IGNORED

Where in the World is Doug Phillips (Who is a Tool)? Part 11

Coconut Flan

13 hours ago, Hane said:

The child care crisis has me worried, too. In many areas, though, school systems have organized meal drop-off stations for families with children dependent on school breakfasts and lunches.

In my city they are offering free breakfast and lunch to all kids k-12-in school district or not. ??? All they have to do us select online the night before and come by to pick up. I’m in WA state where schools are mandated to close through mid April.

Schools are also organizing child care with priority for medical personnel and first responders. But boys and girls clubs and libraries are also stepping up with drop off child care. 

It’s heartening to see.

Edited by neuroticcat
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 4

On 3/12/2020 at 1:49 PM, hoipolloi said:

Otherwise, the rest of the adult kids seem to be in service jobs of some kind

Service jobs are real jobs ?

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

22 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

I think you must mean Justice.  He's the one who went fishing in AK, has a motorbike and flirted with an MLM.  Did Justice break up with his girlfriend (Kelsie?)  when I wasn't watching?

Yes, thanks for the clarification.  I think there was a breakup but I don't follow him apart from this thread; others may be more in the know. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, ladyamylynn said:

Service jobs are real jobs ?

Never said they weren't.

They are at once the backbone of the economy and the most vulnerable to cuts & closures.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, hoipolloi said:

Never said they weren't.

They are at once the backbone of the economy and the most vulnerable to cuts & closures.

You said "The only one of the adult children who seems to have a real job, presumably with benefits, is JTits"

Miss me with that classist bullshit.

Edited by ladyamylynn
  • Upvote 5
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, ladyamylynn said:

You said "The only one of the adult children who seems to have a real job, presumably with benefits, is JTits"

Actually I agree that @hoipolloi did not write that well.  Actually badly.  It was one of her very, very, rare mistakes.  You should know that and give Hoipolloi the benefit of the doubt.  She is good people.

Of course service jobs are real jobs.  But there is a difference between a part-time waitress at Starbucks (or some yogurt franchise) with a trust fund, and a full-time worker in a service job depending on their job to survive.  Faith, and other Phillipses, may be in that survival bracket.  Or they may be dilettantes with trust funds.

Arguably, the people who are being hardest hit by this crisis are those who work pay-check to pay-check in VERY REAL service jobs.  Especially those who are part-time and don't have the protections of benefits or unions.  Those who are being laid-off as restaurants are less frequented because people are self-isolating and the tourist trade goes bust.  And the hotel workers, the dog walkers, the cleaners ... the list goes on.

And chefs (even fully qualified ones with "real jobs" and benefits,  possibly like you) are  going to be horribly affected too.   It is a luxury to eat out.  It is a risk (at the moment) to go to a restaurant.  I feel for you.

Please stay safe, everyone.   Consider the impact on the whole community too.  And do what you can (if you can) to ensure those without benefits and sick leave who are in service jobs have enough to live on.

Edited by Palimpsest
  • Upvote 14

On 3/14/2020 at 3:36 PM, Flyinthesoup said:

It was either before or after tool-o-ween.

Well, that certainly narrows it down... ?  

• Haha 10

3 hours ago, ladyamylynn said:

Consider yourself missed. My apologies for what *was* badly phrased. You are right and I was wrong.

51 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Arguably, the people who are being hardest hit by this crisis are those who work pay-check to pay-check in VERY REAL service jobs.  Especially those who are part-time and don't have the protections of benefits or unions.  Those who are being laid-off as restaurants are less frequented because people are self-isolating and the tourist trade goes bust.  And the hotel workers, the dog walkers, the cleaners ... the list goes on.

This is what I'm already seeing, living in an area of the US where tourism is important. Even where there is union protection, it's bad and it's going to get worse, never mind the medical crisis that is coming. By June, let alone by November, the US is going to be a very different country.

Edited by hoipolloi
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

15 hours ago, Maxwell said:

Well, that certainly narrows it down... ?  

Oops...hahahaha.....that should have read, "right before or just after...."  thanks for catching that! 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3

19 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

But there is a difference between a part-time waitress at Starbucks (or some yogurt franchise) with a trust fund, and a full-time worker in a service job depending on their job to survive.  Faith, and other Phillipses, may be in that survival bracket.  Or they may be dilettantes with trust funds.

I think it's safe to assume that Faith, who regularly sells plasma, doesn't have a trust fund.  And even if she did, it still doesn't mean that her yogurt shop job is worthy of denigration. 

FJ is a funny bunch,  after years of repeating "oh these fundies need jobs" it's implied that they are somehow lesser for taking an honest service job. It's not like a homeschooled kid is going straight into law school.  Ask me how I know.

Platitudes about how hard the restaurant industry is being hit are all well and good, but it's these kinds of attitudes towards service jobs that have so many of us in such precarious financial positions in the first place. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

I spent the better part of a couple of decades in service jobs, and while "real job" was very poorly phrased, I don't think the intent was to say it's not actual work, or that the jobs don't have value. I know I've referenced Beall doing elder care a number of times, and if I sound dismissive of it, I apologize. I give Beall all the credit in the world for stepping up and getting an actual job, as opposed to whatever the fuck Doug has (or hasn't) been doing, *especially* one like that, because I know I couldn't do it. I tried. All I can say is that I ran screaming to a waitress job after less than a year doing elder care, it WRUNG ME OUT emotionally.

As far as COVID-19 goes, I did wonder about the Phillips household, largely because they, the kids especially, have jobs and lifestyles (i.e. a lot of travel) that give them a high likelihood of exposure, and Beall works with the most statistically vulnerable population. With so many people in that apartment, there's no real chance of truly self-isolating, and you can pass the virus for days before becoming visibly sick, or while asymptomatic.

I'm actually not sure if Faith is still working as a waitress. She mentioned in an IG story about a month or so ago that it was her last day at the place she'd been working (sounded more like a breakfast restaurant than a Starbucks, but that's just a guess), which she seemed happy about. Shortly after, she posted another story that showed her deep-scrubbing a bathroom, followed by a one in the car, talking about what her hair looked like after spending 8 hours cleaning. I don't know if that's what she's doing for work now, or if it was just a one-off thing. I think she spent the past couple of weeks in Tennessee, and then went to Florida to see Jubilee after the Bataan Memorial Death March (which she was supposed to do with Liberty) was cancelled.

Edited by AnnaSofia
  • Upvote 5

I think it's time to step back and remember where things were a few short years ago when the Phillipses lived in a bubble of privilege and financial well being. They were elites in their world.  Beall and the daughters would never, ever work outside the home or go anywhere alone because they would be out from under the patriarch's umbrella of protection. 

The daughter's were to be submissive SAHDs until the right patriarch in training arrived, who would marry a formerly unkissed chaste bride, impregnate her on the honeymoon or soon after there would be a new kid every 18 months or so. 

The boys were to be patriarchs in training, and court (no touch!) somebody's chaste and formerly unkissed submissive SAHD and father tons of kids.  

There was assistance for house cleaning and childcare for Beall.  There were manly adventures for the boys and men.  There was an income machine in the form of VF, Inc. 

I think it's good to take a trip down memory lane and recall how utterly insane those beliefs were and how the Phillips family was so incredibly deep into that life. 

Then compare that  to how things are now. Only one kid married.  Beall and all the daughters but the youngest are out in the world working here and there.  Doug seemingly in the wind and Beall is the breadwinner, as far as we know. 

A family of 8 kids with two college-educated parents, one with a law degree and only one kid who has graduated and another underway at Spanky U.  What is the future for all those kids?  I think J Tits will do fine.  He married into the Ligonier fortune, has a legit advanced degree and a Ligonier adjacent job with benefits, so he's good to go. 

And not one word from any of them about how this change came about and how it's affected them all.  

8 hours ago, AnnaSofia said:

I give Beall all the credit in the world for stepping up and getting an actual job, as opposed to whatever the fuck Doug has (or hasn't) been doing,

I too give Beall huge props for picking herself up and going to work.  Whatever her relationship to Doug, she loves her children without reservation and I think this is what keeps her going.  The kids seem to have a warm and close relationship with their mother and each other, and they are each other's support system. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3

5 hours ago, Howl said:

And not one word from any of them about how this change came about and how it's affected them all.  

I would love to know,  but the kids don't owe anyone an explanation.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ladyamylynn said:

I would love to know,  but the kids don't owe anyone an explanation. 

Agree 100%.  But their parents, who foisted this shit on the world and damaged the lives of many people, certainly do.  The lives of so many girls and young women were stunted by this idiotic crap, especially the expectation that they would bear as many children as their bodies could handle. 

• Upvote 10
  • Love 1

18 hours ago, Howl said:

Agree 100%.  But their parents, who foisted this shit on the world and damaged the lives of many people, certainly do.  The lives of so many girls and young women were stunted by this idiotic crap, especially the expectation that they would bear as many children as their bodies could handle. 

I’m not first-hand familiar with the dust-up over service-sector jobs, but want to contribute my two humble opinions. 

1) Howl says it well. Were Beall & Doug’s previous con not affecting their EIGHT children's well-being, at this point the over-18’s might all be employed in more remunerative jobs that offer at least the illusion of promotion, plus benefits like health care insurance and 401-k (or the like).

It’s in that aspect that I find the service jobs below par. Service jobs in and of themselves are noble and some employers (and a few unions) provide good benefits.  For the Phillips virginal maidens, they are a symbol of “what could’ve been,” were the girls (and boys) not born to a crook. 

1-a) Re: JTits with the wiiide smile and the Sproul heiress-wife. It’s said that “Women who marry for money, earn it.”  I imagine the same might be true of men. Make sure that smile is sincere, Bucky.

2) Since FJ’s Yuku days, @hoipolloi   has been a cyber-friend of mine. I attest to her decency, sense of humor and overall gentleness to those who are the collateral damage to VF’s bullsheet, alongside crushing criticism of the VF perps.

Thus, along  with victims & perps across the spectrum of patriarchal, anti-Christian schemes. She’s good people. 

• Upvote 9

3 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

It’s in that aspect that I find the service jobs below par. Service jobs in and of themselves are noble and some employers (and a few unions) provide good benefits.  For the Phillips virginal maidens, they are a symbol of “what could’ve been,”

So you're seriously positing that a service job is less desirable than being married off to some junior patriarch? Please tell me I'm misreading you.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, ladyamylynn said:

So you're seriously positing that a service job is less desirable than being married off to some junior patriarch? Please tell me I'm misreading you.

Are you ever! ?

2 hours ago, Howl said:

You're misreading her. 

Thanks, @Howl

• Upvote 4

Ok, so it's a symbol of what could have been because you feel that working service jobs is beneath them? Or what exactly are you trying to say, your post is difficult to parse.

Edited by ladyamylynn
  • Upvote 1

One of the reasons that I took a trip down memory lane about the Phillipses life was to emphasize that they were elites in the VF world.  Beall was to serve Doug, and the girls were to serve their father as well.  Perhaps something genteel, like taking a basket of food to a lesser family, would have been an acceptable activity for the daughters. 

For Beall and the girls, working a service job outside the home, would have been, literally, unthinkable.   There was no expectation that any daughter or wife would EVER have a job outside the home, so nothing was done to prepare them for the world of work.  So there they are.  Beall is 50 years old, at a point in her life when many women are peaking in their careers and well on the way to a good retirement.  She still has kids at home and she's barely scraping along -- certainly not the narrative arc that she expected. 

What any of us thinks of service work is not the point.  What IS the point is what the Phillips' family expectations and beliefs were then relative to the reality of their current lives. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 4

On 3/17/2020 at 7:06 PM, Howl said:

The lives of so many girls and young women were stunted by this idiotic crap, especially the expectation that they would bear as many children as their bodies could handle. 

..... bear as many children as possible until their bodies give out  as their bodies could handle.  Fixed that

Fundies have always had this nostalgic affection/ longing for the selfless mother dying in childbirth concept. So very Victorian of them. Hence the emphasis on having child after child after child... with no thought about risks to mother's physical and mental health.

Let's all remember Kelly Bradrick who nearly died having children. Lisa Metzger who has 13 children (some adopted), numerous(!!!) miscarriages, is pregnant again, and on complete bed rest.

Teri Maxwell who had more children than she could mentally cope with.

There are so many more examples of fundie women endangering their lives to birth soldiers for the patriarchy.

Edited by Red Hair, Black Dress
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

..... bear as many children as possible until their bodies give out  as their bodies could handle.  Fixed that

And they lose their teeth.  Jaynee Lockwood (many of y'all may remember her) had 11 or 12 kids and had all of her teeth removed a few years ago.  I can't remember if she had a horrible childbirth complication with the last kid or what, but she lost the ability to bear children. Otherwise, she's have popped out three or four more.  She updated the blog on Thanksgiving and there is another previous post with a fair amount of info. https://lockwoodfamily.blogspot.com/

Nicole Naugler had some major dental issues/lost all of her teeth this past year(?).  Her last child was stillborn, I think.  I'm always fuzzy on details, but fj-ers with institutional memory, chime in! 

Endless years of pregnancy and nursing take a toll and I suspect, especially in Nicole's case, that her nutrition is generally terrible and she had little to no prenatal support for later pregnancies.  Supposedly she and Joe aren't having sex, and she has not announced another pregnancy. 

These are women in their 40s; Jaynee Lockwood is 46.  No woman in her 40s should be losing her teeth under normal circumstances. 

Happily a few young women, like Jasmine Beauchamp, aren't mindlessly cranking out kids. I find is fascinating that none of the Phillips daughters have married, or even mentioned dating/courting.

• Upvote 8
  • WTF 1

I will say this for the Phillips kids, they seem to be resilient. They're all carving out paths for themselves, be them traditional or not, they're doing it. They are actually demonstrating a shocking amount of independence given the situation. Hats off to them.

I agree they owe no one any explanations. They are huge victims in this too. If my Father did to my Mother, my family and everyone else what Doug Phillips did, I would never speak his name publicly either.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

On 3/20/2020 at 1:18 PM, Howl said:

And they lose their teeth.  Jaynee Lockwood (many of y'all may remember her) had 11 or 12 kids and had all of her teeth removed a few years ago.  I can't remember if she had a horrible childbirth complication with the last kid or what, but she lost the ability to bear children. Otherwise, she's have popped out three or four more.  She updated the blog on Thanksgiving and there is another previous post with a fair amount of info. https://lockwoodfamily.blogspot.com/

Nicole Naugler had some major dental issues/lost all of her teeth this past year(?).  Her last child was stillborn, I think.  I'm always fuzzy on details, but fj-ers with institutional memory, chime in! 

Jaynee had 12 surviving kids. Her last, Samuel, was born at 32 weeks due to complete placenta previa and placenta increta. This was followed by two miscarriages, the last miscarriage was twins and required a hysterectomy due to placenta accreta. (Increta and accreta are both conditions where the placenta grows too deeply into the uterine wall but IIRC accreta is less severe than increta).

Nicole's 12th child, William was stillborn due to placental calcification and placental abruption. 

• Thank You 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic