IGNORED

Maxwell 43: Divesting from the First Church of Stevehovah Reversalist

Coconut Flan

I know.  As someone who is under the gun for a writing project at the moment, I had to shake my head at the idea of meeting a self-imposed deadline for self-publishing.  

That said, I understand the need to set personal timelines and I am glad Sarah is happy with her results.

• Upvote 6

Sarah mentions in her post the book is in time for the holiday season, so I assume that was her reason for the deadline.

• Upvote 7

1 minute ago, kpmom said:

Sarah mentions in her post the book is in time for the holiday season, so I assume that was her reason for the deadline.

That's the reason for all of her "book" deadlines. Just in time to make money off naive kristchens looking for wholesome gifts for their spawn. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 3

22 hours ago, kpmom said:

Sad to think this piece of what some might child "children's literature" could be  the highlight of a child's Christmas.

Meanwhile, this quote PERFECTLY describes the Maxwell "girls"[tho it was not written about them]

"his daughters both spent their lives cloistered (more so as no grooms could be found for them), a sad reflection on the times"

(from the blogger  Literary Potpurri reviewing the book Galileo's Daughter)

• Upvote 10

From the comments it looks as though Sarah hopes a third one will be out next year. 
Did anyone ever snark-buy/review Finding Change?

• Upvote 3

53 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

Did anyone ever snark-buy/review Finding Change?

I would, but I’m not about to shell out $18 for it. I tend to go for Kindle freebies and savage them.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3

4 hours ago, Hane said:

I would, but I’m not about to shell out $18 for it. I tend to go for Kindle freebies and savage them.

Fair enough. I wouldn’t give my money to Stevehovah either. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

24 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

Last I checked, the only ones available on Amazon were via a third party seller, not Stevehovah. (I’m way too obsessed with this douchenozzle; all I have to do is type “Stev” and it autocompletes to “Stevehovah”!)

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 14

On 10/26/2020 at 1:15 PM, fundiefan said:

That's the reason for all of her "book" deadlines. Just in time to make money off naive kristchens looking for wholesome gifts for their spawn. 

The thing though is that many naive Christians seem to love the books she writes. Chelsy mentioned that she made it a point to meet the Maxwells because her younger siblings were fans of the Moody series and Sarah posts frequently about the readers of her books. I think they like them because the books are focused on a Christian family that reads the bible and does everything together. 

3 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

I believe Sarah makes money off the books on Amazon. After all, she has to have some sort of an income at this point. I mean, she is not getting married, so she won't have a husband to support her. She does bookkeeping for her brothers. Plus, she has a dog to feed and the family has made it sound like Sarah is responsible for Ellies needs. It wouldn't shock me if she footed part of the bill when Ellie had pyometra after the puppy fiasco and had to be spayed. So, I think Sarah makes money off the books she writes not Steve. 

• Upvote 3

As far as I know Sarah has never been a bookkeeper; that's Anna's job. 

Sarah makes money off being an author. 

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

As far as I know Sarah has never been a bookkeeper; that's Anna's job. 

Sarah makes money off being an author. 

In the bio section the family mentioned she did bookkeeping. They may have given the job to Anna recently.

• Upvote 6

I checked the bios and it says that Sarah does bookkeeping, and Anna does IT help desk support. It may be that Anna also has some bookkeeping knowledge. 

• Upvote 3

Sarah’s done a post linking to previous Mom’s and Dad’s Corners/Seriouslys about Halloween. They don’t usually post something on the main blog about it. 

• Upvote 5

Anna is the "help desk" for Natahan's Company, which used to be the family (Steve's) company - the umbrella from under which they all worked at one time from ITOnramp to self publishing to, well, everything. CCI. https://www.cciteam.com/. This is, of course, part time work from home, since she's a girl and can't go get a job outside the house, or family fold. 

Sarah does bookkeeping for "three small businesses"  - most likely CCI, Swiftotter & Titus2. All her brother's/father's companies. She also "manages" a help desk, which I always took to mean Titus2, but don't really know for sure. And, managing is not the same as actually taking calls, etc. 

Anna does...lettering? She a creative. She did some of Sarah's books & makes signs for the family for gifts. But she was "busy" this summer so she didn't do the artwork for this new book. Didn't she do shipping in the day in the life posts? Sending off their wares to the minions who give them money? 

Mary & Anna also do their "ministry" with kids in an apartment complex. Sarah writes awful children's books. All three still live with mommy & daddy & share a room and "the girls" still have bunk beds with their names above them. And all three, although Sarah less so, are sister-mom's to their sisters-in-laws.

Throw in the ceiling fan cleaning, cabinet polishing and constant cleaning of other people's houses and you see why they are all oh so busy they have to check their schedules to go have coffee. 

• Upvote 9

If you’re never allowed to read for pleasure or discover genres or authors that make you think or laugh or spark your imagination I can see why Sarah’s books would appeal to you. I don’t think you would see the depressing sameness of them like we do. Instead it must be comfort reading that mirrors and reinforces your life.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 9

2 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

Sarah’s done a post linking to previous Mom’s and Dad’s Corners/Seriouslys about Halloween. They don’t usually post something on the main blog about it. 

Are the links monetized? 

• Upvote 2

I think I will purchase one of Sarah's books for my niece. I'm just very curious about her style. When I was a kid, I enjoyed reading Dr Seuss, Goosebumps, and Babar the Elephant. Sarah might remember reading popular children's books before her Steve converted the whole family.

• Upvote 2

When Anna worked as a mentor for ITonRamp  (or whatever it was called) I believe we were told that she wouldn’t be able to “help” per se but would give encouragement and Godly wisdom. So no actual instruction. So yes I imagine she tells people to google, or if it’s a female, instructs them to get their father / husband to call and she will connect through to her brother. 
I honestly can’t see the help desk buzzing too much. She’s not exactly sitting at it much.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Tangy Bee said:

I think I will purchase one of Sarah's books for my niece. I'm just very curious about her style. When I was a kid, I enjoyed reading Dr Seuss, Goosebumps, and Babar the Elephant. Sarah might remember reading popular children's books before her Steve converted the whole family.

Sarah never went to a school. She was born when Teri was utterly depressed and I doubt she read books to her children.

By the time Sarah was able to read, the family was already isolated, sports banned etc. I don't think they had wordly books to read.

Isolation and weirdness became worse and worse, but the older children didn't have a normal childhood either. Nathan was out of school at age 5 (I think) and the kids were locked in a room for long hours, waiting for Steve to come back home after his work! An absolute nightmare. No wonder why he left his job... 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Tangy Bee said:

If you are curious, you can read excerpts from hers books on their site. Also a few years ago Sarah released the first Moody book free and some people got it an reviewed here, you should be able to find the thread.

I think your money is better spent elsewhere honestly

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 8

4 hours ago, Botkinetti said:

If you’re never allowed to read for pleasure or discover genres or authors that make you think or laugh or spark your imagination I can see why Sarah’s books would appeal to you. I don’t think you would see the depressing sameness of them like we do. Instead it must be comfort reading that mirrors and reinforces your life.

Sarah's books are written for a niche--not for the wide world. If you are growing up in a like-minded family in which the only other books are either ABeka or Rod/Staff textbooks and the Bible, you would likely enjoy them because they depict the world you know. The Castleberry's books (Courting stories, etc) are another for this niche. Sarah writes about like an upper-level elementary school 'author's workshop" student. Many of those actually write better though because of much wider exposure to the world and to literature and fun reading. The vocabulary is so stunted in Sarah's books. (I've read two). Even in a middle-grades book there is a broader vocabulary,

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

Sarah linked some interesting family articles about Halloween.

The first Halloween our little ones were of an age to trick-or-treat (back in the early 1980s) I had made them very cute costumes. Out we trooped on Halloween night to the “safe” close neighbors, determined to make memories as we went. It wasn’t long until I had one child in my arms and two more clinging to my leg begging to return home. The lure of free candy did not overpower the fear in their hearts as they looked at the other trick-or-treaters.

I don't remember my kids being scared of other costumes when they were younger, maybe because they recognized other kids wearing them.  They were more interested in the candy and the activity around them.  

The year was now 1983, and Halloween had once again rolled around. The doorbell rang. Excitedly, I asked Nathan (who was six years old at the time) if he would like to open the door and give the children outside each a piece of candy and a tract. After opening the door, he quickly handed the container back to me and ran to his Daddy. It didn’t take long to figure out why. The “characters” facing me were frightful looking at best.

There must have been some serious brainwashing going on in that house, to be scared of other kids in costumes.  I can see where young children might be intimidated, but this seems extreme for age six.

My kids always loved Halloween when they were that age.  I know that some churches host carnivals during Halloween to avoid the 'scary' aspects of the holiday, and allow the kids to dress up in non-scary costumes, such as cowboys, ballet dancers, etc.  That sounds like a nice alternative for people who don't observe Halloween.  

As for me, I'm always ready to do the time warp again... (Rocky Horror reference)

• Upvote 11
  • Love 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic