IGNORED

Erin & Chad 7: Reckless Behavior in a Pandemic Has Consequences

nelliebelle1197

23 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

Rylee and Jaxon fit with Finley? I don't understand how or why they fit together.

Yes, that's why Chad chose it, IMO! He picked the most conventional sounding name. 

I mean that names that are considered “unusual” or “nontraditional” won’t be so uncommon in the future. 

• Upvote 5

On 10/21/2021 at 3:25 PM, CanadianMamam said:

I think of MacKenzie as a girl’s name regardless. I don’t know a single male Mackenzie, but have met a dozen or so girls with the name.

Since someone else mentioned baseball player names--there is a player in the Phillies minor league system named McKenzie, but he goes by Mickey. I figure that the use of "Mc" instead of "Mac" is what distinguishes the male version from the female version? 

I know two women named Harbor, but they’re both around my age (mid-fifties). I live in a coastal state, so maybe that’s why?

• Upvote 5

5 hours ago, artdecades said:

I mean that names that are considered “unusual” or “nontraditional” won’t be so uncommon in the future. 

You think that in 30 years, "Harbor" will be as common as "Elizabeth"? Not so sure.

9 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

You think that in 30 years, "Harbor" will be as common as "Elizabeth"? Not so sure.

Absolutely not. I said that unusual, nontraditional names will be more common. Not specific names. I already see it with the kids and teens I work with. No one bats an eye at Thisbe or Sage or whatever. Because everyone knows people with uncommon names. 

• Upvote 8

7 minutes ago, artdecades said:

Absolutely not. I said that unusual, nontraditional names will be more common. Not specific names. I already see it with the kids and teens I work with. No one bats an eye at Thisbe or Sage or whatever. Because everyone knows people with uncommon names. 

Also, Harper, Gianna, and Luna are all currently more commonly used than the name Elizabeth. No one would have expected that 30 years ago. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Johannah said:

Also, Harper, Gianna, and Luna are all currently more commonly used than the name Elizabeth. No one would have expected that 30 years ago. 

Yep. I have an Elizabeth and her classmates are all names things like Peyton, Jaxon, and Everley. I know two Ensleys and a Kinsley. 

• Upvote 8

Funny that a FB friend just named her child Elizabeth. She also has a William. I think those types of baby names are more popular amongst educated, white, older parents. Where I live, it’s very white and most people are middle class or higher. They are educated and older when they have kids. There are very few names with “unique spellings” and many are traditional European type names. There is actually a Holland in the neighborhood, lol. But that family started having kids young and the kids have rather unique names. Younger parents definitely go for trendier more unique names. 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Johannah said:

My daughter has a Harper, a Luna, and 2 Guilianas (close). She does have a Gianna on her sports team.

Edited by justmy2cents

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Funny that a FB friend just named her child Elizabeth. She also has a William. I think those types of baby names are more popular amongst educated, white, older parents. Where I live, it’s very white and most people are middle class or higher. They are educated and older when they have kids. There are very few names with “unique spellings” and many are traditional European type names. There is actually a Holland in the neighborhood, lol. But that family started having kids young and the kids have rather unique names. Younger parents definitely go for trendier more unique names. 

It's funny because my husband and I are white, well educated and had our babies in our late 20s/early 30s (for me, early to mid 30s for him) and our kids all have traditional names. I live in a hipstery area though and the names defintirly trend toward the unique. 

• Love 1

1 hour ago, CanadianMamam said:

It's funny because my husband and I are white, well educated and had our babies in our late 20s/early 30s (for me, early to mid 30s for him) and our kids all have traditional names. I live in a hipstery area though and the names defintirly trend toward the unique. 

The region of the US definitely matters too. 

• Upvote 2

When I was studying education in 2009, every kid was named Avery. Boys, girls, it didn't matter. It got to the point that if I didn't know who did something, I wouldn't turn around. I would just call out the name Avery and 8 times out of 10 it stopped. 

• Haha 10

19 hours ago, Anna Bolinas said:

Since someone else mentioned baseball player names--there is a player in the Phillies minor league system named McKenzie, but he goes by Mickey. I figure that the use of "Mc" instead of "Mac" is what distinguishes the male version from the female version? 

Hee hee.  Fellow Phillies fan here--I should have known by your location that you were a fellow sufferer!

My young adult/Gen Z son knew two completely separate kids named Seven---one was a boy and one was a girl.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

How about Dawson for a girl? All of the younger people around me are either choosing the more old fashioned names or very tryndy names, it's one extreme or the other.

Edited by Smoochie
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, artdecades said:

There were almost no Finleys until 2005 in the US. It's strikingly different with the more classic names.

Elizabeth, for example, has been between 1st and 27th most popular name for a little girl since 1880. 1880!  It was usually in the top 15. There have been many Elizabeths every single year for over 130 years.

"Elizabeth's" popularity is consistent and strong--in 1900 it was the 6th most popular name of that year. In 1975, it was #15. In 2005, it was #11. There are lots of Elizabeths--of every age--alive today.

In contrast, Finley isn't even on the chart until 2005, when it was the 984th most popular girls name of that year. It's popularity has grown slowly since then. It's never made it above 159 in 2017, though. And it's popularity has been dropping since then.

It's true, in 30 years, there will be a handful of Finleys in their early 30s. But there won't be any Finleys older than that, and probably not many younger Finleys.  There'll just be a group of thirty-something women whose parents saddled them with that name.

At that point, Finley will have disappeared from the charts. Parents yearning to be different will have moved onto another unconventional name which will be popular for a few years and then disappear.

https://www.behindthename.com/name/finley/top

Edited by Jackie3

It’s funny because even though you can’t tell the age of a person if their name is Elizabeth, you can tell their age by their nickname. If they are nicknamed Betty or Betsy, they are probably pretty old. If they are nicknamed Beth or Liz, they are probably adults, but not elderly. If they are nicknamed Ellie or Eliza, they are probably kids. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 4

27 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

It’s funny because even though you can’t tell the age of a person if their name is Elizabeth, you can tell their age by their nickname. If they are nicknamed Betty or Betsy, they are probably pretty old. If they are nicknamed Beth or Liz, they are probably adults, but not elderly. If they are nicknamed Ellie or Eliza, they are probably kids. 

I like Elizabeth, I wish more people would just by Elizabeth

• Upvote 8

31 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

My daughter is a Betty and apparently it's the go to nickname for Elizabeth now. Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively have a Betty. I remember reading on baby center after my daughter was born that Betty is on the rise.  Buy names tend to go in 80-100 year cycles which is why names like Edith and Clara and Walter are coming back. 

• Upvote 5

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic