IGNORED

Joe and Kendra 13: Online Courting with Caldwell Semi-colons

Georgiana

15 hours ago, JordynDarby5 said:

I got chicken pox over Christmas break when I was seven. It sucked. I couldn't go anywhere or do anything, I had to miss going up to my aunt's and uncle's and playing with my cousins for our annual get together, or go to Christmas Eve at Grandma's or Christmas dinner because some of my older relatives were there and hadn't gotten the chicken pox. I feel sorry for my poor dad who was stuck at home with me. He missed out on everything too and was stuck with a very cranky seven year old. He managed to stay cheerful and kept trying to cheer me up. I really don't know how he did it.

When my kids got them, one had them over Thanksgiving and the other over Christmas. Yep, I missed all the holidays that year.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

My mom didn’t get me the chicken pox vaccine or actually any vaccines at all! I got the chicken pox when I was 12 and it was pretty rough. Rougher still since it could have been completely preventable. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2

I'm 28 and never even knew there was a chicken pox vaccine until I read it here during my lurking days. My husband and myself had chicken pox as a kids, and we don't currently have any children. If our younger siblings ever got it, our parents didn't feel the need to tell us. Though, I think my mom said my brother didn't get it when I asked her, but I don't remember. I know we're vaccinated from everything else though. I must've been pretty young when I had chicken pox, maybe somewhere in the 6-8 year old range. I only have two short flashes of memory from then. One where I was at my grandma's house watching tv and I was itching my hand, and I looked down and there was a few spots ( I think this was the start of it), and going to my other grandma's one day while my mom went to work and complaining of being bored ( I'm assuming this was the peak of it) and my mom telling me my nana and I should spent the day connecting the dots. I didn't like that idea and told her that would take forever ? I think I remember feeling a little sick at that time as well, but I'm really not sure.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2

On 10/24/2019 at 1:17 PM, Thorns said:

In Norway the alternative and inclusive HalloVenn (Hello Friend) has been used the last couple of years, so that there is an alternative to the "pure and blatant American capitalism" of Halloween. (A tiny bit sarcasm on my side there.) Maybe that could be the fundie alternative. 

Interesting! What kind of activities do most participants do for it?

• I Agree 1
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, scoutsadie said:

Interesting! What kind of activities do most participants do for it?

The emphasis on trick-or-treat, scary stuff and walking around in small, exclusive groups is toned down, and usually replaced with larger more communal costume parties with shared candy and games :) The goal is that everyone can participate and not having to worry about who's walking with who, having a very done up house and being afraid of scary stuff all the time. A lot of churches have adopted this, and try to make it less about witches and evil and the supernatural stuff. 

Chicken pox vaccine is not common here in Norway. The good old visiting someone that has the disease so that the child gets it when young is though! 

• Upvote 5

I don't remember how I got chicken pox, but I have this bizarre memory of having some random kid come play with me when I had it. I've talked about this with mum once I became an adult and started learning more about vaccines and diseases. I believe it started when mum forced me to get the ebola flu shot that ended up with a lot of people getting narcolepsy. Thank God instead of going woowoo antivaxx I got well educated. But yeah, my mum told me that the 80s and 90s were a wild one, especially for SAMHs. There wasn't really good information, so what parents did were these chicken pox play dates. Some idiots even mailed lollipops that their sick child had sucked on.

I've gotten all of the mandatory vaccines my age group got here in Finland, plus the ebola vaccine and meningitis vaccine back when I lived on campus in Glasgow (it was recommended to people in the halls). Apparently when I was a smaller kid, I fainted every time I had my shots. I've never been afraid of needles, so I have no idea why I had such a reaction! I've had all of my vaccines lying down up until I had my Tetanus update at uni here in Finland. Didn't know people sat for vaccines up until then!

A friend of mine has had chicken pox three times during her lifetime. She's in her early 40s, and a year or two ago she ended up getting shingles on her eye. She's no longer allowed to drive. My friend is even angrier than I am at people who make fun of the chicken pox vaccine and refuse to get it over here. It's now part of the official vaccine programme for kids, so suck that you asstwats. Though, there's still people who refuse to vaccinate their kids or follow their own vaccine programme... a small city in Finland has a coverage rate of 70%. And that's fucking worrying. The same place is also known for parents making their kids drink shit like silver water. Everyone is SO confused as to why this has happened, but it's in a super religious area of Finland.

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 1

I had a mild case of shingles when I was about 30. I'm in my 50s now, and the vaccine is recommended for 50+, however, my insurance won't cover it until I am 60. 

My sister had a horrible case earlier this year---I don't know if most people realize how debilitating it can be.  :(

• Upvote 5

Yes, the shingles vaccine can be hard to find! I got the first one no problem but had trouble getting the second one within the 2-6 month window.  At month 4 I put myself on a call list at Walgreens and Safeway. Safeway called when they got some but couldn't hold it so I basically had to drop everything ang go get it right then!

The first one was fine but the second did make me feel achy and exhausted for about 24 hours.  I've had all the vaccines except chicken pox (had the real thing) and never had a reaction.  My doctor had warned me that over half the people feel crap after shot 2, but I was still surprised since it's not a live virus!

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 3

One of my clients got the shingles last December. She was in horrible pain for 2 weeks. Her only risk factor was her age. She regrets not getting the shot. I think she’s going to get it this year. 

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, Jana814 said:

One of my clients got the shingles last December. She was in horrible pain for 2 weeks. Her only risk factor was her age. She regrets not getting the shot. I think she’s going to get it this year. 

1 hour ago, Satan'sFortress said:

I had a mild case of shingles when I was about 30. I'm in my 50s now, and the vaccine is recommended for 50+, however, my insurance won't cover it until I am 60. 

My sister had a horrible case earlier this year---I don't know if most people realize how debilitating it can be.  :(

It can be so awful - a friend of mine had it on his neck and face for 6+ months. I am super anxious about it; had chicken pox as a kid, and have experienced some things that seemed to me to be very mild shingle-related symptoms.

I've been looking forward to being old enough to qualify for the vaccine - never occured to me that insurance might not cover it when it is recommended. That sucks! Thanks for mentioning it, @Satan'sFortress - will check with mine.

Edited by scoutsadie
riffles
  • Upvote 5

I suppose I could just google this but is the shingles vaccine something you should get every year like the flu shot or is it just once (or actually 2 shots from the sounds of it) and then you're protected for life?

ETA I know this isn't at all the same but after I typed this out I was thinking about how I had to get a series of rabies shots a few years ago because I got bit by a bat & we weren't sure if it had rabies or not. It was a series of 5 shots. The first series was 5 shots (then I had to go back 4 more times) the first 5 hurt SO SO bad!! I don't like needles but shots don't bother me but those were so painful! After the 2nd or 3rd I was sobbing so hard the dr said he'd let me calm down and then he'd come back & administer the last 2 for that day. I was so devastated to learn at the end of all that that if I walked out of the hospital and got bit by a rabid raccoon I'd have to turn right around & go through that all over again!! I just assumed I was safe from rabies forever! haha

Edited by mollysmom
  • Upvote 3
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, VanillaBean said:

Yes, the shingles vaccine can be hard to find! I got the first one no problem but had trouble getting the second one within the 2-6 month window.  At month 4 I put myself on a call list at Walgreens and Safeway. Safeway called when they got some but couldn't hold it so I basically had to drop everything ang go get it right then!

The first one was fine but the second did make me feel achy and exhausted for about 24 hours.  I've had all the vaccines except chicken pox (had the real thing) and never had a reaction.  My doctor had warned me that over half the people feel crap after shot 2, but I was still surprised since it's not a live virus!

Thanks for the information.  Currently on waiting list for shot #2.  Hope I don't get sick....

• Upvote 2

On 10/25/2019 at 6:23 PM, hollyfeller said:

Both of my parents have gotten shingles vaccines.  Shingles is nothing to screw around with!

I never had chicken pox. My sister did and so did most kids I knew back then. My doctor told me I probably did and should get the shingles vax. I’m hesitant to do so. The only to way know if I did or didn’t have them is to have a titer done. Insurance doesn’t cover it, though.

• Upvote 2

I work in a pharmacy. I haven’t been able to order Shringrix In over a year. It keeps saying backordered or wholesaler makes periodic deliveries. Basically you add it to cart and wait and see if you ever get it. People come in with shingles all the time. Since I’ve had chicken pox, it scares the living shit out of me. One patient got singles inside her eye. I scrub like crazy. I have Clorox and Lysol behind the counter at all times. 

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1

I accidentally gave chicken pox to my sisters birthday party guests. My parents did not know I had chicken pox that morning. After the party, my mother was helping me get ready for bed. She noticed the spots at that time. My parents then had to spend over an hour calling all the parents to deliver the news. I was also the first in my kindergarten class to have it. 

I would not wish them on anyone. I have severe eczema. It was so painful for me.

• Upvote 6

I was in the second grade and don’t remember much beyond being bored. And getting homework sent home for me.

My son- now age 6- has had all his vaccinations. Partly because I am a firm believer in vaccinations and herd immunity and partly because he was a preemie and I would never have forgiven myself if he had serious lasting issues because I skipped a shot.

that said- time for our flu shots 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 3

I never had the chicken pox. I was exposed twice, when my sister had it in the late 80s and then years later when my brother got it in the mid 90s. Both of my children had the vaccine at my our doctors suggestion.  

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

I work in a pharmacy. I haven’t been able to order Shringrix In over a year. It keeps saying backordered or wholesaler makes periodic deliveries. Basically you add it to cart and wait and see if you ever get it. People come in with shingles all the time. Since I’ve had chicken pox, it scares the living shit out of me. One patient got singles inside her eye. I scrub like crazy. I have Clorox and Lysol behind the counter at all times. 

I got lucky last year finding Shingrix, though I didn't feel lucky for at least a week after each shot - especially the second one.  Was in a supermarket and while passing the pharmacy just thought I'd ask if they had it.  I was fully expecting to be told no.  When I called a few months later about the second one they said they had it too and I rushed over.

Family members have had shingles multiples times, with some time spent in ERs.  I wonder whether my bad reactions were related to *severely* lurking shingles.  I don't have much of a problem with most vaccines.

• Upvote 3

I got my first Shingrix a few weeks ago in the local supermarket pharmacy - they had posters up saying they had it in stock so I jumped at the chance since I'd heard about the shortages.   It gave me a pretty sore arm but no other side effects.

• Upvote 2

Just out of curiousity I logged into my wholesaler to see the exact wording.

Shingrix 2 vials - 1 dose

Availability:
Manufacturer backorder - ---- may still be receiving periodic shipments. Until supply is sufficient to meet customer demand, -----will allocate customers based on a percentage of historical shipped quantity.
Date not provided by manufacturer

Basically means small independent places have no change of ordering it any time soon. If you guys need Shingrix, look for it in huge pharmacies. High traffic areas. 

• Upvote 4

Just out of curiousity I logged into my wholesaler to see the exact wording.
Shingrix 2 vials - 1 dose
Availability:
Manufacturer backorder - ---- may still be receiving periodic shipments. Until supply is sufficient to meet customer demand, -----will allocate customers based on a percentage of historical shipped quantity.
Date not provided by manufacturer
Basically means small independent places have no change of ordering it any time soon. If you guys need Shingrix, look for it in huge pharmacies. High traffic areas. 

Thanks so much for the information. We live in a rural area, and I know folks who have been waiting almost a year for it to be available here. I’ll pass the word.
  • Upvote 2

I got chicken pox on my Birthday in late 1993, my mom found the spots on my back while she was getting me ready for my party. 

I had *just* finished chemo 3 months earlier and was still immunocompromised soooo I had my party minus guests who hadn't had it and went straight to the hospital later to be admitted still in my party dress with not yet unwrapped presents in tow. 

Yeah. The universe loves me. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 3
  • Love 11

I had chickenpox when I was 5 and living with my family in the US. I remember it as itchy but ok, but my younger sister, who was a toddler at the time, had quite a bad case. My mother still talks about how awful and miserable it was.

For LittleJuly I went back and forth on whether we should do the vaccine. My first instinct was yes, but it's not part of the usual vaccination calendar here in Belgium, and lots of people decide to forego the vaccine and attend "chickenpox parties" instead. The reasoning is usually that chickenpox is "not bad" and you need to go through it to "build immunity".

My husband and I thought about it for a while and finally decided that we were going to do it because all things considered chickenpox is a very unpleasant illness, and I couldn't see a good reason why we would put our daughter through it. To be honest, if a vaccine against the common cold was viable, I'd go for that too. That my sister is still immunosuppressed from her stem cell transplant factored into our considerations as well.

Shortly after LittleJuly was vaccinated, we heard that the daughter of friends of ours, who is the same age, had to be hospitalised due to complications with chickenpox. She got sick because her parents had intentionally decided to let her play with another child that had chickenpox. The worst part is that the girl's mother is a licensed midwife and, albeit crunchy, not normally anti-vax.

• Upvote 8

Had Chicken pox aged 1 and a mild case of shingles at 12, I got anti biotics before it got the chance to fully develop but my face had swollen and it was painful. Chicken pox vaccine is not available here on the NHS but I would consider paying for it for any children. 

• Upvote 2

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic