IGNORED

Jana 10: Advertising Boredom on a Biblical Level

samurai_sarah

43 minutes ago, patsymae said:

I remember talk about that too. I also remember when she took her kids to an as-seen-on-TV trip to the public library Anna said she had no idea how easy it was to get a library card. I got my kid and my grandkids library cards when they were 3. What kind of "degree" can you have when you don't know it's possible to get a library card?

WTF?!? HOW?!? How does someone who was homeschooled not know how simple it is to get a library card?! I know her parents were into seclusion but that's extreme! I (wrongly!) always assumed regularly going to the library was an automatic for homeschoolers! I lived at the library as a kid and I wasn't even homeschooled. I'm stunned.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Giraffe said:

WTF?!? HOW?!? How does someone who was homeschooled not know how simple it is to get a library card?! I know her parents were into seclusion but that's extreme! I (wrongly!) always assumed regularly going to the library was an automatic for homeschoolers! I lived at the library as a kid and I wasn't even homeschooled. I'm stunned.

They don't go to the library because of the evil secular books! 

• Upvote 14
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 3

Because the Duggars obviously didn't grow up with Arthur singing how having fun isn't hard when you got a library card!

• Upvote 14
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 3

Hopes dashed, I thought Jana actually did something. Carry on. This thread is kind of like the Arndt's nothing new...

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, candygirl200413 said:

Because the Duggars obviously didn't grow up with Arthur singing how having fun isn't hard when you got a library card!

One of my favorite Arthur episodes from the '90s days when my then-preschooler son watched the show ad nauseam....thank you for bringing it up.   Now I have the song stuck in my head, but it's all good. 

And don't forget the Dewey Decimal System is your friend!  

DW:  Who's Dewey? 

Edited by HeartsAFundie
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Giraffe said:

I was homeschooled and we never had library cards or went to the library. My first library card was at age 23. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 8
  • WTF 2

I always assumed that libraries are bastions of liberal sin. The horror of all those books!  Now, NOW they have drag queens doing story time! Can you think of anything more terrifying? 

Seriously though, libraries were NOT something many members of the church I attended thought were useful. And I would LOVE to go to drag queen story time, most kids would love that, nothing better than story time with over the top readers. 

Edited by allthegoodnamesrgone
  • Upvote 2
  • Sad 4

8 hours ago, meep said:

I was homeschooled and we never had library cards or went to the library. My first library card was at age 23. 

In the 60-70s my parents thought reading books was lazy. They now (nearing 90) understand the error of their ways. If you take away the good food, booze and lack of religiosity, my dad could lean Steve Maxwell ....well at least in the work detail department. I often remind my folks of this faux pas in their encouragement of reading dept. or lack there of.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

They don't go to the library because of the evil secular books! 

Well it's not like those books are going to just jump into your pile to check out!! 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 6

I’m so sorry! I never knew how privileged I was to use a library as a kid! ?

Edited by Giraffe
Grammaring betterer
  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 8

I was homeschooled and we went to the library a lot. There wasn't any Google or internet so we had to go look up references and read books for book reports the old fashioned way. Once I was 12 or so, I was allowed to walk there on my own (and read plenty of un-fundie books!).

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

In our defense, we did have a set of encyclopedias. My parents told me that had any info for school I would need. And they did buy me books sometimes. I don't know why we didn't go to the library. 

• Upvote 1

Why Michelle had to be next to her while giving the interview if she hasn't said a word? Jana is not old enough to give an interview like this alone? Does she need to have an accountability partner next to her just to be sure? Geez, these people! 

• Upvote 12
  • Love 1

She doesn’t really explain what she does though - just ‘whatever comes into her path’. It does make it sound like she is basically a mother’s help and is allowed to go on a few trips with her friend as a reward. 
Apart from doing some home decor projects (which most people do whether they’re married or not) she doesn’t give the impression of doing very much.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 3

1 hour ago, Italiangirl said:

Why Michelle had to be next to her while giving the interview if she hasn't said a word? Jana is not old enough to give an interview like this alone? Does she need to have an accountability partner next to her just to be sure? Geez, these people! 

Michelle looked wasted to be honest. Just a bit to mouthy and happy to keep taps on the eldest daughter. I did not listen to the interview, just watched, and boy this is a creepy creepy relationship these two have.

• Upvote 7

Wow. That interview was cringey. Yikes. I felt like it was an advertisement for Jana. 

• Upvote 7

6 hours ago, Idlewild said:

She doesn’t really explain what she does though - just ‘whatever comes into her path’. It does make it sound like she is basically a mother’s help and is allowed to go on a few trips with her friend as a reward. 
Apart from doing some home decor projects (which most people do whether they’re married or not) she doesn’t give the impression of doing very much.

Minus the sex, it sounds like the life all her married sisters and SILs live. They all monitor and clean up after kids and do housework. Occasionally they meet up with friends. Maybe the dysfunction of growing up with all those siblings and watching her mother’s life of pregnancy after pregnancy left Jana deciding that life style wasn’t for her. I know the home where I grew up (loud, messy...) left me knowing that I would not be a SAHM to a large brood of noisy kids. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

On 7/1/2020 at 7:36 PM, candygirl200413 said:

On 7/1/2020 at 10:14 PM, HeartsAFundie said:

One of my favorite Arthur episodes from the '90s days when my then-preschooler son watched the show ad nauseam....thank you for bringing it up.   Now I have the song stuck in my head, but it's all good. 

And don't forget the Dewey Decimal System is your friend!  

DW:  Who's Dewey? 

I love Arthur so much. I may or may not have other accounts that are references to one of the characters and I still regularly quote it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 2

3 minutes ago, potato said:

I love Arthur so much. I may or may not have other accounts that are references to one of the characters and I still regularly quote it. 

I was in the hospital after having had surgery when the episode where Mr. Ratburn not only came out but got married. I actually cried, I was so moved by it. 

• Love 10

2 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I was in the hospital after having had surgery when the episode where Mr. Ratburn not only came out but got married. I actually cried, I was so moved by it. 

Mr. Ratburn is an awesome character and I always enjoyed it when he was on.   Also appreciated his love for cake too! "Ohhh....are we having cake?!" 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

• 3 weeks later...

My impression of Jana is that people annoy her a lot. She likes doing things her way, and is irritated when she isn’t in charge. That’s a very, very difficult family to have that personality type in. And having experienced so many other grating human beings in her space ALL the time, it’s probably really, really hard to not be irritated / put off by the various men who have come around. 

She currently seems to have it pretty good. She does care for kids and help with the house - but she doesn’t seem involved with monitoring schoolwork, and all the kids are old enough to not be sticking toys up their nose so she can go work on her garden or go visit with friends in peace. That many tweens and teens would still be loud and chaotic and a lot of work - but it’s certainly not as 24/7 For her personally as it was before. 

I can see her waiting a few more years and then marrying at 35 ish so she’s pretty sure not to have more than 4 or 5 kids. She seems like one of the most idolizing of her parents  of all her siblings so I don’t think she’d change much in how they do things - so likely very strongly no birth control. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4

I think Jana is Michelle 2.0. I could see Michelle being matron of honor for Jana same as for Kelly and Michal Bates. Jana photoshopped skirts on girls in a random pic. I dont think she will deviate from her parents brand.  

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

22 minutes ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

I think Jana is Michelle 2.0. I could see Michelle being matron of honor for Jana same as for Kelly and Michal Bates. Jana photoshopped skirts on girls in a random pic. I dont think she will deviate from her parents brand.  

Is she holding out for a JB type? It wouldn’t surprise me. If she found one it would be interesting to see if they took over Duggar inc - it may set up a power struggle with Anna and Turd. 

• Upvote 3

It's also difficult to find Prince Charming in a culture where the woman is supposed to be subservient to a man when you are exacting in your expectations of how you want things done.  Which is really close to the 'weakness' I use in job interviews.  "I hold others to the same high expectations I hold myself to..."

• Upvote 7

• samurai_sarah locked this topic