IGNORED

Dillards 84: Craving Attention

samurai_sarah

9 hours ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

I will admit I don't think hiking outdoors without a mask is a big deal assuming you are maintaining at least 6 feet of distance and preferably more which should be easy to do in rural Arkansas. 

The public health authorities where I am from (Québec), even mentionned that the mask is only really essential indoors or when the social distancing is not possible. For a walk outside, if you keep the 2 meter distance (6 ft), the risk are much more lower and the authorities don't recommend the mask. Even in an urban area, it was stated that crossing someone on a sidewalk for a few seconds without speaking to one another is quite low-risk.

That is what I try to do. I carry a mask in a ''clean Ziploc'' in a purse, and put it on before entering the grocery or drug store. When I'm done, I put my mask in what I labelled my ''dirty Ziploc'' and clean the mask once I get home (without touching my face of course).

• Upvote 14
  • Thank You 1

I had a dream last night that I was Jill and Jim Bob tried to convince me to get Derrick to come back to the fold. Oh, and he told me I had been "letting myself go" ever since my marriage.

I think I'm spending too much time on here before bed...

• Haha 13

You guys! 

Israel is wearing a shirt with a microscope on it that says "Stay Curious." I know it's just a t-shirt, just clothing, but I guarantee no other Grandduggar to date would be allowed to even touch a shirt with such a message, much less be wearing it on instagram. 

Maybe I'm overreacting (and overexcited as a scientist) but I was very. surprised.

774118077_ScreenShot2020-05-21at4_22_41PM.thumb.png.8d4d59f5cc7d06d26f4fc6b5eb70404d.png

Edited by neurogirl
  • Upvote 36
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 3

Some of those Duggars might not be able to make the connection between the microscope and the word “curious.” I’m not sure JB would get the message, and if he did, he sure as hell doesn’t support it.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

On 5/21/2020 at 5:46 AM, Skeptic55 said:

I’m fine with hiking if they are taking necessary precautions (masks).

Are there actually places where they advise to hike with a mask? I live in one of the most densely populated countries in the world and even here it’s not hard at all to keep 6ft distance on a hike in nature.

• Upvote 9

19 hours ago, neurogirl said:

You guys! 

Israel is wearing a shirt with a microscope on it that says "Stay Curious." I know it's just a t-shirt, just clothing, but I guarantee no other Grandduggar to date would be allowed to even touch a shirt with such a message, much less be wearing it on instagram. 

Maybe I'm overreacting (and overexcited as a scientist) but I was very. surprised.

774118077_ScreenShot2020-05-21at4_22_41PM.thumb.png.8d4d59f5cc7d06d26f4fc6b5eb70404d.png

Love the t shirt and love the picture of him smiling. He is growing up fast, I joined fj when he was a baby and it doesn't seem long ago. 

• Upvote 9

Are there actually places where they advise to hike with a mask? I live in one of the most densely populated countries in the world and even here it’s not hard at all to keep 6ft distance on a hike in nature.

Where I live, it’s all about social distancing. If the trail gets narrow enough that you cannot pass others with sufficient space (6+ feet) then the guidance is that a mask should be worn. Most trails here aren’t so wide that you can give people a really wide berth. I run outdoors several times a week and wear a mask always if it’s at a time when there will be people I have to run by on the sidewalk. I get that it’s different elsewhere.
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

11 hours ago, Skeptic55 said:

Where I live, it’s all about social distancing. If the trail gets narrow enough that you cannot pass others with sufficient space (6+ feet) then the guidance is that a mask should be worn. Most trails here aren’t so wide that you can give people a really wide berth. I run outdoors several times a week and wear a mask always if it’s at a time when there will be people I have to run by on the sidewalk. I get that it’s different elsewhere.

Running with a mask seems very unhealthy.

I do have to admit that at some parts of a trail you might be less than 6ft for a split second if you are passing but as long as you are not sneezing and couching that will not lead to any passing of virus.

Interesting that the advises are still so different across the world. Shows again that we don’t know enough yet.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 5

2 hours ago, CarrotCake said:

I do have to admit that at some parts of a trail you might be less than 6ft for a split second if you are passing but as long as you are not sneezing and couching that will not lead to any passing of virus.

My understanding is that the heavy breathing that a runner will be doing is enough to propel the virus into the air with some velocity and to a wider radius than you might expect. They don't need to be sneezing or coughing.

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

Yes, heavy breathing (from exertion), talking, and singing can all spread infection. Notably, there have been multiple “super spreader” events tied to singing at religious services.

i live in a very densely populated urban area. I don’t drive, but have access to a nice greenway. It’s impossible to keep distance. It’s very crowded in nice weather, and I’m always within 6 feet of another person. Fortunately, most people here wear masks. I do get annoyed with runners who don’t wear a mask and also choose to run on a very popular trail during very popular time. If you can’t or don’t want to wear a mask, then it’s on you to exercise at a time and place with few other people around.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

I don’t know if it’s allowed to post the actual picture, but Jill has a Nike photo modeling a new outfit on her Instagram stories. Totally normal for a woman her age but definitely not what she would have worn 5 year ago.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

5 hours ago, mpheels said:

Yes, heavy breathing (from exertion), talking, and singing can all spread infection. Notably, there have been multiple “super spreader” events tied to singing at religious services.

i live in a very densely populated urban area. I don’t drive, but have access to a nice greenway. It’s impossible to keep distance. It’s very crowded in nice weather, and I’m always within 6 feet of another person. Fortunately, most people here wear masks. I do get annoyed with runners who don’t wear a mask and also choose to run on a very popular trail during very popular time. If you can’t or don’t want to wear a mask, then it’s on you to exercise at a time and place with few other people around.

So I'm not an epidemiologist or a physician, but I am a research biologist and there are a few key things to point out.  It's true that there have been outbreaks of the virus linked to singing, but those events have all happened indoors.  The risk of transmission of the virus is waaaay higher in an enclosed space than an open space like a trail or a park.  Even if someone is coughing as they walk past you less than 2m away, the risk of you catching the virus that way is incredibly small to the point of being negligible.  When you're outside the aerosols (which we're still not certain can actually transmit the virus) are highly disturbed, meaning they're less likely to linger in the air.  They also mix with a greater number of other particles which reduces the amount of virus you might come in contact with.  To contract the virus, you need to come into contact with more than a single particle of the virus.  So the more repeated exposure you have to the virus, the more likely you are to have the virus overwhelm your body and take hold.  Here's a great article to read about minimizing risk: https://www.erinbromage.com/post/the-risks-know-them-avoid-them?campaign_id=9&emc=edit_nn_20200511&instance_id=18384&nl=the-morning&regi_id=95275081&segment_id=27239&te=1&user_id=1cce7baa9a97b1605e75a5e5d9b6d596 

• Upvote 11
  • Thank You 11

1 hour ago, Skeptic55 said:

I don’t know if it’s allowed to post the actual picture, but Jill has a Nike photo modeling a new outfit on her Instagram stories. Totally normal for a woman her age but definitely not what she would have worn 5 year ago.

You can post the photo as long as you actually talk about the photo and not just post it! I saw it too and was really surprised. It’s very shoulder showing compared to anything we’ve seen her wear. She really seems to be leaning into the boho hippie vibe with the box she was opening on her stories too. I love clothes like that but I’m too short to pull them off. I put the pic in a spoiler below. 

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.2099e08114c803d09da0073f4af82088.png

• Upvote 23

Looking at that latest IG photo, the phrase “you do you” comes to my mind. In the Duggar household the only time that a female gets to express herself as an individual is once she is married (& if the headship allows such). I hope JIll is processing all the shitty things that were done, said and ingrained in her,P while in Duggarville,  and has decided that it was all a crock, and is moving on to bigger and better things both for herself and for her family. Go Jill!

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 4

You go, Jill! It seems like she's really embracing this style as @JanasTattooParlor said and there are a few compliments in the comments on her post. She seems much happier lately, I hope she continues to work through things.

Screenshot of her short romper and the car air freshener because again; you go, Jill! 

Spoiler

Screenshot_20200523_185834.thumb.jpg.93fb14b82078d36a4f34b354b737ff4a.jpgScreenshot_20200523_185853.thumb.jpg.15e6fe69c2e3acb389832e3e4d4fe074.jpg

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 5

I don’t think either of the outfits Jill is modeling are especially flattering and I would have never chosen them for myself when I was Jill’s age. However, my opinion doesn’t matter at all. I think it’s great and very freeing for Jill to wear what she wants and to feel comfortable doing so.

• Upvote 14
  • Downvote 1
  • I Agree 4

I am not at all surprised by Jill's boho phase. She's always struck me as naturally crunchy and earth mother vibeish even before. It just wasn't an approved style until now. She seems very happy and I never thought she'd be the one to really spend time finding herself but power to her. 

• Upvote 22
  • I Agree 11

I think both outfits are horrendously ugly but good on her for finding her own style. 

• Upvote 16
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 1

She certainly has changed in 5 years. 5 years ago she definitely gave off a fundie vibe but if I didn’t know her and passed her in a store I would think she is like me and others I know very Mother Earth, natural products vibe. Something has changed in her mind and that’s great especially if she getting proper help for the situation she was raised in and even finds out who she is on a personal level without hubby’s opinion. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 10

3 hours ago, lexiloumarie said:

I am not at all surprised by Jill's boho phase. She's always struck me as naturally crunchy and earth mother vibeish even before. It just wasn't an approved style until now. She seems very happy and I never thought she'd be the one to really spend time finding herself but power to her. 

For all Derick’s faults, I think this is one area he’s been really good in.  He seemed all along to encourage Jill to find herself and who she was, instead of one of the collective Duggar kids.  That plus therapy seems to have helped Jill a lot, and she does look genuinely happy.

• Upvote 25
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

It’s interesting that although it’s flagged as #ad, Jill says she reached out to them as she liked their products. For all Jinger & Jeremy’s posing and feigning sophistication they can’t hang on to a paying gig for longer than 5 minutes, yet here is Jill soliciting her own endorsements. Maybe she could do Jinger’s PR??!

• Upvote 26

So I'm not an epidemiologist or a physician, but I am a research biologist and there are a few key things to point out.  It's true that there have been outbreaks of the virus linked to singing, but those events have all happened indoors.  The risk of transmission of the virus is waaaay higher in an enclosed space than an open space like a trail or a park.  Even if someone is coughing as they walk past you less than 2m away, the risk of you catching the virus that way is incredibly small to the point of being negligible.  When you're outside the aerosols (which we're still not certain can actually transmit the virus) are highly disturbed, meaning they're less likely to linger in the air.  They also mix with a greater number of other particles which reduces the amount of virus you might come in contact with.  To contract the virus, you need to come into contact with more than a single particle of the virus.  So the more repeated exposure you have to the virus, the more likely you are to have the virus overwhelm your body and take hold.  Here's a great article to read about minimizing risk: https://www.erinbromage.com/post/the-risks-know-them-avoid-them?campaign_id=9&emc=edit_nn_20200511&instance_id=18384&nl=the-morning&regi_id=95275081&segment_id=27239&te=1&user_id=1cce7baa9a97b1605e75a5e5d9b6d596 

Thank you, Natalie22, for this information. I’ve been asked to join several others to sing for a dear friend who has stopped treatment and is dying of cancer. We live in a rural community that has been largely spared in covid transmission. There hasn’t been a case in over a month. We know that it will be back, perhaps with a vengeance. Our outdoor lifestyle seems to be helping, though. The news of covid spreading through choirs has terrified me, and the only singing I’ve done since the beginning of March is online. We are making plans to be safe. We have all been taking turns visiting our friend by talking to him at the living room window, where his bed has been set up. The plan now is to spread out in the front yard near the window with appropriate spacing and sing show tunes from productions we have all been a part of over the years. It will be some precious last moments while he is still with us. I was fearful about the wisdom of my decision to participate (of a certain age with asthma/other immunosuppressive issues), but this information is very helpful. I’ve already lost two friends to cancer since quarantining, and I don’t think I can bear of thought of missing this opportunity for a real good-bye to someone so dear to us.
  • Love 26

I know one of Derick’s former teachers (not super well, but they are a friend of a family member). This teacher and their spouse were invited to Derick’s wedding. I would describe them both as hippie liberal activist types, and they definitely deliberately taught overtly non-fundie approved content in class.

When I asked about their invitation/attendance at the time of the wedding, this person had nothing but positive things to say about DD and his family. I know they invited trillions of people to their wedding, but I was still surprised this particular person would have had a relationship close and lasting enough with DD to warrant a wedding invitation.

At the time I just dismissed it as being due to a small community and a gigantic wedding, but their recent educational and life choices have made me rethink it. Maybe Derick is not quite so steeped in the kool-aid, or maybe he went through a phase, but is finding his way back.  

• Upvote 27

3 hours ago, Johannah said:

I know one of Derick’s former teachers (not super well, but they are a friend of a family member). This teacher and their spouse were invited to Derick’s wedding. I would describe them both as hippie liberal activist types, and they definitely deliberately taught overtly non-fundie approved content in class.

When I asked about their invitation/attendance at the time of the wedding, this person had nothing but positive things to say about DD and his family. I know they invited trillions of people to their wedding, but I was still surprised this particular person would have had a relationship close and lasting enough with DD to warrant a wedding invitation.

At the time I just dismissed it as being due to a small community and a gigantic wedding, but their recent educational and life choices have made me rethink it. Maybe Derick is not quite so steeped in the kool-aid, or maybe he went through a phase, but is finding his way back.  

I suppose he could have thought extreme fundamentalism offered a way of life so reached out to millionaire reality TV star Jim Bob for inspiration. The cynic in me says he fancied a ride on the gravy train. He seemed quite happy to go along with the charade for long enough though.

if he endorses Trump again I’d be inclined to think the bohemian image extends to clothing and soft furnishings only.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1

• samurai_sarah locked this topic