IGNORED

John David and Abbie 5: Pancakes with a Side of Wedding

HerNameIsBuffy

25 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

@HurricaneBells At the risk of continuing this discussion:

The best method for changing a conversation you’re sick of is to simply do that - write a comment about another topic you’re interested in. If others are interested they’ll chime in to respond and the conversation will shift. If not? Then you can skip over the comments you find annoying or just avoid a specific thread for a while. 

And yes, I get that you haven’t been on in a few days and I get it’s annoying when you aren’t enjoying a conversation. I have zero issues with posters chiming in on already finished discussions if they want to. But the quickest and easiest way to stop a conversation you find annoying is to simply change the topic to something else or avoid that specific conversation for a bit. Complaining about a topic being discussed isn’t going to help and jistruns the risk of reigniting the discussion that was so obnoxious to begin with.

(And yes, I’m sure you know all that. Others may not though and your comment gave a good opportunity for a reminder about that.)

All that said... let’s see how I’m doing on my predictions:

Someone posted information about the wedding? Check.

Criticizing them for their wedding choices? I don’t think this has happened yet beyond the whole “Is Abbie actually into planes/Is she secretly the second coming of Derick Dillard” conversation. This’ll probably get worse once the actual details are released via magazine or TLC mini webisode thing. 

- People chiming in to compliment them? Check.

- People defending them who somehow manage to offend someone else? Not exactly, but that HAS happened - to a mild extent - in the two thread drifts this has sparked so far. 

- A skirmish that turned into a debate? Double check.

- Someone getting their feelings hurt? I don’t think that’s really happened. Give it Time abd it will though. 

- Jokes being made? I’d be very disappointed in all of us if this hadn’t happened yet. :pb_lol:

- Agreeing to never discuss X, Y, or Z on the site again before immediately forgetting when the next wedding occurs? Not yet. 

I’d give this wedding discussion an overall grade of B- so far. It’s passing, but nothing spectacular. 

Me, me, me!!! I already criticised their fashion choices. 

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

Here's where it seems to come from.

That abstract is extremely vague. It doesn't state what sort of data was analysed, what sort of method they used, sample size, nothing but conclusions and the stated need for more research before redefining guidelines. It would be interesting to see if they have taken into account variables such as a decrease of intercourses (co-sleeping and feeding every 2/3 hrs can have a huge impact on sex life, don't ask me how I know) and sleep deprivation.

3 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

Anyway, depending on what you're talking about, it's not wrong to say that breastfeeding on demand has 98% effectiveness. That doesn't mean, however, that a particular woman has a 98% chance of not conceiving while breastfeeding on demand.

But it's wrong the comparison with condom. Condom has a 96% effectiveness for me and for you regardless of woman specific variables. 

I’m not saying that Abbie is going to ‘turn into Derick’. I’m saying that she, like Derick a few years ago, is new and seems different. That right now people have an overwhelmingly positive impression of her and that I can almost guarantee you that’s going to change as we get to know her more. Not that she’s going to literally take on Derick’s personality traits or mimick his actions. That her true colours will be revealed and people will inevitably be disappointed that she really is a fundie with the same ignorant, nasty, oppressive beliefs as the rest of them - just like what happened with Derick.

Abby won't have the opportunity to turn into DWreck, she has to be submissive to JD going forward.  What we should be hoping is that HE doesn't turn into another Derrick.

1 hour ago, VBOY9977 said:

I really want them to come to Spain on their honeymoon, specifically Madrid since I’m living here this semester. It will be the closest I’ve been to a Duggar! But realistically I think maybe they’ll go to a warmer weather.

I was in Vienna in August and all I could think of was Josiah and Lauren. Man, these people have taken over my life ??

Being close to them really isn't all that special ;)

8 minutes ago, SamiKatz said:

Abby won't have the opportunity to turn into DWreck, she has to be submissive to JD going forward.  What we should be hoping is that HE doesn't turn into another Derrick.

This. Abbie is not only a vagina bearer, but she  also grew up fundie with a blog. Again, she knows how to keep her more controversial beliefs hidden. 

9 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I’m not saying that Abbie is going to ‘turn into Derick’. I’m saying that she, like Derick a few years ago, is new and seems different. That right now people have an overwhelmingly positive impression of her and that I can almost guarantee you that’s going to change as we get to know her more. Not that she’s going to literally take on Derick’s personality traits or mimick his actions. That her true colours will be revealed and people will inevitably be disappointed that she really is a fundie with the same ignorant, nasty, oppressive beliefs as the rest of them - just like what happened with Derick.

Yep. Absolutely this. It happens almost every time a Duggar marries. Posters either think the new spouse or the Duggar in question is going to be different than the rest, though that’s rarely the case and people ultimately end up turning against them at some point. The only exception I can recall is Lauren - more people than usual took a pretty quick dislike to her and that’s mainly just because people seemed upset that someone with her personality was paired with Josiah, who was (is?) a site favorite. 

(I can’t say in regards to Anna because I only started paying attention to the Duggars after Jill married. I’d assume a lot of posters would have been annoyed with Smuggar prior to that though.)

13 minutes ago, ati_escapee said:

Being close to them really isn't all that special ;)

Trust me I know that, but I don’t live in he US and I don’t think they’ll ever go to Colombia where I’m from and normally reside, so being in the same city as them if they end up in Madrid will be an extremely rare occurrence for me and I’m just curious to see if it happens ?‍♀️

It seems there is a common held belief that on FJ, everyone gets excited that a new Duggar partner will be different and then is let down. I don’t think that’s the case. I haven’t seen it in the last three new Duggar in laws (Austin, Kendra, and Lauren). Maybe people were excited about Derrick and Jeremy. But I wouldn’t say that just because of those two, it’s become the norm to be excited that things will be different when a Duggar marries. 

Be the thread drift you want to see in the world, y'all.

I think they are honeymooning in the continental United States & JD flew them there.  Possible the Southwest, although NM or Arizona isn't that exotic for someone right next door in Oklahoma.

If the wedding had been earlier in the year (or later, if they wanted to ski) I would have thrown the Canadian Rockies, or Quebec, into the mix.

Possibly a luxury dude ranch. TLC could still get "glamorous" footage of JD flying them, riding horses, cuddling in front of a campfire etc.

I think as a group we should give up on thinking any of them are going to change.  Of course, it's possible, but not really probable.

Yes, a dude ranch fits with those two.  Although I would also have put Austin and Joy in as rustic and they were sent to Europe.  I say sent as I'm not sure those two put a lot of effort into picking anything.  I think John and Abbie will actually have picked their honeymoon destination.

@JermajestyDuggar I think that's mainly because Kendra, Austin, and Lauren were very clearly typical Duggar-like fundies. There was nothing that jumped out about any of them that screamed, 'this one's different!' But Abbie is older, has an education, and has worked as a nurse. That's enough for people to get excited and hope that she'll be different. The fact that her family is deeply entrenched in ATI and that she and John had one of the speediest courtships in Duggar history is conveniently overlooked. Over the past year or so John has also become something of a pet fundie for a lot of FJers. He seems laid back and funny. Abbie also seems laid back and like she has a good sense of humour. They make a cute couple and seem really happy and relaxed together. So people want them to succeed. They want them to be different.

As long as they get paid for modelling fundamentalism on TV, they won't change. They'd lose everything and gain nothing! 

I do hope a few will have a quiet change of heart once the cameras have stopped rolling. 19 is a lot of people to keep on the straight and narrow. Especially when most of them will end up having daughters they might just love too much to sentence to a life of submission of their own. 

8 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

@JermajestyDuggar I think that's mainly because Kendra, Austin, and Lauren were very clearly typical Duggar-like fundies. There was nothing that jumped out about any of them that screamed, 'this one's different!' But Abbie is older, has an education, and has worked as a nurse. That's enough for people to get excited and hope that she'll be different. The fact that her family is deeply entrenched in ATI and that she and John had one of the speediest courtships in Duggar history is conveniently overlooked. Over the past year or so John has also become something of a pet fundie for a lot of FJers. He seems laid back and funny. Abbie also seems laid back and like she has a good sense of humour. They make a cute couple and seem really happy and relaxed together. So people want them to succeed. They want them to be different.

Well technically they are different. But they are still fundie. I think it’s fine to point out the differences. But for some reason, when someone points out differences, a lot of people jump on them that they are still fundie. I find that I constantly have to clarify that I think FJ fundies are still fundie while noticing they’re doing anything outside the fundie norm. 

Someone on Reddit caught that John and Abbie will be living in Arkansas, because John is running for constable again.

Yeah, as to the chances of Abbie pulling JD more towards the mainstream, imho it’s highly doubtful. She might have some secular education and a job, but she was still raised to be a submissive fundie wife, and there’s no indication that she intends to do otherwise.

If they do pull away from fundie beliefs and go more mainstream, it will be under JD’s “headship” lead, not due to Abbie’s influence.

I'm going to predict they will honeymoon in Central America. Costa Rica is pretty hip right now, and has plenty of outdoorsy things to offer that are not lying on the beach with half-naked people who are drinking alcohol grape juice. I'm pretty sure we have seen evidence of JD flying out of the country, so he might still be able to fly them there.

5 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Someone on Reddit caught that John and Abbie will be living in Arkansas, because John is running for constable again.

Yes, he's here on the sample ballot for Tontitown precncts, page 4: https://www.co.washington.ar.us/home/showdocument?id=18075  His home address is also on the Washington County government home page at https://www.co.washington.ar.us/government/elected-officials

And here is the county officials compensation table, which I haven't quick figured out how to interpret: https://www.co.washington.ar.us/home/showdocument?id=13355

image.thumb.png.b01adfdce3fd6e4cd9bf37bfcd764564.png

3 minutes ago, JillyO said:

That's the TTH address, so unfortunately not usefull in finding out where they'll live (not that I want to know their street address!).

Maybe he's still living on the TTH property and they just assembled another cabin for them.

10 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Yes, he's here on the sample ballot for Tontitown precncts, page 4: https://www.co.washington.ar.us/home/showdocument?id=18075  His home address is also on the Washington County government home page at https://www.co.washington.ar.us/government/elected-officials

And here is the county officials compensation table, which I haven't quick figured out how to interpret: https://www.co.washington.ar.us/home/showdocument?id=13355

image.thumb.png.b01adfdce3fd6e4cd9bf37bfcd764564.png

I'm 90% sure JD ran unopposed last time he was elected as constable.  It looks like he has a Dem in competition this year.  He might lose.

And I'm 99% sure the volunteer constable position is a mere stipend or perhaps is not compensated at all.  It isn't defined on that document anyway.  Instead:

**THE COMPENSATION OF ALL CONSTABLES SERVING IN ANY OFFICIAL CAPACITY ESTABLISHED BY LAW MAY BE FIXED BY ORDINANCE OF THE QUORUM COURT

The full-time Sheriff gets 122K a year.

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

I knew exactly what you meant, and I feel the same.

Thank you for that information, @Palimpsest. I sometimes think JDs work ethic and accomplishments are a little overinflated. I don't think JD is a lazy grifter, definitly not. He did take necessary steps to become a pilot. However, he has the great luxury of being his family's private pilot who gets to have someone else do his laundry. He isn't working for a company flying around cranky tourists doing that daily grind. He gets to have all the glamour and not so much of the demands that commercial pilots face. I think the canceling of the show would be a big wake up call to the Duggars, John David included. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived