IGNORED

Alyssa and John 7: Laura Ingalls, Something, Something...

samurai_sarah

I have always thought that Alyssa's true dream life would be that of a sorority girl at a SEC University. 

• Upvote 19

I feel like a dumbass, but.... you guys say ''dinner'' with two ''n''s, but not dinning?

Disclaimer: French native speaker here.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Vivi_music said:

I feel like a dumbass, but.... you guys say ''dinner'' with two ''n''s, but not dinning?

Disclaimer: French native speaker here.

Yes, we say dinner. Pronounced Din-ner. 

Dining is pronounced Dine-ing. We “Dine” for dinner. 

Also, a “Diner” is a little cheap restaurant. Pronounced Dye-ner.

I understand how American English is confusing. It confuses me sometimes too! And I’ve spoken it my whole life!

Actually I’m going to guess there will be someone else on this thread to explain better than me. I’m a terrible English teacher!

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 12

22 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Yes, we say dinner. Pronounced Din-ner. 

Dining is pronounced Dine-ing. We “Dine” for dinner. 

Also, a “Diner” is a little cheap restaurant. Pronounced Dye-ner.

I understand how American English is confusing. It confuses me sometimes too! And I’ve spoken it my whole life!

Actually I’m going to guess there will be someone else on this thread to explain better than me. I’m a terrible English teacher!

I do not claim this is a BETTER explanation but from my homeschool 1st/2nd grade English grammar lessons POV:

If you have Vowel/Consonant/E then the silent "E" make the previous vowel say it's name/make a long sound. 

If you have Vowel/Consonant/Consonant/E the E is not silent and the vowel before a double consonant makes a short vowel sound. 

USUALLY. There may be exceptions to those two rules but I can't think of any examples off the top of my head.

Edited by Grace
  • Upvote 9

4 minutes ago, Grace said:

I do not claim this is a BETTER explanation but from my homeschool 1st/2nd grade English grammar lessons POV:

If you have Vowel/Consonant/E then the silent "E" make the previous vowel say it's name/make a long sound. 

If you have Vowel/Consonant/Consonant/E the E is not silent and the vowel before a double consonant makes a short vowel sound. 

USUALLY. There may be exceptions to those two rules but I can't think of any examples off the top of my head.

This is a better explanation. This is why I have a hard time homeschooling my second grader during this pandemic. I just explain things so poorly. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 3

12 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

And did a poll asking other moms if they came back to work out at 6 or 8 weeka pospartum. As if she didn't know that many women cannot workout that early, because not all births are easy as hers, neither have plenty of free time to work out and make up.

I'm as lucky as her in the easy births/recovery yet I'm ashamed of her posts. Mamy of my friends struggled with pospartum bodies or c-section recovery or sleepless nights etc. It's cruel to show them how slim and active you are!  

You know, I’m one of those who REALLY struggled post partum. I was in so much pain for five weeks (!) after my (unplanned) c-section that I could barely walk around the house or hold our baby, let alone working out. But honestly, I still feel sorry for Alyssa. Because bragging about her easy recovery from a birth is basically all she has.

When I was her age, I was in university, living abroad, traveling the world, learning new languages, falling in love... And after that I started working in a field I love , found an awesome, challenging job (I’m a lawyer in a fairly big firm), made things work long distance with my husband for several years, and only now got married and had a baby in my mid-thirties.

Yes, my post partum body looks nothing like hers (and never will), and the first weeks after that c-section SUCKED big time (physically and mentally), but man, I’m so so SO much happier than Alyssa will likely ever be. My husband took care of everything while I was feeling awful after the birth (all household chores, taking care of baby boy, all while cleaning my breast pump set every two hours and dealing with me feeling awful etc.). He loves staying home with baby boy for the first year while I’m back to work, we share the housework, we have known each other long enough to know we have similar ideas about raising a child, our baby boy will get a good education for sure, and we BOTH have had fulfilling lives and careers before deciding to have a baby, and will continue to do so.

Yes, post partum was a nightmare and I was miserable for several weeks. But living Alyssa’s life (great post partum body and all) would be a never-ending nightmare for me. So yeah, I feel sorry for her.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 28

Three weeks post partum  and she’s there painting the new house with Carlin and co. At three weeks post partum  I was sleeping when I could, jiggling a screaming baby, spending 1/4 of my life breastfeeding, struggling to keep up with the mounting piles of washing, and trying to find time for a shower each day. I’m assuming the in-laws are looking after the three older girls, but how on earth does she have the energy to paint?

Oh and John hadn’t heard that you shouldn’t stand on the topmost step of a ladder.64A67834-642B-434B-A107-4391F1378748.thumb.jpeg.11d824c152eea4fc50295b9df480ec27.jpeg

• Upvote 10
  • WTF 4
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Karma said:

Three weeks post partum  and she’s there painting the new house with Carlin and co. At three weeks post partum  I was sleeping when I could, jiggling a screaming baby, spending 1/4 of my life breastfeeding, struggling to keep up with the mounting piles of washing, and trying to find time for a shower each day. I’m assuming the in-laws are looking after the three older girls, but how on earth does she have the energy to paint?

Oh and John hadn’t heard that you shouldn’t stand on the topmost step of a ladder.64A67834-642B-434B-A107-4391F1378748.thumb.jpeg.11d824c152eea4fc50295b9df480ec27.jpeg

I had so much anxiety watching John stand on that ladder that way. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

On 3/5/2021 at 2:02 PM, GreenBeans said:

When I was her age, I was in university, living abroad, traveling the world, learning new languages, falling in love...

I honestly think that if Alyssa was not raised fundie, was allowed to get a normal education, go to college, encouraged to spread her own wings via work, travel etc., she would be living a entirely different life at this point instead of what she has now.  Don't get me wrong, I think she and John are happy together but let's face it, she's was raised to only aspire to certain things.   She might be happy with that but when I see her instagram pictures I get the feeling of someone who wants to play sorority girl with a husband and family in tow. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 6

1 hour ago, nokidsmom said:

I honestly think that if Alyssa was not raised fundie, was allowed to get a normal education, go to college, encouraged to spread her own wings via work, travel etc., she would be living a entirely different life at this point instead of what she has now.  Don't get me wrong, I think she and John are happy together but let's face it, she's was raised to only aspire to certain things.   She might be happy with that but when I see her instagram pictures I get the feeling of someone who wants to play sorority girl with a husband and family in tow. 

I remember Alyssa with her kids at one of her father in law's political events. It looked like a really fun event for a sociable young woman in her early 20's, if she had been free to talk, drink, joke etc. But instead, Alyssa had three very young babies (I think Zoey was an infant). So she stood off to the side, looking lovely, all dressed up with stilettos, full makeup, but unable to talk to anyone for long. It must have been so frustrating for her, no matter how much she loves her kids. If you have three kids in tow, aged 0-3, you really can't talk to anyone for more than 3 sentences. 

I think Alyssa will have a really hard time when her kids get older and start having the experiences she missed (I can't believe they'll all marry at 19 like she did). Or when they start becoming teenagers and she joins the "older generation." In ten years, Allie will be almost 16 and Alyssa will still be in her mid-thirties, and will have missed so much.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 14

I wonder who was watching Layla? Did E and C bring along a batesitter? Did they leave her with John’s mom? If so, she’s a really nice lady. 5 YO, 4YO, 2 YO a and 1 YO? 

• I Agree 7

11 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I wonder who was watching Layla? Did E and C bring along a batesitter? Did they leave her with John’s mom? If so, she’s a really nice lady. 5 YO, 4YO, 2 YO a and 1 YO? 

I wondered and thought the same thing. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

I remember Alyssa with her kids at one of her father in law's political events. It looked like a really fun event for a sociable young woman in her early 20's, if she had been free to talk, drink, joke etc. But instead, Alyssa had three very young babies (I think Zoey was an infant). So she stood off to the side, looking lovely, all dressed up with stilettos, full makeup, but unable to talk to anyone for long. It must have been so frustrating for her, no matter how much she loves her kids. If you have three kids in tow, aged 0-3, you really can't talk to anyone for more than 3 sentences. 

I think Alyssa will have a really hard time when her kids get older and start having the experiences she missed (I can't believe they'll all marry at 19 like she did). Or when they start becoming teenagers and she joins the "older generation." In ten years, Allie will be almost 16 and Alyssa will still be in her mid-thirties, and will have missed so much.

While I wholeheartedly agree with you, I think that in one’s mid-thirties, it isn’t too late to catch up on some missed experiences (at least I hope so but I’m not in my 30s yet - but soon - so I can’t talk from experience). So I do hope Alyssa can then still do what she should have done in her 20s. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

13 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

She'll end up like Hillary Spivey, Christina Caldwell, Jill R, and to some extent Kelly and Michelle trying to be one of the girls in her late 30s/early 40s. 

Edited by Bluebirdbluebell
  • Upvote 20

6 hours ago, FluffySnowball said:

While I wholeheartedly agree with you, I think that in one’s mid-thirties, it isn’t too late to catch up on some missed experiences (at least I hope so but I’m not in my 30s yet - but soon - so I can’t talk from experience). So I do hope Alyssa can then still do what she should have done in her 20s. 

I know. That's completely true. I didn't mean to imply that life was over at 29 (believe me, I'm way over that). I meant that it will be hard for her to have beautiful grown daughters, getting all the attention that she didn't get in her twenties. Perhaps I worded it wrong.

I hope that when Allie is 26, she is not taking a picture of her midriff and posting it online. I hope she is out there, meeting people, traveling and having fun. 

• Upvote 8

21 hours ago, nokidsmom said:

I get that vibe from several of the married Bates girls. They’re outgoing, sociable, young, pretty, they love make up and fashion - they’re not exactly cut out for the modest, plain, homemaker lifestyle their brand of Christianity promotes. So they try to put a godly spin on whatever “worldly” thing they do and stuff they buy.

Honestly, apart from being a well-educated working woman, I fit their brand better than these girls do. I don’t care much for clothing, and usually dress to blend in, not to stand out (isn’t that the definition of “modest”?). I haven’t worn make up in more than a year. I simply don’t care that much and am confident enough without make up. I tend to think that people like and respect me for who I am, the way I act and the quality of my work, rather than my appearance. And when I have free time I often cook or bake, I only cook from scratch (I hate most ready-made food) and I love quilting. I’m more of a homemaker than these girls are (on top of a full time job).

• Upvote 18
  • Love 3

3 minutes ago, AussieKrissy said:

Omfg creeper obsession level 1000

Tikki not only dictates Webster wardrobe, now she is also deciding their diet.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 9

I know John is a hard worker and A and the girls work the family show, but they are all very fortunate to have secured a decent home, with room for all, a pool and yard...AND have the money and time to remodel the entire thing and purchase new furnishings. I’ll admit, I am jealous. Our first home many decades ago was a bank repo fixer upper that took us years to slowly remodel before we sold it and moved on. And we both had good jobs and no kids for a good long time. The $$$$ side of fundieland never adds up to me.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 15

21 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I know John is a hard worker and A and the girls work the family show, but they are all very fortunate to have secured a decent home, with room for all, a pool and yard...AND have the money and time to remodel the entire thing and purchase new furnishings. I’ll admit, I am jealous. Our first home many decades ago was a bank repo fixer upper that took us years to slowly remodel before we sold it and moved on. And we both had good jobs and no kids for a good long time. The $$$$ side of fundieland never adds up to me.

Ugh, I know. I'm house hunting right now and since I don't want to live in a turn-key tiny condo, I will probably end up buying a small craftsman or ranch that was hideously remodeled in the 70's. I wish I had a huge family that could just show up and help me remodel (or rather, reverse the last remodel) but it most likely will be me and a bunch of YouTube tutorials over a year-long period. 

If only I had young children to exploit on my own YouTube channel to help with the down payment!

Edited by indianabones
  • Upvote 15

So far, the Tikki thing sounds like the first half hour of one of those bad Lifetime movies. Betrayed: The Fairy Godmonster or Secret Presents: One Dress Too Many. It is just weird.

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 12
  • I Agree 4

1 hour ago, Satan'sFortress said:

So far, the Tikki thing sounds like the first half hour of one of those bad Lifetime movies. Betrayed: The Fairy Godmonster or Secret Presents: One Dress Too Many. It is just weird.

Maybe Tikki also pays for new flooring and a complete kitchen remodel too? 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic