fully Vaccinated!!!!" post on FB. I know there's at least one crazy Covid-denier and a handful of anti-maskers on there, and I welcome their comments. Because they are STUPID, and at this point I care nothing about pointing out the things they say that are stupid. 

I have decided that life is too short to coddle idiots, and if someone wants to unfriend me because I point out their stupidity, good riddance.

I am polite about it, but very very firm. My favorite for the MAGA-loving moron who is always posting anti-mask stuff in between her self-congratulatory abortion protest posts is "you cannot claim to be pro-life and refuse to protect already born people by wearing a mask in public." She's not managed to cobble together a response to that yet. 

But yeah I think the Maxwells probably will get/have gotten the vaccine, but aren't going to post about it because they don't want to scare off their potential customers who are more on the crazy side.

• Upvote 11
  • Love 4

My main thoughts on the latest post are that Sarah definitely got her "writing talent" from Teri.  Wow that was awful to read.

Here's my contribution to thread naming:

1618525703173_vw.thumb.png.967a416b18d073307821e7b451c60632.png

• Upvote 7
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 17
  • Love 1

Anna Marie is 34, but turning 35 soon. 

The Maxwells are higher risk if Steve's heart condition is genetic and it can be passed down to other members of the family. 

7 hours ago, Hane said:

If everyone is being so “careful,” how did Nathan and Melanie’s kids manage to catch colds?

Colds can be caused by stress and allergies. 

Plenty of people catch things even when they're trying to be careful. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • WTF 1

I get my second vaccine tomorrow. I don’t think I’ll post on FB about it because I’m so weird about posting stuff on FB. I keep it so light. But I honestly don’t have too many friends on FB who are anti-vaccine. Most are pretty pro vaccine. I only have like 160 friends anyway. Even the trumpers got their vaccine! But I still might not post. 

Today at my children’s school, there was a boy wearing a puffy vest like the Maxwells. I swear he had it on backwards and it was zipped up. I started laughing to myself because I imagined the Maxwells doing this to their little ones so they can’t take off their puffy vest. You must wear the puffy vest at all times!

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 10
  • I Agree 2

15 hours ago, allyisyourpally5 said:

The kids all got the chicken pox a little over a year ago. If they were fully vaccinated they wouldn't have gotten them. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4

My whole town seems to be rabidly anti-mask and anti-vax. I suspect they radicalize each other on facebook. My neighbors socialize in big groups. Only occasionally does someone catch covid. Does this not fly in the face of natural selection? I know someone who was so very careful, got covid anyway plus a post-viral syndrome and was in a wheelchair for a while. Is this fair?

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 7
  • WTF 1

It is really worrying me that it has been so long since Sarah has posted.  I truly hope she is okay.  

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 6

"We navigated our holiday meal around being at church for 3 hours since our family planned to gather and eat at our house at 1:00 p.m. to allow us to be back to church at 6:00 p.m."

This is the kind of barely intelligible sentence that shows up when you're writing a paper an hour before it's due and you need to increase your word-count. 

Also- if I were sending out food for 15 people in 2 families, I probably would have sent "family style" dishes instead of individual plates. Individual plates are more difficult to transport and what if somebody wants a little more or less of something?

Edited by bertnee
another thought
  • Upvote 18
  • I Agree 6
  • Thank You 1

This just in: Steve doesn't understand how random number generators work. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 16
  • I Agree 1

24 minutes ago, bertnee said:

Also- if I were sending out food for 15 people in 2 families, I probably would have sent "family style" dishes instead of individual plates. Individual plates are more difficult to transport and what if somebody wants a little more or less of something?

Isn't Steve the guy who counted out the animal crackers?

You get what Steve says you get. And that's it. No more, no less.

• Upvote 18
  • Sad 3

17 hours ago, Cults-r-us said:

My whole town seems to be rabidly anti-mask and anti-vax. I suspect they radicalize each other on facebook. My neighbors socialize in big groups. Only occasionally does someone catch covid. Does this not fly in the face of natural selection? I know someone who was so very careful, got covid anyway plus a post-viral syndrome and was in a wheelchair for a while. Is this fair?

That really sucks. I got my second dose of vaccine today. I think if I lived where you do, I would have been even more eager to get the vaccine. I can’t imagine being surrounded by that. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 7

21 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

The Maxwells are higher risk if Steve's heart condition is genetic and it can be passed down to other members of the family. 

I wonder if, back in the day, Steve was a smoker?

• Confused 1
  • WTF 1

5 hours ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

And if so, what all did he smoke?

• Upvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 13

10 hours ago, FloraDoraDolly said:

And if so, what all did he smoke?

That has to be the reason he loves to go to high places in Colorado.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 10

On 4/15/2021 at 4:47 PM, Bluebirdbluebell said:

I spent over a full year pretty isolated (yes, it was kinda awful, but better than the alternative and I am now fully vaccinated and loving getting out a bit.  I went to King Soopers yesterday and was more concerned about active shooters than germs, so that’s progress...I guess). Anyway, at home with only my husband, I still got nasty sick in January.  I guess sinus infection germs are a party all by themselves. 

• Upvote 10

On 4/16/2021 at 11:27 AM, Black Aliss said:

This just in: Steve doesn't understand how random number generators work. 

Right? I mean, maths are not my strong suit but isn’t the fact that it’s random going to suggest a different result?  Oh my.  The writing, though. I think it’s burned into my memory: “I was surprised to see it be the same thing...”

I’m not even gonna offer an edit.  Let Steve & his minions continue in their sad ignorance of SO MUCH in this life.... abd people look up to him and Teri.  SMH in nearly perpetual motion  

Edited by MamaJunebug
  • Upvote 9

On 4/15/2021 at 5:38 PM, Hane said:

Colds are not necessarily contagious. Kids catch colds very easily, for example playing in the lawn in a cold day, or being under the rain, etc. Of course, these situations are not always followed by a cold, but it's not rare.

I don't think Maxwells are careful enough, because what I see in their blog, but colds are not an evidence of being careless about covid risks.

On 4/16/2021 at 10:24 PM, IReallyAmHopewell said:

They have never said that, so I assume he wasn't. But if he smoked, he left it to enter fundiedom, so he's been clean for 40 years. Sadly, people with healthy lifestyles can have health issues too, especially at Steven's age.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I hate to burst some bubbles, but colds are caused by viruses.  They are not caused by allergies or running in the rain.  It is possible to have allergies that look and seem like colds because many of the symptoms can overlap, but without the virus by definition the condition is not a cold.  Kids can come down with a cold after playing in the rain both by pure coincidence or getting chilled lowering their resistance.  They still have to have the virus for a cold to develop.  Unlike COVID, colds can be transmitted by touching contaminated surfaces.  So if they are letting children leave the house at all or even unpack delivered groceries, it's possible for them to catch a cold virus.  

And a huge yes to people Steve's age just coming down with all kinds of conditions.  I have a neighbor who is a similar health nut case to Steve.  She wasn't going to get osteoporosis.  She was religiously following this don't get osteoporosis book.  She wasn't going to have heart trouble, she had her handy heart healthy manual.  Well by age 68, she had osteoporosis and had had a heart attack.  It happens.  Both her parents died of heart conditions and she's genetically pre-disposed.  As to the osteoporosis, I told her to take calcium supplements, but she believed her book.   She wasn't wrong in what she did do, but she was opposed to supplementing enough or it's simply age gets too much and you need some medicine to help with the calcium leaching that comes along with the advancing years. 

• Upvote 23
  • Thank You 7
  • Love 4

• Coconut Flan locked this topic