IGNORED

Erin & Chad 7: Reckless Behavior in a Pandemic Has Consequences

nelliebelle1197

2 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

I suppose it was impossible to teach at home with a baby and a toddler and of course daycare was never an option. 

If she was teaching for the money, daycare would be an unwise option. The cost of two children in daycare would eat up a hunk of what she made as a piano teacher.

Erin did not have the qualifications to charge big bucks as a piano teacher. I'm guessing she made $30-40/hour or so, at most. Daycare, at maybe $12/hour per child, wouldn't leave her much left over, and then there's taxes.

Even if she brought home more than I'm estimating, it probably wasn't much.

However, if she wanted to continue teaching for the joy of it, and was shamed out of it, that would be too bad. It doesn't seem like the Bates shame their women for working after childbirth, though, since Josie, Whitney, Erin, Alyssa and Carlin have all done so. So if she quit, it was probably because she wanted to quit. Maybe she really enjoyed being around her babies and wanted to be with them?

• Upvote 2

I am wondering if Erin is on some kind of home rest? She doesn't seem to have left her house much at all, the last time I can think of was when she visited her family when Chad updated her uncle's bathrooms and that was several months ago. Josie and Lawson have posted visiting her at her house (and she visited with Alyssa in June but I am not sure where) but she skipped Esther's shower and hasn't been at the boutique or anywhere outside her house, so I wonder if she is on medical orders with his pregnancy. 

• Upvote 6

6 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

Why? She'll have five small children soon, plus tons of animals, which must be a lot of work. Maybe she feels she can't do both well. If she's putting the kids first, I applaud her, actually. 

8 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

She left her beloved job as a piano teacher when Brooklyn was little. I suppose it was impossible to teach at home with a baby and a toddler and of course daycare was never an option. If she left something she enjoyed that much, she can easily leave her boutique business, that never seemed to be a fulfilling project for her.

I was just thinking economically it would not be a wise decision since the boutique seems to be doing very well and she and Chad seem like they need the money.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, llucie said:

I was just thinking economically it would not be a wise decision since the boutique seems to be doing very well and she and Chad seem like they need the money.

Chad’s business seems to be doing ok too, though (and I don’t know about Tennessee, but here contractors are in high demand) and I know he is now employing a few of the Bates boys. I can see the kids being the priority for them, but I can also see Erin’s health being the factor and making her step back. 

it is also that she and Carlin and Whitney had different opinions about what they wanted to sell. The clothes seem to be getting trendier Carlin said they will be expanding into jewellery and modest swimwear soon. 

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

it is also that she and Carlin and Whitney had different opinions about what they wanted to sell. The clothes seem to be getting trendier Carlin said they will be expanding into jewellery and modest swimwear soon. 

I've noticed this too! Erin is not someone I consider very fashionable. She dresses just like her mom - which is ok for Kelly, but looks a little odd on Erin who is all of what? 30?

• Upvote 10

12 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

Chad’s business seems to be doing ok too, though (and I don’t know about Tennessee, but here contractors are in high demand) and I know he is now employing a few of the Bates boys. I can see the kids being the priority for them, but I can also see Erin’s health being the factor and making her step back. 

I dont think he is doing that good, the teenage Bateses he has working for him seem to have a lot of free time. Warden was just at Alyssas helping with her kitchen, and Warden, Isaiah and Jackson are now helping with Zachs new house.

They probably have a lot of medical debt too with all the hight risk pregnancies and surgeries. I think if they were doing good finantially they would have bought a house by now.

They have workers now in the boutique so its not like they have to do everything themselves. If Erin wants to be a stay at home mom she still can remain an investor. It would be dumb to renounce to her part on a bussiness that is doing great.

Edited by llucie
to add
  • Upvote 8

20 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

I am wondering if Erin is on some kind of home rest? She doesn't seem to have left her house much at all, the last time I can think of was when she visited her family when Chad updated her uncle's bathrooms and that was several months ago. Josie and Lawson have posted visiting her at her house (and she visited with Alyssa in June but I am not sure where) but she skipped Esther's shower and hasn't been at the boutique or anywhere outside her house, so I wonder if she is on medical orders with his pregnancy. 

Maybe since it seems that her body does not develop any immunity to Covid she is trying to limit her exposure to others?

• Upvote 5
  • Rufus Bless 2

1 hour ago, nolongerIFBx said:

Maybe since it seems that her body does not develop any immunity to Covid she is trying to limit her exposure to others?

Maybe..though my guess is pregnancy related, during my last pregnancy I was advised to be on light rest and leave the house only when I had too. I wasn't on bed rest but I wasn't supposed to go anywhere or do any heavy exertion. 

• Upvote 1

On 9/18/2021 at 6:01 PM, rebeccawriter01 said:

My cousin's daughter - idiot that she is (that's me being kind) - was diagnosed with PCOS. When she began posting on Facebook about spending the night at her boyfriend's house when she was 17, I called and talked to my aunt who is the grandmother. My aunt told me it was no big deal and that she didn't need birth control because of PCOS. I told her that she was insane and the girl would be pregnant by the end of the year. Sure enough two months later I was having dinner with said aunt and hearing how she was going to be a great-grandmother. 

I have a family member with almost the exact same story but she was at least out of high school 🙄

She was on socials crying about a Dr telling her she would never have a baby. I immediately called my sister so we could take bets on when she would show up pregnant.....like a month late "OMG it's a miracle!!!"

The state of reproductive health education in this country is abysmal. 

• Upvote 9

So Carlin said the Bates threw a big party for Tiffany’s parents and everyone went to the big house. But, we also saw Tiffany’s parents at Erin’s house playing games adn I am really thinking that Erin is on some kind of house rest. Maybe she went to the big house too, who knows, but we do know that Tiffany and Lawson specifically brought her parents to see Erin, which doesn’t surprise me Becuase Lawson and Erin have always seemed close. 

• Upvote 8

On 9/19/2021 at 8:35 PM, CanadianMamam said:

Whitney and Carlin both seem to prefer the trendy, the brands, etc. They like the more expensive things personally and that's fine. Even as of 18 months or so ago Erin was talking about finding a dress or skirt at a thrift store. While both Erin and Carlin seem to speak fondly of their childhoods and life in a large family, they have different expressions of it. Erin essentially wants to recreate her childhood for her kids. She wants a more rural life with tons of kids and nightly Bible study as a family. Note she is one of the only adult children to not have a television - again mirroring the Bates of old. Carlin seems to remember her childhood fondly but is more interested in creating a life that she missed out on by giving Layla and now the new baby everything she didn't have growing up. With the recent videos of Layla imitating one of her cousins on Evan's side with dance, I can picture Layla is about to be enrolled in some dance classes - a no-no from the previous Bates way of life. 

Whitney used to be all about pleasing Kelly Jo and fitting into the family. She and Erin hung out because for quite a while they were the two married ones with Alyssa being in Florida and then Michaela moving away for a while. Now there are more married women for Whitney to be around we're seeing a bit more of a more natural or casual Whitney instead of the outsider. I think that trend will grow as some of the boys get married and she is not the only daughter-in-law. 

For a while Carlin was the outsider in the boutique group because she wasn't married at the start of it and then she was a newlywed with no kids. However, that seems to be shifting to Erin who has been absent because of COVID and other issues. Whitney and Carlin seem to have more in common. I think it is plausible that Whitney and Carlin began making more and more decisions without Erin. They may have called to include her but that usually (in the real world) consists of two telling the other one that they talked and decided. Erin probably was in a position where she might not agree but what could she do...she wasn't there and 2/3 of the business agreed. 

As for Chad's business...I have to say I wonder about the feasibility of it. He is a good handyman and a hobbiest in terms of working with wood. However, that is a bit of a leap into the contractor role. For example, does he have others who work with him besides the teen brothers. I know when I hire a contractor for work at my home I expect seasoned professionals to show up. I want people with licenses, bonding, insurance, etc. I don't want someone who has seen it done and thinks he can.    

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

@rebeccawriter01i mean these days contractors (at least here ) have a year wait list, so I can’t imagine any contracting business not doing well. But I also know that when I hired our contractor, I was more interested in recommendations than certifications. Ours was more of a handyman but he gave highly recommended and did great work. 

• Upvote 8

50 minutes ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

As for Chad's business...I have to say I wonder about the feasibility of it. He is a good handyman and a hobbiest in terms of working with wood. However, that is a bit of a leap into the contractor role. For example, does he have others who work with him besides the teen brothers. I know when I hire a contractor for work at my home I expect seasoned professionals to show up. I want people with licenses, bonding, insurance, etc. I don't want someone who has seen it done and thinks he can.    

I know. While Chad seems to be handy enough, I wouldn't hire him unless he was insured and bonded, both him AND the Bates boys. I'd also be uncomfortable with those uneducated, unskilled, cocky teenage boys using nail guns and other dangerous equipment on my property.

If everyone isn't insured and bonded, it's a huge liability if someone gets hurt. 

Warden had two weeks to spend with Alyssa, which means  that Chad probably didn't  need for him. That's not a good sign for Paine Construction.

The fact that there's a high demand for contractors in some areas does not mean that Chad's business is successful. There are so many other factors. Mostly importantly, does he bid high enough to cover his expenses? If he does bid high enough, is he getting jobs at that price? 

Until recently, lumber prices have been astronomically high. I think that has hurt all contractors. Even if customers accept their bids, the high cost of materials will often cut into profits. Fortunately, the price dropped again recently, but things like this really affect a business' profitability.

Another problem is that they are one injury away from having no income. Chad's young now, but he'll be 40 in a few years. What happens if he hurts his back (as Kelly Crawford's husband did a few years ago)? There's no income till he recovers, unless he has insurance.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 4

Hmmm... I might walk back by thoughts that Chad must be doing ok. They haven't posted a project on the construction firm instagram since June. Although that isn't unusual because the precious post before that was in 2020. I do hope his company is doing ok because he has a lot of mouths to feed. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

Hmmm... I might walk back by thoughts that Chad must be doing ok. They haven't posted a project on the construction firm instagram since June. Although that isn't unusual because the precious post before that was in 2020. I do hope his company is doing ok because he has a lot of mouths to feed. 

He might also be so busy/preoccupied that he hasn't posted on social media. I just don't think we can know anything about the state of his business from what we see online.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

15 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

@rebeccawriter01i mean these days contractors (at least here ) have a year wait list, so I can’t imagine any contracting business not doing well. But I also know that when I hired our contractor, I was more interested in recommendations than certifications. Ours was more of a handyman but he gave highly recommended and did great work. 

I get that. I just don't think that any of these people are actually good business people. Kelton's business seems to be doing well and he has more than t-shirts so that might be the exception. While Chad probably gets jobs, is he investing the money back into the business? Does he buy tools and supplies or pay the rent on the house with Erin? He's hired Trace, Warden, Jackson, Isaiah, but are they getting an hourly wage or is it a salary? How much do they know? How much training has he had? Is he seeking more or happy with what he's got? Are the jobs just things he does for people through church with a discount? Is he paying for liability insurance? Do his prices reflect his costs? There is more to a successful business than being busy. 

In that area of Tennessee, jack of all trades contractors (non specialty) are a dime a dozen. Six of my cousins are contractors in that area - mostly because they know a few things but not enough to get a good paying job working for someone else. The only reason they ever have a wait list is a lack of supplies. It is part of the culture of the area that men are all supposed to know how to do these things. You don't call in someone to fix it or upgrade it without a lot of ribbing from your friends and family. I wanted to put new countertops on an investment property I own in Clinton, TN. Half the contractors I interviewed and talked to about the job practically shamed me for hiring it out. 

• Upvote 6

7 hours ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

He's hired Trace, Warden, Jackson, Isaiah, but are they getting an hourly wage or is it a salary?

I strongly suspect he is paying them by the hour, probably minimum wage. How could he offer them a salary if he doesn't know if he can keep them steadily employed? For example, the winter might be a slow time and then he'd be paying them without having work for them.

The fact that Warden had a couple of week to work for Alyssa also indicates that Chad's paying them by the hour. I supposed Alyssa and John asked Warden to come down to do a few jobs and are paying him by the hour, too. If I had jobs that needed doing, and a handy, partially-employed brother, I'd do the same. Warden's not going to do a shoddy job, or substitute crappy materials, if it's for his sister.

• Upvote 6

Trace posted a story of them back to work today, putting it hard wood floors. But I also assume they are hourly, because every construction/tradesperson I know is paid hourly.

• Upvote 4

The only Bates SIL's capable of supporting a family are John, Kelton, and Bobby (who is in business with Kelton.  HVAC & plumbing are good, well paying trades, especially in the south.  The sons and other SIL's I have serious doubts about.

• Upvote 4

46 minutes ago, RosyDaisy said:

The only Bates SIL's capable of supporting a family are John, Kelton, and Bobby (who is in business with Kelton.  HVAC & plumbing are good, well paying trades, especially in the south.  The sons and other SIL's I have serious doubts about.

No Evan?

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

Bobby got really lucky with his friendship with Kelton, otherwise he would be stuck with ministry, since that is what he studied for. I am glad he realiced that ministry was not going to cut it to support Toris quiver early on though.

Also we dont really know how much exactly does Nathan makes as a pilot instructor but it is possible he is doing good.

The rest of the brothers who work for Chad i highly doubt they are making even minimum wage. And i know construction doesnt pay bad, but they dont work full time so taking that into account i dont know how they will support a family with that.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

19 hours ago, MaryOrMartha said:

No Evan?

No.  I think he fancies himself and Carlin as influencers.  I hope I'm wrong for his family's sake.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

Erin uploaded a youtube video today decorating her house for fall. 4 videos in the last month after 1 year of not posting. Maybe she is giving the youtuber influencer thing another try,

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

On 9/23/2021 at 11:49 PM, llucie said:

Erin uploaded a youtube video today decorating her house for fall. 4 videos in the last month after 1 year of not posting. Maybe she is giving the youtuber influencer thing another try,

Goodness, her decor is getting just as agressively beige as Carlin and Josie.

• Upvote 3
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 3

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic