IGNORED

Michaela & Brandon Keilen 5: She Goes By Michaela

HerNameIsBuffy

18 hours ago, JemimaPuddle-Duck said:

I wouldn’t discount her healing coming through her faith just as I wouldn’t discount someone’s healing coming through counseling. I can relate. So much of the pain and trauma and anxiety from childhood abuse has been healed through my faith and through my exceptionally supportive and loving husband. It doesn’t mean she hides her pain under a blanket of prayers; it’s quite possible those prayers really do ease her pain. 

I really do hope so. For her and anyone else that needs their prayers to heal them. Xoxox

• Upvote 8
  • Love 2

• 1 month later...

Brandon and Michaela went to visit Brandon's family in Michigan for the long weekend. Complete with 8-person selfies (4th pic) and no attempt at social distancing. I had hoped Michaela would know better. 

• Upvote 11
  • WTF 2

1 minute ago, Johannah said:

Is vouge a word?

According to dictionary.com, it's an ax-like, shafted weapon having a curved blade tapering to a point at the top, used by foot soldiers in the 14th century and after. Although I'm not sure if they knew that, or just misspelled vogue. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

Brandon and Michaela went to visit Brandon's family in Michigan for the long weekend. Complete with 8-person selfies (4th pic) and no attempt at social distancing. I had hoped Michaela would know better. 

To be fair the governor here just changed the rules to say gatherings of 10 people or less is just fine.  

• Upvote 6

26 minutes ago, jlbturtle said:

To be fair the governor here just changed the rules to say gatherings of 10 people or less is just fine.  

Right, but you're still supposed to not get very close to each other during those gatherings. Staying 6ft away or wearing masks with people who aren't in your "bubble" is still key, and the only way we're going to be able to open things up safely. Just cause you can gather doesn't mean it should be a free-for-all at those gatherings. 

This is a good article that sums up what's safe and what's not: https://www.theatlantic.com/family/archive/2020/05/restaurants-stores-reopen-dos-and-donts/611314/?fbclid=IwAR3Dl3E5AQgjf8Wqt4FhyH1BTn24U43ORp1Z6ErCwp0zsSPcYsorwloYY0o

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 1

19 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

The ladies were all wearing short shorts. I wonder if that bothers Michael?

• Upvote 10

Am I the only one who doesn't think it's realistic at smaller family gatherings to expect everyone to to wear masks or stand 6feet apart even it's ideal? I believe in wearing masks to grocery stores and doctors offices. I believe in avoiding large gatherings. However, I do think there's a point where some of these expectations aren't 100% realistic 100% of the time. 

• Upvote 15
  • Downvote 3
  • I Agree 1

1 minute ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

Am I the only one who doesn't think it's realistic at smaller family gatherings to expect everyone to to wear masks or stand 6feet apart even it's ideal? I believe in wearing masks to grocery stores and doctors offices. I believe in avoiding large gatherings. However, I do think there's a point where some of these expectations aren't 100% realistic 100% of the time. 

If they aren't able to maintain minimal safety standards currently in place then they shouldn't gather until it's safer.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 15
  • Thank You 1

If you quarantine for two weeks (no grocery stores, contact with only household members) and wear your mask/wash your hands, is then driving to see family who has done the same a high risk? 

My husband and I just drove from Boston to Chicago to see my family. We didn't go anywhere or see anyone else for days leading up to the road trip. We wore masks and gloves at any gas stations. For us, our "Bubble" includes my family, despite the fact that they are in another state.  

I wouldn't be so quick to snark on this one. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

9 minutes ago, kmachete14 said:

If you quarantine for two weeks (no grocery stores, contact with only household members) and wear your mask/wash your hands, is then driving to see family who has done the same a high risk? 

My husband and I just drove from Boston to Chicago to see my family. We didn't go anywhere or see anyone else for days leading up to the road trip. We wore masks and gloves at any gas stations. For us, our "Bubble" includes my family, despite the fact that they are in another state.  

I wouldn't be so quick to snark on this one. 

Masks don't protect you, they protect other people from you if you are asymptomatic.

In your example you could have become infected and been asymptomatic and then when you are around others closer than 6' and no mask you risk spreading to others.  

If people are not completely quarantined (which is very hard for adults who need to shop, get gas, etc.) for 14 days there is a risk.  Whether that's a risk you're willing to assume for yourself and your family that's up to you, but it certainly is something noteworthy that these people are not distancing safely when she is in nursing school.

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

On 2/6/2020 at 10:35 PM, rebeccawriter01 said:

So I hope that she can break away from that sort of thought and understand that infertility isn't a sign from God that you have done bad things or that God is punishing you. Instead, it is a physical issue where there are options and opportunities to move on with life and build a family in another way. 

This way of thinking is bad for any woman, but I think it would be especially cruel to Michael, if she interprets her infertility as divine punishment, since she is the Bates daughter who likely had to give the most up as a young girl to help Kelly-Jo raise a gazillion children. She was raised under the strictest version of Gothardite parenting Gil and Jelly-Ko put in place, back in the day when all Bates girls wore matching flowery tent-y dresses and all the Bates boys wore matching polos, was treated as a house maid and a built-in nanny (with no pay and no days off) as well as Kelly-Jo's personal assistant, probably way more than any other younger Bates girl ever was (with the exception of maybe Erin).

It's almost spontaneous to compare Michael with Jana Duggar. Speaking about the latter, something striking she once said now appears relevant: Jana was being interviewed alongside Jessa on Counting On, and she admitted to not standing Jessa very much when they were young, and to having been "encouraged" by Michelle to pray her "selfish heart" away. So, Jessa was the one being bratty but Jana was the one who was made feel guilty for wanting her own boundaries to be respected by virtue of her being the oldest daughter and sister-mom.

IFBs with quiverfulls of children sometimes are big believers in the "first daughter/first son" role modeling for all the younger ones. Both Michael and Jana are very soft spoken, outwardly demure and meek. Even though they may have stronger personalities deep down, they're just not so good at publicly rebelling/creating drama, having been raised with an emphasis on displaying "a servant's heart". If Michael really experienced eccessive "guilt trips" like Jana did growing up, then she might be blaming herself. Hopefully she would've outgrown this mental loop by now, though.

• Upvote 14

7 hours ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

That’s how most of the people I know are doing it...cautious about some activities, braver about others. Some states started opening a month ago or never closed. I see lots of people without masks on in public, so there’s plenty of people doing even more than just hanging out with family. At this point I think a lot of people have decided the virus is here to stay and are making choices they feel comfortable making.

• Upvote 3

20 hours ago, DalmatianCat said:

At this point I think a lot of people have decided the virus is here to stay and are making choices they feel comfortable making.

If the only consequences of this were those people getting sick or not I would be much more okay with that. But unfortunately people who aren’t worried about it still spread the disease to others, sometimes with deadly effects.

I have a genetic disease that makes me high risk, and lots of other people are high risk too. I am trying to continue to isolate as much as possible, but I still have to buy food, call the plumber when the sink stops working, etc. Every person who doesn’t want to follow basic measures that prevent the disease from spreading makes it more likely that one of those necessary interactions will be devastating for me. 

I understand that people need to work and see their loved ones. But not wearing a mask that will save lives because other people aren’t doing it or because it’s not “realistic” is just selfish. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 8
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 10

The truth of the matter is that we have to live with this virus in our midst. We have to work and go to school. We cannot wait for a vaccine that may never come; or that might take 2 years or more to be developed and then made into literally billions of doses for the world. We just cannot stay home forever.

We were told we were staying home to "flatten the curve" to help our medical communities. And I was all for it. We've done that. But there seems to be this bait and switch where we are some how expected to stay home until this is gone. It is never going to be gone. I understand people are at risk. We all are. But we cannot stay home indefinitely. My spouse and I have both lost our jobs. Unemployment, even with the bonus, doesn't cover our monthly expenses and our savings will not last forever.  Losing our home seems much more likely than dying of covid, especially if we cannot find work for 2 years. And we have zero health insurance now. Furthermore, the longer millions of us are on unemployment, the worse the tax mess is going to be to recover from this. I realize this is not the PC answer and many of you will attack me for "being heartless" or whatever. That's not true. But we cannot stay home. We want to work. We need to work. 

• Upvote 15
  • Fuck You 1
  • Downvote 6
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 6

42 minutes ago, FaithAndReason said:

The truth of the matter is that we have to live with this virus in our midst. We have to work and go to school. We cannot wait for a vaccine that may never come; or that might take 2 years or more to be developed and then made into literally billions of doses for the world. We just cannot stay home forever.

We were told we were staying home to "flatten the curve" to help our medical communities. And I was all for it. We've done that. But there seems to be this bait and switch where we are some how expected to stay home until this is gone. It is never going to be gone. I understand people are at risk. We all are. But we cannot stay home indefinitely. My spouse and I have both lost our jobs. Unemployment, even with the bonus, doesn't cover our monthly expenses and our savings will not last forever.  Losing our home seems much more likely than dying of covid, especially if we cannot find work for 2 years. And we have zero health insurance now. Furthermore, the longer millions of us are on unemployment, the worse the tax mess is going to be to recover from this. I realize this is not the PC answer and many of you will attack me for "being heartless" or whatever. That's not true. But we cannot stay home. We want to work. We need to work. 

I am so sorry for what you're going through. I really hope you can keep your home and find new jobs soon. 

I just want to clarify that I am in no way saying everyone should stay home. High-risk people should stay home, and everyone else should wear masks and keep a safe distance apart so that they can both work and protect the vulnerable. I realize doing that for a year or more seems burdensome.  But it seems like a reasonable middle ground between shutting things down till people starve or just letting millions of people die of the virus. The latter is what I worry about when people say it's here to stay. 

This virus has already killed more Americans than the Vietnam and Korean wars did combined. We are at war here and we need to all keep doing our part until we get a handle on this. If we don't we might see something closer to WWII levels of deaths. 

Edited by lumpentheologie
  • Upvote 14
  • I Agree 10

31 minutes ago, lumpentheologie said:

This virus has already killed more Americans than the Vietnam and Korean wars did combined. We are at war here and we need to all keep doing our part until we get a handle on this. If we don't we might see something closer to WWII levels of deaths. 

I know I'm going to get shit for this but it's my own personal observations:

We're at war(Covid) for this long because people are stupid. I work in a pharmacy. I can't even begin to tell stories. This would have all been over if people just wizened up a little. Like I don't even know how many times people gave me shit for signing for medication( a signature pad that gets sprayed with 99% alcohol after every patient) but will put their phones on the counter and touch everything with dirty gloves. They have no problem handing me cash that came from who knows where but will give me the death stare for touching the item, I personally put on the shelf, to scan so that they can get a receipt. 

• Upvote 14

Communities are asking people to stay within their county. It's one way to help prevent the spread of the disease from one area to the next. If you do need to travel, you should use precautions like wearing a mask and not going into business unless it's an emergency. 

There are things that you can do within your community. You can go to the park, you can go fishing, you can visit neighbors and friends as long as you maintain social distancing. We have big stopped the spread. It's still out there. If people don't continue to stay the course, we will have another spike. It will be a much larger spike.  This is what happened during the Spanish flu. 

It sucks, but we should all be working to limit the spread of the disease. There is no way to know who is going to end up in the hospital. It's important that we all do our part to limit the number of people who will suffer from this disease. Many health people are experiencing life time oregon damage. Kids are getting an rare inflammation disease as a result of COVID. It's not just a respiratory virus. 

• Upvote 14

3 hours ago, DarkAnts said:

Communities are asking people to stay within their county. It's one way to help prevent the spread of the disease from one area to the next. If you do need to travel, you should use precautions like wearing a mask and not going into business unless it's an emergency. 

There are things that you can do within your community. You can go to the park, you can go fishing, you can visit neighbors and friends as long as you maintain social distancing. We have big stopped the spread. It's still out there. If people don't continue to stay the course, we will have another spike. It will be a much larger spike.  This is what happened during the Spanish flu. 

It sucks, but we should all be working to limit the spread of the disease. There is no way to know who is going to end up in the hospital. It's important that we all do our part to limit the number of people who will suffer from this disease. Many health people are experiencing life time oregon damage. Kids are getting an rare inflammation disease as a result of COVID. It's not just a respiratory virus. 

If Great Britain and Europe could survive WWII, we can survive living the way we are until a vaccine has been created. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

On 5/27/2020 at 3:21 PM, Pecansforeveryone said:

I agree if its just family in a private property, in the end its only themselves they are puting at risk and its their choice, but in public areas they should 100% wear masks all the time.

In the photos it looks like they may be in a private area so i will reserve my judgement. Michaela has been doing online classes only (they mentioned this in a live) so she doesnt have a higher risk to have gotten it as if she was currently working as a nurse. There is a couple where they look like they may be in a golf course, but at least where i live you are exempt from the mask if you are doing exercise.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, llucie said:

I agree if its just family in a private property, in the end its only themselves they are puting at risk and its their choice, but in public areas they should 100% wear masks all the time.

This just isn't true, though. Masks help prevent the spread of Covid, but they are far from 100% effective. So if people get sick from contact by not masking or keeping a distance during gatherings, they are still a threat to others even if they do wear masks in public. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

This just isn't true, though. Masks help prevent the spread of Covid, but they are far from 100% effective. So if people get sick from contact by not masking or keeping a distance during gatherings, they are still a threat to others even if they do wear masks in public. 

Sure, but is unrealistic to expect people to wear a mask in their own house. Thats why no country has made such a law about masks. All countries that had made mask mandatory is only for public spaces. 

If everyone would wear masks when outside then the spread would be greatly reduced. Sadly even that seems to be dificult to achieve, i see people not wearing mask/wearing them but badly every day.

Edited by llucie
  • Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, llucie said:

Sure, but is unrealistic to expect people to wear a mask in their own house. Thats why no country has made such a law about masks. All countries that had made mask mandatory is only for public spaces. 

Why is it unrealistic to expect people do something that doesn't hurt them and doesn't even really inconvenience them when lives are at stake? Sorry, apparently this is my hill to die on, but this really doesn't make sense to me.  The medical advice is to wear a mask near anyone you don't live with. That doesn't change depending on who owns the property. We expect people to follow medical advice whether or not it has the force of law---it's not the law to wash your hands or avoid touching your face either, but we expect people to do those things.  This is just as basic. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 3

2 minutes ago, lumpentheologie said:

Why is it unrealistic to expect people do something that doesn't hurt them and doesn't even really inconvenience them when lives are at stake? Sorry, apparently this is my hill to die on, but this really doesn't make sense to me.  The medical advice is to wear a mask near anyone you don't live with. That doesn't change depending on who owns the property. We expect people to follow medical advice whether or not it has the force of law---it's not the law to wash your hands or avoid touching your face either, but we expect people to do those things.  This is just as basic. 

I couldnt agree more, but its just unrealistic to expect all people to wear them in their own houses because there is no way for the police to enforce what people do in their houses. And as we have seen a lot of people dont even wear them in public, where you can get a fine if you are caught whithout a mask (at least in my country, i dont know if masks are mandatory by law in the USA at the moment).

• Downvote 1

36 minutes ago, llucie said:

I couldnt agree more, but its just unrealistic to expect all people to wear them in their own houses because there is no way for the police to enforce what people do in their houses. And as we have seen a lot of people dont even wear them in public, where you can get a fine if you are caught whithout a mask (at least in my country, i dont know if masks are mandatory by law in the USA at the moment).

Okay, I think we agree and just mean different things by 'expect'.  I don't actually expect the Bates (or many people) to give a shit about anyone else; lots of people are assholes.  And I'm aware there are many people who refuse to wear a mask no matter what (also assholes).

But morally I expect people to not put others' lives at risk, especially when it hardly costs them anything not to, and I will 100% judge them for it. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic