IGNORED

Maxwell 43: Divesting from the First Church of Stevehovah Reversalist

Coconut Flan

Teri can claim the kidaults schedule their own bedtime/wake up time all she wants, but we all know if any of the sisters chose to sleep in some morning they'd get the side eye, and probably a talking to, by their parents.

And, of course missing bible time is a non starter.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 12

1 minute ago, kpmom said:

Teri can claim the kidaults schedule their own bedtime/wake up time all she wants, but we all know if any of the sisters chose to sleep in some morning they'd get the side eye, and probably a talking to, by their parents.

And, of course missing bible time is a non starter.

They can never forget Bible time. I think I read on the blog once that one of the kids was really sick, like barely was able to get out of bed sick & they were forced to do Bible time with the rest of the family. 

• Upvote 3
  • Disgust 3
  • Sad 2
  • WTF 5

Choosing your own bedtime implies that Steve has not properly thought out the correct choice that everyone should follow. Disregarding Steve’s views means there must be a tiny shred of independence somewhere and since they can’t have that I’m not sure I quite believe them about their adult children choosing for themselves when they sleep.

• Upvote 8
  • Sad 3
  • I Agree 3

There's not much actual advice there, they should have included the schedules of the adult children.

If the aunts are working more hours for their brothers, I hope they are paid accordingly.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3

On 10/17/2020 at 10:01 PM, mango_fandango said:

I found a photo of Teri at Chris and Anna’s wedding and she was wearing something navy blue. 
I remember reading the description of Nathan’s wedding and one of the comments apparently was “the bride and groom dismissing the guests row by row was great!” and thinking what an utterly ridiculous comment it sounded. I doubt anyone actually said that... and if they did, they sounded like they were bored rigid and being allowed to leave was the best part. 

I thought the same! And that’s where I learned about that custom as an alternative to the receiving line. (It showed up briefly in “Serena’s Serenity,” the novel by Jill Rodrigues’s sister Lisa Moravek.)

Also, I am hoping to God it’s true that getting up at 5:30 AM for Mandatory Bible Time is a thing of the past. There were quite a few years in which I had to get up that early for work, and I was *never* at my best then. I cheer whenever someone gets to sleep till a reasonable hour. But then, Stevehovah is a control freak and most likely a morning person himself, so this regimen was set up as Something People With Good Characters and Work Ethics Do.

• Upvote 6

5 hours ago, fundiewatch said:

New blog post, on... scheduling with adult children. Don’t worry, y’all, those adult kids have a lot of work to do, and make their own schedule. They do have lunch, dinner, and bible time with the fam daily. 

They really don’t have much to talk about!

This is where I’d used a SMH reaction-emoji if there were one. :D

3 hours ago, NoseyNellie said:

Although they claim they have the freedom to schedule the majority of their days, I find it funny they are likely just setting the times for things they have been told they WILL do- extra bible time, exercise time..

“So far may you go, and no farther.”

*shudder!*

ETA: And what is this, “our adult children still at home?” Own it, Teri & Steve: They're your stunted, captive daughters! 

Edited by MamaJunebug
  • Upvote 11

30 minutes ago, MamaJunebug said:

This is where I’d used a SMH reaction-emoji if there were one. :D

“So far may you go, and no farther.”

*shudder!*

ETA: And what is this, “our adult children still at home?” Own it, Teri & Steve: They're your stunted, captive daughters! 

Well she did say that, “[She] wrote this post earlier this year, but Sarah is just now using it. So Jesse is included in the pictures since it was pertinent to when I wrote it.”

My first thought after reading that was: “wow Teri, really throwing some shade there at Sarah huh?”

And couldn’t they have just left the picture of Jesse out? Why even include it? Is Sarah not allowed to edit anyone else’s posts but her own? (Not that I think she does much editing to begin with). Couldn’t Teri or I don’t know, anybody else, in the family say, ‘hey! maybe we shouldn’t include that picture of Jesse’?

I’ve said it before but, the Maxwells are so bizarre.

• Upvote 19
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Hane said:

But then, Stevehovah is a control freak and most likely a morning person himself, so this regimen was set up as Something People With Good Characters and Work Ethics Do.

Yes, remember the Mom's Corner (probably more than one) about sleeping late and being a sluggard?  She made it sound like it was a moral failing if you didn't get up early.  Even though she admitted that it greatly affected her moods if she didn't get enough sleep.

That's why I am very doubtful about the sisters setting their own wake-up times.  My guess is they "choose" to get up at the exact time they got up as teenagers.  Otherwise they'd probably find that Mom's corner under their pillow when they woke up.

Edited by kpmom
  • Upvote 14
  • Haha 1

Well the latest post was a whole bunch of nothing, no info, no substance, no quality.

Its weird Jesse was included in the post, ever heard of editing?

Yeah I doubt the ?'s get to set their own wakeup time.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

If am bible study has ended I am happy for the crew. I think it was a long ago “day in the life of anna” post that mentioned them gathering early in the morning, pre-dawn, to chat with the sibs before the parents show up to bible. It seriously sounded like a treatment program. 

• Upvote 11
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 3

I'm guessing they get to choose to wake up any time between 5 and 5:30 am.

I have questions...

Before they joined a church, did they just tithe to Steve?    Are the SAH Maxwells responsible for their own tithing or are they still under the umbrella of the Maxwell Family tithing?

Do the girls have their own bank accounts?  

As former military Steve probably has access to Tricare or VA health care.  I know they are on scamtarian but I wonder if its just the kids since Steve/Terri could be covered by insurance.  

• Upvote 6

4 hours ago, anachronistic said:

I’m feeling sad about shoes just now because the podiatrist told me that I must wear my new orthotics (thank you tendinitis) with everything, and I can’t even go barefoot anymore because it’s bad for your feet, which really limits me. Good thing I’m not going anywhere that I need something other than sneakers, I guess.  Dr also said I could switch the custom insoles to moccasin or bootie style slippers at home but....I don’t like how those styles look! ( I know I’m being ridiculous.) Also i am having a hard time finding those styles with removable insoles, and think I need to go to an actual shoe store to find some. Ugh.

Let me recommend BarkingDogShoes.com, a blog devoted to reviews of comfort and orthopedic shoes. Pretty sure they have lists of shoes with removable insoles.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 8

5 hours ago, anachronistic said:

I’m feeling sad about shoes just now because the podiatrist told me that I must wear my new orthotics (thank you tendinitis) with everything, and I can’t even go barefoot anymore because it’s bad for your feet, which really limits me. Good thing I’m not going anywhere that I need something other than sneakers, I guess.  Dr also said I could switch the custom insoles to moccasin or bootie style slippers at home but....I don’t like how those styles look! ( I know I’m being ridiculous.) Also i am having a hard time finding those styles with removable insoles, and think I need to go to an actual shoe store to find some. Ugh.

Pretty much all walking/running/cross-training shoes have removable insoles. As for other styles, Naots (or should I say Naot$) and some styles of Keens also have removable insoles. The footbeds in the Naots are intended to be replaced as their cork insoles will wear out long before the actual shoes do. As for other brands, both onlineshoesdotcom and zapposdotcom are good at responding to inquiries, if the description of the shoe doesn't mention removable insoles. Good luck and I hope your tendinitis clears up!

• Upvote 5

Morning bible time I believe is “quiet” bible time - so everyone in the same room peacefully reading their own bible (for the hundredth time).

See I like how they say they can make their own schedules - however family time has to fit in, which is all 3 meals of the day and Bible time - possibly twice a day. So they haven’t really got options have they Steve and Teri? Only the freedom to wake up 5 minutes before schedules family time or a bit more, that’s not really a choice. Can morning Bible time be done in pyjamas?

I’m sure the fancy desks and computers are more for show. The “Day in the life” posts for Anna and Mary gave a time span of which each of them work about 90 minutes in the morning and maybe another 90 minutes in the afternoon (I’m not counting “Auntie” babysitting, just actual work - and I work in childcare and education just in case I’ve offended anyone - we know Anna and Mary are just doing chores and playtime with them, not anything to do with their cognitive development). The desks and work areas just make them feel like they are doing a hard days work - in fact I’m going to dig for it but Mary I believed spent her afternoon work time (90minutes) doing drawing for a small course she was apparently doing. So 90 minutes of office work a day. Yeah. Ok.

I do remember Sarah posting once - it was either on an exercise post or her essay about dressing modestly - she said they like to go out for their walks early in the morning to avoid seeing other people out for morning runs etc who are inappropriately dressed. 

Can you imagine one of them just saying - “I need some fresh air, I won’t have supper here tonight, I’m going to go for a walk and maybe grab something to eat while out”. Anna Mary and Sarah if you read this, you are allowed, as adult women, to do that and face no consequences!

Ok - yes - Anna’s post states and hour and thirty minutes of work in the morning - then over to one of the brothers homes to play / help them do something they can probably do themselves like folding laundry - then lunch, plenty of time for something like baking, back to work and finishes by 4. Also states she works part time.

Come on Maxwells, that’s not a busy day! You know most working people will do between 8 and 10 hours of actual work each day (not baking and playing with relatives or chores) Gee whizz why do I let this work me up so much?!

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 2

44 minutes ago, allyisyourpally5 said:

The “Day in the life” posts for Anna and Mary gave a time span of which each of them work about 90 minutes in the morning and maybe another 90 minutes in the afternoon (I’m not counting “Auntie” babysitting, just actual work - and I work in childcare and education just in case I’ve offended anyone - we know Anna and Mary are just doing chores and playtime with them, not anything to do with their cognitive development). 

If they are responsible for the children, then Anna and Mary are acting as nannies and childcare providers. They are not teachers, tutors, etc., but there is no reason childcare providers should be responsible for cognitive development. The main job of a nanny, daycare worker, etc. is to supervise children and make sure they don't come to any harm. My mother worked, so I am well-familar with child care providers. Other than telling us to do homework, the child-care providers weren't responsible for our "cognitive development", but they got paid a salary to take care of children and make sure they were safe. Also I went to school and it was the teachers' job to teach, and the childcare providers' job to babysit. 

I agreed with the rest of your post. 

• Upvote 7

Mary has some blurred info on that sheet she's "working on", what could it be?

All the sisters sleep in the same room, so if someone isn't up by 5 am the others will wake them up. I think there's enough space for each to have their own room on the house. Someone might have to share with the bedbugs.

• Upvote 6

I think they included Jesse, because they're sensitive to how it looks with only their daughters at home. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

Sarah’s what, 38? And maybe as a heathen atheist UU I lack the capacity to understand just how great a book the Bible is, but I really wonder, 38 years, isn’t that long enough to study *the exact same book*? I would be bored beyond all belief and would have subtly cut pages out so I could insert more interesting reading materials oh, decades ago. Like I know it’s long but my goodness. Study another book!

(Thanks for the shoe suggest btw will check them out!)

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1

How sad.  This is a family that has to specify that a 38 year old woman is allowed to choose her own bedtime.

What I would be interested to know is whether the "children" are expected to organize their day using 15-min blocks of time, or are they permitted to schedule as they see fit?  I tend to organize my day into larger chunks of time - so for the morning I will plan to do X, and the afternoon I will do Y.  By the end of the day my goal is to have X, Y, and Z done.  Are they allowed to use something other than a MOTH type template?  Or is the idea unthinkable?

• Upvote 9

"As far as chores, we look at the work schedules and figure out who can do what."

Corrected: "As far as chores, we look at the girls' work schedules and figure out who can do what.

It would be interesting to know if/how much the "gals" are paid to pretend to hold down jobs. My guess is minimum wage and it is recorded so they are paying into social security. I'm sure Steve isn't dumb enough to give up a pension--he probably has one from the Air Force. Otherwise, I'd say the companies do not make enough money to afford a "real" employee so the sisters do it for "pin money".

• Upvote 5

How long was Steve in the Air Force?  If he didn't put in at least 20, it's doubtful he has a pension or Tricare.

• Upvote 8

5 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

How long was Steve in the Air Force?  If he didn't put in at least 20, it's doubtful he has a pension or Tricare.

I think he was only in the Air Force for a few years no where near 20. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

If it was only a normal four year hitch, he'd walk away with very, very few benefits.  

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5

I just bopped over to Amazon to see whether Sarah had any ebook freebies available, and saw this:

33374155-971F-4F81-AA7A-1F7C0A606A8D.jpeg
I’ll see myself to the prayer closet.

Edited by Hane
  • Upvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 28
  • Love 2

58 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

If it was only a normal four year hitch, he'd walk away with very, very few benefits.  

That’s what I thought. Teri’s father had a career in the service. 

• Upvote 7

• Coconut Flan locked this topic