IGNORED

Maxwell 47: Vestigial Tales of the Messy Towel Drawer

Coconut Flan

3 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

In his latest Seriously Dad column "Fearful or Bold", Steve actually said

One of the very few fundies who don't cry persecution at every turn. At least not blatantly. Maxwells have, more than one, alluded to the concept. Steve may actually grasp the fact that American Christians are not persecuted in any way shape or form, but overall, the more fundie, the more of a persecution complex. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2

17 hours ago, kpmom said:

I guess what I found most odd about Christi's story was the potential employer "challenged" the guy's college degree from an accredited college.  Even if the employer wasn't familiar with homeschooling, if he was looking at an official transcript from the school's registrar's office, what is there to "challenge"?  Either he graduated or he didn't.

My guess is the truth is either:

1. Christi mistyped and meant "non-accredited" college, which yeah, totally should be looked into. 

2. The guy's resume was highly self-righteous about having been homeschooled and the employer, seeing a potential problem employee, pulled that out as a reason when entitled homeschool dude pestered him about why he wasn't chosen for the job. 

3. This is a friend of a friend apocryphal story that has mutated like a game of telephone over time.

4. Some combo of options 1 - 3.

Really, there's no reason the girls couldn't get married, even Sarah. Except Steve is a giant red flag waving in the wind. I could easily see some GYM being interested, reading their blog and such (the fundie version of stalking social media), and noping right out. I'm sure one of the younger ones will eventually get married. Someday. Sarah might, even, if she wants. But right now? Their lives are so limited and scheduled and Steve's requirements are so exacting, it's got to be difficult.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 6

On 4/10/2021 at 2:44 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

The Craigs have competed in the Bible bed for years and I’m guessing that’s where they met the Bontragers. 

I am absolutely leading the pack fir typos these days but I LOVE this one! Isn’t the whole Quiverfull movement about “competing in the Bible bed?” LOVE IT!

Love, Love LoVe!!!

? ??

On 4/10/2021 at 4:22 PM, Sops2 said:

Lydia Bennet

Wait - there‘s actually a fundie Lydia Bennet?

If her sisters include any one of Elizabeth, Jane, Mary or Katherine, I am gonna have to find a new snark topic. LOL 

On 4/10/2021 at 10:30 PM, Lgirlrocks said:

My older brother graduated from home school. No GED and no college degree. He is two classes away from an associates. No one questions it. It seems weird that an employer would even ask for a high school diploma when they have a college degree. 

I worked for a major regional company that required transcripts through grade school. They were just that intent upon hiring only those they wanted to hire.

I know because one of the HR drones smugly informed me a friend of mine had been declined for hiring because of her elementary school performance. She’d applied to work within an industrial plant and they did NOT want females in those jobs. The sh!ts.

Edited by MamaJunebug
  • Upvote 8
  • WTF 7

18 hours ago, sableduck said:

I was homeschooled, and have a BA and an M.Ed.  Since my state doesn’t recognize homeschool diplomas and I don’t have a GED, I always have to check “no” on the high school graduation question.  It’s been a problem twice in the 20 years since I graduated high school and was easily cleared up.  I never considered contacting HSLDA, but since my parents weren’t ever members they probably wouldn’t help me anyway.

it probably wouldn’t come up on jobs that just want resumes, but many jobs still want you to fill out their own application. Everyone always asks for high school graduation information on those.

Sableduck, major congratulations on both the degrees!  Somehow in my many years here, I’d missed those accomplishments!  Wow, wow, wow!  Impressive, gal !!

18 hours ago, kpmom said:

Someone named Kelly responded on the Maxwell's blog about Christi's son and thought the whole situation was odd too!

We’ll see how long THAT stays up! :D 
Leave it to the lesser bloggers - Steve & Teri - to miss something like that. Sarah never would!

18 hours ago, kpmom said:

I had a professor many moons ago who told us a story about a man he knew who dropped out of high school.  Later he took enough night classes at the local Community College to be admitted and got his Associates Degree.  He transferred to a 4 year school, got a Bachelor's, went on to graduate school and eventually got a Doctorate degree.  All without ever having graduated high school!!

Hee! Almost the plot line of the late great TV show “Community!” Where the guy had graduated from law school without having ever earned a bachelor’s degree, so was disbarred and had to go to community college to begin to earn credits toward one. 

.....Almost the perfect sitcom, in retrospect....

Edited by MamaJunebug
  • Upvote 8

As I've said before, the HSLD people use blatant scare tactics. They quote things out-of-context from court cases --anything to prove how "persecuted" homeschoolers are. Most homeschoolers have never heard of this group and manage just fine. Follow the laws of your state. Don't abuse your kids. Make sure your kids are actually learning something. Don't fear CPS. You will be fine. If you are not it is more likely something you are doing that is getting you noticed in bad ways.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2

20 hours ago, onekidanddone said:

My husband did the laundry. 
This is how I found the towels. 
What ever works I suppose 

4D639949-099A-4A33-9BD8-BA180687C5F5.thumb.jpeg.189fac8d727c4ac67213b2f4499f31b2.jpeg

Fixing: Might as well make it a Haiku

I found these towels 

My husband the laundry he did

Call Teri Maxwell 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 14
  • Love 2

Is the permanent record a real thing? You here it referred to apron tv as a real thing that every aspect of your school life is recorded into....so is it real or is it just like a grade transcript?

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

Hee! Almost the plot line of the late great TV show “Community!” Where the guy had graduated from law school without having ever earned a bachelor’s degree, so was disbarred and had to go to community college to begin to earn credits toward one. 

.....Almost the perfect sitcom, in retrospect....

Netflix keeps recommending "Community" to me.  I haven't watched it yet.  If you think highly of it MJB I'll give it a go!

• Upvote 4

28 minutes ago, allyisyourpally5 said:

Is the permanent record a real thing? You here it referred to apron tv as a real thing that every aspect of your school life is recorded into....so is it real or is it just like a grade transcript?

It’s a real thing! I teach in the same district I went to school in and was looking up myself in our system my first year to do some log for my admin and I’ll be damned if my name with “Student” in parentheses popped up underneath my name with a “Teacher” in parentheses. Me being the very curious and nosy person I am, I clicked on my student profile and they had my grades, parents names, addresses, and grades going all the way back to sixth grade in it. It also had my standardized test scores, a legal note showing my parent’s custody change and a no contact order, and the one time I was written up for cheating in ninth grade. I also grew up in the time is of lots of technology in the schools, so I don’t know if they have them everywhere, but I actually got to look at my own permanent record!

• Upvote 13
  • Thank You 1

3 hours ago, kpmom said:

Netflix keeps recommending "Community" to me.  I haven't watched it yet.  If you think highly of it MJB I'll give it a go!

The first three seasons are brilliant, especially if you like meta humor and genre homages (e.g., the episodes that use a campus-wide paintball competition to play upon action movie/Western tropes). 

The latter three seasons...have their moments.

Edited by Naga Viper
  • Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

4 hours ago, kpmom said:

Oh, I DO!!!! Yes, yes, yes.  I think you'll love it, just, "knowing" you as I "do" from these boards. I mean, Joel McHale, Allison Brie, Danny Pudi, Donald Glover, Yvette Nicole Brown, Gillian Jacobs, Chevy Chase, and oh my gosh Ken Jeong as Senor Chang --- it's some of the best tv I've ever watched.  And no laugh track.  It didn't need one.  ETA an actor who I've not seen in anything else but who in Community is just as perfect as everybody else: Jim Rash. Credit where credit's due, folks! ❤️ 

I probably need to use my kid's Netflix password to watch it when I feel blue.  Can a person just choose to watch something on Netflix? Or does one have to wait until its regularly scheduled airing?

Oh, yes, yes, yes Community.  SO great!

Edited by MamaJunebug
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

I probably need to use my kid's Netflix password to watch it when I feel blue.  Can a person just choose to watch something on Netflix? Or does one have to wait until its regularly scheduled airing?

Oh, yes, yes, yes Community.  SO great!

If it's listed as 'available' you can watch it whenever you want.  Stop in the middle and return later, whatever.  But you won't find the first D&D episode of Community.  Netflix won't show it because they're worried about being accused of tolerating racism.

That's because when the gang all show up to play, in an attempt to bond with a fellow student they think is suicidal, Chang dressed up as a dark elf, complete with black skin, pointy ears, etc.  Shirley complained about his get-up being "a walking hate crime", so he explained that he was dressing the part of his character.  While Shirley looked unconvinced, she decided to let it go.  (Remember, Chang is very sensitive to racial prejudice, presumably having experienced it growing up as an Asian American.  I never enjoyed Chang, but I firmly believed that he wasn't wearing blackface, he was really only trying to "be the character".)

Minutes later, Chang's character was killed and he left in a huff.  

• Upvote 6

6 hours ago, Flossie said:

If it's listed as 'available' you can watch it whenever you want.  Stop in the middle and return later, whatever.  But you won't find the first D&D episode of Community.  Netflix won't show it because they're worried about being accused of tolerating racism.

That's because when the gang all show up to play, in an attempt to bond with a fellow student they think is suicidal, Chang dressed up as a dark elf, complete with black skin, pointy ears, etc.  Shirley complained about his get-up being "a walking hate crime", so he explained that he was dressing the part of his character.  While Shirley looked unconvinced, she decided to let it go.  (Remember, Chang is very sensitive to racial prejudice, presumably having experienced it growing up as an Asian American.  I never enjoyed Chang, but I firmly believed that he wasn't wearing blackface, he was really only trying to "be the character".)

Minutes later, Chang's character was killed and he left in a huff.  

Wow!  Obviously I’ve not watched every episode, thanks for the info and also for the viewing info!! 

• Upvote 3

On 4/11/2021 at 2:57 PM, Caroline said:

I have a BS and an MA and no employer even asked me about any aspect of high school, and no one has ever requested my high school transcript.   That story from Christi sounds seriously bogus.

My daughter is finishing her MFA next month.  She has a job that required a college degree.  They didn't care about her high school experience either. They cared about her college transcript and how if she had the credentials to work for the company.  They also wanted evidence of recent writing.  I haven't constructed a resume in quite a while, but do people even mention where they went to  high school if they have higher degrees?    Maybe very young people applying for the first job?  I don't remember mentioning high school on my resume when I was applying for jobs.  

My son who has a Masters in Performance, has both a resume and a CV and once explained to me that you put bullet points in a resume, which should be 1 page and a CV has details of accomplishments.  Found this explanation that sums it up below.  His CV includes musical groups he has performed with, competitions he won and special musical accomplishments.   The resume gets their attention, the CV is sent if an employer asks for more in depth information.  There are a lot of internet resources that you can use as a guide.     

A resume is a one- to two-page document presenting key facts about your professional experience, educational background, and skills. A CV (Curriculum Vitae) is a longer document that details the whole course of your career. A resume is used for job search, a CV—for academic purposes.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 2

I'm annoyed there's no new blog post. It proves they don't have a plan for if and when Sarah gets married. Maxwells, you might as well take down the part about Sarah waiting on the Lord for the right man.

On the other hand, I'll feel bad if something is really wrong. 

4 hours ago, SPHASH said:

Teri has a new Mom's Corner.  Must.  Always.  Have.  Bible. Time.

Thanks, I'll do a breakdown in Mom's Corner Thread. 

Edited by Bluebirdbluebell
  • Upvote 3

Did somebody already offer up:

VESTIVUS

A Vestival for the ... Wrecks of Us?

The Rex of Us?

The Wretches of Us?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 13

Resurrection Sunday post is up! Just the reversals and Sarah, and Gigi, this year, due to colds (Nathan’s fam) and Anna Marie’s continued social distancing (good for them). Anna Marie is apparently on a very strict diet but they sent food to the rest of them. Anna who married Jessie does not look pregnant. Elissa looks fantastic. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 4

I wonder if they got the COVID vaccine? they seem to be diligent about their health and some of them have risk factors

• Upvote 8

17 minutes ago, freejugar said:

I wonder if they got the COVID vaccine? they seem to be diligent about their health and some of them have risk factors

Out of all the fundies on FJ, I would think Steve and Teri are one of the few willing to get the vaccine. After extensive research of course. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1

37 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Out of all the fundies on FJ, I would think Steve and Teri are one of the few willing to get the vaccine. After extensive research of course. 

Yeah, when they said "this year Gigi can join us!" I thought it was because she got the vaccine but it seems unlikely since they never mentioned it

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, freejugar said:

Yeah, when they said "this year Gigi can join us!" I thought it was because she got the vaccine but it seems unlikely since they never mentioned it

I think they'll always imply that they did. I can get why they'll never directly mention it - their rapid towel folding fanbase might react badly 

• Upvote 9

4 minutes ago, fundieundies said:

I think they'll always imply that they did. I can get why they'll never directly mention it - their rapid towel folding fanbase might react badly 

I don't blame them for not making a statement about it. I was able to get one fairly early on through my work (even though I'm not a healthcare worker.) I kept mum about it on social media because I know some folks there are rabidly anti-vaxx and I didn't want to invite a fight, and also because I knew there were people who were older/more at risk than I am who hadn't been offered the opportunity yet, and I didn't want to come across as braggy. Knowing that a large portion of their following likely opposes vaccines they will likely do the same. And it's really not the general public's business whether an individual chooses to get the vaccine or not.

Just now, JermajestyDuggar said:

Oh I bet Gigi got the vaccine. Even if the others didn’t. 

I hope so! From what we know of the family's health (which admittedly may not be everything) she and Anna are most at-risk.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

"We navigated our holiday meal around being at church for 3 hours since our family planned to gather and eat at our house at 1:00 p.m. to allow us to be back to church at 6:00 p.m."

From today's Resurrection Sunday post.

Parse this sentence please! About as bad as the Duggars using
"purpose" as a verb--"We purposed to get out of debt"

• Upvote 4
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 5

I could see them getting vaccinated. They tend to be fairly by the books when it comes to medical care. I do wonder about John and Chelsy though. Clearly her family would not approve. 

• Upvote 16

• Coconut Flan locked this topic