IGNORED

Erin & Chad 7: Reckless Behavior in a Pandemic Has Consequences

nelliebelle1197

If those were the options then thank God Chad chose Finley. Harbor? What? Is anyone called Harbor? It's like that kid in the old USSR being called Tractor.

Finlay is pretty exclusively male in the UK but also generally spelled with an 'a' rather than 'e'. Maybe the different spelling is more of a girl's name in the US?

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, SorenaJ said:

Yeah, Finley is pretty much exclusively male here in the UK. 0.3 % of babies named Finley in 2020 were girls (8 girls were named Finley), 99.7 % boys (2613 boys were named Finley). 

(compared with the US where Finley is 57 % female, 43 % male, so definitely gender neutral) 

I definitely think “boy” when I hear Finley but any name that ends with -ly in the US can be used for a girl. It’s like Americans have it in their head that -ly sounds feminine. An example is Ashley. It used to be used more for baby boys. But it started to be used for girls and it never went back. People now think of it firmly as a girl name. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

5 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I definitely think “boy” when I hear Finley but any name that ends with -ly in the US can be used for a girl. It’s like Americans have it in their head that -ly sounds feminine. An example is Ashley. It used to be used more for baby boys. But it started to be used for girls and it never went back. People now think of it firmly as a girl name. 

Interesting. Same for Marley. I think the same is true for the letter y to some extent, see Mackynzie instead of Mackenzie. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

I usually think of girls when I hear Finley because of the Ley ending. Holland is my favorite of her names. I thought if she had a girl she would go for a name like Savannah.

• Upvote 5

4 minutes ago, SorenaJ said:

Interesting. Same for Marley. I think the same is true for the letter y to some extent, see Mackynzie instead of Mackenzie. 

True. Or spelled Marleigh. That somehow makes it feminine. Probably because Lee is thought of as masculine and Leigh is thought of as feminine. 

• Upvote 3

I also thought it was a boys name, maybe because the obvious nickname would be Finn?

I kinda like it though. A lot better than the other choices in the list anyway.

Well, Finley is the best on that list, but that’s not saying much. I’m not a fan of her naming style. Oh well, not my kid. 

Avonlea? Does she even recognize the association with Anne of Green Gables? I would expect that one to be used only by dedicated Anne fans. 

And it’s ironic her list includes places she’s never likely to visit. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

2 hours ago, EmiSue said:

I don't share naming tastes with Erin, but Finley is my least favorite of all her kids' names. There's a small town called Findley, Ohio, not far from where I grew up, but I doubt they took it into consideration😂

Findlay represent!   I do know girls and boys named Finley but not as much in my area because…of Findlay. And they are pronounced the same except for the d. 

• Upvote 3

57 minutes ago, SorenaJ said:

I think of MacKenzie as a girl’s name regardless. I don’t know a single male Mackenzie, but have met a dozen or so girls with the name. But I do think names with the ly ending are automatic considered girls names. 

29 minutes ago, postscript said:

Well, Finley is the best on that list, but that’s not saying much. I’m not a fan of her naming style. Oh well, not my kid. 

Avonlea? Does she even recognize the association with Anne of Green Gables? I would expect that one to be used only by dedicated Anne fans. 

And it’s ironic her list includes places she’s never likely to visit. 

I had that thought. Has she read those books? I love them, but I have to admit Avonlea never made my list of potential names, though I did do a dedicated push for Marilla and lost. 

• Upvote 2

As a former teacher, I base a lot of names on how to pronounce and what the kids experience in school will be with that name but since it's not the case in this situation, I think Finley is the best out of those names. But I'm also in NYC so we get a lot of made up names here. I never bat an eye if a kid is named after a city or place. It's very typical. Brooklyn is extremely popular. Finley isn't even strange. Avonlea is. I would have to ask the kid what they'd want to be called. Is it Avon Leigh or Avon LeAH or Avon LeyAH Idk I always hated the names that combined 2-3 names in one. Like people don't call your kid Jessangela or something like that. Oh and do them a favor don't call them a real name but backwards. The whole Naveah thing is stupid.  I had a student by the name of Semaj. That was on his legal school papers. He was called James by everyone. The sweetest preschooler ever. Saddled for life. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

On 10/20/2021 at 9:42 AM, Flossie said:

I imagine some couples want the whole day to be devoted to them.  Others might request that people hold off on announcements not pertaining to the happy couple until a certain point, like at some point in the reception.  

I think it's a combination of manners, respect, and discretion.  Ask the couple ahead of time if it's OK to make an announcement and when that should happen.  Make sure you tell them what you want to reveal.  If they give you permission, keep the announcement short.  It's possible that some of the people present are only there for the wedding and aren't invested in your good news.

I think bad news, if possible, should be held back until after the wedding and reception.  Like telling people that great Aunt Clara couldn't make it because she wasn't up to attending.  You can tell people later that Aunt Clara died the day before.  You know Aunt Clara wouldn't have wanted to put a downer on the wedding.

But if there's a tornado headed your way, or something like that, different rules apply.  As if that needed to be said.

I know someone who’s grandfather literally passed away an hour after the wedding service.  Like the grandfather went to the wedding service and literally passed away in a  family members car while being driven back to his SNF, as he didn’t feel up to attending the reception.

The family chose not to tell the groom until the next morning.  

• Sad 7

43 minutes ago, OyToTheVey said:

I had a student by the name of Semaj. That was on his legal school papers. He was called James by everyone. The sweetest preschooler ever. Saddled for life. 

I did a two week substitute teaching job and had a first grader named Semaj, who we called Semaj. He was a smart cookie and his name didn’t feel odd at all. I didn’t even realize at the time that it was James backwards. I don’t think it will be any detriment in life for him personally.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

50 minutes ago, OyToTheVey said:

As a former teacher, I base a lot of names on how to pronounce and what the kids experience in school will be with that name but since it's not the case in this situation, I think Finley is the best out of those names. But I'm also in NYC so we get a lot of made up names here. I never bat an eye if a kid is named after a city or place. It's very typical. Brooklyn is extremely popular. Finley isn't even strange. Avonlea is. I would have to ask the kid what they'd want to be called. Is it Avon Leigh or Avon LeAH or Avon LeyAH Idk I always hated the names that combined 2-3 names in one. Like people don't call your kid Jessangela or something like that. Oh and do them a favor don't call them a real name but backwards. The whole Naveah thing is stupid.  I had a student by the name of Semaj. That was on his legal school papers. He was called James by everyone. The sweetest preschooler ever. Saddled for life. 

I went to school with Shakti (shock-Tee). The name always sounded Indian to me but she was white as can be

Finley is the best name of that bunch for sure. 

didn’t cherin make a big deal about how Carson prayed for a brother. How does their beliefs explain how his prayer wasn’t answered?

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

They got a miracle without a penis.  Are they or are they not fully blessed?

The name Holland grew on me quite a bit but I'm pretty sure Finley won't.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

I'm disappointed they didn't go with Ireland as a name. I'm fairly sure the name Erin comes from the Irish word for Ireland.

I just think it would be funny to have Ireland and Ireland junior. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, FinallyMe said:

Findlay represent!   I do know girls and boys named Finley but not as much in my area because…of Findlay. And they are pronounced the same except for the d. 

Whoo-hoo! My parents lived in Findlay for a year when they were newlyweds but had gone back to their hometown by the time I was born, not too far away but still. They liked it back in the day. 

Those names are super shit

I actually read Ireland as Clevland (as in the us state/city ??? spelt wrong) at a first glance. looking back at it now I have no idea how i got that 

her naming style is like 16 pregnant and stupid 

finley is the best of a bad lot  

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 6

If we were to compare Bates grandkids names and Duggar grandkid names, I would say the Duggar grandkids are way better even though they have Spurgeon. There are just so many Bates grandkids that have names I really don’t like. Kolter, Khloe, Kade, Everly. The only Duggar name I strongly dislike is Spurgeon. The rest aren’t that bad. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

I have never seen Finley or Finn for a girl and I don’t really like it but it is better than the other options. Who the heck would name their kid Harbour, Scotland or Ireland? Avonlea isn’t much better but it has some appeal as a name rooted in classic children’s literature. Anne is pretty feisty; would they want their kids to read the books? Plus, she went to college and worked outside the home. The horror! 

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic