IGNORED

Alyssa and John 7: Laura Ingalls, Something, Something...

samurai_sarah

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

I think there might have been another bedroom upstairs, as I’m sure they’ll have a guest bedroom, for now at least. Also did they just partition off part of the living room to make that front room that they were calling the “home school” room? Was it open at the top so that you could look down into it from the upstairs? 

I didnt see any other door upstair, just the 4 for the 3 bedrooms and 1 bathroom. Yes you can see the school room from the stairs... I think the house is super ugly personally, but it is a huge upgrade for them.

• Upvote 4

Pools in Florida have to have a "barrier" that completely encloses the pool.  But a pool cage (screened-in pool- very common in Florida, weird to all non-Floridians) counts as a barrier.  And the screen of pool cages are frequently torn/broken from animals and wind.

Edited by MomJeans
  • Upvote 9

14 hours ago, becky_m2001 said:

Pool safety when I was growing up at my grandparents house consisted of these two phrases:

"Go near the pool without me and I'll beat your ass" or "If you fall in the pool and drown after I told you to stay away it's your own fault"

And that, ladies and gentlemen, was parenting in the 80's. I learned from a very young age to never go near the pool unsupervised.

I grew up in the 70's. Pool safety was "Go through the Red Cross swim training program. Every year you advance to a different level. You'll be solid swimmer within  a year or two, and learn more useful skills after that." All the families around us put their kids through this (inexpensive) program.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

16 hours ago, becky_m2001 said:

Pool safety when I was growing up at my grandparents house consisted of these two phrases:

"Go near the pool without me and I'll beat your ass" or "If you fall in the pool and drown after I told you to stay away it's your own fault"

And that, ladies and gentlemen, was parenting in the 80's. I learned from a very young age to never go near the pool unsupervised.

Children drowned in pools in the 80s. Many of them. I'm sure those children had been warned to stay away from the water, too. 

Fences help save the children who don't listen to their parents, or who are too young to understand.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 11

4 hours ago, MomJeans said:

Pools in Florida have to have a "barrier" that completely encloses the pool.  But a pool cage (screened-in pool- very common in Florida, weird to all non-Floridians) counts as a barrier.  And the screen of pool cages are frequently torn/broken from animals and wind.

I'm not sure just a cage on it's own meets the state requirement. I know when my parents built their house, they had to have a 4 ft. high removable fabric fence installed directly around the pool in addition to their cage. Something like this

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

I watched the video: while they agreed to put up a fence, John also mentioned setting up ground rules, and that “their kids are obedient, so setting up ground rules they’ll follow then.” That seems crazy to me, a 2-year old won’t necessarily even know they shouldn’t be doing it, and even a 6-year old might shoot their ball in the pool and go after it without thinking. Seems crazy to expect the kids to follow such kinds of rules. Also, they must be either insanely lucky with their kids, or do something to make them have such faith in their obedience. If someone had told me: don’t go there, that would have been the first place I would have gone.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, tanba said:

I watched the video: while they agreed to put up a fence, John also mentioned setting up ground rules, and that “their kids are obedient, so setting up ground rules they’ll follow then.” That seems crazy to me, a 2-year old won’t necessarily even know they shouldn’t be doing it, and even a 6-year old might shoot their ball in the pool and go after it without thinking. Seems crazy to expect the kids to follow such kinds of rules. Also, they must be either insanely lucky with their kids, or do something to make them have such faith in their obedience. If someone had told me: don’t go there, that would have been the first place I would have gone.

Even if the kids are trying to be obedient, the pool is so alluring. The water would be such a draw to a child. No matter how many promises they made to their dad, I could see young kids "forgetting." Especially Zoey and Lexi, who are only 2 and 4. You can't trust a 2-year olds promises, John!

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 5

It sounds like they want to tear down the existing fence and put a different one up. And have a lock on it. 

Edited by dawn9476
  • Upvote 3

I have been doing deep dive of Bate and Duggar clips on YT and I found this clip of Duggar and Bates girls with their moms on trip at a lake. I can't tell if Alyssa is any of the girls that seems to be in the lake swimming without a lifejacket after jumping in. Erin is wearing a lifejacket but that looks to be for the kayaking further into the lake. 

Edited by dawn9476
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 4

Not germane to the swimming topic, but I just watched that clip, and every time I see the Duggars and Bateses together I am always reminded of just how unlikable the Duggars are by comparison. They're all part of the same terrible cult, but the Bateses come off as so much more articulate, charismatic and natural compared to the Duggars. Michelle and her baby talk just frightens me.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4

11 hours ago, tanba said:

The Bates's have been influenced/follow the Pearls who believe in house proofing the toddler not childproofing a house.  The Pearls would leave out dangerous things, tell the kids not to go near it and then beat them if they did.

Their kids are probably obedient because they've been beaten into submission (even the 2 year old?).

(I'm not advocating beating your kids into submission so you don't have to worry about pool safety - even an obedient kid can have an oops impulse control moment).

• Upvote 14
  • Sad 3
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 2

BEC but ffs Alyssa’s dress in the photo shoot was to dam freakin long. There was only one decent pic where she pulled the length off I think she had her back to the photographer and the dress gave the desired floaty and free feel I assume she was going for.  The rest of the pics it just looked like it needed to be hemmed... 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

21 hours ago, llucie said:

I didnt see any other door upstair, just the 4 for the 3 bedrooms and 1 bathroom. Yes you can see the school room from the stairs... I think the house is super ugly personally, but it is a huge upgrade for them.

i think the "school room" was probably initially partitioned off as a home office, which is pretty common. There were three bedrooms upstairs (master plus two for the girls) and a master bath and hall bath. But there was another bedroom on the ground floor by the downstairs bath and backdoor (around 1:30) that Alyssa said would be the guestroom. So it seems to be a 3 bath 4 bedroom house overall.

Edited by metheglyn
Spelling
  • Upvote 5
  • Thank You 4

1 hour ago, metheglyn said:

i think the "school room" was probably initially partitioned off as a home office, which is pretty common. There were three bedrooms upstairs (master plus two for the girls) and a master bath and hall bath. But there was another bedroom on the ground floor by the downstairs bath and backdoor (around 1:30) that Alyssa said would be the guestroom. So it seems to be a 3 bath 4 bedroom house overall.

True. then i guess they do have the space for the boy...

13 hours ago, dawn9476 said:

It sounds like they want to tear down the existing fence and put a different one up. And have a lock on it. 

Yes, she did say they will be puting up a fence assap so no snark on my part here. It is not like they are moving in now to the house, they said it needs new flooring too and other stuff. It must be nice having a pool in a place as hot as Florida.

• Upvote 5

I really hope their plan is to close off the 2 story foyer/living room/office and not keep the cubicle look they've current got. It would add a ton of square footage upstairs for additional bedrooms/bathroom. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Three garages? Is that right?

Yes, it's a 3 car garage. They're pretty common in Florida, since basements are pretty much unheard of. A lot of people have 3 car garages to make up that space for storage, water heaters, etc. Or they have a tandem garage, where it's only two cars wide, but one or both sides goes doubly as deep. 

It also looks like they bought the new house from their current landlord, according to county property records. Maybe they had some sort of rent-to-own deal where a portion of their rent payments on the old house went towards a down payment on the new house. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 9

7 hours ago, OHFL2009 said:

Yes, it's a 3 car garage. They're pretty common in Florida, since basements are pretty much unheard of. A lot of people have 3 car garages to make up that space for storage, water heaters, etc. Or they have a tandem garage, where it's only two cars wide, but one or both sides goes doubly as deep. 

It also looks like they bought the new house from their current landlord, according to county property records. Maybe they had some sort of rent-to-own deal where a portion of their rent payments on the old house went towards a down payment on the new house. 

I thought it was mentioned John's family [dad?] owned their current home?

• Upvote 1

Just saw that Michael posted that she had received stuff from that Tiki chick. Someone asked where she got her kitchen utensils and she said her friend Tiki (whatever the spelling is). I am betting that all the Bates have received gifts from her. She is a mega stalker groupie 

• Upvote 9

3 hours ago, MaryOrMartha said:

I thought it was mentioned John's family [dad?] owned their current home?

It was speculation. Someone found the registers and the house is not owned by any Webster. While the owner could be a relative with another surname, John and Alyssa have never said so.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

It was speculation. Someone found the registers and the house is not owned by any Webster. While the owner could be a relative with another surname, John and Alyssa have never said so.

A quick Google search leads me to believe the owner of both houses may be the father-in-law of one of John's brothers, but I'm not 100% sure. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

They said in one of their previous videos that they had the option of buying that house so no they didn't own and opted to get another house. 

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1

I have a feeling Alyssa will make most of the house different shades of gray and it will bore me to death. Well except for the two girl rooms. They will probably be pink and purple. But the rest of the house will probably be gray. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 7

And... the SOTDRT strikes again, or, to be more precise, the school of the "dinning" room table... (from Alyssa's insta story)

63D54527-FB55-4404-9DA8-47BCBE77432F.png

Edited by Nothing if not critical
  • Upvote 4
  • Sad 7
  • Eyeroll 3
  • WTF 2
  • Haha 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic