IGNORED

Joe and Kendra 13: Online Courting with Caldwell Semi-colons

Georgiana

"fun" fact about the chicken pox virus; the chicken pox virus never leaves once you've had chicken pox. Later on it can re activate (for whatever reason) to cause shingles which can be excruciatingly painful (and which may last for years) and which can cause other severe complications eg blindness. 

• Upvote 4

21 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

If parent can't afford the vaccine perhaps? 

In the US, all vaccines on the CDC vaccine schedule  are covered at 100% under the Affordable Care Act.  The chicken pox vaccine is on that list.  Those who are uninsured can get the vaccine from the health department for free or greatly reduced cost.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Born Skeptic said:

In the US, all vaccines on the CDC vaccine schedule  are covered at 100% under the Affordable Care Act.  The chicken pox vaccine is on that list.  Those who are uninsured can get the vaccine from the health department for free or greatly reduced cost.

That's good. I believe it should be. In the UK it's not free on the NHS for kids and cost around £140, in Denmark it's not free either and cost around £180. Rotavirus for kids is not covered in Denmark either and neither is the flu vaccine.

• Upvote 2

I want to apologize for what may have come off as a really condescending comment yesterday about the chicken pox vaccine. 

It was very much from a place of health care privilege (Canada) and it didn't even occur to me that any childhood vaccines wouldn't be subsidized. 

It's also a topic that sits near to my heart so I maybe could have been more tactful.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 7

Here the chicken pox vaccine is not covered but also not recommended by the goverment. After reading here I will consider getting them for both my children.

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, SassyPants said:

ETA- both J and K come off as plate lickers in this article.

what did they say? I can't read the article as I'm not in the US.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Knight of Ni said:

The sentence the “Joe isn’t as strict with his wife as he is with his son.”, doesn’t really sound good coming from them. If it was a couple from a different background then I would see it as a joke. But coming from them with their ideas on widely obedience and male authority, it really takes on a sinister meaning. They obviously meant it as a joke, but does it have some basis in truth?

I think it’s meant to be read as Joe is stricter with Garrett than Kendra is, not that Joe is strict with Kendra, too. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

59 minutes ago, closetcagebaby said:

I think it’s meant to be read as Joe is stricter with Garrett than Kendra is, not that Joe is strict with Kendra, too. 

After rereading the article I think you're right. I should make myself a jump to conclusions mat.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

I actually relate to Kendra on this one.  She's not my pet fundie and I'm not about to defend them on much of anything... but, for me going from one to two was an "easy" transition.  I had 2 under two and it really does feel like you're already in the trenches.  I think motherhood happens to agree with Kendra (a lucky shake in this cult), and she's probably going to be just fine adding another baby at this point.  I got a lot of "of you'll see" about adding the 2nd so soon, but it worked great for our family and my and my partner's personalities.  We waited another five years and are now adding number three and that feels pretty huge to me.  When they inevitable add the third right after the 2nd I think they will start to get overwhelmed. 

• Upvote 10
  • Love 2

On 10/30/2019 at 2:44 AM, LacyMay said:

The idea of chicken pox parties makes me want to scream. Why you would intentionally expose a child to a communicable disease with potentially severe complications when a vaccination exists is beyond me. 

Nowadays that's a good question! I know in my case, I was 13 when the vaccine came out. When I was little my parents just wanted to have all the kids get it together and get it over with I'm guessing. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, LancetteShing99 said:

what did they say? I can't read the article as I'm not in the US.

Here’s the link, plus one compelling (?) quote from Kendra highlighted below:

https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-moms/pictures/kendra-joseph-duggar-2-kids-under-2-should-be-smooth-transition/

Words of wisdom from Kendra about parenting two children after only having one:

“The adjustment part is always an adjustment.”

• Haha 3

For me personally, we are about to have baby number five but I found the transition from 1 to 2 to be the hardest. I was so overwhelmed going from a toddler to now balancing a toddler and newborn. It took a minute to find my bearings on it all. With time we got into a groove of how to raise two different age groups and the other transitions were easier because we had experience.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

18 hours ago, adidas said:

I hope so too. Anti-vaxxers are crazy, but this is next level psychopath shit.

• Upvote 3

My siblings and I all got chickenpox at the same time, so that was five kids whining and scratching at once, but the worst part was my six month old sister got measles at the same time.  It was a pretty scary time for my parents, as my sister had a pretty bad case of both.  I know that hospitalizing her was talked about, but it didn't happen.

Years later, I was running a home daycare and one of my kids got chickenpox.  The vaccine had been available for only a year, but I'd heard that a person had to renew it every ten years or run the risk of getting it as an adult, and I'd heard bad stories of what could happen when an adult got it.  I called up the parents of my daycare kids and told them that they could find other arrangements for care or let their kids get sick and I'd take care of them as usual.  

All of the parents opted to just let it happen.  I don't know if they thought that I knew better than they did, or they just figured that their kids would probably get it anyway since they were already exposed.  Fun times, dealing with ten kids with chickenpox.  It took two weeks before the disease ran its course.  I was constantly trying to keep them from scratching, applying ice, lotion, or giving them baths with bags of oatmeal floating in the water (something the doctors office said would help, no idea if it did more than make me feel like I was doing something proactive to deal with the situation).

Somehow, no one mentioned shingles.  I'd heard of it, but didn't really know much more than it was a rash.  I learned more about it when one of my kids developed it at the age of 14.  Luckily, her rash presented on her torso.  It was still painful for months after the rash disappeared, and for years afterwards the area was numb.  Her doctor says that she has to wait until she's in her 50's to get the shingles vaccine to prevent a second infection.

It's much worse if the rash is on the face.  One of my brothers got shingles on his face (years later, he didn't get it from my daughter) and the rash came right up to the corner of his eye.  If it had gone much further, he could have lost the sight in that eye.  Right after that, my mother got shingles, also on her face, but for her the rash started at the corner of her lip and moved toward her ear.  Both of them have since fully recovered.  Got to wonder if shingles is a family trait, as I know my maternal grandmother had it at least once, possibly twice.

Don't mess with chickenpox, get the vaccine and you'll be better off.

------------------

As others of a certain age range have mentioned, I also got the majority of my shots at school.  Once a year we'd line up and get whatever shots we required.  My mom loved it.  Sometimes we'd get a sugar cube that had the polio vaccine dropped on it.  Mom was a stickler for making sure we had the polio vaccine, as she got it when she was a child, and spent time in the hospital while sick.  She remembers there was an iron lung machine parked in the hallway outside her door in case she'd need it.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 5

On 10/31/2019 at 9:00 AM, Charliemae said:

I actually relate to Kendra on this one.  She's not my pet fundie and I'm not about to defend them on much of anything... but, for me going from one to two was an "easy" transition.  I had 2 under two and it really does feel like you're already in the trenches.  I think motherhood happens to agree with Kendra (a lucky shake in this cult), and she's probably going to be just fine adding another baby at this point.  I got a lot of "of you'll see" about adding the 2nd so soon, but it worked great for our family and my and my partner's personalities.  We waited another five years and are now adding number three and that feels pretty huge to me.  When they inevitable add the third right after the 2nd I think they will start to get overwhelmed. 

For me the jump from 1 to 2 was a very easy and smooth transition. I thought it would be difficult since we had a lot going on, we moved to a new state, my husband started a new job and couldn't take any time off (he literally drove me home from the hospital and went to work the evening shift). Our second baby was a terrible sleeper and had some pretty bad reflux issues that we had to get under control. But it really felt right and I didn't feel overwhelmed, just tired from time to time.

When our third was born 4 years later everything changed. It was a lot more difficult for me and I really just couldn't get into a groove for several weeks, even though she was really an easy going baby. But eventually we fell into a good routine and all was well in the world. 

We do have several friend that had 3-4 kids back to back and didn't seem to struggle with any of the transitions. So much of it depends on your lifestyle, your parenting style and how much outside help you can get. I also feel finances play a big role, everything is a lot more stressful when money is tight. 

• Upvote 6

6 hours ago, Flossie said:

. . . . giving them baths with bags of oatmeal floating in the water (something the doctors office said would help, no idea if it did more than make me feel like I was doing something proactive to deal with the situation).

Somehow, no one mentioned shingles.  I'd heard of it, but didn't really know much more than it was a rash.  I learned more about it when one of my kids developed it at the age of 14.  Luckily, her rash presented on her torso.  It was still painful for months after the rash disappeared, and for years afterwards the area was numb.  Her doctor says that she has to wait until she's in her 50's to get the shingles vaccine to prevent a second infection.

It's much worse if the rash is on the face.  . . . .

I had chicken pox at 3/4 (long before the vaccine was commonly available) but my memory of having them was being in the tub with oatmeal. Came out of it with a permanent scar on my eyelid and a love for baths. ?

I've had shingles twice-- at 30 something and 42. First time was on my back (felt like someone had beat me, not that I've been beaten but certainly what I imagine it would feel like). Second time was on my face, around my eye and nose. What really bothered me was that my lymph nodes swelled up. I took herpes medicine both times and I haven't noticed an lingering effects. My mom got them on her torso and has permanent nerve damage and still has a few random bumps pop up regularly. She was told to wait until the symptoms go away to get a shingles vaccine, now she's wondering when that will be. BTW- did not do the medicine. She did go see an urgent care doctor initially (when she had the pain but the rash hadn't broken out) but was misdiagnosed with a pulled muscle. I've encouraged her to see if she could get a dose of antivirals to maybe knock it out but she's not interested.

• Upvote 5

I got the chicken pox when I was 7, and it was the worst case anyone around me had seen.  I had them internally: nose, eyes, mouth, vagina, everywhere.  It was like torture.  I still have scars on my face from it.  Then I got shingles at 34.  

I really wish there had been a chicken pox vaccine to rescue me from this. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 9
  • Love 6

7 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

I got the chicken pox when I was 7, and it was the worst case anyone around me had seen.  I had them internally: nose, eyes, mouth, vagina, everywhere.  It was like torture.  I still have scars on my face from it.  Then I got shingles at 34.  

Oh hunny I hear you. I was the same and mine all got infected and all turned green. I looked like a swamp monster. Poor little 7 year old you xoxo 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 6

3 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

Oh hunny I hear you. I was the same and mine all got infected and all turned green. I looked like a swamp monster. Poor little 7 year old you xoxo 

Thanks!  Hugs to little you too! ?

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 3

14 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

There's a shingles vaccine now!

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shingles/public/zostavax/index.html

• Upvote 2

On 10/31/2019 at 7:42 AM, browngrl said:

"fun" fact about the chicken pox virus; the chicken pox virus never leaves once you've had chicken pox. Later on it can re activate (for whatever reason) to cause shingles which can be excruciatingly painful (and which may last for years) and which can cause other severe complications eg blindness. 

I remember being told it was good I had chicken pox as a kid because it meant I WOULDN’T get shingles. I’m sure that was the common thought, among lay people anyway. What I cannot understand is how that myth even developed, how did people not notice that the only people who developed shingles had also had chicken pox?

2 hours ago, oldfashionedgal said:

I remember being told it was good I had chicken pox as a kid because it meant I WOULDN’T get shingles. I’m sure that was the common thought, among lay people anyway. What I cannot understand is how that myth even developed, how did people not notice that the only people who developed shingles had also had chicken pox?

JB  told his kids that when they had chicken pox. I think I'm remembering that correctly. They were throwing up in styrofoam cups. No, that can't be rigjt. No one would film their kids feeling so miserable for national tv. Would they?

I had a shingles vac in 2016. Now I'm told that I need the "new" shingles vac in two doses at least a month a part.  I'm 70.  I need to get it at the pharmacy not the physicians' office and Medicare part D will cover the cost. I am hesitating though.  

22 minutes ago, Not that josh's mom said:

I had a shingles vac in 2016. Now I'm told that I need the "new" shingles vac in two doses at least a month a part.  I'm 70.  I need to get it at the pharmacy not the physicians' office and Medicare part D will cover the cost. I am hesitating though.  

I had the original vaccine too. I just got my second dose of the new one at the pharmacy. It isn't always in stock. Once my mom told me she got shingles, decision made. I also have an autoimmune disease and I don't need something else to cause  me pain.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic