IGNORED

Bontragers/Bowers 6: Allison Is Married! Who Will Date Her Brothers Now?

nelliebelle1197

11 hours ago, ophelia said:

I'm German and persons that were named Adolf somehow creep me out. Especially if they were born after 1945.

I knew a girl name Aryan and it also creeped me out. She was even blond and blue eyed.  She was a student of mine (so born well after 1945). Not sure what that parent was thinking.

• Upvote 6

20 minutes ago, Bazinga said:

I knew a girl name Aryan and it also creeped me out. She was even blond and blue eyed.  She was a student of mine (so born well after 1945). Not sure what that parent was thinking.

I mean, it sounds pretty, but so does "syphilis" or "rubella."

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 7
  • I Agree 2

Speaking of names, why do you think bundles love so much having a theme when naming their kids? Easier to remember? Easier to recognize them in a crowd? Easier to get which child belongs to who during family reunions or so? Some family we follow have already more than 15 grandkids and it could be hard to remember which child belongs to who sometimes...

• Upvote 5

12 minutes ago, Italiangirl said:

Speaking of names, why do you think bundles love so much having a theme when naming their kids? Easier to remember? Easier to recognize them in a crowd? Easier to get which child belongs to who during family reunions or so? Some family we follow have already more than 15 grandkids and it could be hard to remember which child belongs to who sometimes...

When I was a kid I liked drafting plots for stories about big families with naming themes. There’s just something satisfying about it, though I didn’t inflict it on my own kids (probably because I only planned to have two - number three was a total surprise and number four came much later).

• Upvote 6

3 hours ago, EmiSue said:

I mean, it sounds pretty, but so does "syphilis" or "rubella."

I have a whole list in my mind of ‘medicines that would make pretty names’. My current favorite is Lyrica. I also think Cymbalta is nice. Also Baclofen, for a boy, and Ranitidine - you could call them Rani for short.

.....yes I do have chronic pain how did you know? Lol.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 10
  • Love 3

I also think of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang with the name Jemima, but of course always paired as in "Jeremy! Jemima! Jeremy! Jemima!" when the kids are kidnapped.

My pregnant butt would definitely be kidnapped by that child catcher if he promised me candy, I don't even care how creepy he looks at this point.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, anachronistic said:

I have a whole list in my mind of ‘medicines that would make pretty names’. My current favorite is Lyrica. I also think Cymbalta is nice. Also Baclofen, for a boy, and Ranitidine - you could call them Rani for short.

I have Arrhythmia on the "that would make a pretty name list" in my head.

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 5
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

I also think of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang with the name Jemima, but of course always paired as in "Jeremy! Jemima! Jeremy! Jemima!" when the kids are kidnapped.

My pregnant butt would definitely be kidnapped by that child catcher if he promised me candy, I don't even care how creepy he looks at this point.

That child catcher was my demon for many years. I was terrified of him. So much so that even as an adult, when I watched again for the first time in decades, I had anxiety when he first appeared. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

19 hours ago, anachronistic said:

Aww heck yeah, Baclofen's my jam!

• Upvote 3

Completely irrelevant, but I am watching Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

It's one of these days at work, and one of the bonus's (?) about working from home is I can do things like watch random 50+ year old movies. and no one knows as long as I keep the work moving.

Haven't gotten to the child catcher yet so I don't know if he still scares me. 

• Upvote 5

On 9/4/2020 at 2:15 PM, RachelDM said:

Aww heck yeah, Baclofen's my jam!

This reminds me of some friends who said that a number of teenage girls who were pregnant and kept their babies were naming them Kyleena (sp.), a birth control medication.  Made me laugh. Don't know how true it is.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 6

• Chelsy and John stayed with her grandmother Bontrager. (SMH still at all the unnecessary possible exposure to Covid)
  • The picture of Allison and Rebecca together under the veil is pretty sweet. You can tell finally that the edging on the blusher matched her sleeves.
  • Some random person on Etsy made the dress from three different patterns (I am always amazed at people who can sew)
  • Marlin and Becky started to pray for weddings back in 2016. Have wondered if Allison's failed relationship dated from when all the other kids' did.
  • Bryn looks especially nice in the wedding pictures; the color of that bridesmaid dress suits her, and whoever did her hair that day did a good job. 
  • Upvote 14

This is horrible in my opinion. Why are they fasting and praying if they believe everything in god’s time? Isn’t it god’s decision when and if they marry? Imagine the pressure that was put on all the children when they were openly fasting and praying. No wonder Allison felt like garbage these past few years. Marlin and Becky are horrible parents.

F434341D-36A9-4B83-8C42-361E08846975.jpeg

BTW I’m not a Christian therefore I don’t believe god answered their prayers. I believe Marlin and Becky pressured and pushed those kids so bad the three boys found girls as fast as they could and went for it. The daughters had to wait around for some guy to notice them and that’s why they weren’t married as quickly.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 31
  • I Agree 5

So by 2016 her parents started to pray for spouses meaning encouraging their children to marry

• Upvote 9

2 hours ago, deborahlynn1979 said:

Chelsy’s recap of Allison’s wedding is up. Notably, she had nothing to say about the actual ceremony.

They DID serve food! Yeah!

And the bouquets were beautifully done. Kudos to her friend!

• Upvote 10

4 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

This is horrible in my opinion. Why are they fasting and praying if they believe everything in god’s time? Isn’t it god’s decision when and if they marry? Imagine the pressure that was put on all the children when they were openly fasting and praying. No wonder Allison felt like garbage these past few years. Marlin and Becky are horrible parents.

BTW I’m not a Christian therefore I don’t believe god answered their prayers. I believe Marlin and Becky pressured and pushed those kids so bad the three boys found girls as fast as they could and went for it. The daughters had to wait around for some guy to notice them and that’s why they weren’t married as quickly.

I grew up in a conservative Christian family and there was no pressure for marriage. I’m 31, going back to school, living with my mom and younger brother, and I was dumped at the beginning of the year by my long term boy friend. Even when I lived with my ex there was no pressure for marriage. My mom wanted us married but knew pressure wouldn’t do anything. My younger brother is 27 and has never dated. There is no pressure for him to wife up. He just finished college last year and is figuring out his life. My older brother was 29  before he moved out. My mom knew he wasn’t at a place to be married. Still isnt. Marriage shouldn’t be forced. My mom was 29 when she married my dad. My mom cares more about us getting an associates degree from community college and setting up a decent life for ourselves then marrying young. Bible says to leave and cleave. How can you do that without a decent job?

whenever I see the name jubilee I think of x-man. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Lgirlrocks said:

I grew up in a conservative Christian family and there was no pressure for marriage. I’m 31, going back to school, living with my mom and younger brother, and I was dumped at the beginning of the year by my long term boy friend. Even when I lived with my ex there was no pressure for marriage. My mom wanted us married but knew pressure wouldn’t do anything. My younger brother is 27 and has never dated. There is no pressure for him to wife up. He just finished college last year and is figuring out his life. My older brother was 29  before he moved out. My mom knew he wasn’t at a place to be married. Still isnt. Marriage shouldn’t be forced. My mom was 29 when she married my dad. My mom cares more about us getting an associates degree from community college and setting up a decent life for ourselves then marrying young. Bible says to leave and cleave. How can you do that without a decent job?

whenever I see the name jubilee I think of x-man. 

My mom is also Christian and was a good Christian girl who married young. That ended in divorce so she didn’t want us to marry young or marry before we graduated college. I didn’t marry young but my sister did. My mom wasn’t thrilled but it’s not like she could stop her. Wanting your kids to marry young or pushing them before they are ready is such a foreign concept in my family these days.

• Upvote 8

7 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think it was more than just pressure though. I believe after 2016 the Bont parents actively worked to find spouses for their kids. They had so many marriages so quickly because they found the spouses, encouraged the relationships, and then arranged the marriage.  

• Upvote 17

The homeschool family camp starts tomorrow. The Wissmanns, Bontragers, and Bowerses will all be there. Maybe the Helferiches will join in too. I’m sure no one will social distance or wear a mask. 

• Upvote 9
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 2

4 hours ago, ElizaB said:

I think it was more than just pressure though. I believe after 2016 the Bont parents actively worked to find spouses for their kids. They had so many marriages so quickly because they found the spouses, encouraged the relationships, and then arranged the marriage.  

Yes and luckily they found the Bowers who seemed to be just as eager to marry off their two oldest daughters. Becky and Marlin are really really horrible.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1

Up close, it is a beautiful dress. Gorgeous flowers too. Looks like after the wedding ceremony speeches from hell, Alison did get her Pinteresty wedding. The picture with the Helferich side of the family is interesting - huge family! Surprising that they aren't really on the internet, particularly since they have been "ministering" in Mexico for years; I would have thought having an online platform with sample music, mission statement etc., a la Bontrager website, would be helpful in finding interested pastors/churches. Don't they normally spend half a year, even, in Mexico?

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

• samurai_sarah locked this topic