IGNORED

Dillards 84: Craving Attention

samurai_sarah

I'm in Missouri and have made a couple of mental health car drives.  They aren't prohibited here and Arkansas didn't do a state-wide stay at home order.  So what they are doing is allowed.

Also Derrick was in a cloth mask.  We didn't see Jill but I can assume that she may have been wearing one as well.  My concern was over her use of the word 'we.'  As in her and the boys were with him.  So not only was she along but the two kids as well.  Which led me to why?  And they were concerned about inbound severe thunderstorms (note - Sierra has photos on her 'gram of her and the kids under cover for tornado warnings).  I'm more concerned over Jill and two kids for a ride along with nasty weather heading in than I am about them doing this during Covid

• Upvote 7

26 minutes ago, Idlewild said:

I agree but the point being made here (UK) is about non essential car journeys. Derick’s would be classed as essential as he’s working but non essential passengers are not wise- if there’s an accident that’s extra people for already stretched emergency departments to deal with. I don’t know if the boys were in the car too ( they shouldn’t be in someone else’s household) but adults really need to take responsibility. I get it’s tough but they don’t think things through. 

Actually, the kids were my first thought.

It isn't the moment to have a babysitter over or to send the kids' to someone's place. That is not social distancing. And bringing the boys in the car while Derick is doing delivery, even if they sleep out in their seats, is also not a very responsible decision. Either way, I don't understand their choice.

• Upvote 12

9 minutes ago, clueliss said:

I'm in Missouri and have made a couple of mental health car drives. 

Wish you could take my dogs with you, I'm going to have to do this today for the begging to stop.  Prior to this a couple times a week I had to go pick up my son from work and they'd come with...they're missing our outings.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

There's no law preventing people from driving around in the US. This isn't a police state where you have to "have papers". If you need to get out, go. We are out once a day, to drive, hike at a local park, whatever. 

Edited by FaithAndReason
  • Upvote 18
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 2

I expect so little of these people that I'm still amazed that they're even wearing masks. The bar is so very low. Part of me wonders if they just slap one on for a photo to get kudos and then immediately take it off, that's how wary I am of them. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

37 minutes ago, FaithAndReason said:

There's no law preventing people from driving around in the US. This isn't a police state where you have to "have papers". If you need to get out, go. We are out once a day, to drive, hike at a local park, whatever. 

Sure.  But if you are delivering food for other people don't be surprised if they refuse to use your service if they look out and see a car with extraneous people.  If I can see my driver isn't interested in mitigating risk I would absolutely let the service know why I won't be using them again.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 6

49 minutes ago, FaithAndReason said:

No one said they should arrested or that this is a police state. The question is how wise is it? 

Like Buffy said from a business standpoint it seems unwise. Jill has long seemed to struggle with the concept of professionalism and boundaries.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 4

I didn't see the pic--unless he was also wearing gloves that he takes off and replaces after every delivery (disposing of them properly), he's adding another level of risk to his customers and his kiddos. Where does he put the food? Can jill and the kids breathe on it? Touch the bags?

Every time Dwreck does something that i might want to commend him for, like actually doing work (low bar, I know) he turns it into a douchefest.
Seriously, somebody should forward that pick to Grub Hub. I will if I find it. They're endangering every single customer. 

Edited to say I'm not a Karen; I'm from a very blue-collar background and I don't mess with people's livelihoods to be a bitch. I give everybody a 5 star rating, tip at least 20 percent and don't complain to managers as a matter of course. Well mostly course, because in cases like this where they can actually hurt people I don't feel bad about it at all.

Edited by patsymae
add something i forgot
  • Upvote 12

On 4/26/2020 at 4:05 PM, patsymae said:

I got my first washing machine as well as a dishwasher for $10 total at a garage sale. Had a teenage boy at the time and it was like, Holy Cow! There's a reason people want these things!
No dishwasher now but a little one is on my wish list (just me now), and if I never have to set foot in a laundromat again in my life I can die happy.

Realizing as I read this thread that I have never actually had a working dishwasher in my home. I now live in a small cottage by myself and never miss it. (It would take so long to have enough dishes to run it, I imagine the place would start smelling).

But thank God my place has a washing machine and dryer. I went without one for a year when I lived overseas and hand washing jeans and towels in a bathtub is a freaking nightmare. Going to a laundromat on one of your few days off sounds horrible too. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

4 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

Realizing as I read this thread that I have never actually had a working dishwasher in my home. I now live in a small cottage by myself and never miss it. (It would take so long to have enough dishes to run it, I imagine the place would start smelling).

But thank God my place has a washing machine and dryer. I went without one for a year when I lived overseas and hand washing jeans and towels in a bathtub is a freaking nightmare. Going to a laundromat on one of your few days off sounds horrible too. 

Been there, and yeah, it's a nightmare. I'm glad laundromats are there, but from being a little kid where my mom would take us on Saturdays (one car family) until I was about 40, laundromats are a second-level nightmare to me. I love washing machines. 
Washers and dryers are such much appreciated a luxury to me. In one of my moves I was going where it would be silly to move them, so I advertised each for $25. Wound up just leaving them for the new residents because the only responses I got were from people who asked "what color are they?" They wash and dry your clothes and they're $25. Geez.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

19 minutes ago, patsymae said:

I didn't see the pic--unless he was also wearing gloves that he takes off and replaces after every delivery (disposing of them properly), he's adding another level of risk to his customers and his kiddos. Where does he put the food? Can jill and the kids breathe on it? Touch the bags?

Every time Dwreck does something that i might want to commend him for, like actually doing work (low bar, I know) he turns it into a douchefest.
Seriously, somebody should forward that pick to Grub Hub. I will if I find it. They're endangering every single customer. 

Edited to say I'm not a Karen; I'm from a very blue-collar background and I don't mess with people's livelihoods to be a bitch. I give everybody a 5 star rating, tip at least 20 percent and don't complain to managers as a matter of course. Well mostly course, because in cases like this where they can actually hurt people I don't feel bad about it at all.

It’s on their instastory. It seems Derick had lengthy exam and then went to work- I have a feeling the idea to take the family along may have been more about Jill & the boys not being able to see him all day . If he does become a lawyer he will have plenty of long days where his kids will be in bed by the time he gets home. This is how it is for parents all over the world. They will have to work out compromises about getting quality family time- not necessarily packing the family into the car.

• Upvote 18

3 minutes ago, Idlewild said:

It’s on their instastory. It seems Derick had lengthy exam and then went to work- I have a feeling the idea to take the family along may have been more about Jill & the boys not being able to see him all day . If he does become a lawyer he will have plenty of long days where his kids will be in bed by the time he gets home. This is how it is for parents all over the world. They will have to work out compromises about getting quality family time- not necessarily packing the family into the car.

Seriously, there's a reason take your kid to work day is once a year. And IFIK there still isn't a take your wife to work day. Before COVID-19 I often got deliveries or rides (no car) from people who had their wife or girlfriend or kid in the car and of course I didn't care. And I'm good for food but try to do the support thing by ordering from Doordash every week or so (and I'm in what you might call the very-low income sector). But if now somebody pulled up with their whole freakin' family in the car I would not be a happy camper. There is no hardship reason this needs to happen; they are just careless, oblivious and selfish.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 7

I'm watching The Andy Griffith Show on TV Land as my loaf of bread bakes.  Anyway, Barney wants to find a wife for Andy and thinks for a while that Miss Crump would be perfect.  Then he finds out that not only can Helen not cook, she wants to keep teaching if she ever does get married.  Barney will have none of that, but not being a good cook is not a deal breaker with Andy and he tells Barney that women don't give up their jobs when they get married either.  "It's the 20th century!"  Andy did always date career women: Ellie was a pharmacist,  there were several public health nurses, and Helen Crump was a teacher. 

• Upvote 13

8 hours ago, Idlewild said:

Jill appears to be accompanying Derick on his GrubHub deliveries. During a pandemic. 

Pandemic date night

• Haha 12

34 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

I'm watching The Andy Griffith Show on TV Land as my loaf of bread bakes.  Anyway, Barney wants to find a wife for Andy and thinks for a while that Miss Crump would be perfect.  Then he finds out that not only can Helen not cook, she wants to keep teaching if she ever does get married.  Barney will have none of that, but not being a good cook is not a deal breaker with Andy and he tells Barney that women don't give up their jobs when they get married either.  "It's the 20th century!"  Andy did always date career women: Ellie was a pharmacist,  there were several public health nurses, and Helen Crump was a teacher. 

One of the public health nurses, Peggy, was played by Joanna Moore.  Mother to Tatum and Griffin O'Neal and Ryan O'Neal's then wife.  She was so beautiful; Tatum is the image of her mom.

Spoiler

4p89C-1543249393-2295-blog-andy_joannamoore.jpg

• Upvote 10
  • Love 2

On 4/29/2020 at 3:36 AM, AussieKrissy said:

I can not imagine life without a washing machine.... indoor plumbing would have to be high on that list. Though I’m not sure when that came in. 

My mom was born in 1946, she said they moved into a house with indoor plumbing when she was about 6 years old, that would have been 1952. They lived in rural Wisconsin and moved to a small town, in rural WI, where most of my family still lives. Her father was born in 1900 and that house was the 1st house he'd lived in with indoor plumbing, he was 52 years old before he had running water in his house. My grandmother was 14 years younger and had indoor plumbing from as long as she could remember until she married and moved to rural WI with my grandfather. 

• Upvote 5

20 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

My mom was born in 1946, she said they moved into a house with indoor plumbing when she was about 6 years old, that would have been 1952. They lived in rural Wisconsin and moved to a small town, in rural WI, where most of my family still lives. Her father was born in 1900 and that house was the 1st house he'd lived in with indoor plumbing, he was 52 years old before he had running water in his house. My grandmother was 14 years younger and had indoor plumbing from as long as she could remember until she married and moved to rural WI with my grandfather. 

My parents were married in 1969 & my paternal grandparents still had a trail to the outhouse.  I was born in 1973 & there was a small bathroom added to the back of the house at that point.  The washer & dryer were in the tiny kitchen that the bathroom was attached to.  When I was little I didn't think about it, because that's just the way it was. As an adult, I don't know how they raised four children in such small quarters.  I know that all four kids slept in one bed in an open room.  There was only one small bedroom in the house.

• Upvote 11

My dad's mom didn't get indoor plumbing until she moved into town after my granddad died.  They always had a well outside the back door (fortunately, the well was covered and had a pump) and an outhouse.  I'm not sure if my mom's family's farm had indoor plumbing or not, but they did when they moved into town in the early 40s.  I think they moved into town because of the war, but my granddad ran a grocery store once they moved into town.  He also served several terms as mayor.  Grandmama still churned her own butter though.   My brother and sister could remember her reading while she churned.  

• Upvote 5

Ok. Y'all are going to understand that I'm old now. I lived without indoor plumbing until I was 5 years old, in 1954. I remember being absolutely amazed at running water. And to this day I refuse to use an outhouse ot portapotty!  

• Upvote 8
  • Love 5

My parents both used to have to use the outhouse when visit their grandparents' house. Dad's grandparents' was the worse because they had a mean goose that attacked anyone and everyone. So if you had to go the bathroom you had to wait until it was far enough away or another part of the farm and run to the outhouse as fast as you could. The goose always came running. Then afterwards wait until it was distracted again before running into the house. It was bad enough in the day time but worse at night especially when it was winter when it was so cold, freezing and if you were a girl or had to poop sit on a cold freezing seat and you still had the mean goose. It was better then watch dog but everyone hated it because of the bathroom and you couldn't just hang outside the house. My mom's parents eventually paid to put indoor plumbing in for Mom's grandpa and he loved it. He though it was the best thing ever. No having to put on shoes or in the winter a coat and gloves just to go the bathroom. 

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 3

THe house I live in now (built in the sixties) has an outhouse, the toilet is still there! Shared toilet on the landing was still very common in these parts in poorer tenaments at that time.

• Upvote 7

So interesting this plumbing discussion. 
Always had a toilet indoors. But not a bathroom.
My grandparents house never had a bathroom until they moved out and this was in 1995. When staying there as kids, we always washed ourselves in or at the kitchen sink. For a proper bath, you would go to a bathhouse. 

And even when I was studying back in the nineties, I lived in houses without a shower. There was plumbing for the kitchen and a indoor toilet, but no bathroom. All were houses in major cities in The Netherlands, some build in the thirties or fifties others were from centuries ago. Apparently having a bathroom was not a priority back then. 

• Upvote 8

On 4/30/2020 at 8:39 AM, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

My GF was also born in 1900 and my GM was also 14 years younger. My aunt, my mom’s youngest sister,  was born when my GF was 53...she’ s only a couple of years older than me! 

• Upvote 5

58 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

My GF was also born in 1900 and my GM was also 14 years younger. My aunt, my mom’s youngest sister,  was born when my GF was 53...she’ s only a couple of years older than me! 

My mom's youngest brother was born when their father was 55, he died in 1969, a year  before I was born. My youngest was born on what would have been his 100th birthday. 

• Upvote 7

3 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Mick Jagger's great grandson is older than his youngest son.

• Upvote 10
  • Rufus Bless 6
  • WTF 3

• samurai_sarah locked this topic