IGNORED

Chelsy and John Maxwell 8: Killing Demons with a Salt Gun

HerNameIsBuffy

Also, just because it’s legal in their state, it’s not recommended by pediatricians!

AAP recommends children be rear facing until at least 2. Many convertible car seats allow extended rear facing. My 2 year old’s allows rear facing until 40 pounds! If they had to take him out of the infant seat, there are a ton of car seat options that allow for rear facing AND forward facing.  

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4

Geesh, Chelsy. Kansas law also allows women to have an abortion. Are you going to say THAT is okay too? 

• Upvote 21
  • Haha 9
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 7

My mind went to Kansas law allows adults to ride a motorcycle without a helmet. Does that make it prudent to ride a motorcycle without the helmet though.  

• Upvote 10
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 4

15 minutes ago, clueliss said:

My mind went to Kansas law allows adults to ride a motorcycle without a helmet. Does that make it prudent to ride a motorcycle without the helmet though.  

I hate driving near people on motorcycles without a helmet. I usually let them all pass me because I never want to be in an accident with someone without a helmet. Of course I never want to be in an accident. But if I hit another car, they at least have a bit of protection. If I’m in an accident and a motorcyclist is involved and they aren’t wearing a helmet, they could be very seriously hurt or die. And I couldn’t live the rest of my life knowing that. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 10

14 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I hate driving near people on motorcycles without a helmet. I usually let them all pass me because I never want to be in an accident with someone without a helmet. Of course I never want to be in an accident. But if I hit another car, they at least have a bit of protection. If I’m in an accident and a motorcyclist is involved and they aren’t wearing a helmet, they could be very seriously hurt or die. And I couldn’t live the rest of my life knowing that. 

Someone told me once that it's actually insurance companies that support the laws that DON'T require helmets. If you're in a motorcycle accident sans helmet you're probably going to die on impact and that's a lot less $$ of a payout than if you're just disabled for life like you might be if you're wearing a helmet. So the insurance companies would rather you just die.

I have no idea if that's true, just repeating what I was told.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 10

It would be interesting to see if the no-helmet people are the same ones who refuse to wear a mask during this pandemic. It’s often more of a “Nobody can tell me what to do” attitude than believing they are actually safe without a helmet (or mask), I think.  

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 8

My brother has always said that if you're so stupid as to ride without a helmet then you're too stupid to be riding a motorcycle.  

• Upvote 21

Damn, that must be so confusing if states have different rules about these things. I would definitely do my research if I was in that situation though.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

Damn, that must be so confusing if states have different rules about these things. I would definitely do my research if I was in that situation though.

I’ve decided that each state in the US is like it’s own little country. Everything is so different from state to state. And I’m not even talking about laws (although they are hugely different from state to state). 

• Upvote 13
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’ve decided that each state in the US is like it’s own little country. Everything is so different from state to state. And I’m not even talking about laws (although they are hugely different from state to state). 

Yes! Having moved from one state to another eighteen months ago, I am definitely learning about this. Each state is different, for sure; but changing regions might make it even more complicated. For example, moving from a Midwest state to a Southern state has been a big learning experience. Every now and then we wonder why we thought we could do this in our fifties. It’s interesting to be “the new kid” at this age. 

About laws and regulations, I am trying to decide when to tackle a trip back to see my mother. With the closures and different rules in place regarding the virus, I have to be aware of three states’ guidelines, closures, etc. It’s overwhelming and I think I want to wait a couple months to see if a surge happens. 

• Upvote 13

6 hours ago, Bethy said:

Someone told me once that it's actually insurance companies that support the laws that DON'T require helmets. If you're in a motorcycle accident sans helmet you're probably going to die on impact and that's a lot less $$ of a payout than if you're just disabled for life like you might be if you're wearing a helmet. So the insurance companies would rather you just die.

I have no idea if that's true, just repeating what I was told.

Paramedic here. This is probably true.  With a helmet you’re more likely to survive but with serious injuries, even paralysis.  Without a helmet, you’re just dead.

We call them donor cycles.  If you’re going to ride without a helmet, please at least make sure your family knows you want to be an organ donor.

• Upvote 13
  • Sad 3

Really stupid question about the Axton car seat deal, but would his weight be taken into consideration with him facing forward or is he still too young? I am just asking because I've seen children in car seats around Axton's age facing forward and they are able to because of how much they weigh. Just asking and wondering here. 

6 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

My brother has always said that if you're so stupid as to ride without a helmet then you're too stupid to be riding a motorcycle.  

Sadly, where I live in CT, it is legal to ride a motorcycle without a helmet. I see them all the time riding without it. I asked my dad one time how that became a law he told me that there was a guy who advocated for motorcyclists to ride without helmets only to die shortly after it became legal not to wear a helmet because he wasn't wearing one. After hearing this story I don't know how cyclists can continue on riding without one. 

• Upvote 4
  • WTF 1

@sableduck, my nephew always shakes his head when he sees motorcyclers without helmets and says, “Organ donors.”

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, NancyDrewFan1989 said:

Really stupid question about the Axton car seat deal, but would his weight be taken into consideration with him facing forward or is he still too young? I am just asking because I've seen children in car seats around Axton's age facing forward and they are able to because of how much they weigh. Just asking and wondering here. 

Sadly, where I live in CT, it is legal to ride a motorcycle without a helmet. I see them all the time riding without it. I asked my dad one time how that became a law he told me that there was a guy who advocated for motorcyclists to ride without helmets only to die shortly after it became legal not to wear a helmet because he wasn't wearing one. After hearing this story I don't know how cyclists can continue on riding without one. 

The rear facing carseat deal is usually age + weight.  Age, so their little skeletons have time to mature.  Weight has to do with the manufacturer of the car seat.  Different seats, different weight limits for different seat positions.  Often you'll see "2 years of age AND 30 lbs" or something like that.

I forward faced our kids early.  My oldest was 18 months and my youngest just turned at 2.5.  I usually get at people more for loose or incorrect strap/buckle placements than whether they rear or forward face but even as an early forward facing mama, I think Axton is too young.

• Upvote 5

Stupid question from someone whose last “baby” was my grandson (who is nearly 13): How do you manage a rear-facing car seat for a kid with really long legs? (We’re all shorties in my family.)

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Hane said:

Stupid question from someone whose last “baby” was my grandson (who is nearly 13): How do you manage a rear-facing car seat for a kid with really long legs? (We’re all shorties in my family.)

Most kids just fold their legs up.  Sitting criss cross applesauce style.  The idea is that in the event of a crash, better to have broken legs from being rear faced than internal decapitation from forward facing too early.  Many people will rear face until the child is 4 or more years of age and there are seats that accommodate that.

Edited by bluelady
  • Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

5 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

The thing is, the distinction is between states following the almost-universal guideline in recent years of rear facing until at least 2, and those who have not updated their laws yet. So if you just follow the guideline that has been proven to save lives, there's no confusion.

20 minutes ago, Hane said:

More car seats now have extenders for this. We use the Graco Extend2Fit 3-in-1 and my son is 3.5 years old and 36", you pull out a little panel otherwise they can just cross their legs or put them on the back of the seat. It goes til 50 lbs! We actually just turned him around, got as close to 4 as we could.

I dont understand why fundies are obsessed with turning the kids right around at 1. We've seen it with Alyssa Bates Webster, Chelsy, and then theres the Mortons who barely bother with car seats. It's like they're done being pro-life once the kid is out of the womb.

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1

Elliot Rex Maxwell is here!  Cute little guy.  http://www.chelsyrenee.com/2020/06/and-baby-makes-four.html

Chelsy is in a sleeveless top in the pictures. FU, Steve-o!

Also, I suspect Axton's move to the forward facing car seat has less to do with his size and more to do with them needing to free up the baby seat for the new arrival.  

Edited by Queen Of Hearts
  • Upvote 10
  • Thank You 10

Elliot’s a nice name. What a cute kid. Sorry about your paternal grandfather, kid. (I know Marlin isn’t great either but I know much less about him).

• Upvote 5

Nice to see they honored late Grandpa Rex (Gigi's husband).

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

40 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

Elliot’s a nice name. What a cute kid. Sorry about your paternal grandfather, kid. (I know Marlin isn’t great either but I know much less about him).

Marlin is as bad as Steve or even worse.

• Upvote 7

1 minute ago, Melissa1977 said:

Marlin is as bad as Steve or even worse.

Ok then, I amend my original statement:

Sorry about your family and the fucked-up belief system you were born into, kid.

• Upvote 15

3 hours ago, Queen Of Hearts said:

Also, I suspect Axton's move to the forward facing car seat has less to do with his size and more to do with them needing to free up the baby seat for the new arrival.  

The thing that confuses me is that I don’t know what seat is available for Axton that doesn’t allow him to continue to rear face. He’s way too small for the front facing only seats.

Somehow don’t think Chelsey and John are going to make a connection to the baby being born on Juneteenth.

• Upvote 6

5 hours ago, freethemall said:

I dont understand why fundies are obsessed with turning the kids right around at 1. We've seen it with Alyssa Bates Webster, Chelsy,

Duggars, Zsu, etc. Reasons?

They need the seat for the new blessing.

They have been raised to think that safety is bullshit and Jesus protects them. Or they just don't think about safety.

Usually when children change the position, cry less in the car. I see some of them (Alyssa, Zsu...) fine with whatever makes kids shut up and let them drive in peace. 

• Upvote 5

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic