IGNORED

Bontragers/Bowers 6: Allison Is Married! Who Will Date Her Brothers Now?

nelliebelle1197

35 minutes ago, NancyDrewFan1989 said:

True, however, Chelsy took a small break from blogging after she got married to John. I do think Allison will return to blogging once she is more settled in her new home with updates on her wedding and life. 

Chelsy has frequently listed Jane Austen as a favorite author of hers and has mentioned that one of the TV versions of the show is one of the few things her parents would let her watch when she was living at home. Furthermore, Chelsy mentioned that she idolizes (the only word I can think of now) the characters from her books. So, Allison probably has read and watched Pride and Prejudice as well and might look to those characters as role models. 

It just seems odd that these fundies idolize Jane Austen. JA was actually rather subversive in many respects. 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 1

18 minutes ago, FiveAcres said:

It just seems odd that these fundies idolize Jane Austen. JA was actually rather subversive in many respects. 

They want white women to have just the right amount of freedom. Not too much though! The regency era is just the right amount for some while the 1950s is just the right amount for others. 

• Upvote 11

58 minutes ago, FiveAcres said:

Yeah, I don't get it either. Some of Chelsy's early blog posts features her praising Jane Austen and her works. I wonder what draws her to them? 

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, NancyDrewFan1989 said:

Yeah, I don't get it either. Some of Chelsy's early blog posts features her praising Jane Austen and her works. I wonder what draws her to them? 

I have a strong suspicion that they simply don't understand irony...

Hi everyone, by the way! Looooong time lurker, first post ?.

• Upvote 25
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 4

32 minutes ago, NancyDrewFan1989 said:

I think a lot of fundie parents allow Jane Austen because there is no overt sex, cussing, or magic. The parents don’t think too in depth about Jane Austen’s meaning in a lot of her work and neither do their daughters. They just know it’s a Romance where the main characters end up married in the end. That’s good enough for fundie parents to approve.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 4

9 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think a lot of fundie parents allow Jane Austen because there is no overt sex, cussing, or magic. The parents don’t think too in depth about Jane Austen’s meaning in a lot of her work and neither do their daughters. They just know it’s a Romance where the main characters end up married in the end. That’s good enough for fundie parents to approve.

Maybe that is why. After all, the characters in her books do have a happy ending. They probably don't see past any of the meaning. 

• Upvote 4

I'm just going to throw this out here but I don't think Allison will be truly happy being married to Jeremiah. Yes, I know we snark on her "dating" her brothers and singleness blog posts, but she really did seem to thrive being single. Out of all the fundie maidens, to me, she seemed like she would be much more happier getting a job and living independently doing what she wants away from the family. Up until marriage she was able to travel with her ministry all the way to Europe and have her own apartment at the inn. I really think she was miserable traveling and singing in the family band once Chelsy moved out and Mitchell and Bryn took over her position at the inn. TBH, I think Allison was in no mood to settle down so Marlin and Becky, once again, took matters into their own hands and started pressuring praying and fasting for her to find a husband. Do I think Allison would eventually get married? Yes, I do. But, I don't think she would have gotten married when she did if she wasn't a daughter of two parents who were desperate to have godly marriages for their kids. 

• Upvote 8

18 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

And most importantly, they end up married to a man in possession of a good fortune! No debt, always has a house already!

I think Allison truly will be busy for a time, I bet she's psyched to get ready decorating her house, probably lots of shopping trips with her "sisters-in-love" (I hate that phrase with a deep passion). I think there will be a very long blog post in the future when she's done/nearly done, with a lot of pics, including the shopping trips.

MAYBE a post around 3 months telling their courtship story, with a lot of "advice" for the poor unfortunate unmarrieds with all the wisdom of married life she's now an expert on.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

I'm very curious to see if Allison and Jeremiah end up spending part of the year on missioncation in Mexico. I believe Allison spent some time in Mexico apart from her family a few years ago?

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

I'm very curious to see if Allison and Jeremiah end up spending part of the year on missioncation in Mexico. I believe Allison spent some time in Mexico apart from her family a few years ago?

They probably will. Allison did make a few friends in Mexico. So, she and Jeremiah will probably head down that way at some point.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

Is it the place where Jeremiah basically hickjacked a woman and forced her to go to his church? Or was it where he hit a child? Oh so many lovely anecdotes to remember!

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 3
  • Rufus Bless 3
  • WTF 2

I think I could snark a whole lot more effectively if I knew anything about Alison's husband. As it is he might turn out to be a John Maxwell sort or a Steve Maxwell sort. I hope for her sake she has a "John" who treats her as John seems to treat Chelsy - otherwise cheese wrappers in her sandwich will be all she hats look forward to. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, browngrl said:

I think I could snark a whole lot more effectively if I knew anything about Alison's husband. As it is he might turn out to be a John Maxwell sort or a Steve Maxwell sort. I hope for her sake she has a "John" who treats her as John seems to treat Chelsy - otherwise cheese wrappers in her sandwich will be all she hats look forward to. 

He’s obviously not a Marlin! So that’s a huge plus in my book.

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

The parents don’t think too in depth about Jane Austen’s meaning in a lot of her work and neither do their daughters. They just know it’s a Romance where the main characters end up married in the end. That’s good enough for fundie parents to approve.

From that immortal first sentence of Pride and Prejudice, where Austen tells us exactly what she thinks of contemporary attitudes surrounding marriage and social status, 99% of them miss the point entirely and nod their heads in agreement.

They're too busy dreaming of the potential Mr. Bingleys who have arrived in town to sing that night at church with their 15-person family band and just so happen to have been the subject of endless fasting and prayers and hints dropped by tightly smiling parents. 

• Upvote 11

I don't know much about Jeremiah so there are several questions on my mind. Does he have a real job? With a stable income? Where exactly is his family located in MN?

I'm wondering wether Allison will start selling Young Living again since she probably has more time on her hands now.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Lots of people smooshed into one place seems super safe right now. 

Maybe the Bontragers et al. think the Lord will protect them from  Covid.  Really stupid to be congregating in a national hot spot.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

3 hours ago, PsyD2013 said:

Maybe the Bontragers et al. think the Lord will protect them from  Covid.  Really stupid to be congregating in a national hot spot.

They believe it's a hoax. As Marlin said at the wedding, it's a "plandemic". 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

Iowa's been having some of the highest transmission rates ON THE PLANET in recent weeks, so this sounds like a fantastic choice. What do you want to bet there was loud singing, maybe a buffet line? 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 3

5 hours ago, PsyD2013 said:

Honestly, I think the Bontragers are taking the this all a conspiracy route. Marlin called the pandemic a Plandemic while bashing in governors who took action at Allison's wedding. The family immediately started going back to their original routines of crowded churches with no masks and not following social distance guidelines. While I hope it doesn't happen, I have a gross and icky feeling that at least one of the Bontragers is going to contract COVID. LIKE I SAID I HOPE THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN. But, I really do have a sickening feeling that at least one of the Bontrager households is going to be in for a rude awakening soon with COVID. Like I said I hope that does not happen. I think I have that feeling because their ignorance rang through loud and clear before some restrictions started being lifted.

2 hours ago, fundiefan said:

They believe it's a hoax. As Marlin said at the wedding, it's a "plandemic". 

From the way it sounds the Bates family thought it was a hoax to some extent until Carlin and Evan contracted COVID. Then they seemed to start taking things more seriously. I really hope none of the Bontragers contract COVID. But, ignorance is bliss and Marlin and Becky could find themselves dealing with their household and/or one of their kids households with a total and complete quarantine especially if someone tests positive from Allison's wedding, at their church, and/or this Family Camp. I'm not sure what the rules are in Iowa right now for COVID restrictions, but they might themselves in hot water some how especially if several of Allison and Jeremiah's wedding guests get COVID and it traces back to them. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

I think this is how family camp works:

Its two weeks of camp. The Wissmanns, Bontragers, and Bowerses are there the whole time. But most other families just do the first or second week. Not both. So it seems likely to me that families will fellowship and spread germs the first week, then the second week of families will show up and they Bontragers/Bowers/Wissmanns can them spread germs to them as well. And of course no masks or social distancing.

This whole thing sounds like a perfect storm for spreading covid. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 8
  • Love 1

But the brilliant Marlin says it's a 'plandemic" so no worries!

5 hours ago, NancyDrewFan1989 said:

Honestly, I think the Bontragers are taking the this all a conspiracy route. Marlin called the pandemic a Plandemic while bashing in governors who took action at Allison's wedding. The family immediately started going back to their original routines of crowded churches with no masks and not following social distance guidelines. While I hope it doesn't happen, I have a gross and icky feeling that at least one of the Bontragers is going to contract COVID. LIKE I SAID I HOPE THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN. But, I really do have a sickening feeling that at least one of the Bontrager households is going to be in for a rude awakening soon with COVID. Like I said I hope that does not happen. I think I have that feeling because their ignorance rang through loud and clear before some restrictions started being lifted.

From the way it sounds the Bates family thought it was a hoax to some extent until Carlin and Evan contracted COVID. Then they seemed to start taking things more seriously. I really hope none of the Bontragers contract COVID. But, ignorance is bliss and Marlin and Becky could find themselves dealing with their household and/or one of their kids households with a total and complete quarantine especially if someone tests positive from Allison's wedding, at their church, and/or this Family Camp. I'm not sure what the rules are in Iowa right now for COVID restrictions, but they might themselves in hot water some how especially if several of Allison and Jeremiah's wedding guests get COVID and it traces back to them. 

In my state a church (IFB!!) had a wedding with more than 50 people (state limit is 50) and then a reception at a local venue.  They caused an outbreak that is still affection  the rest of the state. The spike caused our schools to go from status green to yellow.   Three people have died of Covid (related to people who attended) and they weren't even at the wedding.  I've heard that some are suing the church and when it happened the venue lost its license.  I'll bet that Iowa isn't so strict and wouldn't prosecute.  We have some friends there who say it's pretty loose. Maybe someone on FJ who lives there can tell us more.

• Upvote 8
  • Sad 2
  • Love 1

36 minutes ago, Caroline said:

But the brilliant Marlin says it's a 'plandemic" so no worries!

In my state a church (IFB!!) had a wedding with more than 50 people (state limit is 50) and then a reception at a local venue.  They caused an outbreak that is still affection  the rest of the state. The spike caused our schools to go from status green to yellow.   Three people have died of Covid (related to people who attended) and they weren't even at the wedding.  I've heard that some are suing the church and when it happened the venue lost its license.  I'll bet that Iowa isn't so strict and wouldn't prosecute.  We have some friends there who say it's pretty loose. Maybe someone on FJ who lives there can tell us more.

Honestly, this is what gets me about the Bontrager's response. Chelsy's father in-law Steve and sister in-law Anna Marie as well as Josh and Carson's father in-law Curtis all have pre-existing health issues where contracting COVID could complicate those. I know Steve Maxwell has heart problems and Anna Marie Maxwell has cancer. I am not sure what Curtis Bowers has but the family did have to move south due to them. I really hope that no one, especially the in-laws to the children, contract COVID due to there negligence. However, it seems like every day there is a news article about a bunch of people contracting the disease from gatherings like Allison's wedding.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

I know this is a horrible thing to say and God please forgive me but maybe one of the adult Bontragers or Bowers should get COVID and succumb to it.  Horrible yes but it may be the only way for them to get their heads out of their asses.  Curtis Bowers is such a shit for making that documentary calling COVID a hoax.  I wonder if anyone who watched that bullshit died from it.

Edited by SPHASH
ETA
  • Upvote 5

3 hours ago, SPHASH said:

Curtis Bowers is such a shit for making that documentary calling COVID a hoax.

And Curtis, of all the people, had serious enough respiratory issues that forced the Bowerses to move to a more favorable climate for him. And I remember they mentioned that Alabama (their new home state) has a big hospital that has specialized knowledge on Curtis' sickness. 

So Curtis, you have a condition that is probably a very bad match with Covid, and yet you still spread your bullshit all over the internet and the country! Idiot, that's what you are, as well as your dear friend Marlin.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

• samurai_sarah locked this topic