IGNORED

Joe and Kendra 13: Online Courting with Caldwell Semi-colons

Georgiana

The chickenpox vaccine is not part of the battery of vaccines given in the UK. You can get it privately but most don't. I had chicken pox as a child. So did my brothers. My kids all had it in June this year. Not fun. My eldest barely noticed he had it but my youngest was covered and even had a pox in the corner of his eye. The middle child now has a tiny pox scar but in a well hidden place thankfully. Very glad to have it over with but hope they introduce the vaccine here soon.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

I actually got it in 7th grade I think that was 1995/1996.

I had the chicken pox in 1995, too, when I was 11- it was THE WORST. I only remember the itchiness, but my mom always reminds me that I was super sick, too. I ended up with several scars because I couldn't stop scratching.

• Upvote 4

22 minutes ago, therulesofjinx said:

I had the chicken pox in 1995, too, when I was 11- it was THE WORST. I only remember the itchiness, but my mom always reminds me that I was super sick, too. I ended up with several scars because I couldn't stop scratching.

One of my friends has 3 scars on her far head from the chicken pox. They are still their she’s 39 & she got the pox around the same time I did at the age of 4. 

• Upvote 4

@jana814 I have one on my forehead, too, centered right in between my eyebrows and one on my chin. I'm 35 (and a half!) and I don't foresee them ever going away.

• Upvote 4

42 minutes ago, therulesofjinx said:

@jana814 I have one on my forehead, too, centered right in between my eyebrows and one on my chin. I'm 35 (and a half!) and I don't foresee them ever going away.

One of my friend’s scares is also right in the center. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, therulesofjinx said:

I actually have a pretty big scar on the side of my boob from scratching so bad. There was one on my forehead but that seems to have gone away.

• Upvote 3

When is Kendra’s actual due date? Did she release it or did she give a general ‘late October’ ball park?

My kids didn’t get the chicken pox vax because it hadn’t been released before they got it. How long does the vax’s immunity last for?

• Upvote 1

Adult chicken pox. The sickest I have pretty much been in my whole life. Until the next herpes virus hit me. Bell’s palsy. Holy shit that knocked me too and for longer with permanent damage. 
I wish I had of gotten the vaccine for chicken pox. The little kids who gave it to me had the vaccine and got 6 spots....

I’ll be getting the shingles vaccine when I am older for sure  

all the herpes strains suck. Just quietly. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 6

My brother got chicken pox when he was really little, like less than 2 years old. Probably around 1990? He was one of the unfortunately ones that actually was really sick. Terrified our mom. So basically the second she heard of the vaccine she got me vaccinated. I would have been in preschool at the time. I actually checked my vaccine records and with the dates the vaccine was available in the US and it really was almost immediate. 

Edited by TuringMachine
  • Upvote 6

I too got the chicken pox vaccine at age 6 when I hadn't gotten chicken pox yet. Never got sick. My friend got shingles in 8th grade and said it was the worst pain of his (admittedly 13-year old) life.

I also have asthma and get my flu shot every year. After a particularly bad asthmatic episode triggered by SoCal fire season, my dr recommended I get the pneumonia vaccine too (even though I'm in my 20s). She started to go into the whole spiel and I basically just stuck out my arm. Very grateful for vaccines! Give me all of them! 

Edited by neurogirl
  • Upvote 8
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, adidas said:

When is Kendra’s actual due date? Did she release it or did she give a general ‘late October’ ball park?

She's due in November but afaik hasn't specified a date. According to Anna, Kendra is due first out of all the currently-expecting women. Duggar Data is estimating a due date of November 6th, which seems pretty solid.

I think she went 10 days early with Garrett, so she could really go any time now.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 3

I'm in my late 30s and I got the chicken pox vaccine in late high school or college (I don't remember specifically when) since I never got chicken pox as a kid and REALLY didn't want adult chicken pox. My dad got really bad shingles when I was a baby and we initially thought maybe I ended up immune due to exposure, especially since I didn't get it when it swept through my class in elementary and I was around multiple classmates before they were diagnosed. But when they tested me as a late teenager I didn't have any antibodies, so shot time for me! Having had multiple family members with shingles I'm glad I don't have that virus running through my system. Why put yourself at risk of chicken pox AND shingles if you can avoid it?

• Upvote 7
  • Confused 1

Somehow both my sister and I got the chicken pox, despite being vaccinated against it.  I don't think it was as bad as it would've been had we not gotten vaccinated, but I remember having to miss a week of first grade because of it.

• Upvote 4

The chicken pox vaccine wasn't a thing when I was a kid and I missed 2 weeks of school when I contracted it.  That was nearly 40 years ago and I can still identify a few scars.  Fortunately none on my face.

47 minutes ago, metheglyn said:

I'm in my late 30s and I got the chicken pox vaccine in late high school or college (I don't remember specifically when) since I never got chicken pox as a kid and REALLY didn't want adult chicken pox. My dad got really bad shingles when I was a baby and we initially thought maybe I ended up immune due to exposure, especially since I didn't get it when it swept through my class in elementary and I was around multiple classmates before they were diagnosed. But when they tested me as a late teenager I didn't have any antibodies, so shot time for me! Having had multiple family members with shingles I'm glad I don't have that virus running through my system. Why put yourself at risk of chicken pox AND shingles if you can avoid it?

Both of my parents have gotten shingles vaccines.  Shingles is nothing to screw around with!

• Upvote 4

I had chicken pox as a child in the fifties, so I had the original shingles vaccine 2+ years ago, just before the current two-step vaccine was available. Since it was a live virus inoculation and I take immunosuppressive medication, I followed the protocol for safe administration. Unfortunately, I did get shingles afterward. I have had nerve pain in the location of the outbreak for the past two years. It will last for up to five years and can be really miserable [emoji30]. So, when I got it again this summer, I was put on an anti-viral, which worked well. Last month I was able to take the first of the two shots of the new shingles vaccine. [emoji3] I can’t encourage you enough to get the vaccine. It may not readily available in your area (can’t get it here without an act of Congress), so check now if you are in the recommended age group.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

I got chicken pox over Christmas break when I was seven. It sucked. I couldn't go anywhere or do anything, I had to miss going up to my aunt's and uncle's and playing with my cousins for our annual get together, or go to Christmas Eve at Grandma's or Christmas dinner because some of my older relatives were there and hadn't gotten the chicken pox. I feel sorry for my poor dad who was stuck at home with me. He missed out on everything too and was stuck with a very cranky seven year old. He managed to stay cheerful and kept trying to cheer me up. I really don't know how he did it.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

So before the vaccine my mom tried to get me to catch it because her friend had it as a teen and it was horrible and she was worried about me not getting it until I was older but I never caught it even after being exposed so when the vaccine was readily available when I was 6 or 7 I got that instead. It was created earlier than that but we didn't have the opportunity yet. I have heard that some people have a natural immunity? But I don't know how factual that is... anyone have any insight?

Edited by Daisy0322
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MathQueen said:

can’t encourage you enough to get the vaccine. It may not readily available in your area (can’t get it here without an act of Congress), so check now if you are in the recommended age group.

Going to get my second one. This vaccine is crazy hard to find. Even my doctor has a hard time getting it. First one hurt like hell but I'd rather never have shingles. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 3

49 minutes ago, WiseGirl said:

Going to get my second one. This vaccine is crazy hard to find. Even my doctor has a hard time getting it. First one hurt like hell but I'd rather never have shingles. 

I got both doses of the new shingles vaccine last year and felt pretty bad after the first and was in bed for days after the second.  No regrets, though.  My family seems prone to shingles and I had chicken pox as a child.  I feel much safer now, in that regard.

• Upvote 5

I got the chicken pox in 1979 when I was 10 years old.  Unfortunately for me, I suffered a knee injury while skiing a few weeks earlier, so I was wearing a full leg (upper thigh to mid-foot) plaster cast at the time.  SO ITCHY.

• Upvote 6
  • Rufus Bless 5

47 minutes ago, Pibblesmiles said:

I got the chicken pox in 1979 when I was 10 years old.  Unfortunately for me, I suffered a knee injury while skiing a few weeks earlier, so I was wearing a full leg (upper thigh to mid-foot) plaster cast at the time.  SO ITCHY.

That much have sucked. Did you contract the chicken pox in the hospital?  I had a classmate who got the chicken pox in the hospital when he was their getting his ears pinned back. It was 1986 so I think he had to stay overnight after surgery. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 2

No, I caught it when it spread through my elementary school.  Thanks for the sympathy.  The misery is something you just don't forget.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

My brother got chicken pox less than ten days after I was brought home from the hospital. I was a preemie. My parents were terrified of me getting it. So we were completely isolated from each other and anyone in the house who had been with him was made to scrub down  before being in a room with me. They managed it and I never got it until I was in kindergarten. My brother had a bad case of chicken pox and got shingles a few years ago— in his late 40s. Before the shot is recommended. 

My cousin’s son got a horrible case of chicken pox at 18 months in 1998. He was swollen and had it internally, in his mouth, nose, eyes...everywhere.  He ended up on the hospital for four days. It was the worst I’ve ever seen. 

• Upvote 4

My brother got the chicken pox first (he was 7), and shared it with the rest of us (13, 4, 1). By Halloween, my brother was well enough to go trick-or-treating, but everyone else was sick.

Since I was a baby, I have no memories of it. The family story is that my face had so many pox on it, that you couldn't touch my face without touching a chicken pox. I have a few tiny scars on my face that I've had as long as I can remember, so I guess they might be from that.

My kids have both had the vaccine, but I can't remember if they need a booster, or if they already got the full series. Thankfully, the pediatrician's office and the state vaccinations registry keep track of it for me!

• Upvote 5

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic