IGNORED

Bontragers/Bowers 6: Allison Is Married! Who Will Date Her Brothers Now?

nelliebelle1197

I keep seeing articles about the wedding in Millinocket, Maine  that seeded a major outbreak (see here, for example). And thinking that surely Allison's wedding will be another example of this. The reception was outside, sure - but that ceremony certainly lasted long enough that if an asymptomatic carrier was there, dozens of people were likely infected. 

So far, one elderly lady has died after the Millinocket wedding. She wasn't a guest but was likely infected by a wedding attendee. Her husband, who survived the Battle of the Bulge, is still hospitalized with covid.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 10

This makes me sad and furious at the same time. Fundies claim to be all pro life, but from the moment a human leaves the utero that belief system becomes irrelevant. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 4

I like Jemima. Jubilee is pretty too. Definitely better than Wallace and Winston (I’m betting on a Wilberforce if Josh and Cassidy have another boy).

I wonder if those two families are enmeshed enough that Carson and Carolina will give their boys W names and Josh and Cassidy will do J for girls?

Edited by lilith
  • Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

UGH I really dislike the name Jemima. Especially with Virtue after it. They must be doing a (unique) J theme for at least girls right?? 

Juniper Temperance for the next girl I guess. At first I was thinking the kind ones like Mercy and Charity but the Bontragers don't care about those - just the uptight rule-abiding virtues. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1

I know a very nice Jemima, so I don't mind the name! :) 

Nothing on the Bowers blog, but it has been really quiet on there since Cassidy and Carolina left. Same with Carolina's insta, she hasn't updated in over a year. Was that around the time they switched houses with Cassidy and Joshua? I wonder where they're living now.

Also quiet: Allison! I guess she's the type to fully immerse herself in things, and is now deep into this "new season of life" ...

• Upvote 8

3 hours ago, neurogirl said:

UGH I really dislike the name Jemima. Especially with Virtue after it. They must be doing a (unique) J theme for at least girls right?? 

Juniper Temperance for the next girl I guess. At first I was thinking the kind ones like Mercy and Charity but the Bontragers don't care about those - just the uptight rule-abiding virtues. 

*small voice* I think Juniper Temperance sounds lovely! 

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 1

47 minutes ago, Essie said:

*small voice* I think Juniper Temperance sounds lovely! 

I love Juniper! Makes me think of Juniper, the Happiest Fox :)

• Upvote 6

I always feel bad for the girls born into the Bontrager clan because of all the intense penis worship. But at least Jubilee and Jemima have eachother. I would probably have a hard time calling the little ones their full names. I would feel the need to give them nicknames of Bilee and Jemy.

• Upvote 14

3 hours ago, BirdgirlH said:

Makes me think of gin, a pleasure the J Bon girls will probably never experience. 

• Upvote 11
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1

To be honest when the post showed up in Feedly, my mind did not really grasp it. First I read Jeremiah blah blah blah and thought it had something to to with Allison's new headship, then I did absorb the Virtue, but my brain still wasn't processing and I was like WTF? I had to open the post to actually understand the post title. 

I don't like the name. I don't like the sound of it at all. It's a preference thing, as far as Jemima goes. But what I dislike the most is giving your child a name they apparently have to live up to. With Virtue as a middle name, that girl is crushed already. Her future determined. Not that it wouldn't be otherwise, but she will have a lifelong reminder of the expectations and predetermined rules of her life every single day. 

• Upvote 10
  • Sad 3
  • I Agree 1

From the pics on the Bons blog, it looks like she gave birth at home. Interesting that both Cassidy and Carolina had their first children at the hospital and then chose a homebirth for their second.

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, fundiefan said:

TBut what I dislike the most is giving your child a name they apparently have to live up to. With Virtue as a middle name, that girl is crushed already. Her future determined. Not that it wouldn't be otherwise, but she will have a lifelong reminder of the expectations and predetermined rules of her life every single day. 

It just reminds me again of the different ways in which the Bowers and Bontrager blogs have characterized Wallace and Jubilee. Even from the days the double cousins were born, they've described Jubilee almost always in terms of looks and feminine stereotypes like "sugar and spice." Every generic baby picture of Wallace is captioned something like "meeting of the minds!" or "planning a battle or a sermon?" 

Wallace and Winston will be taught to think and to aspire and to dream, and Jubilee and Jemima to comply and conform and keep sweet. It's awful. 

• Upvote 11
  • Sad 3
  • I Agree 1

10 hours ago, Giraffe said:

All I can think of with Jemima is the racist picture on the bottle of Aunt Jemima syrup. 

Frankly, I like the name Jemima, but as an American I think we all think of the racist mammy Aunt Jemima brand when we hear the name, but perhaps that will fade since the name and image is being phased out.*

Jemima was one of the daughters of Job, and means "Dove" in Hebrew.

* As I kid, I thought Aunt Jemima and Uncle Ben were married.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 3

1 hour ago, christiane87 said:

From the pics on the Bons blog, it looks like she gave birth at home. Interesting that both Cassidy and Carolina had their first children at the hospital and then chose a homebirth for their second.

I believe their first children were born in the same birthing center, not hospital. And now with covid putting restrictions on hospitals, they may have restrictions at birthing centers as well. I’m not surprised they both chose homebirth due to covid. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

I didn't realize Jemima was a Biblical name!

In that case...Joanna Temperance?? If they're limited to Biblical J first names they're going to get very limited very quickly.

• Upvote 3

I knew Jemima was a biblical name. I just can’t get over the association with aunt Jemima and I think that’s why it’s so unpopular in the US. Everyone immediately thinks of aunt Jemima.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4

9 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I knew Jemima was a biblical name. I just can’t get over the association with aunt Jemima and I think that’s why it’s so unpopular in the US. Everyone immediately thinks of aunt Jemima.

Agreed. I understand that it's considered a normal name in Britain but in the US it's completely synonymous with a racist caricature.

• Upvote 5

On 8/29/2020 at 6:29 PM, SisterCupcake said:

According to the New York Times, there’s an uptick in Covid-19 cases in Marion County, Iowa. I wonder how many will be linked to Alison’s wedding??

I thought the Bontragers live and worship in Washington County. They go to Marion Ave. Baptist Church in Washington Iowa

• Upvote 7

38 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think of Jemima Puddleduck. Lol. I guess that is the curse of being a Beatrix Potter fan. 

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, BirdgirlH said:

I ordered a Mushroom the Possum facemask from them, and not only was it very nice, it came with information about what the money is used for and information about possum wildlife rescue.  10/10, will be ordering to support them again!  

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

• samurai_sarah locked this topic