IGNORED

Joe and Kendra 13: Online Courting with Caldwell Semi-colons

Georgiana

Fundie personal ads are always such fun.  Especially when they contain nonsensical punctuation! Lauren Hope Caldwell is a prayer warrior and RICH blessing!  Apply today; and be courting in no time!

Continued from;

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 9
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

Some people think that prayer warriors literally fight off demons.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

I'm trying to think of a collection of prayer warrior related statuses

Prayer warrior for plexus 

Is all I have thus far 

• Haha 16
  • Love 2

The general idea of a prayer warrior goes back to late antiquity/early medieval Christianity. During these time periods, monks and nuns played an important social role by being devoted to perpetual prayer. These prayers were believed to ward off evil, bless the land, ensure peace and prosperity etc. All of the usual prayer warrior talking points. The Church Fathers, especially those living in the post-Constantine church, considered monks to be the natural successor to the martyr because they engaged in spiritual martyrdom through self mortification.

Until the fourteenth century or so, it was considered better to be a monk than a priest, because the former spent all his time in prayer like an angel, while the latter had to deal with the masses and their problems in the secular world. The idea of the priesthood as a separate caste didn’t really come to fruition until the late medieval period when the anxiety over the souls in purgatory led to a dramatic increase in the number of masses for the dead being said and many more priests being ordained within the monasteries to fill the demand.

• Upvote 18
  • Thank You 17
  • Love 2

Being a monk or (some) nun in the Middle Ages meant that you could work with, copy, or just use those lovely illuminated manuscripts... That would be where *I* wanted to work... although I'd probably have wound up in the scullery or laundry..

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

It's a pretty standard belief that there is literally a spiritual battle happening around us between the forces of good and evil. Some Christians believe that they too can play a big part in that battle through prayer. Here's the wikipedia page for "prayer warrior," though it's not a great article. I don't really agree with the suggestion that the belief in spiritual warfare is only within the context of Dominion theology, as I think it's broader than that.

I did have to laugh at the last paragraph.

Sarah Palin, the Vice-Presidential candidate for the Republican Party in the 2008 U.S. presidential elections, regularly acknowledges the support of prayer warriors in her speeches and interviews, and has spoken of them as offering a "prayer shield."[5] As a candidate, she thanked prayer warriors for their support[6] and spoke of divine intervention in the election as a result

We all know how that election turned out. If there was divine intervention it wasn't on behalf of the McCain/Palin campaign.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

Yes, spiritual warfare is present to some extent in many forms of conservative and even moderate Christianity. It makes some sense if you believe in a literal Devil and literal demons. Even the Vatican has protocol for performing exorcisms. I not suggesting exorcisms are in way common in the present day Catholic Church, merely that the protocol for performing exorcisms exists. 

• Upvote 8

16 minutes ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

Yes, spiritual warfare is present to some extent in many forms of conservative and even moderate Christianity. It makes some sense if you believe in a literal Devil and literal demons. Even the Vatican has protocol for performing exorcisms. I not suggesting exorcisms are in way common in the present day Catholic Church, merely that the protocol for performing exorcisms exists. 

I'd even say exorcism is mostly a Catholic thing. I know it's not actually a term that is exclusive to Catholics, but while the Christians I knew would talk about "casting out demons," they would never use the term "exorcism" as that was considered a Catholic ceremony.

Edited by Rachel333
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

5 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

I'd even say exorcism is mostly a Catholic thing. I know it's not actually a term that is exclusive to Catholics, but while the Christians I knew would talk about "casting out demons," they would never use the term "exorcism" as that was considered a Catholic ceremony.

Exorcisms are really popular in Pentecostal Christianity, especially in Latin America and Africa:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.kansas.com/living/religion/article148740224.html

They’re also growing in popularity among Catholics, also in Latin America and Africa:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vice.com/amp/en_in/article/xwnmza/exorcisms-rise-2019-pentecostalism-catholicism

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, Cleopatra7 said:

Exorcisms are really popular in Pentecostal Christianity, especially in Latin America and Africa:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.kansas.com/living/religion/article148740224.html

They’re also growing in popularity among Catholics, also in Latin America and Africa:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vice.com/amp/en_in/article/xwnmza/exorcisms-rise-2019-pentecostalism-catholicism

Right, casting out demons is definitely a big thing in Pentecostal Christianity, it's just literally the word "exorcism" that they'll stay away from because it's associated with Catholics. A lot of people on the outside don't make that distinction, but it's one that's important to a lot of Pentecostals. From the articles you shared:

The Rev. Al Mohler, president of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, wrote on his blog that Christians “do not need a rite of exorcism, only the name of Jesus.” He also wrote: “We are not given a priesthood of exorcists – for every believer is armed with the full promise of the Gospel, united with Christ by faith, and indwelt by the Holy Spirit.”

"[Exorcism] is still so popular in these churches, like The Universal Church of the Kingdom of God in Brazil, which reserves its Friday night services for exorcisms – though they don't call it that," says Dr Chesnut. "It's called 'liberation' or 'deliverance' instead."

He's clear that any discussion of exorcism needs to make an important set of distinctions. Catholic exorcisms are wrapped in centuries of tradition and accord to a rigid series of regulations. Though informal rituals do take place, they are rare and often undertaken behind closed doors. In theory, only an ordained priest or higher prelate can carry them out, and then only with express permission.

It's actually kind of a pet peeve for my dad to see Pentecostal characters on tv and in movies talk about exorcisms, because he says that shows that the writers don't really understand the culture they're trying to portray.

Edited by Rachel333
  • Upvote 7
  • Thank You 4

From what I understand For a Catholic priest to perform an exorcism it takes a  permission from high up with lots of red tape , investigation and requires special training so it’s very rare.For some reason I don’t think an enthusiastic prayer warrior from the Church of Jim Bob Duggar could face a demon.

Edited by tabitha2
  • Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

16 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

It's a pretty standard belief that there is literally a spiritual battle happening around us between the forces of good and evil. Some Christians believe that they too can play a big part in that battle through prayer. Here's the wikipedia page for "prayer warrior," though it's not a great article. I don't really agree with the suggestion that the belief in spiritual warfare is only within the context of Dominion theology, as I think it's broader than that.

I did have to laugh at the last paragraph.

We all know how that election turned out. If there was divine intervention it wasn't on behalf of the McCain/Palin campaign.

Maybe Obama's prayer warriors were better.

• Haha 10
  • Love 2

Sarah Palin's church in Wasilla was known for performing exorcisms (or perhaps "casting out of demons" but that's just another name for the same thing). They're Pentecostal. 

I don't know that I'd call belief in spiritual warfare standard.  I guess it depends on what you're used to.  It's not something most Catholic or mainline Protestant churches emphasize.  I'd consider a belief in a literal Devil who tries to ensnare people into sin through the mundane details of their lives to be pretty extreme, even if it isn't that rare.  But I also think people who insist on taking the Bible literally are extreme, YMMV.  

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

@Rachel333, do you know if the Pentecostal casting out of demons is a case of not try to throw out the baby with the bath water with regard to Catholicism? It reminds me of those Protestants who celebrate “Resurrection Sunday” rather than Easter. It doesn’t surprise me that someone like Al Mohler wouldn’t be down for exorcisms/casting out of demons, since the consensus among non Pentecostal/Charismatic conservative Christians is that dealing with demons in any form, even if you think you’re casting them out, is dabbling in the occult. This school of thought also thinks that speaking in tongues and other fruits of the spirit prized by Pentecostals and Charismatics is fake and demonic.

• Upvote 5

8 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

Sarah Palin's church in Wasilla was known for performing exorcisms (or perhaps "casting out of demons" but that's just another name for the same thing). They're Pentecostal. 

Have the church elders EVEN MET her?? Or her family?? Seems like the Palins would keep them plenty busy in that department...

• Haha 12

9 minutes ago, Nikedagain? said:

Have the church elders EVEN MET her?? Or her family?? Seems like the Palins would keep them plenty busy in that department...

I read a profile of her back when she was a real politician, and she was reading emails from her prayer warriors when she was supposed to be doing debate prep or something. The representative of the liberal media was horrified.

• Upvote 3

This is so crazy. I have never ever heard about anything even similar to this prayer warriors in my country. Not even from my grandmother- who live in rural parts where religion was still important and social pressure around congregations was still a thing till the 90s. So I have to ask: is this an USA thing as well?

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

These fundie "look at my single child" pleas just seem so counter to G-d providing - unless they think G-d will draw their futurespouse to instagram to see their picture. Like doesn't seem to me like trusting the Lord if you shove yourself in front of available fundie men. 

• Upvote 6

That Lauren Caldwell ad had just made me so sad. She is such a conventionally adorable teenager and she comes from a non-super-weird family and the Caldwell daughters seem to be trained to or just naturally agreeable. There is just no way she will get a chance to even consider life as an adult before she is married and pregnant. I hate pinning any hopes for breaking free on a husband-savior. Maybe she will be extraordinarily picky and be able to at least see the other side of 20 and maybe go on a trip with a non-relative friend to visit someone else out of state before she is handed off to the new headship. I'm not sure there is anything else to reasonably hope for with her.

• Upvote 21
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

And yet again, I have a song stuck in my head, thanks to FJ.

Ugh. Some parts of the 80s were cool, but other parts have a lot to answer for. :pb_rollseyes:

• Haha 9
  • Love 1

The Caldwell family posted more about Lauren on Instagram, apparently they had a party for her finishing her studies at SOTDRT. I guess they’re ready for her to “leave and cleave” now.

They also posted a few photos at some sort of fundie camp or retreat. Looks like Mrs. Caldwell and Michelle both spoke on a panel there. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

And yet again, I have a song stuck in my head, thanks to FJ.

Ugh. Some parts of the 80s were cool, but other parts have a lot to answer for. :pb_rollseyes:

I'm not sure if it was the drugs or the aqua net fumes that made us think these hair styles were a good idea. 

• Haha 11

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic