IGNORED

Where in the World is Doug Phillips (Who is a Tool)? Part 11

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, Laura2730 said:

Random question- has anyone got photos of Noelle Wheeler Goforth's wedding?

Think all of that has long since been scrubbed since it doesn't quite fit with her current career

757402212_NoelleGoforth.thumb.jpg.edc96f4ac8989a6989a40719be5644fa.jpg

There used to be a YouTube video of the entire wedding, complete with some bizarre sword ceremony and featuring Doug Phillips as a co-officiant with her father, Richard "Little Bear" Wheeler.

ETA: @Howl beat me to it in posting Noelle's latest!

• Thank You 5

1 hour ago, hoipolloi said:

Think all of that has long since been scrubbed since it doesn't quite fit with her current career

757402212_NoelleGoforth.thumb.jpg.edc96f4ac8989a6989a40719be5644fa.jpg

There used to be a YouTube video of the entire wedding, complete with some bizarre sword ceremony and featuring Doug Phillips as a co-officiant with her father, Richard "Little Bear" Wheeler.

ETA: @Howl beat me to it in posting Noelle's latest!

Is that Noelle in the photo of the VF catalog that I posted?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Laura2730 said:

Is that Noelle in the photo of the VF catalog that I posted?

Could be. Can't tell for sure.

• I Agree 1

I'm fairly sure that's Noelle. IIRC, she was the face of the "Beautiful Girlhood" collection for at least a few years, before being replaced by Lourdes Torres (in similar tableau, featuring the Phillips girls gazing up adoringly).

I haven't had any luck finding wedding pics.

The old Vision Forum page is archived, but the photos are not (other than one small thumbnail):

https://web.archive.org/web/20030803093528/http://visionforum.com/sp/sc/010719wedding.asp

https://web.archive.org/web/20101204042359/http://www.beforethekiss.com/testimony files/Joshua Noelle Goforth.html

And for shits and giggles:

https://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/09/us/new-christian-take-on-the-old-dating-ritual.html

Joshua Goforth, a 22-year-old graphic artist in San Antonio who was schooled by his parents at home, said he observed his friends' habits and concluded early on that ''dating is preparation for divorce.''

He explained: ''You're winning a girl's heart, being emotionally or physically involved with her, and then when you're tired of it you just break it off and go to the next girl.''

He noticed Noelle Wheeler, who is 24, at a home-schooling conference, and the two later found themselves working together intensively on a book project for a Christian publisher. Last November, he took Ms. Wheeler's father, Richard, out to breakfast at the local International House of Pancakes and nervously asked him for permission to begin to court his daughter. Mr. Wheeler said yes.

''I knew if I could trust his character then it would make a good marriage,'' said Mr. Wheeler, an evangelist who travels the country portraying Christian heroes in American history. ''Because a marriage is built not on love, but on someone who has the character to withstand the storms that marriage brings, the arguments and the disagreements.''

At their wedding in June, after saying ''I do,'' the couple say they kissed for the first time in their lives. The kiss was celebrated by their church community as a triumph of Christian courtship.

At least no one had to roll under any fences...

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 7
  • Thank You 4

On 1/9/2020 at 2:58 PM, Insertwittiernamehere said:

I haven't really been following what seems to be the disintegration of their marriage so forgive me if this is a stupid question, in her insta post when she states that she is rich, does she mean financially rich and so doesn't really need the tool around and so is just ignoring the fact he seems to have left her, or is she implying that the work that she has put into presenting her family as a united front means that she is pretending she is rich in love and is in total denial that he seems to have left her??

I assume she just means "rich in love", blessed with having her children and grandchild, etc.

I can't imagine she would be doing elder care, or cramming 6 or 7 (depending on whether or not Doug actually lives there) people into that apartment if they were better off financially.

I tend to doubt that Beall is truly in that much denial over her marriage, at least at this point, but for whatever reason, she's all in on maintaining a public facade.

• I Agree 4

39 minutes ago, AnnaSofia said:

I assume she just means "rich in love", blessed with having her children and grandchild, etc.

Ah, thanks. That's kinda what I thought she meant, but it was just confusingly expressed.

I've only been skim reading the Doug threads so I hadn't realised that she was doing elder care jobs.

• Upvote 1

Nope, no delicate maidens of virtue under their father's chivalrous  protection here. Wherever would you have gotten an idea like that?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 6
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, AnnaSofia said:

Nope, no delicate maidens of virtue under their father's chivalrous  protection here.

From Doug's Blog -- remember this gem, Beall? 

364176601_SendingDaughtersAway.thumb.png.083bf07c193995ff714e9d7d6c33b116.pngTestimonial.png

Edited by hoipolloi
Adding more of Doug's shite
  • Disgust 6
  • Thank You 8
  • Love 2

One drives 40,000 miles across the country every year.

Truck driver?  

Edited by Howl
  • Love 1

@hoipolloi I was looking for that last night, and my Internet-Fu failed me.

I bow down  :worship:

Ironic that the blog entry makes a point of demonstrating how "even Bible school isn't safe!!!11!!". You know, that place where one of Doug's daughters is right now :pb_rollseyes:

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, AnnaSofia said:

@hoipolloi I was looking for that last night, and my Internet-Fu failed me.

@AnnaSofia - That particular item is part of my cyber-stash of VF stuff. I managed to save a number of things from Doug's Blog  & elsewhere (e.g., VF Ministries) before they went offline.

Even though I didn't get it all, there's almost always a VF/Dougie quote for any occasion -- like tRump's Twitter timeline.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

I remember DPIARBT’s gushing posts about a “young lady homeschool graduate” who turned out to be Lourdes. He once mused about making a “documentary” about, if I recall correctly, exploring the past or outer space or some damn thing, with a cast that would include a “scientist” and a “young lady”—translation: Not A Real Documentary.

Meanwhile, he was grooming her and doing everything short of penetrative PIV to her.

I love seeing Lourdes on social media living her best life!

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

On 1/11/2020 at 6:25 PM, Howl said:

Here's a November 2019  profile: ARTIST OF THE MONTH: NOELLE GOFORTH

She and her husband still live in Boerne, TX. 

From the linked article: "Amongst musicians, many are notorious for flying by the seat of their pants when it comes to “performance preparation,” so it’s always refreshing to hear about the process of talented musicians that take such pride in their craft like Noelle does. The fact that she started taking that kind of initiative at such a young age makes it even more impressive."

This is so very irritating. Amongst [sic] REAL musicians, nobody flies by the seat of their pants with regard to "performance preparation." That's what personal practice and rehearsals are for. And that Noelle Goforth "started taking that kind of initiative at such a young age makes it even more impressive," oh please. She started piano lessons at 12--that's not young for a serious musician; that's practically geriatric. And who else may have started taking "that kind of initiative" at "such a young age?" Oh, I don't know, maybe countless classical musicians who have been practicing hours a day since childhood? Color me not impressed.

Sorry, off-topic rant over now.

Editing to add that I know she does jazz, not classical, but a real jazz musician works just as hard and has put in as many hours as a real classical musician.

Edited by VVV
  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 1

21 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

From Doug's Blog -- remember this gem, Beall? 

364176601_SendingDaughtersAway.thumb.png.083bf07c193995ff714e9d7d6c33b116.pngTestimonial.png

Why on earth are they so confident that no woman can be assaulted while in her father's house? Numerous women have stories that prove that's not true.

Why, I even once heard a story of a young woman being sexually assaulted in her father's house because the creepy guy she nannied for would crawl in her window at night...

• Upvote 14
  • Haha 1
  • Love 5

My parents tried to scare me away from the world by saying they knew of women who lived on their own and were assaulted.  At the same time, I knew girls assaulted under their family roofs (not my parents' roof or other family as far as I know).

My mother in particular thought I was just incredibly stupid for living alone and not fearing assault.  She lived alone when single.  I don't know if anything happened to her.  I know she saw the aftermath of a murder scene in a large city.  I later lived in that same city and never saw anything like that.  Maybe the world is just safer than it used to be.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, raspberrymint said:

My parents tried to scare me away from the world by saying they knew of women who lived on their own and were assaulted.  At the same time, I knew girls assaulted under their family roofs (not my parents' roof or other family as far as I know).

My mother in particular thought I was just incredibly stupid for living alone and not fearing assault.  She lived alone when single.  I don't know if anything happened to her.  I know she saw the aftermath of a murder scene in a large city.  I later lived in that same city and never saw anything like that.  Maybe the world is just safer than it used to be.  

If you look at stats, it is. Violent crime seemed to peak in the late 80s early 90s. And it’s slowly gone down since then. People just think the world is more dangerous now because of the constant 24 hour news and internet spreading every single story of violence. It seems like the US is more violent but it’s not. That’s just the perception, not the actual stats. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4

11 hours ago, VVV said:

From the linked article: "Amongst musicians, many are notorious for flying by the seat of their pants when it comes to “performance preparation,” so it’s always refreshing to hear about the process of talented musicians that take such pride in their craft like Noelle does. The fact that she started taking that kind of initiative at such a young age makes it even more impressive."

This is so very irritating. Amongst [sic] REAL musicians, nobody flies by the seat of their pants with regard to "performance preparation." That's what personal practice and rehearsals are for. And that Noelle Goforth "started taking that kind of initiative at such a young age makes it even more impressive," oh please. She started piano lessons at 12--that's not young for a serious musician; that's practically geriatric. And who else may have started taking "that kind of initiative" at "such a young age?" Oh, I don't know, maybe countless classical musicians who have been practicing hours a day since childhood? Color me not impressed.

Sorry, off-topic rant over now.

Editing to add that I know she does jazz, not classical, but a real jazz musician works just as hard and has put in as many hours as a real classical musician.

Mother Of Alternative Americana Etc. Musician here and appreciating your words muchly.  

Dumbarses - like the guy who wrote Noelle’s praises by “contrasting” her with “seat of the pants” musicians - don’t realize is that everything is so well practiced, especially the “seat of the  pants” parts.

Someone extremely famous wrote of how his mentor bought him tickets two nights in a row for the same Rat Pack lounge act in Vegas, back when. The youngster was astonished to learn that the off-the-cuff improvisation that seemed to start with a miscue by one of the  performers was anything but serendipitous. 

Each and every audience left thinking that they alone had seen the guys improvise and cut up after an entirely accidental goof. Their informality is practiced so well.

TL, DR: To the swaggering, arrogant, better-than-you VF-relic people? — Shut. Up. 

• Upvote 13

4 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

Mother Of Alternative Americana Etc. Musician here and appreciating your words muchly.  

Dumbarses - like the guy who wrote Noelle’s praises by “contrasting” her with “seat of the pants” musicians - don’t realize is that everything is so well practiced, especially the “seat of the  pants” parts.

Someone extremely famous wrote of how his mentor bought him tickets two nights in a row for the same Rat Pack lounge act in Vegas, back when. The youngster was astonished to learn that the off-the-cuff improvisation that seemed to start with a miscue by one of the  performers was anything but serendipitous. 

Each and every audience left thinking that they alone had seen the guys improvise and cut up after an entirely accidental goof. Their informality is practiced so well.

TL, DR: To the swaggering, arrogant, better-than-you VF-relic people? — Shut. Up. 

I have mixed feelings about this kind of statement - professional musicians often do really "seat of your pants" performances, even at high levels. This is usually because everyone's schedules are so tight that you simply can't schedule many rehearsals.

Case in point - at my last high-profile concert we had two rehearsals, only one of which had everyone together, because musicians were coming in from all over the world. And it went great! Which leads me to the other half of my mixed feelings...

It went great because nearly everyone involved is a world-class musician and either played the symphony previously (often multiple times) or is good/professional enough to recognize where personal work needs to be done beforehand.**

So yes, we often do throw together performances after minimal to no prior practice. But it's because we put in a lot of work throughout our lives and have the experience to know what we can do "by the seat of our pants" and what we can't. Equally there are performances where you rehearse for months beforehand. (I say as I go off to a rehearsal...) This is all to say that I don't think any true musician should get extra credit for doing the bare minimum, that is, knowing to what extent you personally should prepare for a show.

**There is also a weird bravado in the classical music world, at least, where you feel like you get respect/credit for saying "oh I barely glanced at the music until the night before the show" and other such nonsense. I usually don't believe people when they say this.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Eponine said:

I have mixed feelings about this kind of statement - professional musicians often do really "seat of your pants" performances, even at high levels. This is usually because everyone's schedules are so tight that you simply can't schedule many rehearsals.

**There is also a weird bravado in the classical music world, at least, where you feel like you get respect/credit for saying "oh I barely glanced at the music until the night before the show" and other such nonsense. I usually don't believe people when they say this.

A performance with few rehearsals is not seat of the pants if people come in either knowing their parts or as such experienced professionals that they can play well with little preparation. In both instances, an awful lot of work has been done in advance.

I have to wonder about what part of the classical music world you inhabit where people get respect for showing up unprepared. In my world, it's not a good thing to admit to being unprepared. It is looked down on as laziness or unprofessional behavior. I have actually heard a colleague use the word "stealing" for people who don't practice their parts adequately in advance, in the sense that they are stealing time from their colleagues by using rehearsal time to fix their own mistakes.

This is not to say it doesn't happen on occasion, just that it certainly isn't admitted to without incurring disapproval. 

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, VVV said:

I have to wonder about what part of the classical music world you inhabit where people get respect for showing up unprepared. In my world, it's not a good thing to admit to being unprepared. It is looked down on as laziness or unprofessional behavior. I have actually heard a colleague use the word "stealing" for people who don't practice their parts adequately in advance, in the sense that they are stealing time from their colleagues by using rehearsal time to fix their own mistakes.

Yeah, that's exactly why it's nonsense - they're not unprepared, and the mistakes in rehearsal don't happen. Otherwise they wouldn't be in the ensemble. They do practice, just for whatever reason want to seem like they don't. I truly don't know what the point of that kind of behavior is, but it always comes from people who think they're God's gift to music. (Mostly men, anecdotally.)

I completely agree with the "stealing" - there is nothing more frustrating than wasting rehearsal time on individual issues.

• Upvote 5

8 hours ago, Eponine said:

Case in point - at my last high-profile concert we had two rehearsals, only one of which had everyone together, because musicians were coming in from all over the world. And it went great! Which leads me to the other half of my mixed feelings...

It went great because nearly everyone involved is a world-class musician and either played the symphony previously (often multiple times) or is good/professional enough to recognize where personal work needs to be done beforehand.**

So yes, we often do throw together performances after minimal to no prior practice. But it's because we put in a lot of work throughout our lives and have the experience to know what we can do "by the seat of our pants" and what we can't. Equally there are performances where you rehearse for months beforehand. (I say as I go off to a rehearsal...) This is all to say that I don't think any true musician should get extra credit for doing the bare minimum, that is, knowing to what extent you personally should prepare for a show.

I don’t think we’re in great disagreement. Just semantics. I understood the VF veteran to mean “total improvisation, like those jazz types with their free wheeling and sinful disregard of The Rumes!”, not “we haven’t rehearsed together but we know our parts, so we’ll be okay.” 

The whole thing does bring to mind Twoset Violin and their Ling-Ling 40 Hours Practice, though. I love those guys! 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

This whole “we can instantaneously pop out perfection!” attitude is the reason why my music-teacher daughter refused to watch “Glee.” She said that the idea that people could summon up perfect, unrehearsed production numbers out of the blue irked her.

• Upvote 4

I'm sorry, I have no where else to put this.  Apparently this is Amazon's customer service email template that was accidentally released into the wild.

v05ihgh1n4b41.jpg

All I could think of while reading the last paragraph was, "Moar Cellos!!!"

Sorry. I'll crawl back in my hole now.

ETA:  After reading some comments about it, it's likely NOT an internal Amazon anything but rather, a fake, a forgery, an internet hoax -- but so is DPIART so...

Edited by Maxwell
Gloom, despair & agony on me...
  • Haha 7

On 1/14/2020 at 11:57 AM, hoipolloi said:

@AnnaSofia - That particular item is part of my cyber-stash of VF stuff. I managed to save a number of things from Doug's Blog  & elsewhere (e.g., VF Ministries) before they went offline.

Even though I didn't get it all, there's almost always a VF/Dougie quote for any occasion -- like tRump's Twitter timeline.

A lot of Doug's old blog posts are in the Internet Archive, but they're tricky to track down without a URL, and I had no luck with that one.

It turned out to be even more on the nose than I remembered!

• Upvote 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic