IGNORED

Where in the World is Doug Phillips (Who is a Tool)? Part 11

Coconut Flan

6 hours ago, Bassett Lady said:

That Doug ever had a following baffles me. That he and his University trained wife extolled metaphorically chaining their daughters in the house infuriates me. Doug and Beall  set out to purposefully hinder their own children, limit their options, and make money off of the backs of others who were encouraged to educationally abuse their kids.  

All of this. I have never understood the VF parents who had the benefit of education beyond HS, particularly college, and yet denied the same to their children. It's not that a person can't succeed or isn't a good or educated person without further schooling -- it's the complete blocking of any other choices for their children. Who willingly does this to their children? 

1 hour ago, AnglicanSnufkin said:

No VF royalty daughter would be seen dead working at a salon or florist's, at least not unless things were really at rock bottom.

She would if it were Daddy's salon or flower shop. Granted, we probably wouldn't see her sweeping up cut hair, cleaning the toilets, or unloading florists' vans -- being on view while doing Daddy's "accounting" or decorating the shop window would be more in line with VF royal status. 

• Upvote 9

2 hours ago, AnglicanSnufkin said:

I think it is dangerous (and classist, and ableist etc) to equate not having been to college with being ignorant and uninformed.

I never said that a lack of college is equivalent to being ignorant. You have assumed an intent not stated nor intended. However, I still stand by the evaluation that Jim Bob is ignorant and uninformed. 

I stated he does not have, nor value,  higher education. Higher education absolutely includes trade school. A quick check of my Brittanica dictionary agrees that it includes university, technical schools, and trade schools.   My brother, a welder, is very well trained and exceedingly well paid. 

I have paid handsomely to have an Amish Woodworker do high caliber work in my home. While that young man did not have a degree, he had years of focused and arduous apprenticeship.That type of focused and directed training has been conspicuously absent from the Duggar homeschooling 

Point of Clarification, Doug is educated. He holds a doctorate. That education, and formal credentials,  opened up his opportunity to work for the HSLDF which provided him with the mailing list (which he stole) that formed the seed of his catalog business. He parlayed his education into access,  and information, and an empire of abuse and oppression. 

He has directly benefited from a formal education which he has then denied all of his daughters and hampered for his sons.. (Note: I didn’t say that such an education is the only variety worth having.) He championed limiting education and opportunities, which thousands of people implemented. He is a hypocrite, and for that he has my disdain. 

“Please, forgive any lack of eloquence.” Well, there was certainly no lack of eloquence. You are quite clear and beautifully stated. 

English is not my mother tongue, and I always worry that I will say something unintentionally funny or wrong. I live in the U.S. and I regularly cause a round of giggles in my children when I mess up the finer points of American culture. 

Today I was trying to ask for help finding jeans, here on FJ,  and people were asking for clarifications of what I meant and I didn’t quite know how to answer. I resorted to pictures and google to assist my efforts. 

Learning is a lifelong process. It can certainly be autodidactic, but it must be nurtured and respected. 

My English was acquired, outside of a few years of training, via reading novels and using a dictionary. Along the way I have collected a rather eclectic vocabulary according to my very American husband.

The archaic definition of horny means rough and dry, resembling the material that makes up horns. It causes uncontrollable laughter when you announce, after church, in the courtyard, that you need to add hand cream to the grocery list because your hands are horny. I meant that my hands were dry and rough, I accidentally announced my hands were sexually excited. My husband was laughing so hard it was difficult to get him back into a condition safe to drive a car. 

I am well educated in several areas but still learning many many more. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 9

On 10/20/2020 at 7:11 PM, Bassett Lady said:

Doug is educated. He holds a doctorate.

No, he does not hold a doctorate. Not unless you consider a law degree to be a "doctorate," which no one does.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

On 10/20/2020 at 4:51 PM, hoipolloi said:

She would if it were Daddy's salon or flower shop. Granted, we probably wouldn't see her sweeping up cut hair, cleaning the toilets, or unloading florists' vans -- being on view while doing Daddy's "accounting" or decorating the shop window would be more in line with VF royal status. 

And now Beale is a home health care aide, which is decent and honorable work.  

But it would have been beyond the pale during VF days for a WIFE TO BE WORKING OUTSIDE THE HOME, outside the supervision of the patriarch. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

3 hours ago, Howl said:

But it would have been beyond the pale during VF days for a WIFE TO BE WORKING OUTSIDE THE HOME, outside the supervision of the patriarch. 

Yes, please consider Doug's remarks, drawn from his keynote address entitled "Manliness," delivered to the Tenth Anniversary Celebration Dinner of the Christian Boys’ and Men’s Titanic Society in April 2006:

We live at a time of tremendous unmanliness. It is unmanly to send women to war. It is unmanly to view children as a burden, rather than a reward. It is unmanly to force our wives to exchange industrious, productive domesticity (e.g. Titus 2 and Proverbs 31) for independent careerism. It is unmanly to leave our daughters unprotected and uncovered before the world. It is unmanly for the fathers of this generation to surrender leadership at home, in the church, and in the gates of the land to the mothers of this generation. It is unmanly for men to be more concerned about their “needs” than their responsibilities. The list goes on.

Doug and Beall -- what say you now?

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic