IGNORED

Chelsy and John Maxwell 8: Killing Demons with a Salt Gun

HerNameIsBuffy

On 10/27/2020 at 9:52 AM, ophelia said:

Odd question maybe, but do you think Chelsy has her own bank account?

Yes.  The Bontrager girls always worked and made their own money.  I will bet anything that Chelsy is re-evaluating her life, even if she is keeping it to herself.  Happens to a lot of mothers after they have their second child.  That is when I started my own business as a matter of fact.  When a woman has her first baby, she's in heaven with her little blessing.  All her attention is focused on the child.  Then the second one comes along and it's hard at first, but then they settle into a routine.  And then reality hits.  Some women start to yearn for more in life, especially if they were used to making their own money before they had kids.  It starts out with little things like selling the kids clothes to the consignment shop.  Anything so they could have their own money.  I knew one woman who got into extreme couponing and kept the balance of the  weekly grocery money that her husband gave her just so she could have her own pocket money.  Her husband was cheap as could be and he was loaded.  But he wouldn't let her work.  Chelsy is used to making her own money and seems to be a go getter.  She's probably yearning for more in life.  

Edited by theologygeek
  • Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2

I use make up and "feminine" clothes. But I love how Teri dresses. Because first of all, she is modest, so no hipocrisy in that. And secondly, she is comfy. She's not young and has back issues: if she needs sandals with socks, go for it! Who cares? She wears long skirts because she's used to them and probably feels great. How many women dress unconfortable just because what others may think? (As she dressed very modest when she married, I doubt Steve forced it: I bet Teri was happy to adopt long skirts).

Maxwells have never encouraged make up, but the opposite. Long skirts, double layer T-shirts, comfy shoes... Their outfits hide the "sexy" part of women. 

About Chelsy: she wants to have a bunch of kids. Maybe her old clothes are not fitting well now after 2 kids, and she knows she won't have the time to lose weight/workout before next pregnancy, and the other one, and the other one etc. It' s normal she sells it. Why to keep clothes you can't use anymore? It's not for the money: selling old clothes is not a business, it's just pocket money she can use to buy bigger ones.

• Upvote 9

On 10/28/2020 at 5:19 AM, JemimaPuddle-Duck said:

Interestingly, I can’t think of a single fundie-light marriage where the husband is in charge of the finances. It’s all wives.

(Obviously, I’m only speaking of my personal friends and less close acquaintances and I know this information because the topic has come up multiple times.)

ETA: I lied! I forgot one of my best friends! Her husband handles all of the finances and tells her how much money is available, but only because that’s how she likes it to be. 

I would probably be considered "fundie-lite" by most here, but I think I'm mostly mainstream.  I've always been in charge of the finances, as have my mother & MIL. 

My mom went back to work (at a primary school) when my brother started school. Her checks were the "spending" money so we could have new clothes and be in extra-curricular activities.  She said she always felt guilty spending money when she wasn't "working".  Mom & dad have joint accounts & mom has her own account for her "spending money". 

DH & I have always joint accounts.  We had so little to begin with it made sense to put the two little bits together!  We bring home about the same amount and we don't have to ask permission to spend money.  We do discuss large purchases and I do tell him when I'm going to be shopping with the credit card, so he won't wonder why there is a larger balance.

I just think there should be respect between a couple and divide the responsibilities according to your preferences.   

• Upvote 15

My first marriage, everything was in his name, even though he didn't work, and I supported us.  He was going to college full time.  He divorced me after he got his degree because I expected it to be my turn to go to school and he would support us.  Nope, his new girlfriend moved in the day I moved out and he went on to get his master's while she supported them.

I got an apartment and when called to put utilities in my name, I had to pay ahead several hundred dollars for the electric, also for a phone, and water.  Even though I had a 4 year excellent payment record, he got the good credit and I started from scratch.  This marriage now is 40+ years strong, and while we have joint accounts, I have always kept some things in my name, like a car and car payment, have a separate checking account and VISA on an account in my name, just to keep my credit current.  I just feel safer this way.         

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 21

• 1 month later...

Chelsy posted on her blog. It’s Christmas pictures of her family. She is in jeans and a regular length long sleeve shirt. They look like a normal family. A0FD1DB0-5A8D-49AF-8A0E-84CFFA8EC192.thumb.jpeg.9832d2e605eeb4f0f21734f2df021492.jpeg

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 14

I'm calling it...Chelsy's pregnant.  Look how she has Elliott in front of her belly in all the pictures.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3
  • Bless Your Heart 1

How did Sarah manage to take those pictures without getting the vapors? Chelsy has pants on - jeans, no less. And one shirt with a sweater, neither meant to hide every curve of her body.

They look like an average young family. But, we all know looks are deceiving and we know where their values come from and how abhorrent their beliefs are. I wonder if they've started holding down Elliot's hands every time he tries to touch something yet? 

• Upvote 19

I think the pictures are lovely. The only exception is Chelsy's blush/highlighter. Girrrrrl, lose that highlight above the cheekbones under the eyes: it looks really odd.

Chelsy could be pregnant but I doubt it. It's more likely that she's settling into a more mature figure, given that she has two children and is an excellent and generous cook. I'm pleased to see the jeans and fitted shirt/sweater combo, as it implies to me that she's very comfortable with herself and is embracing the clothes she wants.

Chelsy and John will almost definitely continue both homeschooling and quiverfull, but I do hope they slide into a more conservative Christian viewpoint, leaving Steve and Marlin's extremism behind.

• Upvote 13

9 hours ago, SPHASH said:

I'm calling it...Chelsy's pregnant.  Look how she has Elliott in front of her belly in all the pictures.

My thoughts exactly when I looked at the pictures! It's also her face, the way it looks slightly - puffy?

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

Axton and Eliot are fourteen months apart, and Eliot is now six months old, so if she had the exact same spacing with her next she’d be a month into pregnancy now. Nothing about her appearance or bearing seems particularly telling to me, though. 

• Upvote 8

I don’t understand the thought that Chelsey is just a wonderful and generous cook. That idea was put out immediately during their honeymoon, when they had salad and some sort of sandwiches. Her family is motivated towards that end but I don’t know we’ve seen much from Chelsey. 

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, Dominionatrix said:

Axton and Eliot are fourteen months apart, and Eliot is now six months old, so if she had the exact same spacing with her next she’d be a month into pregnancy now. Nothing about her appearance or bearing seems particularly telling to me, though. 

No they aren't. Axton and Elliot are 17 months apart. Axton was born in January and Elliot in June. 

I think Chelsy could be pregnant. She wants a big family like her parents and she's almost 30. 

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

No they aren't. Axton and Elliot are 17 months apart. Axton was born in January and Elliot in June. 

I think Chelsy could be pregnant. She wants a big family like her parents and she's almost 30. 

Oops, you’re right! I’m tired. 

• Upvote 3

Chelsy's holding Elliot in one of the two possible ways they she could hold him: it's either the way she is holding him or on her shoulder.  He looks a little young for a hip carry unless she had him in a sling for extra support.  Was it relatively warm in Leavenworth on Christmas Day?  It's been really cold here in upstate SC.  Our birdbath has been frozen solid for three days or so.  

• Upvote 10

I think most people here have a feeling that the Bont's are one of the few families we snark about that seem to care about what they eat and I have to admit that there have been many times when I read a blog post about their menus that I got hungry ?

Eating good looking and healthy stuff might be the only good thing to say about them since it seems like they are getting even more fundie and more and more into conspiracy crap.

Chelsy looks lovely in that pictures. I like the shorter hair cut and I find her outfit really cute.

• Upvote 9

On 12/26/2020 at 12:47 PM, fundiefan said:

How did Sarah manage to take those pictures without getting the vapors? Chelsy has pants on - jeans, no less. And one shirt with a sweater, neither meant to hide every curve of her body.

I wonder if any of the Maxwells have put this Christmas card of their pants-wearing hussy inlaw up on their mantel.

Edited by HereticHick
  • Upvote 5
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 4

On 12/26/2020 at 11:34 AM, SPHASH said:

On 12/26/2020 at 9:17 PM, hollyandivy said:

My thoughts exactly when I looked at the pictures! It's also her face, the way it looks slightly - puffy?

It was exactly what I thought when I saw the pics. Given I was correct about both Chel's and Mel's last pregnancies in spite of disagreement on the board, I'm going to go ahead and agree.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 4

On 12/27/2020 at 12:31 AM, fundiewatch said:

I don’t understand the thought that Chelsey is just a wonderful and generous cook. That idea was put out immediately during their honeymoon, when they had salad and some sort of sandwiches. Her family is motivated towards that end but I don’t know we’ve seen much from Chelsey. 

From what I've seen, compared to the Maxwells, she does indeed offer more quantity and definitely more quality and variety of flavor.

• Upvote 7

• 3 weeks later...

Elliott looks like he's silently judging her current make up look.  Their hateful beliefs aside, Axton & Elliott are cute.  

• Upvote 4

It could be the lighting or badly blended blush but I think Chelsy has some discolouration high on her cheek bones. This is a classic location for melasma which can be exacerbated by pregnancy. So add me to the list of people who think she might be pregnant.

• Upvote 5

Chelsy has a new post up about Eliot's birth.  Apparently she had Braxton Hicks less than a week before Jesse's wedding but they subsided in time. And she put on her makeup during labor.

Edited by SPHASH
  • Upvote 9

"We took a the wedding road trip and hosted a big bridal shower and had multiple batches of company though, so we had plenty going on!"

All this while in her third trimester during COVID... smh.

• Upvote 12
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 8

It’s so strange how the births of Chelsy’s two sons are so similar to mine. Both our firsts took damn near forever to get out while our second was much faster and bigger than our first. We also surprised everyone with my second son’s birth because he came fast in the middle of the night. Everyone got a call early in the morning telling them the baby was already here. While everyone waited around forever for my first son. It really is strange to have two completely different births.

3 minutes ago, indianabones said:

"We took a the wedding road trip and hosted a big bridal shower and had multiple batches of company though, so we had plenty going on!"

All this while in her third trimester during COVID... smh.

I agree. They are idiots. But remember her dad and brothers were at the insurrection and her dad used the phrase “plandemic” at Allison’s wedding ceremony. I’m sure she thinks very similar to her parents when it comes to covid. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 7

So, I just read Chelsy's birth story. Not surprised by anything, but she gave advice for "keeping food down during labor", almost sounds like she ate food while she was in labor. I thought that when a woman is in labor she is not supposed to eat until after the baby is born. Or is not eating during labor something that is highly recommended? That section just caught me off guard. Just asking.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, NancyDrewFan1989 said:

So, I just read Chelsy's birth story. Not surprised by anything, but she gave advice for "keeping food down during labor", almost sounds like she ate food while she was in labor. I thought that when a woman is in labor she is not supposed to eat until after the baby is born. Or is not eating during labor something that is highly recommended? That section just caught me off guard. Just asking.

She had a home birth so she could eat whatever she wanted. In a hospital they won't let people in labor eat in case the patient needs surgery. 

• Upvote 7

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic