IGNORED

Where in the World is Doug Phillips (Who is a Tool)? Part 11

Coconut Flan

thoughtful, you made my day.  That was outstanding.

The Music Man is one of my all-time favorites - I quote it all the time, usually Hermoine Granger's lines...

"What Eleanor Glynn reads is HER mother's problem!"  :pb_lol:

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4

@danvillebelle, Hermione *Gingold*, but yes!

”The Music Man” was the first big-screen movie musical I ever saw, and I still remember how elated I was when we left the theater. I was ten. My mom told me that she took us to the movie instead of a local professional stage production because she thought the spectacle of the screen version would be more impressive. Even though I adore live theater of all kinds, she was certainly right in this case.

Edited by Hane
Damn you, autocorrect!
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

The Music Man was always my mother's favorite musical. I never could figure out why she didn't see the parallels between Hill's rhetoric and the fear mongering homeschool gurus she bought curriculum and worldviews from, but I guess it turned out ok for Winthrop, so it would work for us, too. I've mentioned before that my dad did smell the hucksterism of DPIAT, though. So we just got a small time, more personalized cure-all system with a side of Gothardism.

• Upvote 5

49 minutes ago, Hane said:

Hermione *Gingold*, but yes!

I knew it didn't sound right!  Thank you, mea culpa.

"it's a smutty book!"  :pb_lol:

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

Ye gawds, @thoughtful, you've outdone yourself, and just in time for the holidays! This is so brilliant. If Mayor Shinn were here, I'm sure he'd be bellowing "You watch your phraseology!"

Thank you for the spot-on funny gift, and happiest of solstice-time celebrations to all.

• I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, danvillebelle said:

I knew it didn't sound right!  Thank you, mea culpa.

My first thought was that you were a victim of autocorrect, that the Potterverse is now so ubiquitous that, if someone types "Hermione G," phones and computers just fill in the rest - like magic!  ?

1 hour ago, Leftitinmysnood said:

The Music Man was always my mother's favorite musical. I never could figure out why she didn't see the parallels between Hill's rhetoric and the fear mongering homeschool gurus she bought curriculum and worldviews from, but I guess it turned out ok for Winthrop, so it would work for us, too. I've mentioned before that my dad did smell the hucksterism of DPIAT, though. So we just got a small time, more personalized cure-all system with a side of Gothardism.

I think that the character of Hill is written with enough humanity that he far outshines Doug - after all, he is a character in a musical that we are supposed to like. His interest in, and kindness to, Winthrop is genuine from the beginning, and he falls in love. Although, we never do find out if he is really reformed by love, the usual show-biz trope. I have a hard time picturing him settling down in River City. Maybe Marian goes on the road with him!

Doug is just a series of facades over a greedy, selfish core.

Edited by thoughtful
left a few things out!
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, Marian the Librarian said:

If Mayor Shinn were here, I'm sure he'd be bellowing "You watch your phraseology!"

I'm so glad you showed up on this thread, and thank you for the compliments - my day is made!

Now, after reading some BAL-zac, I shall practice my routine with the other ladies. One Grecian urn . . .

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Dougie just posted a clip to Facebook titled "Playing With Amazonian Anacondas".

I'll cop to taking the bait :pb_lol: but admit it Doug, you just didn't like to see your FJ thread fall to page two ?

Edited by AnnaSofia
  • Haha 13
  • Thank You 1

4 hours ago, AnnaSofia said:

Dougie just posted a clip to Facebook titled "Playing With Amazonian Anacondas".

I'll cop to taking the bait :pb_lol: but admit it Doug, you just didn't like to see your FJ thread fall to page two ?

No thanks. I don’t like watching snakes. Both reptile and human. 

• Haha 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

The video won’t play for me(which is probably a good thing).

• I Agree 1

Love the way he titled that video! ?

Any word on the Be-all front lately? 

• Upvote 1

“Tighter and tighter”

”me and the anaconda”

oh Doug. It’s been since 2003 I followed your mesmerizing bizarreness, thanks for just being you.

Them snakes sure do grow. Those anacondas. Tighter and tighter. 

(I’ll see my self out...)

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 7

47 minutes ago, frumperlicious said:

“Tighter and tighter”

”me and the anaconda”

oh Doug. It’s been since 2003 I followed your mesmerizing bizarreness, thanks for just being you.

Them snakes sure do grow. Those anacondas. Tighter and tighter. 

(I’ll see my self out...)

I’ll go with you. I’ve got wine! 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, unholypoledancer said:

Love the way he titled that video! ?

Any word on the Be-all front lately? 

Beall and at least some of the kids went to yet another Florida wedding right after Christmas.

I think it was for Catherine Walsh & Josh Kwekel:

The bride's insta is private, the groom's is mostly fishing photos: https://www.instagram.com/jkwekel/

Maybe someone can dig around on Facebook for any sight of Doug at the wedding.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 4

15 hours ago, AnnaSofia said:

admit it Doug, you just didn't like to see your FJ thread fall to page two ?

I think you're right! It has to be a really old clip (unless he's somehow managed to get himself down to the Amazon again).

Hi, tool! Fleeced anyone for money or creeped on young brunettes lately?

Edited by thoughtful
riffle
  • Haha 7
  • Love 1

18 minutes ago, Howl said:

You didn't mention that the groom is insanely buff...

I was too distracted wondering if he was wearing a diaper in this pic:

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, thoughtful said:

I think you're right! It has to be a really old clip (unless he's somehow managed to get himself down to the Amazon again).

Is he suggesting that we'll see the return of manly romps in 2020?  :mullet-nanner:

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

2 minutes ago, Elegant Mess said:

Is he suggesting that we'll see the return of manly romps in 2020?  :mullet-nanner:

The wider the stance while romping, the closer to God!

• Haha 8

8 minutes ago, Elegant Mess said:

If only ?

• Haha 4
  • Love 1

Beall mentions that she's reading Gretchen Rubin's Better Than Before, which is a secular self-help book. It intrigues me that she's not mentioning reading any Christian authors; she also reads Brene Brown, IIRC.  I think I understand this "season" of her life; there's a lot of yearning and wanting to get things really sorted. Often lots of changes and self evaluation happens when women are approaching menopause or have already arrived.  Plus, without young children at home and the youngest a teenager, Beall actually has time to read and isn't bogged down in books with the patriarchal stamp of approval for reading by good fundie women. 

I tried to read The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People once, and realized pretty quick that I didn't want to be a highly effective person. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 6
  • Haha 14

5 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

I’ll go with you. I’ve got wine! 

Wait for meeeeeeee! ?‍♀️

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4

18 hours ago, AnnaSofia said:

I was too distracted wondering if he was wearing a diaper in this pic:

MY GREATEST CATCH. I'm dying.  They seem cute and happy though. 

Personally, I can't imagine Dougie  attending a not-family wedding where he didn't have a starring role - pastor, wedding singer, something like that. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

24 minutes ago, acheronbeach said:

I can't imagine Dougie  attending a not-family wedding where he didn't have a starring role - pastor, wedding singer, something like that. 

I think Dougie looks at life the way an up-and-coming actor looks at a script; scanning to find out how important his role is, counting his lines, making sure he doesn't die in the first act.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic