IGNORED

Maxwell 43: Divesting from the First Church of Stevehovah Reversalist

Coconut Flan

Hmm. 
The link originally contained links to their “grocery store list” in three different formats (Word, Pages and something else). Now it’s only got the Costco and SAMS list. 

5 hours ago, fundiefan said:

The point being - your personal shopping list or process is pretty useless to someone else. We don't all live the same lives, have the same preferences, have the same comforts, etc. 

I have tried Terri style lists (worked much better when it was more than me), lists on the phone, and now I'm back to paper and pen.  The list stays in my handbag now so I won't forget it.  I add pantry items when I take the last one out of the pantry.  I add frozen food when I open the last bag/package and similar with fresh food except produce isn't written down, it's a given, unless it's a special item.  Items for my mom are either on subscribe and save or go on the list when I take the one on the shelf to the facility.

I do have one unusual custom I developed due to having out of town medical treatment every four weeks.  It would probably drive Steve batty.  Rather than having to pack every four weeks and going down a master list, I simply bought duplicates of everything and keep the suitcase packed.  I wash the clothes in it when I get home, roll them, and repack them.  When I empty something, the empty goes in a special pocket and I replace it when I get home.  It's so much easier to have the suitcase always ready to go.

• Upvote 24

3 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

Depending on my mood, I either photograph the shopping list board or copy the items onto a sheet of a pad of paper that’s also magnetically attached.  But then, I shop only for me. 

I do exactly the same!

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

I am an out of control maverick when it comes to groceries! 

Go to shop, get trolley, fill trolley with stuff, purchase then come home and put away!!!

The insanity!!! My children all survived this to move on to lives of their own!! 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 14
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

I have tried Terri style lists (worked much better when it was more than me), lists on the phone, and now I'm back to paper and pen. 

I'm relieved to read this. I was starting to think I was the only one left who still makes a list on paper! ?

45 minutes ago, donnal said:

I like to just go to the store and buy whatever looks good in the moment. It’s...it’s not a great system. ? *sigh*

My system is a combo of making a list of things I know we need, using the Kroger ad to match my paper and digital coupons, and buying whatever looks good in the moment. I never seem to have paper and pen near the fridge, though, so I often forget vital things like ketchup or hamburger buns. So it's a hit or miss system! :my_blush:

• Upvote 7

When I was a kid we always shopped with a grocery list and we shopped at different stores. For basic groceries it was always IGA (our local grocery store), drinks were bought in bulk cases at a place called Shooky's (another local place), and we bought meat (except for the deer meat from our fall hunting expeditions) at another local place called Schiff's. It was a serious production when we went shopping, but it was usually only 1-2 times a month. We also would save gallon milk jugs and clean them out really well so we could get water at a local spring. Where I'm from you didn't drink the tap water unless you had a death wish...

I'm a rogue now when it comes to shopping since I live alone. I typically just buy what looks good, except for a few staples that I get every week, and it's always at Wally World. My cat's on a diabetic diet so her food is bought online at Chewy now and I get her supplies there as well. I've recently begun using the online grocery pick-up from Walmart and it's a little weird still, but far easier than dealing with the mass of crazy Wally World shoppers! LOL

• Upvote 5

@Black Aliss, well Steve and Teri have gone vegan so no seafood for them, but the girls might like some. A vegan diet really ought to be really rich in vegetables and fruit.  And if S&T are eating butter, that's not vegan. Salted butter is better for the table, but many recipes call for unsalted butter for cooking.  The diapers might not be for one of the myriad babies and toddlers, but they could be for Steve and Teri.  

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 1

31 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

Steve and Teri have gone vegan so no seafood for them, but the girls might like some. A vegan diet really ought to be really rich in vegetables and fruit.  And if S&T are eating butter, that's not vegan.

I was under the impression that they were cholesterol-reducing vegan, not animal-rights vegans. I think they don't eat fish because they didn't grow up eating it. I bet OfChris would like a nice filet of sockeye salmon from time to time, though.

Greens and grains is a good  diet plan, but I didn't see a lot of whole grains in that list. No quinoa, brown rice, barley, buckwheat, farro. . .I am having a sad about the lack of variety in their diet.I guess Steve would say I'm making an idol of food.

One more thing: Why is sudagest (pseudoephedrine) on their master list rather than a once in a while item, maybe during hay fever season? Are they running a meth lab in their kitchen?

Edited by Black Aliss
  • Upvote 8
  • Haha 2

Groceries have gotten so expensive my list just has things like “protein” and “veg” on it because I end up buying whatever’s less expensive.

I’m another one who prefers paper and pen. 

• Upvote 8

2 hours ago, donnal said:

I like to just go to the store and buy whatever looks good in the moment. It’s...it’s not a great system. ? *sigh*

I beg to differ. It's been my style for decades. I only do planned shopping now to minimize the time I spend in stores.

• Upvote 6

Have used Any List for a couple of years, but find it cumbersome to use (having to have the phone in hand) during Covid. Probably should go back to the pen and paper. Truthfully, my son, who has been bunking at our house d/t his rental home being sold during this pandemic, has been doing the shopping. Sadly, he is moving out next week. Maybe I’ll go 100% to Instacart delivery service. Of course, we are more freewheeling than your typical Maxwell. 

• Upvote 6

A lot of times I  flexible on what foods I buy, but I have to write down things like trash bags, because I will forget in the ten minutes it takes me to drive to Costco and park. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

Ummm.....I’m gonna confess that I just go totally rogue when food shopping. When I realise I’m running out of food (normally when im about to make dinner and realise I have some strange combinations left) I get a piece of paper, scribble down a list so I don’t forget, check the freezer / cupboards and off I go. And I don’t even always stick to it - say I’ve put down “ham” but then bacon or chicken is on a special offer, I might switch! Coupons from previous trip are left in my wallet so I pull those out when I arrive! Something like laundry detergent, toilet paper etc will be chosen based on price and deals. I’ll work out meals in my head as I go (I eat roughly the same section of meals a lot of the time). Snacks I’ll choose as I go.

I would quite easily give the Maxwells a heart attack.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 5

I must admit, one thing the Covid lockdown has been good for is tightening up my shopping habits. I used to decide on the way home from work and shop for what I needed. So much wasted time. Now, because I've tried to minimise my contact with the world, I'll plan a menu for a week, put it on the fridge for reference, write a shopping a list based on it (hand written), check for other stuff I need and then do a single shop. I needed to make more shopping bags because I was buying more at one time, but it's been brilliant. I really hate food shopping.

Edited by Katzchen24
  • Upvote 13
  • Love 1

Shopping lists, that’s a cozy, kinda autum-y thread drift. I love reading how you guys plan for grocery runs. 
What I do is quite similar to a lot of you in that I prefer writing lists with paper and pen. It’s just more practical for me and while I use my mobile for a lot, I dislike making lists on it. Handwritten notes just feel more personal. 
Sometimes I take notes of everything I need before going to the store, but more often than not, I only note down things I might forget, such as salt or dishwashing liquid. Cause I don’t buy that often, it’s easier to forget than veggies or or hubby’s meat. 

• Upvote 11

9 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

I was under the impression that they were cholesterol-reducing vegan, not animal-rights vegans. I think they don't eat fish because they didn't grow up eating it. I bet OfChris would like a nice filet of sockeye salmon from time to time, though.

Greens and grains is a good  diet plan, but I didn't see a lot of whole grains in that list. No quinoa, brown rice, barley, buckwheat, farro. . .I am having a sad about the lack of variety in their diet.I guess Steve would say I'm making an idol of food.

One more thing: Why is sudagest (pseudoephedrine) on their master list rather than a once in a while item, maybe during hay fever season? Are they running a meth lab in their kitchen?

Well now I’m picturing Steve as Walter White and I’m loving it.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 12

I prefer pen and paper for the things that I can’t do without and the other necessities I always seem to forget and then just kind of go rogue in the store down each aisle. If I feel like seafood one night I’ll just write down what I might want with it along with other meals. My “system” would give Teri a stroke. 

• Upvote 9

28 minutes ago, Coconutwater said:

My “system” would give Teri a stroke. 

That speaks for your system, then. (Not that I wish illness on her or anyone else, but Terri’s way of doing things is so lifeless and Terri-ble that it just doesn’t seem appealing at all.) 

• Upvote 5

If she's shopping for multiple households I do understand excel sheeting it out. 

Why share it though, does she think everyone shops for their eleventy grown up and married off sons? 

• Upvote 7

The weirdest thing to me is how they have ‘trained’ their *adult* daughters to, when they run out of something, go to Mommy and ask her to put it on the list, instead of just doing it themselves. Wtf? It’s really easy to share a spreadsheet.

I think, however, that even if the Maxwells would never admit it for the world, their odd way of shopping is actually how they accommodate Terri’s disability of depression. Terri needs to have a plan, she needs to know exactly what she is doing and how it will play out. If she pulled up the list and found unexpected items on it, she would probably have big feelings of anxiety that she doesn’t know how to deal with. Going down an unexpected aisle is a trial. Oh, Terri. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being depressed. There is something awfully wrong about not taking advantage of the wonderful modern medicine and therapies we have to deal with it.

and as usual, there is something very, very wrong with Steve. But we have known that forever.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Well now I’m picturing Steve as Walter White and I’m loving it.

“And now we cook.”

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 6

Because Stevehovah et ux are going vegan for health reasons, I was about to suggest they get a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) membership, in which you pay a set amount for a pickup of local produce each week. But then I realized that it would throw a wrench into The Schedule: In most CSAs, you don’t get to pick and choose—you just get an assortment of whatever’s in season. Horrors: No control!

I’m loving my CSA: I just got a terrific assortment of healthy veggies, some of which I’ve never tried before (breakfast radishes [a mild variety], collard greens, delicata squash), as well as more familiar things like tomatoes, potatoes, onions, garlic, and salad greens. I use my online cooking community for recipe ideas. It’s f*n to try new things!

• Upvote 12
  • Love 1

I had a look at their Costco list. How much cheese? Is that normal? That amount of cheese would fill my fridge lol

Also, Kerrigold is with 2 Rs Steve, could you change that, thanks. 

Also why are they buying tortillas? Have they not enough posts about the "tortilla making crews" over the years? I am shocked they are buying them! Shocked!

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 6

• Coconut Flan locked this topic