IGNORED

Michaela & Brandon Keilen 5: She Goes By Michaela

HerNameIsBuffy

15 minutes ago, ophelia said:

Well Josie could use her degree to pursue a career. Owning her own business and doing make up and hair in her own salon qualifies totally as a career IMHO.

Is Alyssa the only daughter so far that never attended Clown College?

Alyssa went for two semesters then dropped out to plan her wedding, never to return.

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 2

On 9/9/2020 at 7:01 AM, ophelia said:

Well Josie could use her degree to pursue a career. Owning her own business and doing make up and hair in her own salon qualifies totally as a career IMHO.

She's not in her own physical salon, but Josie does have her own wedding hair business now with her friend who does the makeup. It's going to be pretty intermittent, but she's already done at least one domestic destination wedding.

• Upvote 9

On 9/9/2020 at 8:01 AM, ophelia said:

I thought Alyssa did attend for a couple of semesters before dropping out. It was Michaela that pursued a legitimate degree online from a legitimate university before getting her LN.

• Upvote 5

8 hours ago, 16strong said:

I thought Alyssa did attend for a couple of semesters before dropping out. It was Michaela that pursued a legitimate degree online from a legitimate university before getting her LN.

Michael actually got her associate's degree from a real state school-Roane State Community College in eastern Tennessee.  Speculation was that Gil and Kelly allowed it because Michael was so marinated in the Kool-Aid, that she was least likely to stray from the party line.  

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

On 9/9/2020 at 2:17 PM, indianabones said:

Alyssa went for two semesters then dropped out to plan her wedding, never to return.

She left to help with Erin's wedding, then it came her own wedding and that's the end of her academic life.

• Upvote 8

I wonder why Michael didn't go for the RN? I'm a BSN RN here in TN and in our state people can sit for the RN NCLEX with an associate's degree (Roane State has a 2 year RN program). With her LPN she will be limited to jobs mostly at nursing homes or in home health care. Knoxville area hospitals don't hire LPNs anymore and some including University of TN make RNs sign an agreement that they will acquire their bachelor's degree within a couple years of hiring. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 5

3 hours ago, cherryontop said:

I wonder why Michael didn't go for the RN? I'm a BSN RN here in TN and in our state people can sit for the RN NCLEX with an associate's degree (Roane State has a 2 year RN program). With her LPN she will be limited to jobs mostly at nursing homes or in home health care. Knoxville area hospitals don't hire LPNs anymore and some including University of TN make RNs sign an agreement that they will acquire their bachelor's degree within a couple years of hiring. 

She's probably still gotta balance her home with work since the cult requires it. An IBLP worker isn't going to admit he does the chores since he works from home. Plus if they are eventually parents, she'll be done anyway so she's not going to sign a letter like that as nice as it'd be for her. 

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, HereticHick said:

It is a little disheartening to see Michaela complete her LPN training, on top of already having an associates degree, both from a secular accredited institution, and see FJers bitch that it isn't good enough. Oh, and she has what seems to be a successful sewing business on the side, and we can be sure she still babysits her ever growing brood of nieces of nephews.

Maybe they weren't sure they would be in Tennessee very long? Maybe they only saved up enough for a 1-year program for now?

Be happy for the woman, for once.

Agreed. For a woman who not only is the oldest girl in an IBLP family (real mother), the fact that she has gotten a real education and not just overpriced and glorified Bible study is a great accomplishment. From what we have seen, she got absolutely no support from family on her decision. Kelly Jo barely acknowledged it and people have peppered her social media with comments about education being a consolation prize for not being able to have a child. Despite her beliefs, I admire her ability to push that pressure from her family aside and do something that was important to her.

I also think it is important to remember that she was one of Kelly Jo's first at home students. We know how lacking that can be for the Bates kids. Good for her for getting through any program when she was already a few beats behind because of what passes as home school for IBLP

• Upvote 31

8 hours ago, cherryontop said:

Michael has mentioned that she's planning on getting her RN next after she passes the LPN exam. She finished her associates a few years ago and probably didn't feel like she was ready to go to a university and do a 4 year program after a long break from school. Plus, now with her LPN and associates degree her BSN will most likely be way cheaper than going into a BSN program as a college freshman. At least in the US. 

• Upvote 16
  • Thank You 1

4 hours ago, HereticHick said:

It is a little disheartening to see Michaela complete her LPN training, on top of already having an associates degree, both from a secular accredited institution, and see FJers bitch that it isn't good enough. Oh, and she has what seems to be a successful sewing business on the side, and we can be sure she still babysits her ever growing brood of nieces of nephews.

Maybe they weren't sure they would be in Tennessee very long? Maybe they only saved up enough for a 1-year program for now?

Maybe she is also not comfortable with the responsibilities a higher degree will bring in the work place or studying. Maybe she knows her limits and she is at them. I give you one example of a baptist christian I knew ( I have used this example before), She was an RN to become a midwife you have to add another year at uni. She dropped out because she would have to do a (mandatory) round in the abortion area of the hospital. It went against her ethics so she dropped out. Right or wrong she had reached her capabilities. 
Michael did a good thing if that is all she wants it does not make it a bad thing, Some people aim for the moon some people are happy hanging out in the stars.

• Upvote 11

20 hours ago, haroldtheyrefundies said:

Michael has mentioned that she's planning on getting her RN next after she passes the LPN exam. She finished her associates a few years ago and probably didn't feel like she was ready to go to a university and do a 4 year program after a long break from school. Plus, now with her LPN and associates degree her BSN will most likely be way cheaper than going into a BSN program as a college freshman. At least in the US. 

That's actually a smart move for someone in Michael's position, especially if they are watching their funds.   She may be lucky enough as an LPN to find an employer that will pay for further education, or find an RN program that will waive some practicums or credits based on work experience.   And maybe she wants to attain some level of confidence in her position as an LPN before attempting the RN.  From everyone I have spoken to that has gotten an RN as of late, it is not an easy feat.    I give Michael a lot of credit. 

Edited by HeartsAFundie
  • Upvote 17
  • I Agree 1

21 hours ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

Agreed. For a woman who not only is the oldest girl in an IBLP family (real mother), the fact that she has gotten a real education and not just overpriced and glorified Bible study is a great accomplishment. From what we have seen, she got absolutely no support from family on her decision. Kelly Jo barely acknowledged it and people have peppered her social media with comments about education being a consolation prize for not being able to have a child. Despite her beliefs, I admire her ability to push that pressure from her family aside and do something that was important to her.

I also think it is important to remember that she was one of Kelly Jo's first at home students. We know how lacking that can be for the Bates kids. Good for her for getting through any program when she was already a few beats behind because of what passes as home school for IBLP

Yes, I also noticed Kelly Jo barely acknowledged. Wasn't expecting a parade but Kelly should feel proud that most of her girls have done well in college. Guess her homeschooling isn't total crap. Erin and Tori graduated with honors. Do we think they could have done the same at TNU? That same girl with green hair that Erin was so afraid of sitting beside, is just as capable of a degree. I still can't believe she said such a thing. But she was still a kid banging on her piano. 

• Upvote 12
  • Love 1

23 minutes ago, Tangy Bee said:

Yes, I also noticed Kelly Jo barely acknowledged. Wasn't expecting a parade but Kelly should feel proud that most of her girls have done well in college. Guess her homeschooling isn't total crap. Erin and Tori graduated with honors. Do we think they could have done the same at TNU? That same girl with green hair that Erin was so afraid of sitting beside, is just as capable of a degree. I still can't believe she said such a thing. But she was still a kid banging on her piano. 

I can't speak to Erin and Tori's degree programs at Crown other than to say they aren't even close to the standards of accredited colleges and universities. I am more impressed that Michaela, who has been said to be the most studious and motivated to learn of the older girls, managed to earn actual degrees (don't know her grade point average) where her classes aren't interspersed with Bible teachings and how to convert the heathens classes.

Given what we know of IBLP teachings for homeschool, it is doubtful that Michaela or any of the children had a very rigorous curriculum when it came to science or other STEM topics. That is a shame given that Kelly Jo apparently did well in science as a student from the storyline presented. I am more impressed with Michaela studying at a state/community college and having to undoubtedly encounter some curriculum points that were not taught at home and that she and her family might very much disagree with from a Biblical point of view. That adds to her accomplishment in my eyes.    

Good for Tori and Erin for doing the more difficult/lengthy programs at Crown. And good for Carlin graduating from a school that has actually met the requirements for full accreditation despite some abysmal practices and poor leadership.  Josie and Katie seem to have done well with their classes too. But I suppose the cynic in me when it comes to organized religion still gives places like Crown the side eye and puts a bit of an asterisk by the name when it comes to credibility. 

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, HeartsAFundie said:

That's actually a smart move for someone in Michael's position, especially if they are watching their funds.   She may be lucky enough as an LPN to find an employer that will pay for further education, or find an RN program that will waive some practicums or credits based on work experience.   And maybe she wants to attain some level of confidence in her position as an LPN before attempting the RN.  From everyone I have spoken to that has gotten an RN as of late, it is not an easy feat.    I give Michael a lot of credit. 

i give her a ton of credit too. i'm not in nursing school, but back at my community college i always heard nursing students complaining about how hard nursing school is and we were at a community college so i couldn't imagine how hard it is for students at a 4 year university. I remember someone said they failed a test by like a half of point or something like that. I know i definitely wouldn't be able to make it through nursing school so props to Michael for trying and successfully passing nursing school! 

• Upvote 12

13 hours ago, haroldtheyrefundies said:

i give her a ton of credit too. i'm not in nursing school, but back at my community college i always heard nursing students complaining about how hard nursing school is and we were at a community college so i couldn't imagine how hard it is for students at a 4 year university. I remember someone said they failed a test by like a half of point or something like that. I know i definitely wouldn't be able to make it through nursing school so props to Michael for trying and successfully passing nursing school! 

The nursing (RN) program at my local community college is extremely tough to get into.  Although the spirit of a community college is to allow everyone who wants a higher education to apply and attend, degree programs such as nursing (along with dental hygienist and occupational therapy assistant, two other extremely popular programs at my local community college)  are very selective as to whom they admit.  it's no joke and although I have an MBA, I highly doubt I could pass their RN program.        

Edited by HeartsAFundie
  • Upvote 13

On 9/14/2020 at 6:27 PM, HereticHick said:

100% agreed. Sometimes it seems some people wants her to be miserable because she's "deep in the koolaid", as if not having kids in her cult isn't hard enough.

Props to Michaela for finishing her degree at a real school after being poorly homeschooled.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 9

She’ll only get kudos from me. I’d be far less impressed if she was home twiddling her thumbs. Good for her for getting it done. Did she get a job? I’ll be less impressed if she has the degree, passes the tests and doesn’t get a job. Same with with Derick Dillard. Becoming a productive member of society is just as good, and often times, IMO, better, than being a reproductive member of society.

• Upvote 10
  • Love 1

On 1/29/2020 at 11:46 AM, Flossie said:

Michaela is not a large, heavy, or obese woman.  She is perfectly normal.  She has been trying for a long time to get pregnant, and has been seeing doctors to try to get that happen.  I have no doubt that if one of them told her that she needed to lose ten pounds to increase her chances of conceiving, she'd see them that ten pounds and lose another five or ten on top of that.

I feel bad for her that her dream of having a baby hasn't come true yet, but maybe becoming a nurse will help in some way.  Her salary could go towards paying for her infertility treatments.  She could gain a better understanding of her infertility issues and better advocate for her own treatment plans.  In the meantime, maybe she could find satisfaction in helping others and become more well-rounded and more understanding and empathetic of people not like her.

My statement was taken way out of context but that was a long time ago and I had basically forgotten about it. I ache for Michaela, not because I want her to have a baby, I ache for her because she wants a baby. She is a bit fuller than when she got married but only by a little bit but I don't consider her too big . I basically look like her build almost exactly but according to medical charts, I am overweight and have a BMI that says I'm overweight. My sister-in-law, like I said in original post was overweight and two doctors told her to thin down by 10 pounds, she did it and was pregnant in 5 months. I by no means's trying to be disrespectful towards Michaela, she may be my favorite. I hope 2020 is a fruitful year for her, she will smile forever. Let the flogging begin.

• Upvote 2

On 9/14/2020 at 7:42 PM, rebeccawriter01 said:

Agreed. For a woman who not only is the oldest girl in an IBLP family (real mother), the fact that she has gotten a real education and not just overpriced and glorified Bible study is a great accomplishment. From what we have seen, she got absolutely no support from family on her decision.

I give Michael a lot of kudos for pursuing her education and getting real degrees, not just some Biblical Studies in (Name your Subject Here) and from real accredited institutions.    All in spite of a very limited early education.   

It's sad to see the lack of support from her family but I honestly think she would have not pursued the LPN if Brandon didn't support this.   Sure, he's IBLP and all that, but honestly I believe he supported her, I don't think she would have bucked his disapproval if he didn't.  

So, not only should we give Michael some credit, I think Brandon deserves some too.  

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 7

Her LPN is a good back-up plan for when the tv show goes off the air and IBLP goes kaput. Good for her in getting that degree. I'd feel better if I didn't worry she won't be kind to any LGBTQ+ patients. Hopefully interacting with folks who are different teaches her they aren't all bad. 

• Upvote 3

IDK about the other commenters, but for me the point of expressing "But why not a BSN?" isn't any type of knock on her; it's a knock on the cult that they may not allow or want her to go for it, whereas we think she's absolutely capable of becoming an RN and she absolutely should if that's what she wants to do.

I also think Brandon seems like the type to toe the line at work, meanwhile privately picking up more of the slack behind the scenes without issue. His infertile wife is becoming a nurse, talk about a servant's heart.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

On 9/4/2020 at 2:49 AM, indianabones said:

Her eyes also changed color from blue to brown in the past year, apparently.

I have very light eyes but in some photos, they look dark. It seems to be about the light. If its not hitting my eyes to show the color (like it's coming from behind me), they look darker. If she has medium blue eyes, I could see them getting dark enough to look brown in a photo with professional/bright lights for graduation type photos. 

• Upvote 5

• 2 weeks later...

Courtney Collingsworth Metz announced the they are at the final stages of adopting a boy from Thailand, and Michaela gave her congratulations on social media. I really wonder what her feelings are about it. I don’t know that Courtney ever announced or addressed infertility as it seemed more a “conviction” to adopt, but still here they are at that point after several years in the process. I wouldn’t ever wish a child into the cult so I’m not advocating for that, to be clear.

• Upvote 3

I don't follow Michaela's social media super closely, but she answered a bunch of questions in her Instagram stories today. The first set of screenshots is Qs related to her nursing degree- interesting that she's considering emergency medicine or pediatrics. I don't know much about scope of practice for LPNs but emergency medicine sounds like more of an RN career I would think? Also, not surprised at all that she wears scrub skirts....

Spoiler

fullsizeoutput_927c.thumb.jpeg.340e0a2f813416c82642516e8237dab6.jpegfullsizeoutput_927d.thumb.jpeg.d4bdf948f2a8b94f66b68358d0525a5b.jpegfullsizeoutput_9279.thumb.jpeg.7964cf2310bb2dac1f03c0ff180b8c70.jpegfullsizeoutput_927a.thumb.jpeg.52802681f0f23ab60647919e33581dc6.jpeg

A few of the more "theological" questions she answered- sounds like God isn't currently "directing" them towards adoption? The one about staying close to God- maybe it's a normal fundie thing, but I'm getting serious Steve Maxwell vibes by MUSIC being too much of a distraction to her relationship with God?? And personally, I interpret Brandon being "uncompromising in truth" etc to mean they will be following ALL the IBLP teachings to a T (I know Michael has pursued higher education etc but I really do not think they would ever pursue IVF or anything similar, for example). Again, not a surprise at all....but so deeply fundie to describe your spouse that way IMO....

Spoiler

fullsizeoutput_927e.thumb.jpeg.2a6dc53c74f42748f289dc39958d6a01.jpegfullsizeoutput_9278.thumb.jpeg.3300644b65299ea94e9e7b181796a30b.jpegfullsizeoutput_927b.thumb.jpeg.5cc531a657993f57cb7693487213f7d1.jpeg

Anyway, I haven't watched any recent Bates episodes, but I think some of this was new info. She said she'll be answering more questions so I'm curious what else she'll post.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 10

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic