IGNORED

Jana 10: Advertising Boredom on a Biblical Level

samurai_sarah

19 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I’m not talking about original viewership. I’m more interested in how the current show can draw a sustainable audience of supporters, not snark or hate watchers. WHAT is the current demographic of people who after all the crap that has been exposed about these folks, still believe the o’shucks charade? I’ve heard over and over again that the Duggars are not well supported or respected, locally, so where does that line of being informed about the true nature of this family end? 

To me, these types of thinkers are why we have a lying, cheating, women abuser sitting in 1600 PA Ave, Washington DC. 

Clearly, I need to more fully understand raging cognitive dissonance.

I think the problem is that most people are not aware of the crap. As said, the only thing that has made it to the Netherlands is the abuse and then from the TLC source, so only what was shown on the first season of Counting On.

I don't know how it is in the US or the rest of the world but if you don't actively search for it, you will probably not know about it.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

21 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I’m not talking about original viewership. I’m more interested in how the current show can draw a sustainable audience of supporters, not snark or hate watchers. WHAT is the current demographic of people who after all the crap that has been exposed about these folks, still believe the o’shucks charade? I’ve heard over and over again that the Duggars are not well supported or respected, locally, so where does that line of being informed about the true nature of this family end? 

To me, these types of thinkers are why we have a lying, cheating, women abuser sitting in 1600 PA Ave, Washington DC. 

Clearly, I need to more fully understand raging cognitive dissonance.

It always astonishes me that there are people who gush over the family as being ‘wholesome’, Anna as ‘strong’( though granted she needs a strong stomach to let  sex pest near her) and the parents as ‘godly’. They completely ignore or refuse to believe any of the negative points. They’re probably the same people who are convinced Trump is born again. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 7

6 minutes ago, CarrotCake said:

I think the problem is that most people are not aware of the crap. As said, the only thing that has made it to the Netherlands is the abuse and then from the TLC source, so only what was shown on the first season of Counting On.

I don't know how it is in the US or the rest of the world but if you don't actively search for it, you will probably not know about it.

This is just my opinion, but in the US you’d have to go out of your way NOT to know about the Duggars, both the  benign ( babies and weddings) and the evil ( molestation , Gothard and Ashley Madison).  People Magazine, The today’s show, TLC, Dateline, as well as other written publications... In the US it’s either willful ignorance or justification. It is a microcosm of why we have Trump as President. 

Everything some folks do or even say, can be justified or explained away. In the case of Trump, even his own words “ you can grab them by the pussy and they don’t care”...supporters can justify. I’ve hit a road block in my ability to understand this reasoning.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

I'm getting ads for Tucker Carlson and the war to destroy Christian America. WTF? From someone who rarely swears. This is FJ. You're in the wrong forum.

• Haha 8

Jana is promoting Lawson Bates mercy mission for a girl from the Philippines to receive medical treatment in the US. Of course she could have done it via the Duggar Family page- but roll up, roll up, there’s still a show to see here folks.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, SassyPants said:

This is just my opinion, but in the US you’d have to go out of your way NOT to know about the Duggars, both the  benign ( babies and weddings) and the evil ( molestation , Gothard and Ashley Madison).  People Magazine, The today’s show, TLC, Dateline, as well as other written publications... In the US it’s either willful ignorance or justification. It is a microcosm of why we have Trump as President. 

Everything some folks do or even say, can be justified or explained away. In the case of Trump, even his own words “ you can grab them by the pussy and they don’t care”...supporters can justify. I’ve hit a road block in my ability to understand this reasoning.

And that's what scares me. I don't know how to respond/react/interact with people who do the "oh - he's just kidding! you're so sensitive... the media spins everything...." bit. 
I just... what planet are you living on? 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

38 minutes ago, Meggo said:

And that's what scares me. I don't know how to respond/react/interact with people who do the "oh - he's just kidding! you're so sensitive... the media spins everything...." bit. 
I just... what planet are you living on? 

Exactly. I was recently on a trip with my nearing 90 year old parents, and these are statements I’ve heard from them. 

4 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

I'm getting ads for Tucker Carlson and the war to destroy Christian America. WTF? From someone who rarely swears. This is FJ. You're in the wrong forum.

If it makes you feel any better, I continually get ads for some drug that helps you wean off opioids. Even typing the word opioid makes me nervous.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

The war on us heathens has begun ? 

35 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

If it makes you feel any better, I continually get ads for some drug that helps you wean off opioids. Even typing the word opioid makes me nervous.

As far is I’m aware, advertising algorithms can’t read one’s futures, right? Because if they do, you’ll get a drug problem and I’ll become very serious about prepping for the apocalypse. 

• Haha 8

7 minutes ago, FluffySnowball said:

The war on us heathens has begun ? 

As far is I’m aware, advertising algorithms can’t read one’s futures, right? Because if they do, you’ll get a drug problem and I’ll become very serious about prepping for the apocalypse. 

Now I just got one for a “recovery” camp! My future just might be sealed.

• Haha 4

47 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Now I just got one for a “recovery” camp! My future just might be sealed.

I get ads for meeting single muslims.... So random, I am not muslim. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 9

I get ads for clothes and video games. How do they know that I'm badly dressed and enjoy the occasional gaming night?

• Haha 5

I’m getting a “multifamily investor summit.” As opposed to to what? Just inviting my cousins?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

I’m getting a “multifamily investor summit.” As opposed to to what? Just inviting my cousins?

Same here!

I get the opioid addiction ads too! I chalk it up to reading a lot of therapy sources online since my mom and my in-laws are all alcoholics? I rarely drink, let alone take opioids so the ad is really missing the mark haha. 

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Genuinely curious by what you mean by inviting your cousins? A multi-family investor summit would be for people interested in owning or managing duplexes and apartments. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Seculardaisy said:

Genuinely curious by what you mean by inviting your cousins? A multi-family investor summit would be for people interested in owning or managing duplexes and apartments. 

Oh, thanks. I was making a joke based on the premise that obviously the people at an investor summit would be from multiple families.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Oh, thanks. I was making a joke based on the premise that obviously the people at an investor summit would be from multiple families.

Gotcha, I genuinely wasn’t sure what you meant. I’m sorry.

• Upvote 1

I get lots of adverts for ladies clothes which look lovely, but when you look up the companies' reviews, they are absolute rubbish, and barely merit one star. All made in China, and the garments seemingly look nothing like the photographs.  A pity, because the styles look great in the photos.

- and oooof, I've just seen a new advert    " Proof of Jesus' resurrection shocks sceptics...!". Guess they think I'm not gullible enough to buy tatty clothes, but may just be susceptible to a bit of salvation

• Upvote 6

45 minutes ago, Sops2 said:

I get lots of adverts for ladies clothes which look lovely, but when you look up the companies' reviews, they are absolute rubbish, and barely merit one star. All made in China, and the garments seemingly look nothing like the photographs.  A pity, because the styles look great in the photos.

- and oooof, I've just seen a new advert    " Proof of Jesus' resurrection shocks sceptics...!". Guess they think I'm not gullible enough to buy tatty clothes, but may just be susceptible to a bit of salvation

On some device I've bookmarked a great style blog entry devoted to those companies. She's made a list of them. There are 100s. It's one of the reasons I only turn fj ads on periodically.

Amazon has a huge glut of that shit clothing too. I was looking for something specific, of decent quality, I spent so much time looking at shitty stuff that I gave up.

That's happened a few times now. It's frustrating.

Related. I keep coming across articles about we have so so so much cheap clothing now that it's killing our thrift store industry, such as it is.

That part of the overseas charitable/poverty market is completely over saturated. We have more junk clothing than anyone else wants.

• Upvote 2

On 1/16/2020 at 5:35 AM, SweetJuly said:

I get ads for clothes and video games. How do they know that I'm badly dressed and enjoy the occasional gaming night?

Because of my job I do a lot of fact checking. So my searches run the gamut. Advertisers and others--who pop up immediate in feeds including email--think I'm interested in hating "Shifty Shiff," buying diamonds, subscribing to white-power newsletters and ... for about the last 3 years I regularly got emails thanking me for my support for the Trump campaign--we know you are one of our great patriots, and if you send XX$$ you can enter a lottery to meet the Great Man himself. (Kept it going for that long because I wanted to see what they were doing but finally couldn't stand it anymore.) What about me says I want to support Trump, the triumph of "freedom of religion," the Wall? Nothing but net searches I do for my job that are tracked.

• Upvote 3

• samurai_sarah locked this topic