IGNORED

Michaela & Brandon Keilen 5: She Goes By Michaela

HerNameIsBuffy

3 hours ago, indianabones said:

Her eyes also changed color from blue to brown in the past year, apparently.

It's the lighting. The nurse photo has a weird brownish filter. 

• Upvote 4

Good for her for actually seeing this through and attending an actual, accredited school. 

She said the future is uncertain for her, but hypothetically what could she do with this qualification? Did we ever find out if she was studying to be and RN or PN? 

• Upvote 5

6 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

Well she is graduated. Ancient uniform and all. Did she go to a fundie school for nursing? 

5D3F661F-61F1-46E5-B5CC-9751FEEAD169.png

Nursing students at many colleges and universities have what is called a pinning and hatting ceremony. It is actually a lovely ceremony where the nurses wear the more old fashioned white uniform and are welcomed to the world of nursing by their professors and sometimes mentors from local hospitals and doctors' offices.  The professor or whoever pins a specific pin for the college or university - sometimes with the graduate's name on it) - and a hat is either pinned in their hair. It is a ritual that is looked forward to by many nursing grads even more than graduation because it is specific to them. Sometimes there is a candlelight portion and there are poems, songs, etc. that mean something to that class of graduates.  

I did photography for one such nursing program's ceremonies for about three years in a row. Many of the graduates and their families were in tears by the end (good crying) because it was such a personal experience. When the professor would pin the student, he or she would talk about that student in a way that was clear the class really did know each other and bond. 

I don't remember all the meanings and symbolism, but the hat's corners all mean something, etc. 

Other health sciences programs did try to do similar programs, but it was not quite the same feel. 

• Upvote 14
  • Thank You 18
  • Love 6

My daughter J did the capping/pinning thing with the old fashioned white uniform/cap when she graduated from nursing school with her RN. For her BSN she wore a regulation graduation type cap and gown, the same as she will wear for graduation from her MSN. 

• Upvote 13

13 hours ago, HideousGreenShirt said:

Good for her for actually seeing this through and attending an actual, accredited school. 

She said the future is uncertain for her, but hypothetically what could she do with this qualification? Did we ever find out if she was studying to be and RN or PN? 

She said she has her LPN qualification -- Licensed Practical Nurse. I'm not sure what scope of practice that permits in Tennessee.

I'm still very happy for her that she's bucked the cult for long enough to get a useful qualification and I hope that she now either finds a job she loves, or continues her education, or (even better) both.

I also hope that this serves as a model for her nieces and younger sisters in the future: they have options other than Crown College's cosmetician programs. I'm not disrespecting those: Josie has a nice little side gig there with her wedding styling, Katie's nail certifications are apparently lucrative as well, and if those two were left high and dry and responsible for supporting themselves and any children, they have marketable skills. But I'd like the younger Bates girls to be able to make choices that respect their own personal skills and talent and not be restricted to just one area of study or educational institution, and every older Bates who chooses her own path gives her younger relatives more options.

• Upvote 20

14 hours ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

Nursing students at many colleges and universities have what is called a pinning and hatting ceremony. It is actually a lovely ceremony where the nurses wear the more old fashioned white uniform and are welcomed to the world of nursing by their professors and sometimes mentors from local hospitals and doctors' offices.  The professor or whoever pins a specific pin for the college or university - sometimes with the graduate's name on it) - and a hat is either pinned in their hair. It is a ritual that is looked forward to by many nursing grads even more than graduation because it is specific to them. Sometimes there is a candlelight portion and there are poems, songs, etc. that mean something to that class of graduates.  

I did photography for one such nursing program's ceremonies for about three years in a row. Many of the graduates and their families were in tears by the end (good crying) because it was such a personal experience. When the professor would pin the student, he or she would talk about that student in a way that was clear the class really did know each other and bond. 

I don't remember all the meanings and symbolism, but the hat's corners all mean something, etc. 

Other health sciences programs did try to do similar programs, but it was not quite the same feel. 

One of the Mueller daughters had one and you’re absolutely right is a fun and sweet ceremony to go to. Michael should be proud. 

http://muellermice.blogspot.com/2019/05/pinning-and-graduation.html

• Upvote 7

On 9/3/2020 at 11:07 PM, AussieKrissy said:
Well she is graduated. Ancient uniform and all. Did she go to a fundie school for nursing? 
5D3F661F-61F1-46E5-B5CC-9751FEEAD169.thumb.png.ead46bdd911d1dc46dacdc474d999684.png

She went to a fundie school, I believe with a year of education, she is going to be a licensed practical nurse (LPN) vs a registered nurse (RN), which requires more schooling. She gets more grunt jobs and limited promotional ops.

Edited by Coconut Flan
Removed signature.
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

19 hours ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

Nursing students at many colleges and universities have what is called a pinning and hatting ceremony. It is actually a lovely ceremony where the nurses wear the more old fashioned white uniform and are welcomed to the world of nursing by their professors

What about the men who graduate? What do they wear? 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

I thought she went to a regular secular nursing school. I wonder if she’ll keep going for an RN? I kind of doubt it, but if they don’t have plans for adoption soon I could see her doing that instead of immediately getting a job as an LPN.

I would just like to say that I am pleased she feels free to show some collarbone in her graduation photo instead of squishing a t shirt underneath a la Anna Duggar and her girl children. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

I remember seeing a comment where she said something along the line that she would like very much to keep going for an RN, but for now, she wants to pass an exam (I don't remember now the name) and then prays about more studying. If she chooses to go for an RN degree how much does she still have to study? Will this year be counted so instead of like 4 years she only has 3? Or did she still have the full courses to do? 

• Upvote 6

There are LPN to ADN (associate’s degree in nursing, which is an entry level registered nurse) that take 2 semesters. Normally an ADN takes 2 years. So doing one of the accelerated programs would save her time now that she’s an LPN. 

• Upvote 5

Answers to a couple questions from an LPN in Arkansas:

LPN takes three semesters, and then you take a course ending “must pass” test  after you graduate, you must take the NCLEX, a national test and pass to get your license  

The pinning ceremony, you wear white scrubs for men and women, white shoes.  We did not do the hat  we received a pin and a lamp representing Florence Nightingale with our names on it  

RN, there are pre req courses that take about 3 semesters to complete, then another 3 semesters of RN school, a “ must pass” test, graduation and then take the RN NCLEX.  

You can then go on to your BSN, MSN, and/ APRN (which is a nurse practitioner)

That’s going the community college route  you can also sign up at a 4 yr college and graduate with your BSN.  

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 12
  • Love 1

15 hours ago, geistmadl said:

She went to a fundie school, I believe with a year of education, she is going to be a licensed practical nurse (LPN) vs a registered nurse (RN), which requires more schooling. She gets more grunt jobs and limited promotional ops.

She is graduating from Tennessee College of Applied Technology. That is a public two year college with a great reputation. It is not in any way religious. 

Yes, she is earning her LPN with hopes to continue for her RN. I can't stand her beliefs or practices, but I won't shame her for going to school through this route. It's a legit way to get her degree that many women and men do yearly. Due to the shortage of LPNs in states like Tennessee, it is possible that she qualified for a hefty financial aid grant package. She has a leg up on the ADN program now and probably didn't pay a dime. For many, the LPN program allows them to experience nursing to ensure they want to do it before committing to longer programs. 

• Upvote 35
  • Thank You 6
  • Love 1

LPNs in many states are highly employable and possess a very real and valid school set. I can understand if she wants to get her LPN finished and even practice for a couple of years before looking into her RN. 

• Upvote 14
  • Thank You 1

5 hours ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

She is graduating from Tennessee College of Applied Technology. That is a public two year college with a great reputation. It is not in any way religious. 

Yes, she is earning her LPN with hopes to continue for her RN. I can't stand her beliefs or practices, but I won't shame her for going to school through this route. It's a legit way to get her degree that many women and men do yearly. Due to the shortage of LPNs in states like Tennessee, it is possible that she qualified for a hefty financial aid grant package. She has a leg up on the ADN program now and probably didn't pay a dime. For many, the LPN program allows them to experience nursing to ensure they want to do it before committing to longer programs. 

I like the idea of degrees in steps, so that you find out if what you think is a good vocational match Is actually a good match. Too often people like the idea of a specific career, invest a ton of time and work ( and often money) and then find it wasn’t what they really want. 

My daughter went through community college to get her RN, they didn’t do the cap, but the pinning ceremony was beautiful. 

Edited by Mama Mia
  • Upvote 18

23 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

I like the idea of degrees in steps, so that you find out if what you think is a good vocational match Is actually a good match. Too often people like the idea of a specific career, invest a ton of time and work ( and often money) and then find it wasn’t what they really want. 

My daughter went through community college to get her RN, they didn’t do the cap, but the pinning ceremony was beautiful. 

Two year community and technical colleges are great for a lot of people. It can be a wonderful way to get started with core classes or to prepare for a career. Unlike some of her sisters, Michaela doesn't appear to be lacking in basic skills and knowledge. Still, I bet it was hard for both her healthcare program she did earlier and this LPN program to be a student after the type of homeschool opportunities she had under Kelly Jo. Even if she never goes back or never sets the world afire with her ambition and career goals, she has shown her younger siblings that it can be done. 

She doesn't always seem to have the confidence that her other sisters seem to have in spades. I would hope this will give her at least a little boost. 

• Upvote 15

On 9/6/2020 at 3:15 AM, Mama Mia said:

I like it too.  If something happens in your life and you can't continue with school, at least you're employable in a skilled profession instead of officially unskilled (often with debt). 

Edited by lumpentheologie
riffles
  • Upvote 15
  • I Agree 1

I think Michael should be very proud of herself. Too bad her mom could not congratulate her on IG with her achievement or at least acknowledge it. Too busy giving praise to Lawson or Saint Erin I guess.

• Upvote 17

11 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

What type of nurses would work in a care home/nursing home? Could an LPN do that? 

My understanding is that they have varying degrees of care and types of nursing in a nursing/care home. My daughter works in one for very well off seniors. They start at independent apartments with just cleaning service and optional meals, and activities,  move to a more centralized building if a little more health/personal care/daily help and cooking are required - and finally they have a more hospital type setting that has 24/7 RN’s and a Physician. I believe they also have Nurses Assistants, Home Health Aides and LVN’s on staff. It’s nice, but very pricey. 

• Upvote 6

11 hours ago, Timetraveler said:

I think Michael should be very proud of herself. Too bad her mom could not congratulate her on IG with her achievement or at least acknowledge it. Too busy giving praise to Lawson or Saint Erin I guess.

Kelly posted today. It was very brief.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 2

My sister is a LPN and it hasn't limited her ability to work at all.  She has done geriatric nursing as well as been a labor and delivery nurse.  Nurses are in high demand and get a lot of on the job training for whatever field that they are hired into.  I hope that she uses her degree.  She has a very nurturing caring personality.  

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1

I could totally see Michaela being involved in geriatric work and I also hope that she really uses her degree. That could have a huge impact on her younger siblings still at home. She actually raised most of them and especially the girls might find it inspiring to pursue a degree and a career. 

• Upvote 7

The youngest girls will likely all wind up at Clown College anyway. We've seen what the older girls have done with their degrees; they're marginally used for music (Erin), homeschooling (Tori), and hair (Josie). Carlin has nothing to show for her Gen Ed degree. She got her fairytale wedding and a honeymoon baby. 

Michael is the only one with the potential to have a CAREER as opposed to doing something that ranks fairly low in a list of priorities. Now, will she take the opportunity and run with it or take the NCLEX but not act on it?

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

Well Josie could use her degree to pursue a career. Owning her own business and doing make up and hair in her own salon qualifies totally as a career IMHO.

Is Alyssa the only daughter so far that never attended Clown College?

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 3

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic