IGNORED

Joe and Kendra 13: Online Courting with Caldwell Semi-colons

Georgiana

So I got chicken pox twice. Once when I was 1 I got a mild case and again when I was three. the case when I was one I have photographic proof of because my mother took a pic of my brothers and me all with spots. Then when I was 11, I went to a science camp (I was cool) that required that you either have the vaccine or have a blood test to prove that you already had chicken pox. It came back showing that I didn’t have immunity to chicken pox and I had to get the vaccine despite already having chicken pox twice. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 4

On 10/27/2019 at 6:36 AM, finnlassie said:

I believe it started when mum forced me to get the ebola flu shot

I've gotten all of the mandatory vaccines my age group got here in Finland, plus the ebola vaccine and meningitis vaccine back when I lived on campus in Glasgow (it was recommended to people in the halls).

I don't mean to be off-topic, but I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out what you mean by "ebola vaccine" or "ebola flu shot." Meningitis vaccine, I understand--the meningococcal shot is required in my area of the US for children starting 6th grade, along with tetanus, Hep A, and a chicken pox booster.

But, to put it lightly, nobody would ever have had the reason (let alone the ability, opportunity, or idea) to get an Ebola vaccine at an ordinary doctor (in Glasgow, Finland, or elsewhere). The first-ever successful vaccine won't be out of FDA review until March 2020, though it's being used to control the outbreak in the DRC right now. Practically speaking, there still isn't an ebola vaccine, unless you work for the WHO in Africa or you're being vaccinated by them to suppress an outbreak.

You mentioned the climate of anti-vax disinformation in the 80s/90s. Do you mean that there were rumors going around that the standard vaccines (flu shot, etc.) were somehow connected to diseases like Ebola, and so that's what your mom called the flu shot or something else? I can't imagine Ebola would even have been widely known of back then.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1

47 minutes ago, Aithuia said:

I don't mean to be off-topic, but I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out what you mean by "ebola vaccine" or "ebola flu shot." Meningitis vaccine, I understand--the meningococcal shot is required in my area of the US for children starting 6th grade, along with tetanus, Hep A, and a chicken pox booster.

But, to put it lightly, nobody would ever have had the reason (let alone the ability, opportunity, or idea) to get an Ebola vaccine at an ordinary doctor (in Glasgow, Finland, or elsewhere). The first-ever successful vaccine won't be out of FDA review until March 2020, though it's being used to control the outbreak in the DRC right now. Practically speaking, there still isn't an ebola vaccine, unless you work for the WHO in Africa or you're being vaccinated by them to suppress an outbreak.

You mentioned the climate of anti-vax disinformation in the 80s/90s. Do you mean that there were rumors going around that the standard vaccines (flu shot, etc.) were somehow connected to diseases like Ebola, and so that's what your mom called the flu shot or something else? I can't imagine Ebola would even have been widely known of back then.

I was confused by the talk of an "ebola shot," too.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

The idea of chicken pox parties makes me want to scream. Why you would intentionally expose a child to a communicable disease with potentially severe complications when a vaccination exists is beyond me. 

Edited by LacyMay
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

19 minutes ago, LacyMay said:

The idea of chicken pox parties makes me want to scream. Why you would intentionally expose a child to a communicable disease with potentially severe complications when a vaccination exists is beyond me. 

If parent can't afford the vaccine perhaps? 

• Upvote 2

Those people that I know that let their children go to chicken pox (or maßlos or rubella) parties could easily afford the vaccine. Even if it wasn't covered by our healthcare system.

They usually think it somehow strengthens your immune system if you actually get those diseases.

I also don't get it. My son is vaccinated and I really hope that the vaccines work so that those children that went to the "parties" won't infect him.

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, LacyMay said:

Not everyone knows there is a vaccine. If it’s not in the vaccination plan how would you know about it? Because I certainly don’t google random vaccines. If there is a necessary safe vaccines I expect it to be on the plan. Furthermore, if it’s not covered by your health insurance provider you have to pay for it (it still makes sense to send in the bill because sometimes they will give you a refund still).

But people know how bad chicken pox is for older children and adults. So making sure they catch it when a milder case can be expected (I know not always but the majority) is the next best option.

Well, I checked and thankfully the vaccines is on our official vaccination calendar (all recommended vaccines there are covered by all general health insurance providers). We do think about adding a vaccine against FSME privately because in our area there have been lots of ticks recently.

That is something I really love about FJ. If the chickenpox vaccines wouldn’t have been on the plan, I would have found out about it here. 

• Upvote 5

8 hours ago, Aithuia said:

I just realised I mixed up ebola and pig flu. :bangheaddesk:

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 6

I had a bit too much wine last night, leading to some very strange dreams including JoKen naming their girl "Maddison" and all of FJ exploding ?

• Haha 12

7 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

If parent can't afford the vaccine perhaps? 

Even in the shitty medical system of the US, public health will give children shots at no cost, and your childs school will have the information as to where to go to get them, and they might even be available at the school.

I have a vague memory of getting some of my vaccinations at school, in maybe 1st or 2nd grade, this would have been in the mid 70's here in the US.  I don't remember WHAT vaccination it was, if it was just a flu shot or something else but we were all lined up to get it, then we got a treat and went to recess.  I know it isn't a small pox vaccine because I'm just "young" enough that they had stopped giving that vaccine to kids, saying I believe we should have immunity because our mothers were vaccinated.  Honestly I don't know if I dreamed this or if it really happened as I would have been about 6 or 7 so that was more than 40 years ago now. Any one else in the US, in their mid 40's to early 50's remember this being done? 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 1

19 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I have a vague memory of getting some of my vaccinations at school, in maybe 1st or 2nd grade, this would have been in the mid 70's here in the US.  I don't remember WHAT vaccination it was, 

I have memories of that too. I think it was measles.... maybe??? I remember that we lined up by class, we processed to the gym and the vaccination was with a pressurized gun type machine. I was born in 1964....so this happened mid 70's. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Exposedknees said:

I have memories of that too. I think it was measles.... maybe??? I remember that we lined up by class, we processed to the gym and the vaccination was with a pressurized gun type machine. I was born in 1964....so this happened mid 70's. 

yes, it was  a gun type machine that gave the shot. I was born in 1970, and 1st grade would haven been 76/77 school year.

This thread haunts me. I saw a street ad for crunchy chicken and on first sight I thought it said "Chicken pox".

Great you can buy them by now and don't need a party anymore.

Edited by LancetteShing99
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 3

I got a measles shot with a 'gun' in kindergarten.  (which was a year they had both live and dead vaccine used - leading to a second  shot in 7th grade).  I can also vaguely recall polio sugar cubes given at school at one time or another.  

My sister somehow missed MMR vax and got mumps and later measles then had to go to health department in high school to get the shot because it wasn't in her records and school said they wouldn't accept that she'd had the diseases as an alternative.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

yes, it was  a gun type machine that gave the shot. I was born in 1970, and 1st grade would haven been 76/77 school year.

I was born 10 years before you and I remember getting that same gun type shot. I’m pretty sure that shot is the one that left the scar on all of our upper arms for smallpox.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

23 minutes ago, scoutsadie said:

https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-moms/pictures/kendra-joseph-duggar-2-kids-under-2-should-be-smooth-transition/

Words of wisdom from Kendra about parenting two children after only having one:

“The adjustment part is always an adjustment” ?

Words of wisdom, indeed.

Edited by Bad Wolf
  • Haha 8

20 minutes ago, scoutsadie said:

The snozberries taste like snozberries!

I had two kids in two years and it was light years easier going from 1 kid to 2 kids than it was adjusting to being a new parent.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 4
  • Love 2

Holy guacamole, what did I just read? I know US Weekly isn't known for its insightful articles...but they must really be scraping the barrel trying to find content.

55 minutes ago, scoutsadie said:

https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-moms/pictures/kendra-joseph-duggar-2-kids-under-2-should-be-smooth-transition/

The two of them strike me as equally intellectually gifted, though I occasionally wonder if they're really geniuses at saying nothing.

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, TeaELSee said:

I was born 10 years before you and I remember getting that same gun type shot. I’m pretty sure that shot is the one that left the scar on all of our upper arms for smallpox.

I don't have a small pox scar, and they stopped vaccinated for small pox in 1972, I didn't start school until 1975.

The sentence the “Joe isn’t as strict with his wife as he is with his son.”, doesn’t really sound good coming from them. If it was a couple from a different background then I would see it as a joke. But coming from them with their ideas on widely obedience and male authority, it really takes on a sinister meaning. They obviously meant it as a joke, but does it have some basis in truth?

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2

2 hours ago, scoutsadie said:

Kendra probably did say that, and it sounds just like Joe-speak*. There is a chance she didn't. I allowed myself to be interviewed (just for local newspaper) ONE TIME in the mid-80s, and the reporter not only got some important facts wrong, she misquoted me several times inside quotes, as if I had said verbatim what she wrote. I never allowed myself to be interviewed again. Because of my experience I always give the interviewee the benefit when I read stupid statements. 

*Joe-speak: "with this ring I be wed."

Edited by Bobology
  • Upvote 4

The article implies that both parents will be available 24/7 minus date times, when neither parents will be tending to the kidlets. Only in Duggarville... Regardless, they had better stop at 2 kids, because even without jobs, after 2 kids, and in the absence of a third or more parent(s), the Duggars will need to adjust to a zone defense once that 3rd kid comes, late next year.

ETA- both J and K come off as plate lickers in this article.

Edited by SassyPants
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic