IGNORED

Chelsy and John Maxwell 8: Killing Demons with a Salt Gun

HerNameIsBuffy

56 minutes ago, usmcmom said:

I took her shopping last week and bought her some maternity jeans at Target. She now knows the glory of that big stretchy panel!! 

I don't know if Japanese Weekend is still a brand, but I absolutely loved them. Instead of a panel, which is great early on or if you're not carrying a big baby, they have a wide elastic band that sits below your bump and helps support it. Pricy but so comfortable!

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

I don't know if Japanese Weekend is still a brand, but I absolutely loved them. Instead of a panel, which is great early on or if you're not carrying a big baby, they have a wide elastic band that sits below your bump and helps support it. Pricy but so comfortable!

Thank you. I will pass this on to her. 

• Upvote 1

I just saw the selling clothing post on Chelsy's blog. I have a feeling she is selling stuff that either doesn't fit anymore or she just doesn't wear them as much. In the past, Chelsy had done numerous blog posts about thrift shopping and finding deals at stores (she mentioned she loves partaking in Black Friday shopping for this reason). So, to me, it seemed like every chance she could get she was at a store doing some shopping. Plus, Allison mentioned that she and Chelsy used to borrow each others clothing. Allison, I believe, alluded to her actively borrowing a lot of Chelsy's clothing shortly before her wedding. Honestly, I really think she is cleaning out her closet. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, NancyDrewFan1989 said:

Honestly, I really think she is cleaning out her closet. 

I Just hope she's not replacing her clothes with the ugly ass skirts like the one Teri wore in today's post:

terishopping-768x1024.jpg

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, SPHASH said:

I Just hope she's not replacing her clothes with the ugly ass skirts like the one Teri wore in today's post:

terishopping-768x1024.jpg

Most skirts like this are a staple in the fundie girl wardrobe. Chelsey has bee seen in past photos wearing a skirt like this one. 

• Upvote 6

Just now, NancyDrewFan1989 said:

Most skirts  like this are a staple in the fundie girl wardrobe. Chelsey has bee seen in past photos wearing a skirt like this one. 

It’s the fundie equivalent of jeans and a T-shirt.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

19 hours ago, SassyPants said:

It’s the fundie equivalent of jeans and a T-shirt.

When I wear jeans and a t-shirt I look far more feminine than the ratty jean skirt & too bit tshirt or the two layers of shirts they wear all the time. My jeans fit, my t-shirt fits, both are neat and tidy. Typically. Even when I wear jeans and a sweatshirt. 

I'd say this look on fundies is the equivalent of sweats & a ratty shirt worn to hang around the house, paint or sleep in. 

It looks like Teri has socks on with her Keens, or whatever brand they are. Given her skirt doesn't go to her feet, I bet that's quite the look - worn, too big, frumpy denim skirt, socks and Keens. All with a t-shirt that needs to be shrunk. Such a feminine look that is. ?

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 7
  • I Agree 2

I think the long jean skirts are pretty out of fashion for most of the fashionable fundie girls these days. I haven’t seen a Bates or Duggar wear one in awhile. If they wear a jean skirt, it’s shorter. Long jean skirts seem like a pain in the ass to wear. There’s no stretch! If I wear a long skirt, I want a little stretch. The Maxwells have never been fashion forward in fundie circles. They are usually a few years behind everyone else. They got rid of the jumpers and prairie dresses after the Duggars and Bateses ditched them. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 5

I wear socks with my Birkenstocks, but not when I'm wearing them with a skirt.  My favorite socks are my Mickey Mouse ones as the grandkids get a kick out of them.

Edited by PennySycamore
  • Upvote 4
  • Love 6

For people who are so focused on girls being girls and boys being boys, to me, none of the original Maxwell women present as overtly feminine. I’d call their clothing style “utilitarian.” It has to be hard to clean ceiling fans, tile showers, plant trees, change tires and pump iron in those long jean skirts. The more I think about it , Maxhell is misogynistic more than anything else. The women are present and tolerated because they do most of the work. Is there ever any talk of Steve cleaning toilets or ceiling fans? 

• Upvote 21

Chelsy did a dull update post on what is in her make up bag. In the post she stated that she didn't really care to wear make up growing up and was more of a tomboy. Furthermore, Becky gave Chelsy her first lip gloss at thirteen and mascara at sixteen, only to neve really use them because she could have cared less about wearing make up. So, to me, it sounds like Chelsy wasn't living up to Marlin and Becky's feminine standards and were trying to encourage force her to do so.

On top of that, she is asking for recommendations to up her make up game for some reason. I don't know why though. She seems to have a pretty decent routine down and it doesn't look like she is dealing with acne. Plus, the Maxwells don't seem to be the type to insist on heavy make up wearing. But, maybe the Bontragers don't think she is feminine enough and want her to up her game. After all, these wouldn't be the first set of fundie parents to heavily influence their married adult children lives. 

• Upvote 6

18 minutes ago, NancyDrewFan1989 said:

Chelsy did a dull update post on what is in her make up bag. In the post she stated that she didn't really care to wear make up growing up and was more of a tomboy. Furthermore, Becky gave Chelsy her first lip gloss at thirteen and mascara at sixteen, only to neve really use them because she could have cared less about wearing make up. So, to me, it sounds like Chelsy wasn't living up to Marlin and Becky's feminine standards and were trying to encourage force her to do so.

On top of that, she is asking for recommendations to up her make up game for some reason. I don't know why though. She seems to have a pretty decent routine down and it doesn't look like she is dealing with acne. Plus, the Maxwells don't seem to be the type to insist on heavy make up wearing. But, maybe the Bontragers don't think she is feminine enough and want her to up her game. After all, these wouldn't be the first set of fundie parents to heavily influence their married adult children lives. 

Becky likely didn’t grow up wearing heavy makeup. Becky and Marlin grew up very differently than their children. Becky probably had to learn as an adult and probably didn’t put a lot of emphasis on it with her Daughters when they were kids. 

• Upvote 4

On 10/21/2020 at 10:03 PM, SPHASH said:

Oh, dear. Terri and I use the same kind of clipboard. I use mine for crossword puzzles; it would be a little cumbersome at the store.  We also use the same brand (but not model) of purse. 

But I would never be caught wearing or owning that Bud Tugley skirt.  I've seen lovely floor-length skirts at Target and WalMart over the years. Probably a rayon and something blend, nice and flowy.  If you want to get super cringe-y, Terri probably wears long johns under the skirt when the weather cools down.  I feel weighed down just looking at that pic. 

If I could wish anything for Terri, it would be spontaneity, fun, joy  and not the soul-sucking drudgery and mind numbing tedium that is life in the Reversalist household borg.  

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Becky likely didn’t grow up wearing heavy makeup. Becky and Marlin grew up very differently than their children. Becky probably had to learn as an adult and probably didn’t put a lot of emphasis on it with her Daughters when they were kids. 

True, it’s just the way Chelsy wrote it. She talks about being a tomboy and having no real interest in make up only to have Becky buy her some. Then she didn’t wear it. It just read to me that they wanted Chelsy to be more feminine than she was at that age. 

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, NancyDrewFan1989 said:

True, it’s just the way Chelsy wrote it. She talks about being a tomboy and having no real interest in make up only to have Becky buy her some. Then she didn’t wear it. It just read to me that they wanted Chelsy to be more feminine than she was at that age. 

That wouldn’t surprise me. The Bontragers May have raised farmgirls, but they do push gender roles. So the makeup thing wouldn’t be surprising. The Bontragers decided Chelsy needed to be more girly just like they decided a few years ago that the adult kids needed to start getting married. And look at chelsy’s Makeup now. When the Bon parents decide something, their children do it.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 8

21 hours ago, NancyDrewFan1989 said:

Oh, she doesn't want recommendations; this was just a thinly-veiled Amazon affiliate post masquerading as actual content. CLICK THOSE LINKS, MAMAS!

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

Maybe she is. If John isn't bringing in much money and the maxhell funds are being used to support the OfChris family. 

In a normal world she could hire a SIL to babysit and get a job herself. But patriarchy, so she's reduced to blogging for pennies. 

• Upvote 5

My guess is that it isn't that John isn't bringing in adequate funds.  Since they own their own home and live in a low-cost of North America, my guess is they are doing okay.  

It is a badge of honour among fundie wives to identify creative ways to make money from home while being "full-time mamas" - hence things like MLM schemes, blogging, and so on.  For many fundie women this is the only discretionary money they have.

As someone who has always managed the money in our home I cannot imagine being so controlled that I had to ask my husband for money to  enjoy coffee with a girlfriend, purchase a gift or something for myself, and so on.  I have a friend who routinely hid the grocery receipts from her husband because he would critique every penny spent - they're divorced now.  I'm not saying John is this controlling (though his father is Steve-god), but having a bit of your own money might be the only form if independence and empowerment that many fundie wives have.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 2

2 hours ago, ophelia said:

Odd question maybe, but do you think Chelsy has her own bank account?

I wonder.

Interestingly I don't have my own bank account, and I consider myself a pretty progressive, independent woman.  Everything is joint in our marriage, except our Visas - we each have our own.  Both my husband and I work (these days, I stayed home with the kids for many years), entered our marriage with our own money and assets, and then combined accounts once married.  I actually own most larger assets (homes, cars) because my husband is self-employed and it makes sense to shelter assets in my name.

I wonder how money is managed and shared in fundie marriages (anyone with insight?).   I am assuming that the men own everything, have bank accounts in their name, and allocate certain money to their wives for groceries and household expenses.  I have always wondered how much discretion fundie wives have, or how weird it must be to marry, have no real money of your own, and then receive essentially an allowance from your spouse.

• Upvote 6

Interestingly, I can’t think of a single fundie-light marriage where the husband is in charge of the finances. It’s all wives.

(Obviously, I’m only speaking of my personal friends and less close acquaintances and I know this information because the topic has come up multiple times.)

ETA: I lied! I forgot one of my best friends! Her husband handles all of the finances and tells her how much money is available, but only because that’s how she likes it to be. 

Edited by JemimaPuddle-Duck
  • Upvote 2

I actually think most of the Maxwell second-generation wives are on the house deeds for their homes? It's been brought up before in the main Maxwell thread in relation to individual sons, although I don't remember who is/isn't.  Even if not on the deed, they'll have rights to the marital home in the case of any divorce or death, wouldn't they?

Finances is one topic that the Maxwells actually don't discuss much, other than the usual "buying a house debt-free" schtick.

• Upvote 4

On 10/28/2020 at 6:31 PM, Jigsaw3 said:

I actually think most of the Maxwell second-generation wives are on the house deeds for their homes? It's been brought up before in the main Maxwell thread in relation to individual sons, although I don't remember who is/isn't.  Even if not on the deed, they'll have rights to the marital home in the case of any divorce or death, wouldn't they?

Finances is one topic that the Maxwells actually don't discuss much, other than the usual "buying a house debt-free" schtick.

In Kansas, the home is considered a 'marital asset,' so even if a legally married spouse is not on the deed/title, they have an equal interest in the property, unless that interest has been waived with a legally binding contract ('pre-nup').

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 6

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic