IGNORED

Chelsy and John Maxwell 8: Killing Demons with a Salt Gun

HerNameIsBuffy

Marlin is as bad as Steve or even worse.

Why? Genuine question. I don’t know a lot about Pa Bontrager but Stevehovas serious letters or whatever they are called are some of the worst I‘ve seen here.
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Smash! said:

Why? Genuine question. I don’t know a lot about Pa Bontrager but Stevehovas serious letters or whatever they are called are some of the worst I‘ve seen here.

Bontragers are even more sexist than Maxwells. They make an idol of masculinity, reaching a point no Maxwell has ever done. Also, Bontragers are open about disciplining and hitting children (at least Maxwells are cautious about that issues). 

I'm not saying Maxwells are better! Just different corner of hell. But Bons are very very dark.

3 hours ago, adidas said:

Elliot is a nice name. And wow, Chelsey is showing her shoulders! You go girl! 

Chelsy sleeptrained Axton since his birth, scheduled feeding time and trained him not no move or touch his food, before he was even 1 year old. Axton is often hold in a way he can't move his hands. She can wear a bikini or whatever, she's not better than other fundies, neither more progressive or compassive. 

Sincerely, I doubt her clothes disturb Teri and Steve as much as some people think. In their circles, many women dress modern. She's a submissive SAHM who workships John and wants a bunch of robotic kids. She's as *good* as Anna Marie, just with different outfits.

• Upvote 26
  • I Agree 3

Elliot is a way better name than Axton. What is with these fundies giving their first child a horrible name and then giving the next kids much better names? Examples: Spurgeon and Heistheway. I guess they learn their lesson with the first awful name. I am glad she had a boy. Girls born in the Bontrager family make me sad. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2

That type of car seat can face backwards. I know because we have one and until her youngest son was 2, we had it backward facing. I actually debated changing it, because the new research is saying to face backward until age 4. 

Anyways, Elliot is definitely a nice name and I'm glad they had a boy, too. 

• Upvote 6

46 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

Bontragers are even more sexist than Maxwells. They make an idol of masculinity, reaching a point no Maxwell has ever done. Also, Bontragers are open about disciplining and hitting children (at least Maxwells are cautious about that issues). 

I'm not saying Maxwells are better! Just different corner of hell. But Bons are very very dark.

Chelsy sleeptrained Axton since his birth, scheduled feeding time and trained him not no move or touch his food, before he was even 1 year old. Axton is often hold in a way he can't move his hands. She can wear a bikini or whatever, she's not better than other fundies, neither more progressive or compassive. 

Sincerely, I doubt her clothes disturb Teri and Steve as much as some people think. In their circles, many women dress modern. She's a submissive SAHM who workships John and wants a bunch of robotic kids. She's as *good* as Anna Marie, just with different outfits.

This. I never thought Chelsy was less fundie or John had "escaped" anything by marrying her. Their painting may be different, but their structures & foundation are the same hateful, awful BS. Chelsy didn't get the name "Judgy Chelsy" for nothing. She was raised to outbreed "others" for her god's army or whatever/however they are phrasing it at any point in time. She stifled her son by constantly holding his hands in place so he can't dare touch something - then was "surprised" when he had no interest in his smash cake. Her parents promote the Pearls and other abhorrent people, proudly posting pictures when they meet up with them. Roy Moore, anyone? Her mother taught her that 2 year olds are not shy, they are stubborn. 

The ugly out of the Bontrager camp is just as ugly as what comes out of the Maxwell camp. It's just wrapped up differently.

Also, I really like the name Elliott. If I were to magically have a son, that is the name I'd have chosen. I don't like that it's now attached to a Maxwell, because part of the reason I've loved it is because everyone I know with the name is a pretty cool person. Fortunately, I will not make babies so it's irrelevant. But, still...

• Upvote 10
  • Love 3

[mention]Melissa1977 [/mention] If the Bons and Maxwells wouldn’t share the same values and opinions like e.g. disciplining and training their children I doubt Pa Bontrager would have allowed John to marry Chelsy. In the end it‘s important for those people to marry someone from the same flavor of christianity and sometimes it seems it‘s the most important requirement before character etc.

• Upvote 8

Our cat is named Elliot. When I’m annoyed with him, I call him Elliot Smelliot. I’m 37 going on 12.

Fun fact: Elliot is Arnold Maxwell’s identical twin. I love brown tabbies.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 7
  • Haha 5
  • Love 2

Elliott Rex I'm so sorry you were born into two fucked up families.  Both the Bontrager and Maxwell families suck.  At least the Bontrager kids are allowed friends and sports but their belief system still sucks.

Edited by SPHASH
ETA
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 6

5 hours ago, LurkerOverThePond said:

Nice to see they honored late Grandpa Rex (Gigi's husband).

Seems perhaps they are going with a theme of using the middle name to honor family. Interesting they have skipped over both Steve and Marlin and gone straight to their grandparents level for names. If/when they have a third boy their naming choice will be telling.

• Upvote 6

19 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

My brother has always said that if you're so stupid as to ride without a helmet then you're too stupid to be riding a motorcycle.  

Do you know what you call a motorcycle driver without a helmet?   Future Organ Donor 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, Lady Grass Lake said:

Do you know what you call a motorcycle driver without a helmet?   Future Organ Donor 

I’ve heard that expression so many times. 

• Upvote 5

@Melissa1977, you said on the previous page about how some kids cry less when they face forward.  I can attest to this.  Back in the Dark Ages of the 80s when I was having most of my babies, the recommendation was to turn the baby around at 6 months.  Shannon had always screamed like a banshee when she was in the car seat, facing the rear.  The minute we turned her car seat around, the screaming stopped.  She did not like riding rear-facing.  Her great grandmother used to ride the Metro in the DC area and she could not abide being in a seat that was not facing forward.  IIRC, she got motion sickness from facing the rear.  

What are parents of kids like my daughter supposed to do?  I'm not saying that they should turn them around, but the car seat makers should work on a safe solution.  

• Upvote 5

15 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@Melissa1977, you said on the previous page about how some kids cry less when they face forward.  I can attest to this.  Back in the Dark Ages of the 80s when I was having most of my babies, the recommendation was to turn the baby around at 6 months.  Shannon had always screamed like a banshee when she was in the car seat, facing the rear.  The minute we turned her car seat around, the screaming stopped.  She did not like riding rear-facing.  Her great grandmother used to ride the Metro in the DC area and she could not abide being in a seat that was not facing forward.  IIRC, she got motion sickness from facing the rear.  

What are parents of kids like my daughter supposed to do?  I'm not saying that they should turn them around, but the car seat makers should work on a safe solution.  

My GD would vomit, turn blue, scream to the point of practically passing out. This was before the days of the review mirrors attached to the car seat. Plus, she didn’t care if others were riding next to her in the back seat. In exasperation, we turned the CS forward. Disclaimer, she lives in a country where there is no CS law and most folks do not own their own car. I think her parents finally had a reliable car when she turned 2.5...the rest of the time she was a mass transit kid- when she visited the US car transport was not pleasant.

• Upvote 3

I can't recall anything guessing Elliott for a name (it's way too normal/nice) but I'm giving myself half points for picking something with Ls in it! 

• Upvote 4

My son had motion sickness as well when he rode backwards. We turned him forward facing right before his 2nd birthday because of it. Before we turned him, he would cry hysterically most of the time he was in his seat. It was horrible. I barely made it to two. That's the recommendation where I live. The law is at least one and 22 lbs. 

My daughter is much more chill in her seat. She just turned one. I would be open to keeping her rear facing after two but we'll see how it goes. 

• Upvote 4

There are some small steps you can take with a rear facing child that can help if they just don't like riding backwards. The most common thing is to adjust the angle of the carseat. Most rear facing seats can be used at a few different angles and still be safe to use (do check with your manual, all seats are different!) Frequently, adjusting the seat to be more upright helps. A lot of older infants/toddlers just don't like the overly reclined seats. Other distractions can help (soft mirrors and or toys). There isn't a lot that can be done for true motion sickness, but that is relatively rare in children under 3, though it does happen. (I forget the science behind it, it has been years since I took my CPST course).

My older two kids went forward facing at around 18 months. My oldest daughter's carseat only rear faced to 22 pounds (16 years ago), my son's went to 30 pounds but he was a hefty boy. ?. At lot of advancements were made between kids 2 and 3. My younger daughter rear faced until she was roughly 3.5 years old. She didn't outgrow the seat, it went to 40 pounds rear facing and she still had a lot of room height wise, but we felt it was a good time to make the switch. I still remember the first car ride with her forward facing. She got in the car and exclaimed "Mommy! I didn't know you could drive!!" ?? I had been taking her to preschool every day for 5ish months but she didn't realize I was driving. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 8
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

23 hours ago, Bethy said:

Someone told me once that it's actually insurance companies that support the laws that DON'T require helmets. If you're in a motorcycle accident sans helmet you're probably going to die on impact and that's a lot less $$ of a payout than if you're just disabled for life like you might be if you're wearing a helmet. So the insurance companies would rather you just die.

I have no idea if that's true, just repeating what I was told.

I've heard the opposite--that insurance companies were the main instigators of laws requiring helmets. Traumatic brain injuries are hella-expensive for them and in, for example, an incident where an automobile strikes the motorcyclist, if the insured is not wearing a helmet as required by law he's going to be held at least partially liable, so the payout from a lawsuit will be much less, possibly nothing.

2 hours ago, Lady Grass Lake said:

In that vein, guess which state in the US is #1 for pediatric organ donations. If you guessed Utah, where seat belt/car seat laws don't apply when you are hauling around more kids than you have seats for, you'd be correct.

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 6
  • WTF 2

On 6/18/2020 at 7:32 PM, Cults-r-us said:

When I was pregnant (26 years ago), maternity clothes made you look like the Good Ship Lillipop!

My baby just turned 30, and yeah, maternity clothes were loose and flowy and usually included giant bows!

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

56 minutes ago, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

I can't recall anything guessing Elliott for a name (it's way too normal/nice) but I'm giving myself half points for picking something with Ls in it! 

I picked Elmer and he was a grandpa so I'm partly right on that and the first initial.  This is probably the closest I've gotten to getting a name right.

Edited by SPHASH
ETA
  • Upvote 6

You moms that are having babies now (or recently) have no idea how good you've got it in terms of car seat design. When I was little in the 50s, the only car seats available were those things that hooked over the back of the bench seat.  It might have a plastic play steering wheel and basically did nothing to keep the baby safe.  In the mid to late 70s,  there were two big innovations in car seats: the GM Love Seat for infants and the Strollee Wee-Care Car Seat.  The Strollee was adaptable for small babies, who faced rearwards and older babies/toddlers who faced forwards.  It did have several levels of incline including straight up and was supposed to be tethered when forward-facing.  Almost nobody ever tethered their Strollee although we did.  It had a five-point harness and we always fastened ours correctly although many parents did not.  You have so many more -and better- choices- in car seats now.  The Strollee Company is no longer in business.  Karen and Richard Carpenter were investors because Strollee was based in Downey. California, where they lived.  

If you want to get a look at the old timey car seats, the old blue 1962 edition of The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding has a drawing of a baby in one of those seats.  

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

27 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

You moms that are having babies now (or recently) have no idea how good you've got it in terms of car seat design. When I was little in the 50s, the only car seats available were those things that hooked over the back of the bench seat.  It might have a plastic play steering wheel and basically did nothing to keep the baby safe.  In the mid to late 70s,  there were two big innovations in car seats: the GM Love Seat for infants and the Strollee Wee-Care Car Seat.  The Strollee was adaptable for small babies, who faced rearwards and older babies/toddlers who faced forwards.  It did have several levels of incline including straight up and was supposed to be tethered when forward-facing.  Almost nobody ever tethered their Strollee although we did.  It had a five-point harness and we always fastened ours correctly although many parents did not.  You have so many more -and better- choices- in car seats now.  The Strollee Company is no longer in business.  Karen and Richard Carpenter were investors because Strollee was based in Downey. California, where they lived.  

If you want to get a look at the old timey car seats, the old blue 1962 edition of The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding has a drawing of a baby in one of those seats.  

A few days ago I caught an episode of “Bewitched”  with Samantha driving Adam in the over-the-bench-seat chair and Tabitha standing on the shotgun seat of the family convertible. Nearly had a heart attack! But thus it was done. 

As the first Junior JB’s birth neared in 1981, Big Mama and Big Dad JB asked me what I still needed.  They chuckled indulgently at “car seat.” Oh Junie, they said, that’s not til the baby can sit up! You just hold ‘em til then!  As well meaning as could be.

I presented them with an article the next day about a toddler with TBI because she’d been in granny’s arms, in the backseat, in a collision. My parents read it and nearly fell over each other, scrambling to get to the store to get a proper car seat!!! ❤️❤️ 

That was 1981, folks. Gollee.

I’ve been away from this sheet show, preferring to focus on insanity a few miles farther from my nest (Jill Rodrigues, in Ohio).  Where can I find info on Judgy-poo sleeptraining Axton and restraining his hands?  Her blog?? Thanks in nauseating advance... 

Edited by MamaJunebug
  • Upvote 7
  • Love 3

I had to buy a nice maternity dress for my husband’s office party the Christmas I was pregnant with our second. I found a red knee length dress with GIANT buttons down the front. The buttons were pearl, trimmed with gold and  I loved that dress. Now I know that those buttons probably defrauded every male in the room - me standing there with my big round self being all sluttish. 

Also, that was the pregnancy that, with six weeks left, I bought myself a new blouse. I had been sick with a sinus infection for weeks, I was exhausted and just feeling overwhelmed.  A new maternity shop opened nearby and I bought this fantastic brightly colored top. I still think it was a great decision! That top did wonders for my mood those last few weeks. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • Love 7

57 minutes ago, MamaJunebug said:

A few days ago I caught an episode of “Bewitched”  with Samantha driving Adam in the over-the-bench-seat chair and Tabitha standing on the shotgun seat of the family convertible. Nearly had a heart attack! But thus it was done. 

As the first Junior JB’s birth neared in 1981, Big Mama and Big Dad JB asked me what I still needed.  They chuckled indulgently at “car seat.” Oh Junie, they said, that’s not til the baby can sit up! You just hold ‘em til then!  As well meaning as could be.

I presented them with an article the next day about a toddler with TBI because she’d been in granny’s arms, in the backseat, in a collision. My parents read it and nearly fell over each other, scrambling to get to the store to get a proper car seat!!! ❤️❤️ 

That was 1981, folks. Gollee.

I’ve been away from this sheet show, preferring to focus on insanity a few miles farther from my nest (Jill Rodrigues, in Ohio).  Where can I find info on Judgy-poo sleeptraining Axton and restraining his hands?  Her blog?? Thanks in nauseating advance... 

A friend of my mom’s bought a used car seat at the Salvation Army(late 70s).  It was a step up from the hooked-over-the-bench-seat, model, but not by much.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 2

11 minutes ago, usmcmom said:

I had to buy a nice maternity dress for my husband’s office party the Christmas I was pregnant with our second. I found a red knee length dress with GIANT buttons down the front. The buttons were pearl, trimmed with gold and  I loved that dress. Now I know that those buttons probably defrauded every male in the room - me standing there with my big round self being all sluttish. 

Also, that was the pregnancy that, with six weeks left, I bought myself a new blouse. I had been sick with a sinus infection for weeks, I was exhausted and just feeling overwhelmed.  A new maternity shop opened nearby and I bought this fantastic brightly colored top. I still think it was a great decision! That top did wonders for my mood those last few weeks. 

My mom was pregnant in the early 80s with us. She said that maternity clothing was awful at that time. She was pregnant around the same time as Princess Diana. My mom said that the style was to wear a giant tent of a dress or blouse and put a big bow on it as a distraction. It was more about hiding the bump than accentuating it. She was happy to go right back to her regular clothes once we were born. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

4 hours ago, Queen Of Hearts said:

Seems perhaps they are going with a theme of using the middle name to honor family. Interesting they have skipped over both Steve and Marlin and gone straight to their grandparents level for names. If/when they have a third boy their naming choice will be telling.

Both do already have grandchildren that are named after them (Steve has Benjamin Steven and Marlin Joe has Micah Joe), so maybe Chelsy and John wanted to pick someone that hadn't been honored yet. 

• Upvote 6

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic