IGNORED

Alyssa and John 7: Laura Ingalls, Something, Something...

samurai_sarah

When I was a kid, we lived in a house with green carpet, green wallpaper, and green trim in almost every room (not sure what the former owner was thinking). To this day, I refuse to paint even one room green; I had enough of it at age seven. I wonder if in twenty years or so, we’ll have a generation of adults refusing to paint anything gray since they grew up in all-gray homes.

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 3

I’ve always preferred unpainted wood trim. Even when everyone was painting it white. I just like wood. It’s warm and cozy to me. I’ll never paint our wood trim. Plus the white trim shows all the dust. I don’t have to dust my base boards as much because no one can see the dust on my wood trim. It’s kind of a medium tone stain and it hides a lot.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, IsmeWeatherwax said:

@Melissa1977 I changed up my living room recently, I went with white for the walls, curtains, lamps, radiator cover, dark wood frames on my photo wall, stained my side board dark wood and then went nuts on the other bits!

I got an amazing multi coloured rug off amazon, its fair trade made in India by women and girls and they use the scraps from the clothing industry, also different coloured cushions. I love it now! I read once that your rooms should be done in a 60/30/10. 60% main colour, 30% accent colour and 10% striking colour. The only grey I have is the cat tree!

Oh that sounds lovely. If your comfortable do you have a link for the rug- I'm looking for one at the mo and they sound like a great organisation to support?

• Upvote 4

I’m gonna go out on a limb here, but the flooring she’s installing is one of my favorite kinds. We don’t own but had this type of flooring in the last place we lived. It’s amazing. Super durable, easy to clean, great at ‘hiding’ small messes and pretty much matches all sorts of decor. Very easy to add color to. I’ve always like neutrals on my floors and pops of color in my decor, like curtains, throw pillows, rugs, etc. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, treehugger said:

I am pretty interested in design, architecture and trends.  Grey is on the way out.  It had its ten year run, like the Tuscan phase before it, and is now looking a little dated.  White and black are the new trend.  

Interesting. I thought the English country home and lots of wood (if anyone knows the old IKEA wooden furniture when it was cheap as hell) was floating in.

I also see a return of 70s colours. Mustard/brown/orange/rust basically warm and earthy. Boho but without the pastels. 

3 hours ago, treehugger said:

I am pretty interested in design, architecture and trends.  Grey is on the way out.  It had its ten year run, like the Tuscan phase before it, and is now looking a little dated.  White and black are the new trend.  

Interesting. I thought the English country home and lots of wood (if anyone knows the old IKEA wooden furniture when it was cheap as hell) was floating in.

I also see a return of 70s colours. Mustard/brown/orange/rust basically warm and earthy. Boho but without the pastels. 

• Upvote 7

I just watched the latest YouTube home reno video. A couple of comments/questions:

Watching Allie “doing school” alone on a screen in a dark room with a closed door is so, so heartbreaking. This is what kids all over the world have been forced to do due to Covid and it has taken a massive toll on their academic performance and their mental health. And some of them at least occasionally had live instruction. A screen is not a substitute for school! Especially not for a 5 year old. The fact that she could be going to an actual school and socializing with other kids, and instead her parents are forcing her to be alone and tethered to a screen feels like educational abuse.

Alyssa says she’s been leaving all 4 girls with her MIL, but how does that work with nursing? Even if Maci is being bottle-fed, Alyssa would still have to pump which seems like it would be a time-consuming pain. But maybe Maci was only there for a few hours.  

They are ripping up potentially toxic materials and creating all kinds of dust with zero ventilation! There were no open windows or doors and no one was wearing masks.

Why are they ripping up seemingly perfectly good hardwood floors downstairs to put in vinyl??

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 1

38 minutes ago, just_ordinary said:

I think as far as styles go, the English country look is pretty popular (also pretty timeless IMHO), but white and black are the new “neutrals”, kind of how grey was “neutral” for the past ten years and beige was “neutral” before that.  

Cream walls and med tone wood floors are just my favourite, and lots of pops of colour from accents and furniture and curtains.  I much prefer the warmer tones of wood, and I am so glad the grey trend is going out. 

Edited by treehugger
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

We just finished our new build in the Orlando metro area. Our flooring is very similar to the flooring Alyssa put down- looks hard wood, but hard wood doesn't work down here due to the humidity. We also have a gray (grayish blue/slate, actually) and white thing going on (I've always liked gray- my two cats are gray). However, right now as our house isn't decorated, it DEFINITELY looks bland. However, we have our accent rug being delivered today and will slowly add more pops of color through art and decoration. 

Hopefully I get to enjoy it before it goes wildly out of style ?

image.png.a5ac578503d6c891fb62a27908ded83e.png

• Upvote 21
  • Love 10

11 minutes ago, Johannah said:

Why are they ripping up seemingly perfectly good hardwood floors downstairs to put in vinyl??

Hardwood floors aren't common in Florida because they don't do well with the humidity, so it's possible they weren't in great shape. There was also a leak in the dining room wall, so that hardwood may have been damaged. It also looked like the wood was only in the great room, but the kitchen and entry way had tile and the front den/schoolroom was carpet (that was already ripped up). So they probably wanted continuous flooring throughout. Vinyl is probably also more resistant to the everyday lives of 4 small children.  

• Upvote 9

@front hugs > duggs good decorating makes up for so much!  And if you like grey, who cares if it isn’t in anymore. Your floors look lovely! 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 2

21 minutes ago, front hugs > duggs said:

We just finished our new build in the Orlando metro area. Our flooring is very similar to the flooring Alyssa put down- looks hard wood, but hard wood doesn't work down here due to the humidity. We also have a gray (grayish blue/slate, actually) and white thing going on (I've always liked gray- my two cats are gray). However, right now as our house isn't decorated, it DEFINITELY looks bland. However, we have our accent rug being delivered today and will slowly add more pops of color through art and decoration. 

Hopefully I get to enjoy it before it goes wildly out of style ?

image.png.a5ac578503d6c891fb62a27908ded83e.png

I like the floors. They are warmer than a lot of what I’ve seen lately. It makes a huge difference in my opinion. I think your kitchen doesn’t look bland. I would think it was bland if it was monochromatic but I like the contrast of the floors and the cabinets. I think they complement each other.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 1

We went with a grey vinyl floor for our new kitchen as well. The rest of the apartment is hardwood floors, but I wouldn't want that in the kitchen. Our colour scheme for the cabinets was white/oak/sage green, though, so there's still plenty of warmth.

Spoiler

379C0C7E-B03B-4009-9804-F4CC36BF7B7A.thumb.jpeg.fdb252aafd24244ac8188d592723caef.jpeg

Edited by Nothing if not critical
  • Upvote 11
  • Love 5

I'm loving seeing y'all's pictures of your homes! I am a terrible decorator and now that I am moving from a 1 bedroom apartment to a rather large house, I am at a total loss for how to decorate it! We have very little furniture since we've been in an apartment and I've been scouring the internet and Pinterest for pieces and ideas of how to make everything look cohesive and bright. I love a mix of warm and cool toned blues, greens, and grays, and our house has those colors for the most part except our den, kitchen, and master bedroom are a creamy beige color. Our floors are the same kind of hard plank vinyl floors since I live in a high humidity state too and they are a warm, dark brown. As much as I don't like the overly grey design that Alyssa is doing for her house, I wish I had her vision of how all of it is going to go together. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

We need to put in a new kitchen floor. Ours is cheap builder-grade vinyl and is old enough to vote, buy alcohol, rent a car, and run for Congress.  It is past the point of being able to clean it. 

I was considering Vinyl Composition Tile (Anderson make it, among others.)  I think it is used a lot in schools, hospitals, etc. and looks very durable.  I want something easy to clean. This comes in lots of fun colors, too, and just looks very functional.

Anyone ever used this?

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, JanasTattooParlor said:

I'm loving seeing y'all's pictures of your homes! I am a terrible decorator and now that I am moving from a 1 bedroom apartment to a rather large house, I am at a total loss for how to decorate it! We have very little furniture since we've been in an apartment and I've been scouring the internet and Pinterest for pieces and ideas of how to make everything look cohesive and bright. I love a mix of warm and cool toned blues, greens, and grays, and our house has those colors for the most part except our den, kitchen, and master bedroom are a creamy beige color. Our floors are the same kind of hard plank vinyl floors since I live in a high humidity state too and they are a warm, dark brown. As much as I don't like the overly grey design that Alyssa is doing for her house, I wish I had her vision of how all of it is going to go together. 

Don't feel like you have to fill everything perfectly right away. We went from a small townhouse to a much bigger 4 bedroom house about 2 years ago and we still have some rooms that aren't "done." We started with the rooms where we planned to spend the most time (kitchen, great room, master bedroom) and spent a little bit of money making them how we wanted. It's amazing how adding something simple like a window treatment or a houseplant can make it feel much cozier.

I would recommend making a list of all the furniture you currently have and decide where it's going to go, then decide what furniture you need to fill the other rooms. You don't need to get it all right away, but it helps to have an idea of what you need when you're looking in case you see something you love or something is on sale. 

I also love a good statement wall/piece/room. Our entire downstairs is painted a light grey/beige similar to Alyssa's. But I wanted a statement dining room so we went with a bold color and non-standard molding. 

Spoiler

1561249484_diningroom.thumb.jpg.346e65c7f34d5e1bd1685ac78d788e3e.jpg

• Upvote 15
  • Love 9

And now they are hanging wallpaper. I think Alyssa rather likes her childfree days. Too bad, she might have made a nice interior decorator or office worker.  Instead she’s stuck poorly educating kids she seems rather disinterested in. 

• Upvote 16

I just moved from a one bed one bath 550 sq ft condo to a 2 bed 2 bath double wide manufactured home with a little over 1,000 sq ft. I love that things arent crammed into a small space.  After loving on a small space, I can't stand clutter.  I did get some stuff from my mom as she is moving to a place with a different layout.  She doesn't have room or a need for some stuff so she gave them to me 

• Upvote 6

7 hours ago, treehugger said:

You can also decorate your house in the colors you personally like. That's what we do. When we sell, we repaint in whatever is "trendy."

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 5

Re: the grey. We finally got our grey kitchen.” last summer. We wanted one for over then years now. Before grey was trend, and now that it’s on the way out we finally were able to do it. I think in the end you need to pick what you really want. And it’s pretty normal to want to redecorate from time to time. Taste and trends change.

Spoiler

4AF1C542-8076-463C-AD97-FE5BC07825AB.thumb.jpeg.d71c374ded72d382233d7d496a82337c.jpeg

*shortly after it was build in. Fridge is now next to the cupboard and so on

• Upvote 12
  • Love 7

I am watching their latest YT video and Alyssa said that Addie and Ellie came to town with the brothers so the girls were probably with them when Alyssa was at the house in the IG stories yesterday.

Edited by dawn9476
  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 3

Trendy colours aren’t bad.  And no one will even notice it’s a trendy colour unless you go way overboard and do everything in that colour.  I don’t hate the colour grey - it is a perfectly beautiful colour.  It’s when the floor, walls, cupboards and tiles are all greyish that it can be placed as being decorated in the grey trend.  And there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that either, it is just easy to look at and guess between what years the kitchen and flooring was installed. That’s all.  

The top kitchen looks very much like it was installed during the grey trend.

The one underneath, while also grey, is harder to date because of the wood floor and white walls.  

(Images taken off of google)

8EEE244B-F7FC-46C8-AC71-0912CAFB6E24.jpeg

CD374483-805D-4474-ACF6-B4C0ED7AFA4C.jpeg

1 hour ago, Jackie3 said:

You can also decorate your house in the colors you personally like. That's what we do. When we sell, we repaint in whatever is "trendy."

I wish everyone would decorate in the colours they like.  It would be so much more interesting!  

Edited by treehugger
  • Upvote 10
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

I wouldn’t go too crazy adding more color to the nice gray kitchen above. Life itself will take care of that:

A counter full of kitchen appliances of various colors (don’t make that matchy matchy mistake!) and a sink full of dirty pots and pans will help. Consider cooking more southern Italian food—tomato splatters are good for that homey touch. Finally, adopt a big orange cat. Imagine how he will look on the counter, slowly and tenderly washing his face. 

• Upvote 11
  • Haha 2
  • Love 3

15 minutes ago, dawn9476 said:

I am watching their latest YT video and Alyssa said that Addie and Ellie came to town with the brothers so the girls were probably with them when Alyssa was at the house in the IG stories yesterday.

This was footage from last week. I started to figured it was when she only showed the 3 siblings in town and how they were going to start painting "this weekend." They did paint last weekend with Evan & Carlin.

• Upvote 5

• Coconut Flan locked this topic