IGNORED

Erin & Chad 7: Reckless Behavior in a Pandemic Has Consequences

nelliebelle1197

31 minutes ago, Dbm said:

i just noticed that her oldest daughter looks just like her and her youngest looks just like chad 

Hide contents

333485137_Screenshot2021-10-22at1_40_01am.thumb.png.24b75ccd4be62014afa428037bd23ba5.png

I think Brooklyn looks more lik Chad. Everly is the one I think looks just like Erin. I agree Holland looks like Chad, I think she and Brooke look alike. 

1 hour ago, artdecades said:

Finley is the best name of that bunch for sure. 

didn’t cherin make a big deal about how Carson prayed for a brother. How does their beliefs explain how his prayer wasn’t answered?

In her video she said that she told Carson that sometimes God answers our prayers in unexpected ways and gives us what we need even if it's not exactly what we asked for. 

Edited by CanadianMamam
  • Upvote 2
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

Those names are super shit

I actually read Ireland as Clevland (as in the us state/city ??? spelt wrong) at a first glance. looking back at it now I have no idea how i got that 

her naming style is like 16 pregnant and stupid 

finley is the best of a bad lot  

I read Ireland as Cleveland first and thought "no, she wouldn't be that stupid" and then read it as Breland which... Is marginally better but still not great. 

Surprised they didn't go with Ireland - isn't that where Cherin honeymooned? 

Harbor is beyond ridiculous, you can't just name your child any random word that pops into your brain. Well you can, but you shouldn't. 

Heistheway and Spurgeon are still top of the list for terrible names. 

All the kids look like Chad to me. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

Darn I was fully convinced they were having a boy. And of all place names, they choose Finley?! What about more normal names like London, Paris, Chelsea etc. Paris would have been adorable and fit in perfectly with the theme. 

• Upvote 1

Scotland is a terrible name! I have a cousin of some degree through marriage named Ireland and it's still so odd to me. 

• Upvote 4

I think the eldest two are clones of chad everly is the most bates out of all them and holland the baby is more chad but still a bit of erin 

• Upvote 5

Why does Erin's list have some names capitalized but others not? That's more odd to me than the actual proposed names. I would like to have seen Chad's list without any influence from Erin.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

Did I read correctly that Erin gets to pick the names and he just has to pick the best of the bad lot? 

If so that's fucking unfair, why shouldn't he be allowed to throw his suggestions in the ring, unless of course they alternate doing this with kids.... the naming style would suggest not.

I still want her to address what she said to Carson about it not being a boy. 

• Upvote 6

Lisa Marie Presley has a daughter named Finley.  She's about 12-13 years old and has a twin sister named Harper.  

I highly doubt Erin got the idea of Finley as a name from Elvis' daughter, though. 

• Upvote 3

I knew a little girl named Scotland who used to coming to the store I worked with her mother. She went by Scottie.  I don't know about the name but she was a really cute kid. 

Harbor? Wow. That's something. 

Angie Harmon from Rizzoli and Isles named her oldest daughter Finley.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, AussieKrissy said:

Did I read correctly that Erin gets to pick the names and he just has to pick the best of the bad lot? 

If so that's fucking unfair, why shouldn't he be allowed to throw his suggestions in the ring, unless of course they alternate doing this with kids.... the naming style would suggest not.

Erin shortlists the first name and Chad picks and Chad picks the middle name. At least for the girls since Carson is Charles IV and there have been no other boys. 

She does address it in her video. Carson was disappointed and pointed out that he'd asked for a brother and  they talked about how God has a plan and Erin told him that maybe he and the baby would have a special bond. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 4

1 hour ago, AussieKrissy said:

In the video they discussed that she likes unique sorts of names, and he likes more traditional names. So he picks the middle names, she picks the first. I think that unusual/fashionable  first name, traditional middle name set up is very common, (at least among people I know) - so it would make sense she picks first, he picks middle. Her naming style definitely isn’t something I’d go for (not a big fan of gender neutral names for girls) - but I do think all the names of her kids go together well, and are a little off the beaten path, but not so unusual that they stand out in a bad way. I’ve never heard of a Finley, but if it was called out at a park you’d probably just have one kid coming up, and it wouldn’t be surprising if either a little girl or little boy came running. 

Harbor would certainly be unusual. The others are ok.

But what do I know , one of my adult daughters recently told me how disappointed she is we didn’t go with our second pick name lol

Edited by Mama Mia
  • Upvote 3

According to Google there are numerous towns called Finley in the US, including Tennessee. 

If Erin wanted to stick to the UK theme she had for her list and keep the -lee sound, she could have added Leslie and Paisley to the list. Both are Scottish towns. 

• Upvote 3

It looks like Erin decides everything in that house. Fundie or not, it's not fair. If Chad likes traditional names and Erin trendy names, I'm sure there are middle options, no need to use Holland or Brooklyn. Harbor??? Scotland??? What about #6, will the baby be named Cape Fear Paine?

I know a woman who got pregnant when her children were 12 and 8. She told them they could choose the name... She did a list of weird names with just a "normal" one, so children had to pick that one because they were ashamed of the others. Is it picking? Not really. It is a trap.

*I like Finley, though. But it is odd that someone so worried about gender roles picks such gender-neutral names. Everly is the only "femenine" name of all the daughters. In addition, her names don't match her country aesthetic. Of course, gender neutral names and trendy names are ok. It's only that I expected Erin would choose a different naming style.

• Upvote 10

10 hours ago, sableduck said:

I know someone who’s grandfather literally passed away an hour after the wedding service.  Like the grandfather went to the wedding service and literally passed away in a  family members car while being driven back to his SNF, as he didn’t feel up to attending the reception.

The family chose not to tell the groom until the next morning.  

I know someone who’s grandma passed out during the ceremony, had to be rushed to the hospital and died the next day. She never woke up.

So half of her family were driving up and down from the wedding to the hospital to check on everything. Really sad.

• Sad 6

I actually like Finley for a girl.
To me the weirdest name is still Holland. But that's probably because I actually am from Holland (South Holland, a province in the Netherlands) and it is beyond weird to me that you would name your child like that. People here would definitely give you a look of utter bewilderment when you tell them your name is Holland. (I am not even sure it would be allowed here to name your child after a province, but our naming laws for both first and last names are very strict and I don't necessarily agree with them). I do like Holly.

• Upvote 5

13 hours ago, sableduck said:

I know someone who’s grandfather literally passed away an hour after the wedding service.  Like the grandfather went to the wedding service and literally passed away in a  family members car while being driven back to his SNF, as he didn’t feel up to attending the reception.

The family chose not to tell the groom until the next morning.  

A family friend had a massive heart attack and died at his daughter's wedding. It was at the evening do and the bride and groom had left for the airport as they were going straight on honeymoon. The couple had to be paged and told at the airport before the flight so they could go back home.

It was tragic beyond belief. Your wedding anniversary and your father's anniversary being the same day. I can't imagine how difficult it all was.

• Sad 8

7 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

real talk, erin is the boss in the house I'm not surprised that chad can't even choose or suggest a name, i know he choose the second but ppl usually go just by their first name. and i felt bad for him when she said that she didn't like his name that's why she called her son carson. 

6 hours ago, HeartsAFundie said:

Lisa Marie Presley has a daughter named Finley.  She's about 12-13 years old and has a twin sister named Harper.  

I highly doubt Erin got the idea of Finley as a name from Elvis' daughter, though. 

lisa marie came to my mind too, because of the list and the baby's second name  

• Upvote 2

Full admission. I picked my children’s names. But my husband had full veto power. The only name he ever vetoed was Louisa. He hated it for some reason. We have boys though so it doesn’t matter. Our first child was named after him by my choice. If he hated that idea, he could have vetoed. Our second child has the middle names of his grandpas. Of course my husband loves his dad so that was no veto. The only name that wasn’t named after anyone in the family was our second child’s first name. My husband liked it and I’m glad. Because it fits him very well. If you can’t tell, I’m horribly traditional. And my husband is ok with it. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

22 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

I don’t know, gender neutral names are quite common in the US, and less so in the UK. I am guessing either

1) UK is quite conservative, and do not wish to be seen as progressive and trendy (“things are fine the way they have always been”)

2) Some UK people are against things that are American, simple because they are American, so if gender neutral names are trendy in America, there might be some pushback 

3) Naming your child more gendered names is a way of enforcing gender roles which people might consciously or subconsciously agree with. Americans probably do it in other ways. 

It is changing in the UK, but the UK is not a country that likes to embrace change. Sometimes I wish we could ship the worst Tories of to a desert island. 

I think it is mainly because overall, on average parents are older in the UK. Research shows that younger mothers give their children more trendy/new names, whereas older mothers use more traditional names.  You can see that in this graph from the Office for National Statistics on the england and Wales baby names 2020 (scroll down to point three). There are very different top ten lists for the different ages of mother. Here is an article about the US https://www.babynamewizard.com/archives/2009/1/red-and-blue-baby-naming-inauguration-2009-edition and another from the US https://namerology.com/2020/02/26/in-names-parental-age-is-everything/  It's very interesting. Someone said she had 16 and pregnant naming, which seems very apt.

19 hours ago, Kangaroo said:

I'm disappointed they didn't go with Ireland as a name. I'm fairly sure the name Erin comes from the Irish word for Ireland.

I just think it would be funny to have Ireland and Ireland junior. 

Erin is an anglicisation of one of the forms of Eire, the Irish name for Ireland. Because of that it is very unusual to be named Erin in Ireland (it is very much an American-of-Irish-descent name). I agree that would have been quite a cute way to do a homage (one boy named after him, one girl named after her).

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3

I do think Erin makes most of the decisions in that house. This is just speculation but IMO Erin runs that family and Chad has very little say in it.

We named our daughter my absolute favorite name in the world and it was very much a coincidence that the name is my husband's late grandma first name. We both loved it though. The middle name is a very traditional one that we both love too, we have same taste though. The only rule was we both had full veto and we vetoed lots of names. Both parents should have a say in my opinion.

• Upvote 3

I really wonder why fundies often choose gender neutral names despite being so afraid of anything outside of extremely strict gender roles. Why is that? You’d think they’d go for very clearly male or female names to make sure there won’t be any mix-up in that respect with their kid, ever.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, GreenBeans said:

I really wonder why fundies often choose gender neutral names despite being so afraid of anything outside of extremely strict gender roles. Why is that? You’d think they’d go for very clearly male or female names to make sure there won’t be any mix-up in that respect with their kid, ever.

Don't worry, that's what the giant bows are for.  Everyone will know that Finley is a girl.  I like Finley.  I work with kids and have seen almost every name imaginable.  Old fashioned names have made a major comeback.  Alfred, Albert, George, Mabel, Alma, Muriel, etc.  The only name that raised my eyebrows was Messiah.  I felt that was a little much to place on a wee baby.   It's a lot better than Harbor.  I haven't been a big fan of her kids' names or any of the Bates' for that matter.  But, their toxic beliefs are a lot worse. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

Fundies will give girls more traditionally masculine names but they would never give a boy a traditionally feminine name. That’s because it’s good to be male and bad to be female. Giving a girl a masculine name makes her better. Giving a male a feminine name makes him less. It’s the nature of patriarchy. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

22 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

feminine

I often feel like they give boys more classic, traditional, strong names, whereas girls often get stuck with odd, out there, trendy names (with a unique spelling if they’re extra unlucky).

I wonder if that’s because boys might need to apply for a job and be taken seriously one day, whereas girls will end up as SAHMs anyway.

Edited by GreenBeans
Sorry messed up quote but somehow can’t fix it.
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic