IGNORED

Jana 10: Advertising Boredom on a Biblical Level

samurai_sarah

On 1/15/2020 at 6:41 AM, SassyPants said:

This is just my opinion, but in the US you’d have to go out of your way NOT to know about the Duggars, both the  benign ( babies and weddings) and the evil ( molestation , Gothard and Ashley Madison).  People Magazine, The today’s show, TLC, Dateline, as well as other written publications... In the US it’s either willful ignorance or justification. It is a microcosm of why we have Trump as President. 

Everything some folks do or even say, can be justified or explained away. In the case of Trump, even his own words “ you can grab them by the pussy and they don’t care”...supporters can justify. I’ve hit a road block in my ability to understand this reasoning.

I don’t know... I’ve had my kids  - late 20’s to mid 30’s - come in while I’m watching Counting On, and only one had more than the very vaguest idea of who they were. Mostly something along the lines of  “what is up with pessimism people” “ or “  are those the people who  had a billion kids?” I think another one knew “ one of them turned out to be a perv, or something, right? “ 

These are people who don’t do social media or watch regular tv - people I know who are on Facebook, etc, tend to know who they are. I just realized that outside of my mom, I  the only person I know who has “ regular” tv. 

Edited by Mama Mia
  • Upvote 6

On 1/17/2020 at 6:14 PM, patsymae said:

Because of my job I do a lot of fact checking. So my searches run the gamut. Advertisers and others--who pop up immediate in feeds including email--think I'm interested in hating "Shifty Shiff," buying diamonds, subscribing to white-power newsletters and ... for about the last 3 years I regularly got emails thanking me for my support for the Trump campaign--we know you are one of our great patriots, and if you send XX$$ you can enter a lottery to meet the Great Man himself. (Kept it going for that long because I wanted to see what they were doing but finally couldn't stand it anymore.) What about me says I want to support Trump, the triumph of "freedom of religion," the Wall? Nothing but net searches I do for my job that are tracked.

I got these emails too - I haven't gotten one in a while, actually. And I don't think I turned it off. I had been responding. Usually one of the kidadults in that family (or the DIL) were the ones "sending" so I'd respond as if I knew them. Dear Lara - you hitched your wagon to a crazy train. Get off now while YOU STILL CAN.

But really - haven't gotten one in ages. (I kept it up for the same reason you did - to see what kind of stupid he was spewing today.) 

• Upvote 4

I’m getting ads for an upcoming remodel and landscape show in Tulsa, OK. I do not live in Oklahoma. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, MargaretElliott said:

I mostly get ads for Ashley Madison. No lie. 

Maybe they target Free Jinger for those ads, because of Josh!

• I Agree 1
  • Love 1

I'm getting Cristian date ad and Freejinger ad. I especially love some of the photo for the freejinger ads like this one 

Spoiler

Screenshot_20200125-122927_Chrome.thumb.jpg.76b7241fd603bd36564a2bcd050e0241.jpg

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, Italiangirl said:

I'm getting Cristian date ad and Freejinger ad. I especially love some of the photo for the freejinger ads like this one 

Hide contents

Screenshot_20200125-122927_Chrome.thumb.jpg.76b7241fd603bd36564a2bcd050e0241.jpg

I've been noticing those, too.  Those photos are great.  Who puts those together?

• Upvote 4

If my mom hadn't insisted on watching 14 Kids when I was pregnant with my oldest and stuck with her, and I hadn't found TWOP, then the beginning of what FJ was then and has become, I'd not know much of anything about them past possibly seeing pictures on People occasionally. *shrug* 

I don't pay attention to magazines at stores to begin with, and haven't had real tv in so long (where TLC wasn't something that I watched even then), I'd literally know pretty much nothing about them other than giant Christian family. Possibly that one kid is an asshole.

I don't think that's all that strange. 

Edited by RainbowSky
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

Per Instagram Jana was in Las Vegas for the Las Vegas Home and Gift Show. 

By far my favorite comment:  "Jana your so close.. just try and gamble a little . have a drink. It’s Vegas. What happens there stays there. We wont tell Jim Bob"

(I don't have IG couldn't figure out how else to grab the quote).

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 12

According to a fan IG, Boob was there as well, complete with creepy possessive arm on Jana...

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 2
  • Thank You 6

JimBob just looks... so out of place in that picture.

• I Agree 20
  • Love 1

She looks like she’s trying to pretend he’s not there. How bizarre that he was chaperoning her or whatever at age..30?

• Upvote 13
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, neuroticcat said:

She looks like she’s trying to pretend he’s not there. How bizarre that he was chaperoning her or whatever at age..30?

I wonder if it weirds her out that he puts his hand on her arm the same way he does with Meechelle?

• Upvote 4
  • Disgust 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, neuroticcat said:

I know! I was seeing those Instastories too and so excited that she got to do this alone......But I'm sure she by now knows the weirdness of, hey, none of these other aspiring entrepreneurs have their dads here.........Or is she thinking those poor umbrella-less women? Wondering when they'll get soaked.......

• Upvote 8

And it’s almost like she’s pressing in to the lady next to her to avoid him.

also what’s with the woman on the other side of JB? Is her arm around him? ?

Edited by neuroticcat
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

According to a fan IG, Boob was there as well, complete with creepy possessive arm on Jana...

Is Jana wearing slacks? Surely that's not a tight long skirt? 

• Upvote 1

It's a skirt over leggings.  They're both black so it's a bit tough to see.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Coconut Flan said:

It's a skirt over leggings.  They're both black so it's a bit tough to see.

I see it now. That's just so dumb.

• Confused 1
  • I Agree 1

What is the tag that Boob has on?  A guest/visitor or presenter badge? Can anyone tell?

• Upvote 3

On 1/15/2020 at 11:40 PM, AussieKrissy said:

I get ads for meeting single muslims.... So random, I am not muslim. 

Maybe the algorithm has deduced that you’re into hot Arab guys with turbans? ?

Regarding Jana, these questions are ones that really interest me (but I’m afraid no one can answer them, except for Jana herself of course): Does she 

a. notice how odd it is that she’s not allowed to travel anywhere alone as a 30 years old adult?

b. find it limiting, uncomfortable, and/or embarrassing that her dad tags along everywhere? 

c. feel pity or envy for the women she meets and who can live more independently? 

Edited by FluffySnowball
some additional thoughts
  • Upvote 5

11 hours ago, FluffySnowball said:

Maybe the algorithm has deduced that you’re into hot Arab guys with turbans? ?

Regarding Jana, these questions are ones that really interest me (but I’m afraid no one can answer them, except for Jana herself of course): Does she 

a. notice how odd it is that she’s not allowed to travel anywhere alone as a 30 years old adult?

b. find it limiting, uncomfortable, and/or embarrassing that her dad tags along everywhere? 

c. feel pity or envy for the women she meets and who can live more independently? 

How JB treated  Jana was likely unusual at 20, embarrassing at 25, but how he treats her at 30, is literally insane.

ETA- This is not just insane it is developmentally and emotionally inappropriate. What is going to happen to Jana when her parents die, and if she never marries? Will Nathan Maxwell have to become her headship? Jana is not Sarah Maxwell, she is far more “of the world.” Does she really see her living situation and how she is being treated as normal? Why can’t Laura and Jana get a place together and become each other’s accountability buddy? How is JB’s way the best way to raise anyone? 

Edited by SassyPants
  • Upvote 14

• samurai_sarah locked this topic