IGNORED

Maxwell 43: Divesting from the First Church of Stevehovah Reversalist

Coconut Flan

Not really, you can see it on YouTube.(Plus it was on the DVD set that was released awhile ago.)

Edited by smittykins
  • Upvote 5

On 10/15/2020 at 12:02 PM, HereticHick said:

And this is totally BEC and maybe  has already been discussed, but I think you shouldn't carry your purse down the aisle with you: 

On 10/15/2020 at 12:31 PM, HereticHick said:

Yes!  If you need a shoulder bag, have some else carry it that isn't processing down the aisle. Or just put it in the pew where you will be sitting beforehand.

On 10/15/2020 at 12:31 PM, usmcmom said:

I bought a wonderful pink clutch for my daughter's wedding. It had a big rhinestone for a clip and I found it on Amazon. I slipped into the sanctuary before the guests arrived and set my purse on my pew. That way, it was handy if I needed my tissues but I didn’t carry it down the aisle. I did carry it when we left.  

I am SO glad you all mentioned this. My daughter is getting married next week, and I had no idea about this. 

And, because I'm such a procrastinator, I didn't go out and get my shoes or purse until today. I made sure to get a clutch in case for some reason I'm not able to slip it into the sanctuary ahead of time.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 4

On 10/15/2020 at 1:02 PM, HereticHick said:

think you shouldn't carry your purse down the aisle with you: 

Oh, how wrong you are! What if you get half way down the aisle and you want a snack? Where are  you going to stash your granola bar? In your bra? And what if you need to touch up your makeup? Where do you keep your beauty blender and water and other makeup parphenalia? In your pockets? Jokes on you then, most mother of the groom dresses don't have pockets. Sheesh! (although I must admit I generally carry a back pack)

?

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 15
  • Love 1

Can I ask, does Mom Maxwell wear the same dress to each wedding? And if so, is this standard practice, or seen as rather odd? I know odd and Maxwell do seem to go hand in hand. 

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Can I ask, does Mom Maxwell wear the same dress to each wedding? And if so, is this standard practice, or seen as rather odd? I know odd and Maxwell do seem to go hand in hand. 

Most people don’t have 8 children and therefore many weddings to attend as mother of the groom. My sister and I got married 9 years apart. My mom wouldn’t wear the same dress 9 years later. I’m a cheapskate so it’s possible I would wear the same dress to a few weddings. But not if they were many years apart. 

• Upvote 9

@jermajestyduggar- in a previous job my daughter used to attend formal events. She rented formal dresses most of the time.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Most people don’t have 8 children and therefore many weddings to attend as mother of the groom. My sister and I got married 9 years apart. My mom wouldn’t wear the same dress 9 years later. I’m a cheapskate so it’s possible I would wear the same dress to a few weddings. But not if they were many years apart. 

My grandma wore the same dress to multiple family weddings. All of us whose weddings she wore it to were fans of the idea. It saved her money, and because of her health, shopping for formalwear and getting alterations done were physically difficult, so it was good that she had a reliable formal in the closet ready to go.

But she wasn't the mother of the bride or groom. My mom was and she didn't re-wear anything to anybody's wedding.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 6

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

does Mom Maxwell wear the same dress to each wedding? And if so, is this standard practice, or seen as rather odd? I know odd and Maxwell do seem to go hand in hand. 

I would have because I hate shopping for mother of the whatever dresses plus I hate the waste of a dress I'll likely only wear once.  My kids didn't like the idea of one dress for all the weddings so they each had to go shopping with me to get a dress they liked for their weddings.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

I just remembered something from my close friend’s wedding back in 2005. My good friend (bride) pointed her very old great grandma out to me at the reception. She was wearing a fancy floral dress straight out of the 1970s. She told me she's worn the same dress to all the family weddings for decades. It was adorable. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 22

2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

She didn't wear that outfit to John's and Chelsy's wedding, which was in between Joe's and Jesse's. I don't think she wore it to Christopher's or Nathan's wedding. She wore that outfit to Joe's wedding and Jesse's wedding. It may be that she liked and wanted to wear it again, especially since it still fit. It also may be that she hadn't bought something in time for the Pandemic.

My mother has never been mother of the bride/groom, but she has gone to weddings. I'm not if she's reworn the same outfit. I think if it looks flattering, is comfortable and doesn't look out of place with the venue, you might as well wear the same outfit again. 

• Upvote 10

One of my daughters got married in October and her sister the following May and I wore the same dress to both weddings.  I did not know what Trey's mom's wearing at the first wedding, but it turned out that the gowns were the same color.  At the second wedding, I didn't  much care what I wore as I'd had a hysterectomy a few weeks before. I hate dress shopping and at least half the people at Shannon's wedding would not have seen my dress so it was a used dress for me.  

• Upvote 9

I actually really like Teri's top. Mother of the bride/groom outfits can be really hard to find. I think it is really classy looking on  her. My guess is she re-wore it because she has been the mother of the groom a lot lately and also shopping during the pandemic probably wasn't the easiest (or wisest) thing to do. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

The one thing I would change in all the outfits would be to have a pair of nice dress shoes each. They seem to like Amazon for shopping and a pair of inexpensive weddingy pumps each would have looked nicer than the 'serviceable' black leather pumps they all seem to be wearing under their long dresses. And that's something that could be worn again for other dressy occasions. 

But that's just me. Their wedding, their choice.  Maybe they were conscious it was the middle of a pandemic and wanted to look a bit sensible and understated,  Or maybe they were going to be on their feet all day and the sensible shoes worked better for that. Who knows.

• Upvote 5

Huge generalization here. Beyond Michelle’s current medical grade shoes, Fundies never seem to put much emphasis on footwear. It always seems like an afterthought. How many girls/women have we seen in flip flops, no matter the venue or activity being done? I guess when you shop at Goodwill for shoes from birth, old habits are hard to overcome. I will admit, I have never skimped on foot wear. Granted, many of these people don’t have to work all day on their feet...

• Upvote 10

6 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Huge generalization here. Beyond Michelle’s current medical grade shoes, Fundies never seem to put much emphasis on footwear. It always seems like an afterthought. How many girls/women have we seen in flip flops, no matter the venue or activity being done? I guess when you shop at Goodwill for shoes from birth, old habits are hard to overcome. I will admit, I have never skimped on foot wear. Granted, many of these people don’t have to work all day on their feet...

The Maxes seem to have leaned toward good quality shoes for a long time. In the earliest days I was following their blog (starting in 2010) they didn't wear sandals in any pictures on the blog - sometimes sneakers, but for the dog and pony show they always seemed to be wearing Clarks-style clogs. (Which is weird, because if we're going by outdated, ridiculously legalistic standards for foot modesty, toes are tempting but so is the open back of a clog - "gives a bedroom look." Not making this up.) It seems, though, that they buy shoes for an event and then use them indefinitely. The girls had matching flats for C&A's wedding and I feel like those showed up in pictures for a long time afterward.

• Upvote 6

Back when I was in high school and college, I wore flip flops all the damn time. But I was younger then. Nowadays I can’t wear flip flops long without my feet hurting. I wear supportive tennis shoes almost always. If I’m dressing up for an event, I wear nice shoes. But my feet always hurt by the end of the night. 

• Upvote 7

46 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

If I’m dressing up for an event, I wear nice shoes. But my feet always hurt by the end of the night. 

I'm the same way. I wore small heel shoes to my friend’s wedding last November. My feet were in so much pain by then end. 

• Upvote 6

1 minute ago, ElizaB said:

Based on some other posts they do seem to put a lot of money into their hiking boots too

And socks. Every year on What Some Might Call A Vacation they'd stop at some specialty hiking store to buy more socks.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I'm guessing: a) too many years of not having $; b) carrying too many children and feet cannot stand anything else.

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, Bethy said:

And socks. Every year on What Some Might Call A Vacation they'd stop at some specialty hiking store to buy more socks.

They go to REI, which isn't "some speciality hiking store." It's an outdoor store that's incredibly popular. 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Jana814 said:

I'm the same way. I wore small heel shoes to my friend’s wedding last November. My feet were in so much pain by then end. 

I have "discovered" wedge heels, such as these from Lifestride;

Spoiler

1936914463_wedgeheels.jpg.ca5a7f619956312b4d7f58e87cdf7747.jpg

They're fairly dressy looking and are very comfortable.  I'm about 5 feet, three inches tall and feel like i need some height in my shoes when I dress up.  I have then in black and navy.

I can't believe I used to wear 3 inch stiletto type  heels to work years ago.  Those days are long gone.

• Upvote 6

The father of the bride's suit is a tailoring abomination. 

Jesse's brown shoes with a grey suit bother me. 

Anna's smile during the recessional down the aisle is cute. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic