IGNORED

Bontragers/Bowers 6: Allison Is Married! Who Will Date Her Brothers Now?

nelliebelle1197

19 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

I ordered a Mushroom the Possum facemask from them, and not only was it very nice, it came with information about what the money is used for and information about possum wildlife rescue.  10/10, will be ordering to support them again!  

Opossums are ugly but they are important because they eat ticks. So anything that eats ticks is a friend of mine!

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

4 hours ago, HereticHick said:

I thought the Bontragers live and worship in Washington County. They go to Marion Ave. Baptist Church in Washington Iowa

You're right, that's my bad. Apparently the two places are 1.5 hours apart, so not related.

• Upvote 3

It’s pretty usual among the crunchier mums I know (including my own mother) to have their first babies in hospitals or birthing centres and then subsequent babies at home if all goes well. Nobody can really predict how their body will cope with birthing a baby - my first baby wouldn’t have made it if I had birthed at home far from hospital like my sister did and I never even considered home birth but when my sister was having her first even a lot of other home birth mothers worried because she was so far from medical help and didn’t truly know how her body would cope - a concern that wasn’t there so much (except from me) for her subsequent births after the success of her first attempt.

• Upvote 7

Marlin and Becky have a personal Instagram account that looks legit (Allison commented on it) but only has one post that’s from 2018.

They only follow nine people, one of whom is Susanna Helferich. (If Praise has an Instagram account I couldn’t find it.)

• Upvote 11

Yeah, Aunt Jemima syrup is not a thing in the UK, so no negative connotations here. Virtue, though, is ridiculous, especially considering that Jubilee’s middle name is Katherine. Using a name like Hope or Faith or even Charity would be one thing, but “Virtue”... IDK. Fundies are bizarre. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

12 hours ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

Agreed. I understand that it's considered a normal name in Britain but in the US it's completely synonymous with a racist caricature.

Exactly! If these people were British, it would be fine. But in the USA, people just don't name their kids (or even their pets) Jemima.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

16 hours ago, christiane87 said:

From the pics on the Bons blog, it looks like she gave birth at home. Interesting that both Cassidy and Carolina had their first children at the hospital and then chose a homebirth for their second.

I hope it was their choice to try a homebirth and they weren't pushed to do that because it is the more "godly" thing. You never know with fundies.
Before the whole Alan scandal the Mortons had a youtube video up in which Katie was interviewed by her dad and how it is the biblical way for women to suffer during childbirth and so on..

13 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I knew Jemima was a biblical name. I just can’t get over the association with aunt Jemima and I think that’s why it’s so unpopular in the US. Everyone immediately thinks of aunt Jemima.

Tricia Regar (Clean House with Kids) has a Jemima as well IIRC.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 2

13 hours ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

Agreed. I understand that it's considered a normal name in Britain but in the US it's completely synonymous with a racist caricature.

Well, I would be very surprised if Bowers-Bontragers couples weren't racist. I don't think they choose the name for that reason, of course. But I'm sure they don't care if it sounds racist.

• Upvote 11

13 hours ago, Queen Of Hearts said:

I think of Jemima Puddleduck. Lol. I guess that is the curse of being a Beatrix Potter fan. 

I think of the doll from Playschool, pictured here with friends Big Ted, Little Ted and Humpty.images.jpeg.jpg.3a656d33f6d6f524341979a4ed552d41.jpg

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 5

3 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Well, I would be very surprised if Bowers-Bontragers couples weren't racist. I don't think they choose the name for that reason, of course. But I'm sure they don't care if it sounds racist.

Both the Bontragers and the Bowers regularly use pretty transparent dog whistles in their performances and productions. They would definitely dismiss any concerns over the connotations of the name as liberal snowflakes looking to be offended.

I didn’t see the racial implications of the name until others pointed them out but I’m Australian (and thus think of the doll pictured above or a lovable puddleduck, not a pancake ambassador, when I hear the name Jemima)

Edited by lilith
  • Upvote 8

My cousin’s daughter is named Juniper after Isaiah 55:13.

Instead of the thornbush will grow the juniper, and instead of briers the myrtle will grow. This will be for the LORD’s renown, for an everlasting sign, that will endure forever.”

BUT they call her Juni and my cousin wrote a long Facebook post on International Women’s Day about the little feminist Juni was turning out to be (she was about 6 months at the time) and how much she loved that Juni was not afraid to express herself or make her needs known. So not exactly fundie material.

• Upvote 9

2 minutes ago, EmmaWoodhouse said:

My cousin’s daughter is named Juniper after Isaiah 55:13.

BUT they call her Juni and my cousin wrote a long Facebook post on International Women’s Day about the little feminist Juni was turning out to be (she was about 6 months at the time) and how much she loved that Juni was not afraid to express herself or make her needs known. So not exactly fundie material.

Sorry to be a skeptic, but how can a 6 month old be exhibiting feminist traits in the eyes of even the most doting mother? 

• Upvote 13
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1

Do we know if fundies ever go by their middle name instead of their first name? I can see them calling her Jemma most of the time or at least in public if they have any type of self-awareness.

• Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, fundieundies said:

Do we know if fundies ever go by their middle name instead of their first name? I can see them calling her Jemma most of the time or at least in public if they have any type of self-awareness.

In the Bontrager family itself, actually: Taylor goes by his middle name (he's actually called Lincoln Taylor)

• Upvote 6

6 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

I'm not debating if the B/B families are racist or not (they likely are) but I fail to see how a legitimate name that has been used for centuries can 'sound racist'. Strange by modern American standards? Yep. Old fashion? Sure!  But not racist. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

42 minutes ago, fundieundies said:

Lawson Bates is Wiliam Lawson I think. 

• Upvote 5

9 hours ago, StacyW said:

The name Jemima makes me think of Jemima Potts from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang so I have positive associations

I think of Jemima Puddleduck. (First gen American from British parents so that’s what we had!)

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

Lawson Bates is Wiliam Lawson I think. 

And Nathan Bates goes by his middle name. His first name is Kenneth.

• Upvote 3

I think Jemima is a cute name (especially nicknamed Jem or Jemi). The more people use it to name their kids the less it will be connected to syrup and pancake mix.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

1 hour ago, Florita said:

I think Jemima is a cute name (especially nicknamed Jem or Jemi). The more people use it to name their kids the less it will be connected to syrup and pancake mix.

But that’s usually the problem. No one wants to be the first because they will be the ones that have to deal with all the negative comments. There’s nothing wrong with the name Adolph. But very few will use it because of its negative association. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

On 9/1/2020 at 1:43 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I knew Jemima was a biblical name. I just can’t get over the association with aunt Jemima and I think that’s why it’s so unpopular in the US. Everyone immediately thinks of aunt Jemima.

My thoughts exactly. When I popped over to FJ after seeing the announcement I expected there to be comments about the name Jemima. I have a feeling there are more fundies out there who have the name Jemima based on the name being biblical. Right now I am waiting for the blog post from the Bontragers explaining the meaning behind the name. It wouldn't surprise me if Carson and Lina received a bit of backlash over the name Jemima. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

But that’s usually the problem. No one wants to be the first because they will be the ones that have to deal with all the negative comments. There’s nothing wrong with the name Adolph. But very few will use it because of its negative association. 

The problem with Adolph is that it is still used, by a very small group of people, for precisely the wrong reasons. So people make assumptions about the parents of a child named Adolph, assumptions that are likely correct, and it doesn’t have a chance to dissolve back into the name pool.

• Upvote 9

13 hours ago, Florita said:

But the Aunt Jemima products need to be off the market and the name needs a years-long (if not a decades-long) "time out" before that can happen. Even then, I can't imagine that name EVER being used by African-Americans.

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, lilith said:

The problem with Adolph is that it is still used, by a very small group of people, for precisely the wrong reasons. So people make assumptions about the parents of a child named Adolph, assumptions that are likely correct, and it doesn’t have a chance to dissolve back into the name pool.

I'm German and persons that were named Adolf somehow creep me out. Especially if they were born after 1945.

• Upvote 9
  • Love 2

• samurai_sarah locked this topic