IGNORED

John David and Abbie 5: Pancakes with a Side of Wedding

HerNameIsBuffy

18 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

I'm fairly sure that Abbie is getting the shaft this weekend.

John Shaft..... Right on! Words begin at about 2:40... I'll be in the prayer closet...

14 hours ago, Cheetah said:

All that talk about Jessa's cardigan and no one else thought maybe it was there to cover up a baby bump?  Just a thought.

She plays these games, so the thought crossed my mind.

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 7:19 PM, adidas said:

I love the idea of a breakfast buffet at a wedding. I’ve never been to one, so I could be completely wrong - but I’m visualising an enormous table (mega grazing platter) of pancakes, hash browns, waffles, yoghurts, fresh fruit salad and danishes. And coffee. Lots of coffee. Yuuuum. 

In reality it was probably different to this, but I loooove breakfast so I’m going with my dream brunch.

D5C55332-A2D6-4083-A04F-5B63718D5F2A.jpeg

that looks amazing. now I am hungry!

JD must feel pretty dang certain of his reelection chances since he chose to go get married in another state the weekend before!! I guess he must have done absentee/early voting! : )

14 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

JD must feel pretty dang certain of his reelection chances since he chose to go get married in another state the weekend before!! I guess he must have done absentee/early voting! : )

Well he is a Republican in rural Arkansas. In the general election, I think that's about as sure as you can get. If he would have had any real competition, it would have been in the primary. My impression is that it's a very Republican part of the country.

15 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

I wondered about that, too! I’m also wondering if they’ll delay the start of their honeymoon until at least Wednesday or Thursday...it’d be a little weird for him to not even be present in his district for election day, wouldn’t it?

12 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

Well he is a Republican in rural Arkansas. In the general election, I think that's about as sure as you can get. If he would have had any real competition, it would have been in the primary. My impression is that it's a very Republican part of the country.

I believe that multiple posters familiar with that area have stated otherwise- that Arkansas is pretty conservative, but the area that the Duggars are in leave more liberal. @Rachel333 and @SapphireSlytherinare the two who immediately come to mind - am I correct?

Constable elections (at least in my old part of Arkansas) were never really a big deal. I don't remember anyone actually campaigning for that office, other than a few yard signs.

@VelociRapture - NWA is definitely conservative. All of my relatives who live in that area are staunchly Republican. The area around the University leans Democrat (as is typical of most "university towns"). 

https://gis.arkansas.gov/product/senate-district-map-91st-general-assembly-2016/

42 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Constable elections (at least in my old part of Arkansas) were never really a big deal. I don't remember anyone actually campaigning for that office, other than a few yard signs.

@VelociRapture - NWA is definitely conservative. All of my relatives who live in that area are staunchly Republican. The area around the University leans Democrat (as is typical of most "university towns"). 

https://gis.arkansas.gov/product/senate-district-map-91st-general-assembly-2016/

Fayetteville itself is the city that leans liberal. Clinton won in every ward in 2016. The mayor is also quite liberal (and very pro LGBT, participating in the pride parade every year!) and is very popular.

(Responding to the breastfeeding stuff... I just spoilered the whole thing since I know the conversation has mostly moved on.)

Spoiler
4 hours ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

That abstract is extremely vague. It doesn't state what sort of data was analysed, what sort of method they used, sample size, nothing but conclusions and the stated need for more research before redefining guidelines. It would be interesting to see if they have taken into account variables such as a decrease of intercourses (co-sleeping and feeding every 2/3 hrs can have a huge impact on sex life, don't ask me how I know) and sleep deprivation.

Yeah, that one isn't even a study in itself, just a description of a meeting where the 98% figure was agreed on based on other studies. There are a ton of further studies taking into account various factors.

I'm really not invested in this anyway! I just thought it was interesting that it came up here just one day after I looked up the statistic for a totally different conversation, and since I kept seeing the 98% figure discussed I thought I would share where it seems to come from.

4 hours ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

But it's wrong the comparison with condom. Condom has a 96% effectiveness for me and for you regardless of woman specific variables. 

(I know you weren't saying this, but just for the record I never compared it to condoms!) It is true that they seem to be on opposite ends of the individual variability scale. I never really thought before about how condom use is less variable than other common methods. Condom effectiveness isn't really going to vary much at all from person to person as long as they're being used correctly, while hormonal birth control does vary in effectiveness from things like how much you weight, and then of course there is tremendous variation in breastfeeding as contraception.

I am shocked that there wasn't more snarking about the wedding. It wasn't even a full thread!

1 minute ago, Carm_88 said:

I am shocked that there wasn't more snarking about the wedding. It wasn't even a full thread!

Ah, but there's still the multiple wedding specials yet! :pb_lol:

7 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Agreed, but then we have seen very little of the wedding yet. A single picture and a short video of the bride and groom, and that's pretty much it. A few wedding guests, but we don't even know what the bridesmaids dresses look like, or a lot of the decorations, or who was even part of the wedding party. I am confident there will be much more snarking once they give us more fodder. :pb_lol:

23 hours ago, artdecades said:

on another note, i had a dream last night that Jill and Derick hijacked the wedding and the pictures to announce a pregnancy

lol. I wouldn't be surprised if they did. I wouldn't be surprised if Jessa Blessa announced she was preggers, or if Lauren and Siah, Kendra, or Joy and Austin, or oh gosh Jboob and Mechelle.......

4 hours ago, singsingsing said:

I’m not saying that Abbie is going to ‘turn into Derick’. I’m saying that she, like Derick a few years ago, is new and seems different. That right now people have an overwhelmingly positive impression of her and that I can almost guarantee you that’s going to change as we get to know her more. Not that she’s going to literally take on Derick’s personality traits or mimick his actions. That her true colours will be revealed and people will inevitably be disappointed that she really is a fundie with the same ignorant, nasty, oppressive beliefs as the rest of them - just like what happened with Derick.

I have more hope for John and Abbie than I ever had for any other couple. Not meaning to sound like a leg humper, but it amazes me John is so happy.  It's great to see. Josh and Josiah looked so uncomfortable when they got married, john seems so at ease and so happy with Abbie in what we have seen so far...and I think it's very genuine. 

22 minutes ago, JillyO said:

Agreed, but then we have seen very little of the wedding yet. A single picture and a short video of the bride and groom, and that's pretty much it. A few wedding guests, but we don't even know what the bridesmaids dresses look like, or a lot of the decorations, or who was even part of the wedding party. I am confident there will be much more snarking once they give us more fodder. :pb_lol:

And my sole thought was "why the hell dont these people shave for special occasions?"  He looked like he rolled out of bed and put his tux on.

2 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

And my sole thought was "why the hell dont these people shave for special occasions?"  He looked like he rolled out of bed and put his tux on.

JD has always seemed to stay pretty clean shaven. My guess is that Abbie likes the whiskers. JD definitely seems like the type that would change his facial hair is it’s what his partner prefers. 

13 minutes ago, Sky with diamonds said:

I have more hope for John and Abbie than I ever had for any other couple. Not meaning to sound like a leg humper, but it amazes me John is so happy.  It's great to see. Josh and Josiah looked so uncomfortable when they got married, john seems so at ease and so happy with Abbie in what we have seen so far...and I think it's very genuine. 

I have great hopes that John and Abbie will be happy together and have a successful marriage. I have almost no hope that they will make any remotely significant moves away from fundamentalism. Not zero hope - I have hope for them all - just not much.

6 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I have great hopes that John and Abbie will be happy together and have a successful marriage. I have almost no hope that they will make any remotely significant moves away from fundamentalism. Not zero hope - I have hope for them all - just not much.

I agree with you. I'd love it if Abbie kept her nursing job, took time before getting pregnant, that would make my jaw hit the floor. I don't see that happening sadly. 

For me, it really is a good thing to see John so happy.  Compared to some Duggars, he seems to somewhat independent...and that's a good thing. 

32 minutes ago, SassyPantswithASideofClass said:

lol. I wouldn't be surprised if they did. I wouldn't be surprised if Jessa Blessa announced she was preggers, or if Lauren and Siah, Kendra, or Joy and Austin, or oh gosh Jboob and Mechelle.......

Please, someone tell me I’m not the only one who read that and pictured JB in the green maternity top o’ doom before they caught up with the next bit?

27 minutes ago, Sky with diamonds said:

I agree with you. I'd love it if Abbie kept her nursing job, took time before getting pregnant, that would make my jaw hit the floor. I don't see that happening sadly. 

Even if they weren't fundie I wouldn't necessarily see that happen. A lot of people who get married 25 - 30 seem to have kids quite quickly. 

4 hours ago, SamiKatz said:

I think as a group we should give up on thinking any of them are going to change.  Of course, it's possible, but not really probable.

I think it’s probable that at least one of them will change. There is 19 of them, that’s a lot. But it will take time and probably the cancelation of their show. It will be when all of us have forgotten about them. 

18 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Jessa has mentioned struggling with some pretty bad body image issues in the past. I know she laughs it off on social media, but that stuff can go deep. 

I always get the impression that Jessa hides in baggy clothing because of body issues (under the guise of "modesty").  Its a shame.  

My snark about the wedding is-pick a level of formality and make sure your guests understand it.  Those leaked receptions photos are all over the place clothingwise.  Although maybe the wedding party dressed up and everyone else was told casual is ok?  That would maybe make sense.  

8 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

He’s like the stereotypical guy new to CrossFit.

Ahmahgah, my high school sweetheart is relatively new into CrossFit and it is virtually all he ever posts about on Instagram. Just near-daily shots of his "sweat angels" (gross) and a million hashtags including #paytheman every time.

I heart him dearly or I would've unfollowed him ages ago. Sweat angels! I don't need to see that, ever. No one does.

Bleh. Anyway, carry on.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived