IGNORED

Dillards 84: Craving Attention

samurai_sarah

2 hours ago, Glasgowghirl said:

Jeremy seems to see Jinger as a trophy wife, where as I think Derick would be open to Jill going to college if she chose to. 

I’m not sure Jinger is even intellectually curious though. She & Jeremy are all about image - style over substance. It suits their brand to say she loves ‘all things classical’ and now reads books. Jinger has expressed no interest whatsoever in pursuing anything vaguely educational- that’s Jeremy’s role. 

• Upvote 25
  • I Agree 2

Derick should be about finished with his second year of law school, with one more year to go. I think it will be really interesting to see what kind of job he looks for/gets. I think this will also be a factor in whether Jill possibly takes classes (like we hope for her) or not. If Derick, say, works at a county prosecutor's office, for example, I would think there would be work events (like a Christmas party) that Jill would likely attend too. I can see Derick encouraging Jill, if just to fit in better with the other wives of male attorneys. (Let's face it- while Derick would be working in a coed office in that scenario, we know that Jill wouldn't be comfortable mixing with the female attorney's husbands.) If Derick find a job with an organization like the Family Research Council, I would guess it's less important to have a wife with some education. (Figuring that the FRC would skew more heavily male for its employees).

Jeremy, on the other hand, is seeking a career that the wives of the pastors are less likely to be highly educated. I think about the seminary he's attending- it's not Duke or another seminary that I'd really respect a degree from. I was under the impressing that it is about the seminary version of Crown College, the school so many Bates offspring attend- yes, it is a degree on paper, but not really respected.

Edited by Audrey2
  • Upvote 12

Jill said that Derick had finished his 2nd year & had summer school & work lined up- it will be interesting to see if he reveals who he is working for. I think he is taking this probably more seriously than anything else he’s done as he probably realises it would be a hugely expensive mistake to decide he wanted to do something else. 
I hope they do evolve - I think there is a lingering sense of entitlement with both of them and I’m sure they are still in favour of legislation against abortion & same sex marriage, rather than just believing against it in their own principles. That said, they are light years ahead in critical thinking compared to any of the other Duggar adults. 

• Upvote 17

The Duggars’ Facebook account posted a nice birthday tribute to Jill - with a photo of her wearing jeans! Think how shocking that would have been a few years ago.

• Upvote 20

I have always worried about Jenni. Ever since (I think) the Nepal episode where she was so anxious to go over to someone’s house (for internet????) to talk to Jill in Nepal. She was just so miserable without her “mom”. Here and Jordyn (clinging to jessa in her wedding photos) bloody break my heart. 
I remember when Jill first got married, she seemed to have James and Jenni and Joy to I think over all the time. 
stupid Jim bob taking Jenni away from her mother in case she corrupts her abs she wants to wear pants. Makes me so sad and angry. 
Jenni, Jordyn and Brooklyn Paine can come live with me. Oh and those skinny jrod kids too. I don’t know much about them but they look like they need the hell out of dodge too. 
I must admit that baby photo of Jill she put up made Jill look like the always super happy baby, Mechelle claimed her to be. That pic looks like a babe with a kind spark in her eye. 
I do think Jill could have excelled in a normal upbringing. Even a strong Christian influenced one. She could have been a go getter over achiever at school and a humble helpful kind servant at church. 
I hope Jenni turns 18 and heads to jill’s take a gap year and goes to Uni. 

D7DCF87E-9D71-483E-8921-BCEF5ED56DBF.png

• Upvote 26
  • Love 1

For Jill’s birthday, they got a Sitter, her and Derrick got pedicures at a salon, they ordered sushi, and went light hiking to a lake. Derrick was clear that he got a pedicure to keep Jill company as they wouldn’t let him stay in the nail salon otherwise and “took one for the team.”

The first three would be unconscionable in my area of the US, not to mention in contravention of quarantine orders, and regardless it’s mind blowing they would take such risks in the current environment. I’ve had friends celebrate 40th birthdays with zoom calls. No one around here would get sushi, expose yourself to a salon, or hire a sitter that is not directly required to be an essential worker.

• Upvote 18
  • WTF 3
  • I Agree 1

Yeah, not sure why they couldn't leave the kids with Cathy. They've been with her several times since the beginning of quarantine.

• Upvote 6

If they were responsible, they would have asked a family member to watch the boys, done some light hiking, and gotten takeout sushi to eat at home or in a park. Ugh, these people.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

I don't really see why getting sushi and hiking are so bad?

It looks like they ordered the sushi and ate on a picknick table without people around and hiking is the best thing to do know because it is a way to get out without being in groups of people.

The pedicure I agree on, unnecessary. But take-away and hiking are two of the things that are encouraged here as fun things to do while keeping distant (and supporting local businesses).

• Upvote 22
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, CarrotCake said:

I don't really see why getting sushi and hiking are so bad?

It looks like they ordered the sushi and ate on a picknick table without people around and hiking is the best thing to do know because it is a way to get out without being in groups of people.

The pedicure I agree on, unnecessary. But take-away and hiking are two of the things that are encouraged here as fun things to do while keeping distant (and supporting local businesses).

I agree, pedicure unnecessary in times like this but sushi and a hike while keeping distance is not that bad. 

• Upvote 5

I agree with all you guys who said the pedicure is unnecessary during a pandemic. It 100% is! But that’s not the only thing that bothers me in regards to it.

Toes aren’t a masculine or feminine body part, we all have them. So Derick didn’t have to “take one for the the team” and agree to get his feet taken care of. It’s sexist to pretend that’s actually a girly thing to do. If you wanna get a pedicure, own up to it, Derick! If Jill and he really have as active and fun a sex life as they publicly state, I hope he doesn’t find hygiene and personal grooming to be negative. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4

I have mixed feelings on how Jill spent her birthday. The hiking and sushi seem fine, we have been getting take out regularly though the quarantine to support local business. I agree that a pedicure is probably not the best idea and certainly isn't essential but if they are open for business and following social distancing regulations I guess I can't be to angry. I'm in NY and we are in a phased reopening. Phase 1 started yesterday and those businesses dove right into reopening. Phase 2 starts June 1st and that includes hair salons and nail salons. I know local salons are very active on social media right now booking appointments and informing people about how they are going about reopening on June 1st. I know those salons will be in full swing as soon as possible because all people seem to be able to talk about is how badly they need a haircut or need their nails fixed. I do worry that reopening is going to cause a surge in cases but hopefully businesses do so safely as possible. 

Derek needed to point out that he took one for the team is what pissed me off the most. It's a damn pedicure, relax Derek, nobody thinks your "less of a man" because you had your toes done. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

I'm wondering if Jenni wasn't there with MEchelle to babysit the boys?  That would make the most sense, Jenni is old enough to babysit on her own, she's almost 13 (I had to google that) Michelle is there because, cult BS & JB & M aren't letting any of the youngest over to the Dillard's without one of them present. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Johannah said:

Jill’s siblings aren’t allowed at her house unaccompanied by a parent???

I'm guessing, since Jill mentioned she had to have permission to be in the Duggar big house from JB. Remember when everyone was at Carlin Bates' wedding and Jessa's water broke &  only Jill was home.  Jessa wanted to climb the stairs at the big house, but Jill had to get JB's approval before going in the house without him or Michelle there.  This was just last year, not sure if anything has changed. 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 4

Wow. Is it assumed this rule is because she might have a negative influence on her siblings if she’s alone with them? Jenni might run out and get a nose ring? I thought maybe it was something specific to her presence in the house. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Johannah said:

Wow. Is it assumed this rule is because she might have a negative influence on her siblings if she’s alone with them? Jenni might run out and get a nose ring? I thought maybe it was something specific to her presence in the house. 

That's the assumption.  Since Boob can't control her anymore, he doesn't trust her to interact with her siblings without a parent present.  He doesn't want any more kids getting 'wild ideas' in their heads...

I think it's telling we've seen multiple recent photos of Meechelle and Jill together, but it's been many months since we've seen her in a pic with Boob...

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

One of the howlers (probably James, was hard to tell in the photo) spent time at the Dillard house on Christmas. Maybe they’re more concerned about the influence on the younger girls than the teen boys.

• Upvote 1

Derick in the nail salon - or at least that’s how he wants us to think he behaved so we don’t question his manly manliness. 

DF92AAFB-24EF-4B2C-BBDB-4CBE8E4FB445.png

• Haha 25
  • Love 1

I'm pretty bothered that she'd call it "the Rona" on her story.  That's the joking phrase my friends and I use amongst ourselves to defuse tension. It's in no way appropriate for her thousands of followers. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

I’m fine with hiking if they are taking necessary precautions (masks). Where I live, no one orders takeout that cannot be reheated (I.e., no salad, sushi, raw vegetables, etc.). It takes hours to wash down groceries whereas you can’t do the same with takeout. Salons aren’t open as they are not essential businesses. Plus, family members cannot babysit unless it is to allow the parent to perform essential services (I.e., I’m an essential worker so I could have a nanny or family member watch the kids). No one I know would even consider having a family member babysit just so I could have an off day or run amok for a birthday so it’s just so bizarre to me. What babysitter would expose themselves to people who have admitted to being gig economy workers (meal delivery)? I suspect that is regional, but we are being very careful since the volume of cases has not decreased.

• Upvote 4

The Duggar family gave Jill Taco Bell and a few sacks of gifts. I hope they brought her Taco Bell because she likes it and not because it was cheep. Sierra gave her some nice homemade treats.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4

2 hours ago, Skeptic55 said:

I’m fine with hiking if they are taking necessary precautions (masks). Where I live, no one orders takeout that cannot be reheated (I.e., no salad, sushi, raw vegetables, etc.). It takes hours to wash down groceries whereas you can’t do the same with takeout. Salons aren’t open as they are not essential businesses. Plus, family members cannot babysit unless it is to allow the parent to perform essential services

Every country is different:

In Barcelona you can hike on the hills or run with no mask (doctors advice it's dangerous to breath on masks when running or moving fast). 

Relatives cannot visit you at home except for looking after a child if parents are working in essencial services. And just 1 relative then!

But nail salons and hairdressers are open. I've seen them working with masks. It's not essencial for young people but it is for.elders, have been closed for 2 months but are open now.

• Upvote 4

I will admit I don't think hiking outdoors without a mask is a big deal assuming you are maintaining at least 6 feet of distance and preferably more which should be easy to do in rural Arkansas. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 6
  • Thank You 1

• samurai_sarah locked this topic