IGNORED

Dillards 84: Craving Attention

samurai_sarah

So I know over the last few days we’ve seen the Duggars/Bates post prayers and statements about praying for police, but Jill just reposted a post on her Insta story from the company Natural Life that the car accessories and outfits she recently got came from, and it actually says Black Lives Matter. She’s the first one out of that bunch to post about BLM and I’m honestly impressed that she’s making a stand, especially with many of her followers probably not supporting it. I put the post in a spoiler below. 

I really wish I could be a fly on the wall in her house to hear the conversations her and Derick are having about it. I bet her family is fuming. 

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.1a88c40c741b31eb37ee9ee326025e36.png

• Upvote 36
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 7

Good for her. I find Jill to be cringy on so many levels, but I can appreciate that she is making an effort. 

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 13

My first instinct on seeing that Jill had posted that was 'oh, she clearly doesn't understand what she's saying otherwise she'd never have posted it', but maybe I should give her the benefit of the doubt and assume she does understand, and is supporting POC at this time. 

• Upvote 10

Prior to this--not sure if it's still there--Jill had linked to a long IGTV video  on a woman named Priscilla Shirer's instagram. I guess she is the daughter of a Black pastor named Tony Evans who is fairly well known? And also an actress, apparently (in some Christian films). Anyway, it was a video of the whole family having a conversation about racism (and religion) led by Evans. I couldn't find statements regarding LGBTQ+ on either of their websites--googling revealed that Tony Evans seems pretty homophobic, but I couldn't find anything directly indicating that about Shirer. Is anyone familiar with her? What I found makes me think she is probably not pro-LGBTQ+, but she IS--os has gradually become--a deviation from Duggar views (under spoiler because long):

Spoiler

I skimmed this article from 2010 about her evangelical preaching to women: https://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/14/magazine/14evangelicals-t.html

Re: homophobia, she tweeted this lovely (/s) comment back in 2012: https://twitter.com/priscillashirer/status/231134897463492608?lang=en

However, I find it interesting that this very fundie-seeming blog post from 2015 basically condemns her for not being traditional/conservative enough, and being too "mystical", and links to a bunch of other fundie sites doing the same: https://michellelesley.com/2015/09/18/going-beyond-scripture-why-its-time-to-say-good-bye-to-priscilla-shirer-and-going-beyond-ministries/

BUT then she pops up in 2016 interviewing Jackie Perry about "confusion into clarity" when "she walked away from a homosexual lifestyle" (ughhhh): https://lifewaywomen.com/2016/05/25/the-chat-with-priscilla-from-confusion-to-clarity/

And yet this post in Open Christian from 2018 (which states it is pro-feminist, pro-queer) seems to praise her: https://www.reddit.com/r/OpenChristian/comments/84r47b/podcast_with_priscilla_shirer_actress_from_war/ (note that i did not listen to the podcast). The poster quoted her as saying ""The church is her best self when the diversity of God’s body is represented." and "When there are closed doors [regarding race, gender, style]... if those barriers are there, then we are handicapping the church as well as any other art form from being what it fully can be."

• Upvote 9

When you have the Bates posting that blue lives matter, Anna making George Floyd's death all about her family, Ashley Salyer sharing videos of her yelling at protesters that all lives matter starting at conception, and Sierra rambling on about how she has friends and family who are black and therefore isn't racist...

Good job Jill! Sharing black voices and stating that black lives matter, I'm proud of my pet fundie.

• Upvote 42
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 3

Priscilla Shirer is pretty liberal for a fundie. I've done a couple of her studies and don't recall any overtly anti-LBGTQ stuff in her materials. I could be wrong though. 

Way to go Jill...maybe there's hope for her yet 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 2

*deep sigh* 

So what I am not doing anymore is giving props to white people for not being  racist. I get compared to other fundies this is less offensive but the bar is in the 9th circle of hell. 

Instead of posting a trendy poster from some brand (which is not black owned) she could educate her followers about resources to donate to and/or educate themselves. 

This is below mediocre to me. 

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 5

The bar is definitely the floor, but I was pleasantly surprised by the post. It’s bare minimum but telling that some can’t even manage that. So many have posted “love everybody “ or “ we are one human race” type stuff so I’m glad to see she at least acknowledged the issue. 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 2

Priscilla Shirer is pretty mainstream evangelical...like Beth Moore I’d say, so what most secular people would think is closed minded but pretty liberal for evangelicals and have taken a lot of flack from their base for it. Both are very sincere.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 2

6 hours ago, Jinder Roles said:

Yeah but it's Jill.

Peeps wanna give this one to Jillymuffin (including me) because a) it's Jill and we wanna believe in her "progress" even if its delusional and b) fuck "imago dei" at least she managed get the words black lives matter out there

even if she did do it advertising for that hippie boutique she's partnered up with...

yeah you're totally right @Jinder Roles

• Upvote 7

Seriously tho, I think just a lot of us...white people..who are trying...are going to fuck up and do it wrong along the way somehow. And we're gonna probably be told we fucked up and are doing it wrong. But that's how ya learn. And I think we should be open to that and not stop trying. 

• Upvote 34
  • Love 3

Glad Jill posted something sincere unlike a lot of people. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1

13 hours ago, Jinder Roles said:

*deep sigh* 

So what I am not doing anymore is giving props to white people for not being  racist. I get compared to other fundies this is less offensive but the bar is in the 9th circle of hell. 

Instead of posting a trendy poster from some brand (which is not black owned) she could educate her followers about resources to donate to and/or educate themselves. 

How can she educate her followers on something she most likely doesn't totally understand herself?  Shes very new to this whole, thinking for yourself thing, and her circle of influence is still small, she's still trying to find her voice & place in this world. 

• Upvote 21
  • Love 1

I just can't believe this is a Duggar ya'll are talking about. Jill "Duggar" Dilliard...nose pierced and wearing pants. I think if she had married a guy more like her dad or brothers we would not be having this discussion. Not a big fan of Derick, but I SO want him to become a lawyer one day.

• I Agree 2

I grew up in a small rural town. I had never seen a black, Native American or oriental person until  I went to college. Or a Baptist, Catholic, Jew or Lutheran. Or anyone who wasn't  heterosexual. I wasn't bigoted, just totally unaware. We peacefully protested for civil rights, and against the Vietnam War. Yup, I'm over 70 now and still get things wrong.

Edited by Not that josh's mom
Added college
  • Upvote 27
  • Downvote 1
  • Love 1

20 hours ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

@Jinder Roles thanks for the reminder.  It's a big step for Jill, but ultimately achieves nothing.

Well, it does achieve something for Jill, it shows she's opened her mind a bit and progressed in her awareness. It also helps normalize the idea that black lives matter and police brutality is a problem for her (religious, conservative, very white) followers who look up to her and her family. Not long ago, nearly all conservatives saw Black Lives Matter as a radical, almost violent group. The Overton Window moves in millimeters, not feet. 

I do feel like a hypocrite typing this, because I've spent the past week deeply annoyed at my well off white thirty-something friends doing empty performative social media gestures, but in Jill's case, I think it does help a bit. (Not a lot. But a bit.) And it didn't strike me as just self-serving virtue signalling the way it has with my very liberal friends who only have other very liberal friends. 

• Upvote 23
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

I think the reason it doesn’t strike me as virtue signalling in Jill’s case is that it really isn’t something that will make her popular in her circles.  

• Upvote 21
  • I Agree 8

1 hour ago, Not that josh's mom said:

I grew up in a small rural town. I had never seen a black, Native American or oriental person until  I went to college. Or a Baptist, Catholic, Jew or Lutheran. Or anyone who wasn't  heterosexual. I wasn't bigoted, just totally unaware. We peacefully protested for civil rights, and against the Vietnam War. Yup, I'm over 70 now and still get things wrong.

Just letting you know that “oriental” shouldn’t be used any more, it’s a western white centric othering term. Asian/Asian American is fine to my knowledge. 

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 8
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, purple_summer said:

Just letting you know that “oriental” shouldn’t be used any more, it’s a western white centric othering term. Asian/Asian American is fine to my knowledge. 

Thank you. I am still trying to get things right. Still live in a small, rural town with very little diversity. That makes it even harder to get things right, I'm afraid. Thank you for correcting me.

• Upvote 23
  • Love 18

5 hours ago, Not that josh's mom said:

Thank you. I am still trying to get things right. Still live in a small, rural town with very little diversity. That makes it even harder to get things right, I'm afraid. Thank you for correcting me.

I grew up as the token black girl in a small town that’s 97% white. I’ve had to learn a lot of things myself. Intent and being open to change is 90% of the battle in my opinion. 

• Upvote 24
  • Love 12

14 hours ago, Tangy Bee said:

I just can't believe this is a Duggar ya'll are talking about. Jill "Duggar" Dilliard...nose pierced and wearing pants. I think if she had married a guy more like her dad or brothers we would not be having this discussion. Not a big fan of Derick, but I SO want him to become a lawyer one day.

Well, let's see what kind of lawyer he ends up working as. I'm hoping he doesn't use his law degree for anti-choice or other disenfranchising purposes.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 8

I wouldn’t call Priscilla Shirer a fundie, she’s actually considered a false teacher by many fundies because she teaches men. 
I can almost guarantee you that one of her books would not be allowed in the Duggar household. 
so Jill sharing something from her isn’t a small thing. 

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, OldFadedStar said:

I wouldn’t call Priscilla Shirer a fundie, she’s actually considered a false teacher by many fundies because she teaches men. 
I can almost guarantee you that one of her books would not be allowed in the Duggar household. 
so Jill sharing something from her isn’t a small thing. 

Back after Joshgate Anna went to one of Priscillas events and had her picture taken with her saying Priscilla was her favorite Bible teacher. Michelle might have been with her too? I can’t remember. So she may be Duggar approved? Or at least at that moment she was.

• Upvote 3

• samurai_sarah locked this topic