IGNORED

Dillards 84: Craving Attention

samurai_sarah

2 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Mick Jagger's great grandson is older than his youngest son.

JC...worse than the Duggars

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, SassyPants said:

JC...worse than the Duggars

But different modesty standards :)

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 20

Indoor plumbing, etc. t's so interesting to read your comments. My parents were born with indoor plumbing for tje kitchen (born in the late 40's and in the 50's), but not a bathroom, that in both cases was built in the 60's. Both born and raised in little towns near Barcelona. It was the ordinary those days: bathrooms were for the riches or for the people living in cities (not all of them, though). 

The funny thing is that they have always thought that everybody in USA lived like in the movies. That everybody had beautiful houses with plenty of commodities back in the 50's.

• Upvote 8

All this discussion of grandchildren being older than the younger children reminds me of this:

Widder is how some from the southern Appalachians  would say widow.

This might have been filmed at the Grand Ol' Opry, but there were a lot of  country music TV shows in the 50s and 60s.  Lonzo and Oscar were one of the legendary country comedy acts.  The video might be a little fuzzy, but the audio is not.  (Also, it's nice to see some good clogging after seeing that stupid GEICO ad so often recently.  The clogging is fairly lifeless and the cloggers look like they might be from Sweden and not from the South or a Celtic country.)

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

All this discussion of grandchildren being older than the younger children reminds me of this:

Widder is how some from the southern Appalachians  would say widow.

This might have been filmed at the Grand Ol' Opry, but there were a lot of  country music TV shows in the 50s and 60s.  Lonzo and Oscar were one of the legendary country comedy acts.  The video might be a little fuzzy, but the audio is not.  (Also, it's nice to see some good clogging after seeing that stupid GEICO ad so often recently.  The clogging is fairly lifeless and the cloggers look like they might be from Sweden and not from the South or a Celtic country.)

The one on the left looks like Jake Gyllenhaal.

• Upvote 3

@PennySycamore, thank you for the great memory! One of my college friends introduced me to that song, after I discovered he was the only person I met who knew a song my Mom used to sing- Seven Little Girls Sitting in the Backseat. (When my sister and brother and I were kids and my Mom was driving and talking and took her hands off the wheel, we'd tell her to put her hands on the wheel. This prompted her to sing the chorus: Keep your mind on your driving, keep your hands on the wheel, keep your snoopy eyes on the road ahead. We're having fun sitting in the back seat kissin' and a'huggin' with Fred.)

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 7

My dad has an aunt a year younger than him, my gran got pregnant with my aunt a few months after my dad was born, so her and her step mum were pregnant at the same time. 

Mick Jagger's great grandson is a few years older than his great uncle. His family tree is an interesting one. 

• Upvote 7

I went through school  with two guys with the same last name.  The younger one was the uncle of the older.  We were all in the same class in school. both year-wise and often in the same classroom.  

ETA:  @HerNameIsBuffy, Jake was on Stephen Colbert the other night talking about his sourdough.  I think the dough was rising and he didn't want Stephen to wake it up. 

Edited by PennySycamore
  • Upvote 2
  • Love 1

On 5/1/2020 at 11:26 AM, Melissa1977 said:

The funny thing is that they have always thought that everybody in USA lived like in the movies. That everybody had beautiful houses with plenty of commodities back in the 50's.

I grew up thinking that American couples always slept in twin beds, thanks to the Dick Van Dyke  show.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 18

On 5/2/2020 at 3:18 AM, HerNameIsBuffy said:

But different modesty standards :)

Both Patriarchs, still horn dogs, though lol and puke ? 

Edited by AussieKrissy
  • Upvote 6

2 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

I grew up thinking that American couples always slept in twin beds, thanks to the Dick Van Dyke  show.

I thought my parents were weird for sleeping in a double bed!  After all, Lucy and Ricky slept in twin beds although they were sometimes pushed together, Dick and Laura slept in twin beds and so on.  The first TV couple to sleep in the same bed was Samantha and Darrin Stevens on Bewitched.  Of course, Carol and Mike Brady slept in the same bed although I think that Robert Reed would have been more comfortable if they'd had twins.  Florence Henderson wrote about how uncomfortable Robert was kissing Carol.  

Robert, btw, played a transwoman in a memorable episode of Medical Center.  Everyone thought it was so daring for him to play that role.  Most of them had no idea, although I think that Florence knew Bob was gay.  

Lucille Ball thought it was ridiculous that a married couple could not share a bed according to the Production Code. That's why eventually the beds were shoved together.  It's the only way Lucy and Ricky could share a bed and not violate the Code.

• Upvote 10
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

I thought my parents were weird for sleeping in a double bed!  After all, Lucy and Ricky slept in twin beds although they were sometimes pushed together, Dick and Laura slept in twin beds and so on.  The first TV couple to sleep in the same bed was Samantha and Darrin Stevens on Bewitched.  Of course, Carol and Mike Brady slept in the same bed although I think that Robert Reed would have been more comfortable if they'd had twins.  Florence Henderson wrote about how uncomfortable Robert was kissing Carol.  

Robert, btw, played a transwoman in a memorable episode of Medical Center.  Everyone thought it was so daring for him to play that role.  Most of them had no idea, although I think that Florence knew Bob was gay.  

Lucille Ball thought it was ridiculous that a married couple could not share a bed according to the Production Code. That's why eventually the beds were shoved together.  It's the only way Lucy and Ricky could share a bed and not violate the Code.

There was some obscure sitcom no one remembers called Mary Kay and Johnny - but lost to the sands of time.

And are we discriminating against Fred and Wilma Flintstone for getting their conjugal freak on in a shared bed?  Or the Munsters?  

I'll pause for a minute while you all imagine graphic sex between Herman and Lilly.  It's okay...take as long as you need.  I'll wait.

(and no I didn't remember all this, I thought the Flintstones beat Sam and Darren (and with Darren #1 hottest TV couple IMO) so I looked it up.  https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/early-to-bed/)

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

@HerNameIsBuffy,  I fell down the rabbit hole of lost films and TV shows.  Apparently, there were a lot of kinescopes of Mary Kay and Johnny that were still in existence as late as 1975.  The Metromedia company that took over the DuMont network's library disposed of most of what was left into the East River.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 5

The Dillards are off delivering grub hub as a family trip again - unless it’s just a date night and Derick'smum has the children. 

Jill says he’s finished year 2 of law school and has summer classes and a job in a few weeks. It will be interesting to see where he works.

• Upvote 13

In one of Jill’s latest IG’s, she is talking about Bible study. There are some books and magazines on a table near her chair, and one of the books is titled, “And Then I Had Kids”...poor Jill. Too bad they hadn’t waited a bit to get to know and focus solely on one another before adding a family in to the mix. 

• Upvote 17

Or waited a bit longer and gotten to know each other BEFORE they got married. 

• Upvote 22
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Yes, that too! The Dillards seem like they would have done well with a more standard dating relation, albeit in the more conservative side

• Upvote 11

6 hours ago, SassyPants said:

In one of Jill’s latest IG’s, she is talking about Bible study. There are some books and magazines on a table near her chair, and one of the books is titled, “And Then I Had Kids”...poor Jill. Too bad they hadn’t waited a bit to get to know and focus solely on one another before adding a family in to the mix. 

It's a book aimed at encouraging Christian moms of young children. It also gives advice on various child raising issues including discipline.  It does advocate spanking unfortunately.

Edited by DarkAnts
  • Sad 6
  • Thank You 9
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

This makes me wonder how Derick and Jill will handle their sons and girls (like girlfriends, not daughters). Will the boys be expected to court, or will they date and not be "encouraged" into a fast marriage?

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

On 5/8/2020 at 8:19 PM, Audrey2 said:

This makes me wonder how Derick and Jill will handle their sons and girls (like girlfriends, not daughters). Will the boys be expected to court, or will they date and not be "encouraged" into a fast marriage?

I think they’re going to be encouraged to date chastely— refrain from physical intimacy (kissing probably okay, but nothing else) but still be allowed to go places by themselves. Hopefully Jill  and Derick are smart enough to learn from their courtship and will be open enough to tell their children something like “we were fortunate to find good partners through a flawed system, but we want better for you.” 

• Upvote 16
  • Love 1

I’m not sure they’ll go as far as to say the system was flawed. To some extent they all rewrite history a little- either that or it was all a lie in the first place. The TV show made a big deal about no unsupervised contact- now you have them saying ‘oh JB was asleep when we were talking’ etc, they supposedly didn’t have TV but now they say they did watch some programmes, when the Dillards were in Central America they were in a resort pool fully clothed as ‘modesty’ was so important- now it seems they’ve changed their minds on that.

it would be interesting if they did explain why they’ve changed their views but they don’t-they just act like they always thought this way.

• Upvote 9

On 5/8/2020 at 9:20 AM, SassyPants said:

And Then I Had Kids is actually a hilarious book. It’s older, written in the late 80s, but as a mom of young kids it nailed what my life was like even in the last few years. It’s got some timeless stories. 

• Thank You 6

On 5/8/2020 at 9:20 AM, SassyPants said:

Don't know that book (will have to look it up), but glad it wasn't To Train Up a Child or Creative Correction.

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, patsymae said:

Don't know that book (will have to look it up), but glad it wasn't To Train Up a Child or Creative Correction.

It’s a Christian book, written by a lesser known actress who left to raise her five Or six kids that were born in quick succession.  I haven’t read it in a while, but my mom had it when I was growing up and I found a copy after I had three kids in 4.5 years.  The author was candid about her struggles as a mom with young kids, but was often funny about it.  One of my favorite stories was that the author had a rough day with all the kids and stood at the door waiting for her husband to come home from work.  As soon as he did, she took the keys to their car and announced he was on for dinner and baths and bed—she was leaving and taking an evening for herself.  But this was presented as a good thing, and the husband was extremely supportive of his wife’s need for time away.

It’s honestly a decent book for Jill be reading. Nothing earth shattering in it, but I found it comforting to know I wasn’t really going crazy when I was home with three very young kids and a husband who worked long hours.

• Upvote 21
  • Thank You 4

I will be super curious to see how they handle the kids as they get older....with friends, dating, etc. Hopefully they'll still be considering public school when everything opens back up. I can see them definitely allowing more traditional dating, while obviously encouraging their kids to not take it too far. I think we'll see traditional dating, likely kissing before marriage, and hanging out with friends without chaperones. 

• Upvote 6

• samurai_sarah locked this topic