IGNORED

Michaela & Brandon Keilen 5: She Goes By Michaela

HerNameIsBuffy

6 hours ago, llucie said:

I couldnt agree more, but its just unrealistic to expect all people to wear them in their own houses because there is no way for the police to enforce what people do in their houses. And as we have seen a lot of people dont even wear them in public, where you can get a fine if you are caught whithout a mask (at least in my country, i dont know if masks are mandatory by law in the USA at the moment).

No one is asking anyone to wear a mask in their own home. No one but the people that live there should be in the house. Masks are to be worn when social distancing can not be achieved. The problem is these people are snuggled up with people who don’t live with them and they aren’t using masks. So if they are exposed they in turn can expose anyone they come in contact with.

• Upvote 13

19 hours ago, grandmadugger said:

No one is asking anyone to wear a mask in their own home. No one but the people that live there should be in the house. Masks are to be worn when social distancing can not be achieved. The problem is these people are snuggled up with people who don’t live with them and they aren’t using masks. So if they are exposed they in turn can expose anyone they come in contact with.

I never said people shouldnt wear masks, just that it was unrealistic to expect people to wear masks in their own private properties when with family members. In an ideal world everyone would wear them at all times, because even people that you live with could potentially get infected (going to the supermarket or to work).

Edited by llucie
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, llucie said:

I never said people shouldnt wear masks, just that it was unrealistic to expect people to wear masks in their own private properties when with family members. In an ideal world everyone would wear them at all times, because even people that you live with could potentially get infected (going to the supermarket or to work).

I don’t think you are understanding what was said. I didn’t accuse you of saying masks shouldn’t be worn. We aren’t being asked to wear masks in our own homes here in the US. The problem is this was multiple households coming together and now going back to their own homes. The pictures show that they didn’t adhere to the current guidelines. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

13 minutes ago, grandmadugger said:

I don’t think you are understanding what was said. I didn’t accuse you of saying masks shouldn’t be worn. We aren’t being asked to wear masks in our own homes here in the US. The problem is this was multiple households coming together and now going back to their own homes. The pictures show that they didn’t adhere to the current guidelines. 

I never said they were in their own house, i just said it was a private residence and not a public space. I guess the current law depens on the country, where i live you are allowed to reunite with up to 15 people of different households, and if you are in a private residence masks are not mandatory, just in public spaces.

Didnt know the law in the USA was that strict? i had read mask were not even mandatory on the street in the USA and just a recommendation.

Edited by llucie
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, llucie said:

I never said they were in their own house, i just said it was a private residence and not a public space. I guess the current law depens on the country, where i live you are allowed to reunite with up to 15 people of different households, and if you are in a private residence masks are not mandatory, just in public spaces.

Didnt know the law in the USA was that strict? i had read mask were not even mandatory on the street in the USA and just a recommendation.

Laws are not strict, but many of us see wearing masks as a moral obligation. We know that we can spread the virus and show no symptoms. We know that others may experience extreme suffering from the virus. It's our moral obligation to help reduce the suffering of others. This is easily done by wearing a mask. 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 2

59 minutes ago, DarkAnts said:

Laws are not strict, but many of us see wearing masks as a moral obligation. We know that we can spread the virus and show no symptoms. We know that others may experience extreme suffering from the virus. It's our moral obligation to help reduce the suffering of others. This is easily done by wearing a mask. 

I wish I could like this 1,000 times. 

This is what frustrates me the most with the fundies I follow and the ones I know in real life. I was raised in a Christian home. I even dabbled in fundie light sect. The major thing I took from all the sermons that touched my heart was “The greatest of these is love. “ My obligation as a Christian is to love those around me. I am also a 4-H alumni and each meeting I pledged to help my community, my country, and my world. Right now I show love to those who I pledged to help so many years ago by wearing a mask and supporting businesses that are adhering to the guidelines. Why others have to be so obtuse about it boggles my mind. It is a small thing to do. A health director in my area said Friday “Wearing a mask isn’t a political statement. It’s the courteous thing to do, like chewing with your mouth closed or holding the door for an elderly person. “

• Upvote 15
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, DarkAnts said:

Wearing a mask is definitely a civil duty, i think it should be common sense to people to wear it when out and about. Sadly since its not the case for a lot of people i am happy they have made them mandatory in my country when in public. You still see people without them, but a lot less than when they were just a recommendation.

I dont think i have expressed myself correctly before, because a lot of people seem to think i am against masks or something when it couldnt be farther from the truth. I was one of those people that was already wearing them before it was law.

I was just talking about being around family and friends that you dont share a house with. Forbidding people from being around their family and friends its not a reasonable long term solution. This virus will not dissapear until we have a vaccine, and that can be years from now. Being only with members of your own household may work for some people, but what about people that live alone? you are supossed to not have any kind of physical contact with another human being? if you and your partner live in diferent houses then you are not allowed to see each other without a mask, not to kiss each other? you cant hug your friends? Its just unreasonable and doesnt make sense.

Edited by llucie
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, llucie said:

I was just talking about being around family and friends that you dont share a house with. Forbidding people from being around their family and friends its not a reasonable long term solution. This virus will not dissapear until we have a vaccine, and that can be years from now. Being only with members of your own household may work for some people, but what about people that live alone? you are supossed to not have any kind of physical contact with another human being? if you and your partner live in diferent houses then you are not allowed to see each other without a mask, not to kiss each other? you cant hug your friends? Its just unreasonable and doesnt make sense.

No one is saying you can’t see your family and friends though. They’re saying that if you do see family or friends outside of your household, wear a mask or stay 6ft apart. They’re also saying that if you’re from a very small household and you need more contact, you can merge with another household and not distance from them. So that solves the no physical contact/not being with your partner problem. But with everyone else you should still practice wearing masks and/or keeping a safe distance apart, especially indoors, where the risk of transmission is much higher than on the street. 

Michaela and Brandon are a small household, and I don’t think anyone would blame them if they formed a “bubble” with another (local) small household and masked/distanced with everyone else. But that’s not what they were doing. At all. 

ETA: And yes, that means no hugging your friends. But that is temporary and not the end of the world when we are all trying to survive a deadly disease. People can't expect life to go back to normal just because the pandemic is going to last a year or two. 

Edited by lumpentheologie
  • Upvote 12
  • Love 4

4 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

ETA: And yes, that means no hugging your friends.

Thank you.  Over 100,000 Americans are dead from this virus and I am sure each and every one of them is mourned by people who would love to hug them one last time.  And will never be able to again.

I get it that this is a huge inconvenience, no one likes it.  I am sure my grandparents were hugely inconvenienced by war rationing.  There were regions of Germany where after WWI they ate very little besides turnips and people starved in their homes.  Millions of people didn't chose to flee Ireland during the famine...they did so at great personal loss of both family and property because the alternative was death.

Just a handful of examples...sometimes life is going to be awful and inconvenient but as long as distancing is saving lives it's literally the least we can do.

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 5

The way fundies (and the Bates in particular) have coopted blackout Tuesday makes me so ragey.  The whole point of it was for white people to stop promoting their own shit and (at the very least) be silent or (ideally) promote/amplify black voices. And the Bates can't even post a black square indicating silence; they have to write on it and keep promoting their #alllivesmatter, right-wing agenda, while pretending at allyship.  I hate them so much. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

“We mourn the loss of the lives that have unjustly been taken recently,...” Recently?!? Does she have no knowledge of the history of racial violence and oppression in this country? Maybe she does and is just not thinking this through, but it’s not a good look. Either name George Floyd specifically and/or acknowledge the long history of injustice and theft of life based on race. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

42 minutes ago, Johannah said:

“We mourn the loss of the lives that have unjustly been taken recently,...” Recently?!? Does she have no knowledge of the history of racial violence and oppression in this country? Maybe she does and is just not thinking this through, but it’s not a good look. Either name George Floyd specifically and/or acknowledge the long history of injustice and theft of life based on race. 

I think these kind of vague statements keep them safe with the blue lives matter contingent...

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 4

On 6/4/2020 at 10:34 AM, lumpentheologie said:

The way fundies (and the Bates in particular) have coopted blackout Tuesday makes me so ragey.  The whole point of it was for white people to stop promoting their own shit and (at the very least) be silent or (ideally) promote/amplify black voices. And the Bates can't even post a black square indicating silence; they have to write on it and keep promoting their #alllivesmatter, right-wing agenda, while pretending at allyship.  I hate them so much. 

This is what enraged me, too! It shouldn’t have been a surprise, but I’m sometimes taken aback at just how selfish, cultish and devoid of empathy these people are. 

15 hours ago, Johannah said:

To the bolded: Kelly most certainly knows about the history of oppression of blacks and racial tensions in the US. She’s fairly educated and anything but dumb.

Additionally, she has at least one (might be two, I’m not sure) black sister, so should be aware of her own white privilege from personal experience and conversations with her sibling.

And lastly, she used to have a room dedicated to the confederacy in her home in which Gil and her displayed photos of people supportive of slavery and the KKK.

My verdict might sound harsh, but I mean it: Kelly Jo and Gil are scum! They can stick their sweetly smiling “servants hearts” up their a**** because when it actually matters, they take and promote the immoral route of division and discrimination. 

• Upvote 22
  • Love 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/4/2020 at 4:34 AM, lumpentheologie said:

Honestly, I saw this and I felt that she was trying to make this an anti-abortion post as well. She starts off telling people how precious life is and losing those taken. It's no secret that the Bates are pro-life and view abortion as murder (which it isn't). I think she was trying to do a post for Black Out Tuesday while tying in anti-abortion beliefs. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3

On 6/6/2020 at 6:05 AM, FluffySnowball said:

This is what enraged me, too! It shouldn’t have been a surprise, but I’m sometimes taken aback at just how selfish, cultish and devoid of empathy these people are. 

To the bolded: Kelly most certainly knows about the history of oppression of blacks and racial tensions in the US. She’s fairly educated and anything but dumb.

Additionally, she has at least one (might be two, I’m not sure) black sister, so should be aware of her own white privilege from personal experience and conversations with her sibling.

And lastly, she used to have a room dedicated to the confederacy in her home in which Gil and her displayed photos of people supportive of slavery and the KKK.

My verdict might sound harsh, but I mean it: Kelly Jo and Gil are scum! They can stick their sweetly smiling “servants hearts” up their a**** because when it actually matters, they take and promote the immoral route of division and discrimination. 

I think this is why BUB has had episodes that heavily highlight Kelly having two sisters who are black and adopted and accepted. It would not surprise me if producers were made aware of the "Southern Pride" room being displayed on their blog with an internet paper trail. That way if the infamous room ever came up in the tabloids, then they can use the episodes of the Bates family embracing her sisters as some form of back up. I have a feeling when UP decided to make a show featuring the Bates family they wanted to cover all of their bases after what happened with 19KaC (child molestation), Paula Deen (racism), and other shows that were cancelled due to scandals. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

So, I've been re-watching BUB while at home because I apparently have little to no life. While doing this a thought popped into my head about Michaella and Brandon moving back to Tennessee. For starters I do think that she is genuinely pursuing a nursing degree. But, the fact that they are moving back to Tennessee rather than staying where they are got to me. Anyway, we all know that Michaella and Brandon really want to have children. So, I've been wondering if their move back is a way to get on the show in an attempt to get more money and resources to pursue this route. Adoption and fertility depending on the route you go and insurance can be expensive and, lets face it, neither Michaella or Brandon have the jobs to support a more expensive route that would ensure they would have a child in the end. I am starting to really think that by moving back to TN and getting on the show to document their journey to parenthood they hope to get the child they've always wanted. 

Yes, I know it sounds like they are grifting a kid. However, I really sympathize with Michaella and Brandon on this issue. Both of them genuinely seem to love kids and Michaella was chief buddy to most of her younger siblings growing up. Plus, I don't think they will pull a Myka Stauffer and toss the kid if he or she has an issue. Just a thought stuck in my mind. Any thoughts? Also, I haven't seen the most recent season of BUB, so I don't know if this has been talked about on the show.

• Upvote 6

They’re dedicated cult members with vile beliefs. I hope they never get a child, unless that fact were to change drastically.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

15 hours ago, NancyDrewFan1989 said:

So, I've been re-watching BUB while at home because I apparently have little to no life. While doing this a thought popped into my head about Michaella and Brandon moving back to Tennessee. For starters I do think that she is genuinely pursuing a nursing degree. But, the fact that they are moving back to Tennessee rather than staying where they are got to me. Anyway, we all know that Michaella and Brandon really want to have children. So, I've been wondering if their move back is a way to get on the show in an attempt to get more money and resources to pursue this route. Adoption and fertility depending on the route you go and insurance can be expensive and, lets face it, neither Michaella or Brandon have the jobs to support a more expensive route that would ensure they would have a child in the end. I am starting to really think that by moving back to TN and getting on the show to document their journey to parenthood they hope to get the child they've always wanted. 

Yes, I know it sounds like they are grifting a kid. However, I really sympathize with Michaella and Brandon on this issue. Both of them genuinely seem to love kids and Michaella was chief buddy to most of her younger siblings growing up. Plus, I don't think they will pull a Myka Stauffer and toss the kid if he or she has an issue. Just a thought stuck in my mind. Any thoughts? Also, I haven't seen the most recent season of BUB, so I don't know if this has been talked about on the show.

I doubt Brandon wants a kid (he loooves quiet life and seemed ok with infertility) and I think he is pushing Michael to be content with *God's will* AKA infertility. As praying sadness away wasn't working, she has been encouraged to get a degree that fills her heart and keeps her busy.

A nursing degree is not cheap and at the beginning of the career, salaries are not great (plus have to pay student loan), so it's not a good way to save money for adoption. If they were saving for an adoption, she would be working right now. 

They moved to Tennessee because apparently the less expensive nursing degree was there. We all thought she was coming back to raise her little siblings, but she seems to have a very private life. Brandon does not like Bates' noise and mess, so probably tries to avoid a close relationship.

Brandon and Michaela are very strict people and very kool-aid fundies. I do not wish them a child until they show a more flexible, gentle approach to parenthood. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

I doubt Brandon wants a kid (he loooves quiet life and seemed ok with infertility) and I think he is pushing Michael to be content with *God's will* AKA infertility. As praying sadness away wasn't working, she has been encouraged to get a degree that fills her heart and keeps her busy.

A nursing degree is not cheap and at the beginning of the career, salaries are not great (plus have to pay student loan), so it's not a good way to save money for adoption. If they were saving for an adoption, she would be working right now. 

They moved to Tennessee because apparently the less expensive nursing degree was there. We all thought she was coming back to raise her little siblings, but she seems to have a very private life. Brandon does not like Bates' noise and mess, so probably tries to avoid a close relationship.

Brandon and Michaela are very strict people and very kool-aid fundies. I do not wish them a child until they show a more flexible, gentle approach to parenthood. 

Thanks for the input. I just really feel bad for Michaela. Out of all the Bates children she really seems to long for a child of her own and has a heart for them. I just wonder if Michaela and Brandon are going to use some of the resources they have in order to pursue parenthood. Honestly, I know they view it as God's will and all. But, I just have a feeling they are going to go a different route to have at least one child. 

• Upvote 4

And every other year she has to watch a sibling she helped raise...have a baby in less than a year of marriage. I feel awful for her. That's why I'm not happy about Katie being in a courtship. Next year she could be married by Labor Day. What's more sad is EVERYONE knows the reason Michaela is becoming a nurse is she has time and can't have a baby. But a big plus is she is NOT getting educated at Crown! If the younger siblings decide they want higher education at a "conservative" school, there are plenty of others to choose from.

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, Tangy Bee said:

And every other year she has to watch a sibling she helped raise...have a baby in less than a year of marriage. I feel awful for her. That's why I'm not happy about Katie being in a courtship. Next year she could be married by Labor Day. What's more sad is EVERYONE knows the reason Michaela is becoming a nurse is she has time and can't have a baby. But a big plus is she is NOT getting educated at Crown! If the younger siblings decide they want higher education at a "conservative" school, there are plenty of others to choose from.

That is the most heartbreaking thing for me with Michaela. Out of all the siblings she got screwed. Kelly at times would allude to Michaela going out of her way to take care of the little ones for their sister moms whenever she could. She is becoming a nurse because she can't have kids. 

Also, it wouldn't surprise me if Michaela (basically) helps  finishes raising the youngest Bates children from Callie to Jeb. Most of the sister moms have moved out, the live at home sons are pursuing their own careers, and it looks like Katie will be leaving soon. Gil and Kelly haven't really done much parenting for their youngest kids as a sister mom was always there. Well, it looks like they are losing the last one. Michaela was chief buddy for all the younger ones and living closer to home, even with a school work load and being married, Gil and Kelly are going to take advantage of every chance they have for her to reenter sister mom role.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

4 hours ago, NancyDrewFan1989 said:

That is the most heartbreaking thing for me with Michaela. Out of all the siblings she got screwed. Kelly at times would allude to Michaela going out of her way to take care of the little ones for their sister moms whenever she could. She is becoming a nurse because she can't have kids. 

Also, it wouldn't surprise me if Michaela (basically) helps  finishes raising the youngest Bates children from Callie to Jeb. Most of the sister moms have moved out, the live at home sons are pursuing their own careers, and it looks like Katie will be leaving soon. Gil and Kelly haven't really done much parenting for their youngest kids as a sister mom was always there. Well, it looks like they are losing the last one. Michaela was chief buddy for all the younger ones and living closer to home, even with a school work load and being married, Gil and Kelly are going to take advantage of every chance they have for her to reenter sister mom role.

As Michaela's headship (disgusting, but their belief), I wonder if Brandon will let Michaela finish raising her younger siblings or if he'll insist that she stay home and study.

• Upvote 8

10 hours ago, NancyDrewFan1989 said:

I don't think it's possible to study a degree, be a keeper if her own house, have quality time with Brandon and raise siblings. In addition, while Brandon is often pictured with baby nephews and nieces, does not seem close to in-laws. In old videos he looked absolutely annoyed with Bates. They probably visit Gil and Kelly, and babysit sometimes, but I doubt Michael is involved in a daily basis. 

Edited by Melissa1977
Spelling
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

16 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

As Michaela's headship (disgusting, but their belief), I wonder if Brandon will let Michaela finish raising her younger siblings or if he'll insist that she stay home and study.

I have a feeling both. Depending on the study route Michaela takes she can balance her time. I have a feeling she is going to be a regular babysitter again at her parents.

10 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

I don't think it's possible to study a degree, be a keeper if her own house, have quality time with Brandon and raise siblings. In addition, while Brandon is often pictured with baby nephews and nieces, does not seem close to in-laws. In old videos he looked absolutely annoyed with Bates. They probably visit Gil and Kelly, and babysit sometimes, but I doubt Michael is involved in a daily basis. 

I know a few people who were able to study for a degree, keep a house, raise children, work full time, and have time for their significant other. Their schedule was crazy and I don't know how they did it as they were constantly on the move. There are programs online where they allow you to have a flexible schedule. Yes, Michaela will have to do all of the required in person internships and be present in class. However, there are a few programs she can enter where the majority of course work can be done online that fits her schedule and only one or two in person classes a week. One of the people who I know managed to complete her nursing degree this way. Honestly, I don't know how she managed it, but she succeeded after four years. 

• Upvote 6

On 7/8/2020 at 12:01 PM, NancyDrewFan1989 said:

Out of all the Bates children she really seems to long for a child of her own and has a heart for them.

She praises her parents despite their support of the Pearls and she is still deep in a cult which has documented cases of child abuse...not to mention the cult's stated intention of limiting the education and opportunities for the children, especially girls.

I would much rather she be upset about being childless than to have another child born into a culture of abuse.  

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic