IGNORED

Joe and Kendra 13: Online Courting with Caldwell Semi-colons

Georgiana

I’ve visited grandparents in ICU and I’ve been surprised, too, that there aren’t handwashing guidelines for visitors. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

VA hospitals CAN be sued for malpractice. I am suing the one here in Vegas. Military hospitals can't be sued for malpractice. There is currently legislation in process to change this. 

Thanks, that’s very helpful. His feeding tube getting into his lungs is pretty bad, right?

58 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Thanks, that’s very helpful. His feeding tube getting into his lungs is pretty bad, right?

Yup...but typical VA idiocy. I just got off the phone with a lawyer who specializes in suing the VA. My regular attorney didn't feel confident handling the case. 

I hate those MF'ers with a bloody blue passion. 

• Love 4

In general, US hospitals are moving towards more flexible visitor policies. They are increasingly allowing more open visitation in terms of who cam visit and when, with minimal restrictions in place for infection control, safety, and comfort of other patients. There is increasing recognition of the importance of social support networks, and hospitals allow things that would never happen 10-20 years ago. For the Duggar kids visiting Josie, I’m sure that was facilitated in part by a social worker, and was motivated by the very real risk that Josie wouldn’t survive. On the whole, the benefit of letting the kids meet their sibling was greater than the risk of infection with basic measures in place (all kids fever/symptom free, only oldest kids touched Josie, and they were gowned).

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 2

Over the years I worked in 3 Nicus  and 3 Picus. I did work in 1 strictly children’s facility. In that facility we only cared for the sickest of sick, so we only allowed kids <13 at the beside with a social worker present. This obviously had to be scheduled in advance. In the other facilities, 2 parents had to be present for kids < 13 and visiting hours were limited. There is no way any Duggar younger than Joy Anna should have routinely been parked at Josie’s bedside. Between Josie’s 2 unemployed parents, GMM, and the plethora of older siblings, a rotating visitor schedule could have been easily devised. Since JB and M had many other young children and another baby at home to care for, neither of them should have had the luxury of parking themselves at the bedside 24/7.

TLDR, young children Visiting in an ICU should be a rare exception. Parents can not focus on a critically child and be fully present for another child during this type of visit. An ICU is not Disneyland. A video can meet needs.

• Upvote 5

14 hours ago, mpheels said:

In general, US hospitals are moving towards more flexible visitor policies. They are increasingly allowing more open visitation in terms of who cam visit and when, with minimal restrictions in place for infection control, safety, and comfort of other patients.

I noticed this a year and a half ago when my mom had emergency surgery. I showed up at the ER at around 1:00 in the morning to see her and bring her some stuff. I did have to check in with security, but I just said I was her daughter and they said "OK" and brought me right back. I can't remember if I got a sticker or if they checked ID. The next day when I went to see her after her surgery, I didn't get a sticker or anything, they just brought me right back when she was in recovery and then I walked up to her room with her and was allowed to come and go from the room and wing as I pleased until she was discharged. No hand washing, no asking if I was sick, etc., and she was sharing the room with a very elderly woman who wasn't doing well. I was happy that it was super easy to get in to see her at all hours, but I found it very odd that I could just wander around the hospital all day...

3 hours ago, SassyPants said:

In that facility we only cared for the sickest of sick, so we only allowed kids <13 at the beside with a social worker present.

(I’m considering going back to school for social work and I’m intrigued by this) 
Were the sw’s there to help the sibling process seeing their very ill sibling?

• Love 1

1 minute ago, Giraffe said:

(I’m considering going back to school for social work and I’m intrigued by this) 
Were the sw’s there to help the sibling process seeing their very ill sibling?

Yes, and also as a Parental support system and additionAl set of hands, especially if there were multiple siblings visiting.

• Love 1

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic