IGNORED

Michaela & Brandon Keilen 5: She Goes By Michaela

HerNameIsBuffy

Continue from here...

Can't find a funny line in a Michaela thread...just page after page of bummer.

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 2
  • Sad 2
  • Love 1

They aren’t a humorous couple. They seem serious much of the time. It’s not bad to be a serious couple. They are just different from a lot of the other Bates couples. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

They aren’t a humorous couple. They seem serious much of the time. It’s not bad to be a serious couple. They are just different from a lot of the other Bates couples. 

I don't think any of them are humorous couples.  I was referring to the snark - usually I can grab a funny line of snark in a page or two but with Michaela it's just either thread drift or pity.

Kind of telling that her threads, when about her, are almost 100% about her struggles with infertility.  I don't watch the show so maybe that is the only story arc she gets, but it's sad that even on FJ she's reduced to her reproductive function.

I'm not blaming FJ as it's due to their pregnancy worshiping culture, but it's a real shame that there isn't more to say about a young woman who puts her life on TV except the contents, or lack there of, of her uterus.  

• Upvote 15

25 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I don't think any of them are humorous couples.  I was referring to the snark - usually I can grab a funny line of snark in a page or two but with Michaela it's just either thread drift or pity.

Kind of telling that her threads, when about her, are almost 100% about her struggles with infertility.  I don't watch the show so maybe that is the only story arc she gets, but it's sad that even on FJ she's reduced to her reproductive function.

I'm not blaming FJ as it's due to their pregnancy worshiping culture, but it's a real shame that there isn't more to say about a young woman who puts her life on TV except the contents, or lack there of, of her uterus.  

I respect that she has a legit business of her own (not an MLM like so many other fundies) that showcases her talent in sewing. I am also glad she’s able to pursue a nursing degree (with the permission of her headship of course). I believe she would make a good nurse. I could see her working in labor and delivery, the NICU, or in a pediatrician’s office. She also doesn’t conduct herself like some of her sisters. Carlin is so snarkable. There really isn’t much to snark on Michael due to her straight forward and honest personality. And her husband seems incredibly boring to me. She’s much more interesting imo. But there is very little to snark on. Except maybe those matching frumpers she used to make. 

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 5

52 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

well she isn't on the show much living far away now that she's moving back to Tennessee I'm sure we'll see a lot more of her. but yes most of the time when she's on it's an infertility storyline, or she has the siblings at her house 

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Except maybe those matching frumpers she used to make. 

Even those, I'm sure the patterns were an edict from Kelly.  At least Michaela made clothing...if it were up to me I'd have cut swaths of fabric and put everyone in toga's tied at the shoulder and have been done with it.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 10
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I respect that she has a legit business of her own (not an MLM like so many other fundies) that showcases her talent in sewing. I am also glad she’s able to pursue a nursing degree (with the permission of her headship of course). I believe she would make a good nurse. I could see her working in labor and delivery, the NICU, or in a pediatrician’s office. She also doesn’t conduct herself like some of her sisters. Carlin is so snarkable. There really isn’t much to snark on Michael due to her straight forward and honest personality. And her husband seems incredibly boring to me. She’s much more interesting imo. But there is very little to snark on. Except maybe those matching frumpers she used to make. 

Yeah. Michael isn’t the type of person who really offers much to snark on. Part of that is because she’s much more private about what she shares than her siblings are. I can respect that she (and Brandon too) doesn’t want to share every single part of her life with the public, even though I seriously disagree with her beliefs.

I’m not sure about her working in NICU (or PICU) though. It’s nothing against her specifically, but as a former NICU parent the last thing I would have wanted to deal with is a Nurse who might run the risk of preaching at me about Jesus. You have enough to worry about if you end up in NICU without someone taking advantage of you in a vulnerable moment, you know? We don’t know much about Michael and we don’t know if she’s the type of person who would do that while on the job. I like to think she wouldn’t and I feel a bit bad about doubting her since she seems to take work and school very seriously, but it’s definitely still a possibility and I don’t like to think of other NICU families having to deal with that kind of crap. 

I do think she’d do well working somewhere like Dr. Vick’s office though - a place that seems to cater mostly to Christian women who likely wouldn’t mind if on the slim chance Michael did speak religious to them. I don’t know if it would be a good fit given her battle with infertility though. Same with working in Labor & Delivery or in a hospital nursery - it might cause her more emotional harm or it could be healing for her to help other women welcome children into the world. It really depends on who she is as a person. She might be best off in a Pediatrician’s office, working as a School Nurse at a suitably religious Christian school, or working at a non-pediatric medical office. 

It'll be interesting to watch the Keilen’s journey moving forward. They’re definitely one of the more interesting couples because they’re so private and just seem different from the rest of her family. Their struggle to build a family makes me sad for them because I know they must be hurting (even as I’m glad more kids aren’t being brought up in IBLP), but I also think it could open up some opportunities for Michael specifically that likely wouldn’t have been possible if they had children already. I hope they’re both as happy as they can be with how life is now and they continue to find happiness as the years go by.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

Just jumping in to say that Alyssa’s mother’s day message seemed quite respectful of people who have problems in the whole pregnancy department. I’d assume she worded her post this way specifically with Michael (infertility) and Erin (miscarriages) in mind. 

Dont get me wrong though, that’s no endorsement of her or her beliefs in any way, but what came to my mind when I checked out her Instagram. 

F0D3E5D3-5F0F-40F9-930D-2CC45010AC7A.png

Edited by FluffySnowball
  • Upvote 10
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

I think the producers don't quite know what to do with Michaela and Brandon. They are probably very happy to have something else to show about them in the future other than her struggles to have a baby. Now the show will have storylines of her in school and him adjusting to life in the hills of Tennessee. 

Part of the issue is that most of the sons-in-law for Gil and Kelly Jo are more hands-on and handy. You've got a guy who does construction, a plumber, an electrician (whatever level Evan's at), an HVAC guy, etc. Bobby might have studied ministry, but he's more active in regard to working at summer camps, doing maintenance tasks, etc. Gil knows how to relate to them because they are useful to him. Brandon's skill set is different than the other guys. He's good at videography, photography, writing, illustrating, etc. It doesn't mean that he's a bad guy. But it is probably harder for him to fit in with the gang. 

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 8

I wish the best for Michaela, and I hope she loves her new career path.  I still maintain that I'm worried about Brandon and Michaela moving to TN because I fear her family will take advantage of her.  She needs time to study and focus.  Good luck, Michaela!

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is pure speculation. 

One of the Bates’ (I think it was Erin) posted an Instagram story during the rehearsal dinner. A moment was focused on Brandon and Michaela. It looked like there might be a bump. Then she seemed to realize they were being recorded and she pulled Brandon’s arms around her to cover her abdomen. 

If there is anybody in these fundie families I hope is/will be pregnant, it is her. I know how it feels to be the infertile one in a super fertile family. My heart goes out to her and I hope I’m right. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 11
  • WTF 3
  • Love 2

On 5/16/2019 at 12:33 PM, NoKidsAndCounting said:

I wish the best for Michaela, and I hope she loves her new career path.  I still maintain that I'm worried about Brandon and Michaela moving to TN because I fear her family will take advantage of her.  She needs time to study and focus.  Good luck, Michaela!

I am still shocked both she and Tori returned home at the same time. If they help with Bates Gen 2C, I am sure Kelly offered $$$. That would be bonus for both show and home life.

53 minutes ago, pugglemama said:

One of the Bates’ (I think it was Erin) posted an Instagram story during the rehearsal dinner. A moment was focused on Brandon and Michaela. It looked like there might be a bump. Then she seemed to realize they were being recorded and she pulled Brandon’s arms around her to cover her abdomen. 

If there is anybody in these fundie families I hope is/will be pregnant, it is her. I know how it feels to be the infertile one in a super fertile family. My heart goes out to her and I hope I’m right. 

Maybe she pulled Brandon's arm around her because she still isn't pregnant and she didn't want people inspecting and speculating about her not-perfectly-flat stomach.

• Upvote 38
  • Thank You 5
  • Love 3

2 hours ago, pugglemama said:

Michael is absolutely steeped in the koolaid. I get that infertility sucks, but seriously: don't wish all of this fundamentalist shit on an innocent child.

• Upvote 26
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

Michael is absolutely steeped in the koolaid. I get that infertility sucks, but seriously: don't wish all of this fundamentalist shit on an innocent child.

I love you.

• Upvote 14
  • Love 2

9 hours ago, pugglemama said:

First of all, can we not with the constant body scrutiny of young women? Especially one who has made it extremely clear she’s struggling with some sort of infertility? It’s gross and feed into stereotypes about how women “should” have perfectly flat stomachs at all times. 

Secondly, exactly what @CaptainFunderpants said. Don’t wish their cult and their beliefs upon an innocent child. Instead, hope that they find happiness and contentment as their lives are regardless of whether or not they have children of their own. 

• Upvote 14
  • Downvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 1

I don’t. She and Brandon just left working at cult headquarters. If anyone is steeped in IBLP and poised to move this cult to new generations it is those two. I don’t wish that on any kid, especially a girl.

Edited by nelliebelle1197
  • Upvote 18
  • Love 2

I know what you are refering too, i saw that but i actually thought they did that gesture because romantic music was in the background playing and it was a romantic embrace. I thought it was kind of awkward, but they are an awkward couple. It was kind of cute too. And to me she doesnt look any diferent so i wouldnt speculate on a pregnancy based on that.

Edited by llucie
  • Upvote 7

41 minutes ago, llucie said:

I know what you are refering too, i saw that but i actually thought they did that gesture because romantic music was in the background playing and it was a romantic embrace. I thought it was kind of awkward, but they are an awkward couple. It was kind of cute too. And to me she doesnt look any diferent so i wouldnt speculate on a pregnancy based on that.

I agree with you. I saw it too and it looked like a typical Michaela move. She has always been pretty touchy-feely with Brandon so I wouldn't read into it.

• Upvote 6

I saw it on a different website. To me it locked completely different. She only took his arms when she realised she was filmed and plastered a huge smile on her face. When he took his arms away again she grabbed them back. He looked slightly annoyed. To me it was more that she felt she had to portray how happy and in love they are and not to cover her stomach areas. It definitely looked weird though because it was clearly forced for the camera.

• Upvote 5

I don’t wish for Michaela to Bring another another IBLP raised child into the world.If she desires to be a mother there are always girls even in fundamentalism who end up not being able to keep a baby  for whatever reason and would be very happy for a well off “famous”  family like the Bates to adopt from them. 

Edited by tabitha2

FYI to anyone who is a friend or family member to someone going through infertility: infertility causes weight gain. Sometimes it is bloat or gain from treatment. Sometimes it is a side effect of the stress or depression. Sometimes it is bloat or gain from the underlying causes of the infertility.

I went caffeine, soda, and alcohol -free the past couple months as I was preparing for IVF. I felt nauseous during IVF stims, but I also felt nauseous back on clomid and letrezole (earlier interventions that someone like Michael might be open to) so I would eat saltine crackers and suck on peppermints like some women do in pregnancy. I also gained about 5 pounds during ivf and the bloat was real and made me look like I was pregnant. But I definitely wasn't.

Scrutinizing people's behaviors only gives you one side of the picture and assumptions only hurt the person you care about who is struggling. When someone wants you to know they are pregnant, they will tell you. 

• Upvote 22
  • Love 14

On 5/12/2019 at 7:26 AM, HerNameIsBuffy said:

The saddest most backasswards part of this entire scenario is the Bates are not anti -education or even working (aside from GIl). Why doesn’t MK have a paying job aside from the show? She is an educated adult, so why isn’t she working? What is a woman in their culture supposed to do  if God has decided she will have zero children?

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

The saddest most backasswards part of this entire scenario is the Bates are not anti -education or even working (aside from GIl). Why doesn’t MK have a paying job aside from the show? She is an educated adult, so why isn’t she working? What is a woman in their culture supposed to do  if God has decided she will have zero children?

She's going to nursing school.

• Upvote 2

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic