IGNORED

John David and Abbie 5: Pancakes with a Side of Wedding

HerNameIsBuffy

2 hours ago, freedomfromfrumpers said:

So who's birthdays and anniversaries are being forgotten because of this wedding?  I think today is Jessa's birthday??  Is she getting the shaft this year?

I'm fairly sure that Abbie is getting the shaft this weekend.

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Satan'sFortress said:

I'm fairly sure that Abbie is getting the shaft this weekend.

Prayer closet missy!  ?????

9 minutes ago, viii said:

Abbie is what... 26? If she’s fertile and they don’t have any issues conceiving, she has 20 years give or take to have children. Depending on how they space them out and if they have any multiples, they could easily have a dozen plus kids. 

She likely has 14 years of fertility and then a few years of a crap shoot. If Fundie Wiki is correct, her mother had her last child at 40. Fertility is not guaranteed in your 40s even if you were fertile in your 20s and 30s.

2 hours ago, prayawaythefundie said:

I‘ll try to take your advice: Why do you think it is that some posters have something to say no matter the topic while others only post if they think they really have something new to add? I‘m not shy usually, so that can‘t be it. 

Because we like hanging out here and talking to each other. No mystery.  

Uh, no. There still is not one page without some sort of „but they trusted you“ comment (see @SapphireSlytherin).

Well, since you called me out:

I hadn't been on this thread on FJ in a few hours, and was reading through - posting as I went instead of waiting until I had finished reading the thread. My sincerest apologies for not "moving on."

Why do you think it is that some posters have something to say no matter the topic while others only post if they think they really have something new to add? I‘m not shy usually, so that can‘t be it. 

Since you said it was a genuine question, I'll answer. Different personalities. If this was a party in real life some people would be listening,  adding occasionally to the conversation and others would be talking non-stop. Some people just have more to say than other people.

31 minutes ago, viii said:

Abbie is what... 26? If she’s fertile and they don’t have any issues conceiving, she has 20 years give or take to have children. Depending on how they space them out and if they have any multiples, they could easily have a dozen plus kids. 

Seriously, of course she's not going to be able to have quite as many as if she started at 18, but some people are talking about it like she's 40! Michelle had 14 children conceived after she turned 26 (I'm not counting Jessa, who was born a few months after Michelle turned 26), which is still an enormous family. Now, most women in general aren't going to be able to have huge numbers of children, but that's a bit of a different issue.

19 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I hadn't been on this thread on FJ in a few hours, and was reading through - posting as I went instead of waiting until I had finished reading the thread. My sincerest apologies for not "moving on."

You were fine.  You wanted to make a comment and made it...just like everyone else was doing.  You have nothing for which you should be apologizing.

1 hour ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Your lack of participation doesn't give you the right to tell other people what they should and shouldn't discuss.

The conversation was already drifting and you brought it back.  Also...you don't get to determine the topics being discussed.  People are not here to post solely for your entertainment....not ghost writers on a payroll.

Do you even see the hubris of saying you want to read other people having a conversation, not participate much, but insist you have a right to direct the content of that conversation?  

That's not how it works here.

You have two options:  either contribute to the conversation in a way you enjoy and help steer it that way or ignore the posts you don't enjoy.  Actually the latter works either way.

At the moment, you are the one trying to tell me what to do. I never said, I had a right to control what people are discussing but I voiced an opinion which btw IS participating and it is steering, just in a more direct way than you would obviously enjoy.

1 minute ago, Tatar-tot said:

Who was JD best man?

That's a great question. I know he was close to Zach Bates at one time, and it appears than Nathan Bates was a groomsman. So if I had to guess I'd say at least two Bateses were in the wedding party. It'll be interesting to see how TLC edits around that.

8 minutes ago, prayawaythefundie said:

At the moment, you are the one trying to tell me what to do. I never said, I had a right to control what people are discussing but I voiced opinion which btw IS participating and it is steering, just in a more direct way than you would obviously enjoy. Talk about hybris with that tone of yours. 

Yeah - except telling people how to post like you were doing is something any admin would have told you to knock it off...I was just the one here who happened to see it.

You don't get to control thread drift.  If you feel posts are violating FJ rules then by all means report them.  If they aren't then scroll past those which don't amuse you.

Telling people what they shouldn't post borders on thread disruption which is against the rules.  So again, either participate or don't, I don't care, but do not tell other people what they shouldn't be posting about.

(If you want to use the move along response thing that's fine - makes your point for those who care without disrupting the thread by trying to moderate conversation.)

13 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Since you said it was a genuine question, I'll answer. Different personalities. If this was a party in real life some people would be listening,  adding occasionally to the conversation and others would be talking non-stop. Some people just have more to say than other people.

That‘s actually why I‘m wondering. At a party in real life, I‘d be much more of a talker than I am here. Contrary to some people‘s opinion I do participate but my online personality seems to differ from my party personality. I would like to know if other users feel the same (maybe even the other way round). I guess I didn‘t articulate my interest very well, so I hope that explanation helps. 

@VelociRapture gave a very helpful reply already. 

*gasps* Where's the " Oh no she didn't " reaction!  Really?  If you don't post much but read here for your entertainment and choose to speak up and call out a FJ member who is very active in her contribution, then yeah, it's not something that will be received well. You spoke up to state your disappointment or whatever, not to join any discussion.  Party foul.

5 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

For some reason, I read this as "Jesus could have changed into comfy shoes for the reception"  as in WWJD.  I am going to stick with that image because it amuses me.

Changed into comfy shoes, and made sure there was plenty of wine.  Good wine, not that crappy stuff you serve after everyone is drunk!

1 minute ago, Fun-Dee said:

Changed into comfy shoes, and made sure there was plenty of wine.  Good wine, not that crappy stuff you serve after everyone is drunk!

Right about now I'd settle for the crappy stuff.

25 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

Seriously, of course she's not going to be able to have quite as many as if she started at 18, but some people are talking about it like she's 40! Michelle had 14 children conceived after she turned 26 (I'm not counting Jessa, who was born a few months after Michelle turned 26), which is still an enormous family. Now, most women in general aren't going to be able to have huge numbers of children, but that's a bit of a different issue.

Michelle is a freak of nature (and she knows it). She’s a hyperovulator, causing fraternal twins as well as more frequent conceptions, and she also can conceive while she’s breastfeeding, unlike most women. A two-year gap between babies is more common for women who don’t use birth control and do breastfeed, especially if they’re over 25. So for Abbie’s roughly 14 years of fertility, that’s about seven babies.

9 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Yeah - except telling people how to post like you were doing is something any admin would have told you to knock it off...I was just the one here who happened to see it.

You don't get to control thread drift.  If you feel posts are violating FJ rules then by all means report them.  If they aren't then scroll past those which don't amuse you.

Telling people what they shouldn't post borders on thread disruption which is against the rules.  So again, either participate or don't, I don't care, but do not tell other people what they shouldn't be posting about.

(If you want to use the move along response thing that's fine - makes your point for those who care without disrupting the thread by trying to moderate conversation.)

I did use the move along response more than once. People did not move along, so directly I asked if we could please move on. How is this controlling other people while constantly saying „I‘d be so mad at you, if you did this“ is not. Sorry but that is a double standard. If others guilting a poster for what she posts is merely an opionion and they have „nothing to apologize for“ than how is saying „I don‘t like the guilting going on for pages, can we please move on?“ against the rules? Is it because I admitted to reading more than posting?

Josh is John’s brother who is closest in age to him. Did he or did he not include Josh as a groomsman? I am conflicted on this. Josh might have made amends to his family. JD was hurt by Josh’s adultry. Not sure how he processed Josh’s abuse of their sisters. 

1 minute ago, prayawaythefundie said:

I did use the move along response more than once. People did not move along, so directly I asked if we could please move on. How is this controlling other people while constantly saying „I‘d be so mad at you, if you did this“ is not. Sorry but that is a double standard. If others guilting a poster for what she posts is merely an opionion and they have „nothing to apologize for“ than how is saying „I don‘t like the guilting going on for pages, can we please move on?“ against the rules? Is it because I admitted to reading more than posting?

Arguing about how the forum functions belongs in Community Discussion.  If it continues, I'll move it over there.  Thank you all.  

4 minutes ago, Markie said:

Josh is John’s brother who is closest in age to him. Did he or did he not include Josh as a groomsman? I am conflicted on this. Josh might have made amends to his family. JD was hurt by Josh’s adultry. Not sure how he processed Josh’s abuse of their sisters. 

I do not think Josh would be a groomsman.  I think it would be a bad look.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived