IGNORED

Lawson Bates 3

Coconut Flan

4 hours ago, lizzybee said:

For the longest time I had such difficulty saying municipal. One day I sat and repeated it to myself probably around 50 times until I stopped stumbling over it. Not sure what my problem was, but it was a struggle

I could not pronounce apothecary so I did the same thing, just kept saying it til I got it. (We actually had an apothecary shop near our house when we lived in Pittsburgh, that was how I found out I couldn’t say it. )

I had to look up and listen to the pronunciations of hyperbole and hyperbolic a few years ago. They sound different from each other and I wanted to make sure. I also heard it mispronounced by others which didn’t help! 

• Upvote 3

Language can be challenging, which is why I personally find it fascinating. My husband has a complex over the word available. I think he knows how to correctly spell it at this point, but he knows he has had a hard time spelling it in the past, so then he starts overthinking and questioning himself. He says all the time if someone actually held a gun to his head and told him to spell it they'd just have to shoot him.  ?

Just for funsies I asked him yesterday to spell medieval. After Alyssa got roasted, it's my new favorite game to put someone on the spot and make them spell it for me. The other day I was reading over the medieval fall out and thinking you guys would die if you saw some of the spelling mistakes he makes on the regular. As I predicted, it was a hot mess. Poor guy, he's a terrible speller. College educated, but written communication isn't his one of his strengths. Fortunately for him I majored in English Ed - which makes me cut a lot of slack with language - so he just makes me spell everything for him. 

Edited by lizzybee
  • Upvote 6

I'm college education, masters degree in special education, and I still can't pronounce a few words. I had a problem pronouncing L's and R's when I was a kid and spent a lot of time with a grandfather that spoke with a heavy accent. There's just some things I can't pronounce properly. Doesn't mean I'm stupid. My tongue just can't handle letter combinations. I also tend to speak very fast and most people think I'm mumbling. I'm constantly told to repeat myself. 

As @lizzybee said, if someone held a gun to my head and asked me to say 3 words with the same sounds tomorrow, I'd get shot on the spot. Can't do it. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

On 2/23/2019 at 3:16 AM, Bobology said:

After lurking for over 4 years, I joined a few months ago, and now I can say I'm pretty much fully vested in FJ. Last night when Lawson pronounced epitome as 'EPuh-tome' (toam?) I thought I couldn't wait to see what FJ had to say. Here I am this morning and I'm disappointed in you all. Really, we can make fun of 'mid-evil' but we leave EPuh-tome alone? Or perhaps you are at work... still sleeping... haven't yet watched the show from last night. If you haven't watched it, it is not worth watching, except for Lawson saying that one word.

I've heard similar mispronunciations over the decades, and it happens. For some reason it is funny when it comes from SOTDRT.

And early on I promised myself I would add to discussions only about stuff associated with their belief dangers. Obviously THAT hasn't happened.

lol I have the sound off for that dolt (actually all of them), thank you for letting me know. I will sledge with you. the dingbat.

I can't suffer him anymore. He his just so full of himself, is like he his creating his own personality cult. It was a little fun till it was photos op with kids and kittens, butknow is just too much 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4

4 hours ago, Italiangirl said:

I can't suffer him anymore. He his just so full of himself, is like he his creating his own personality cult. It was a little fun till it was photos op with kids and kittens, butknow is just too much 

My username continues to age well.

• Upvote 18
  • Rufus Bless 3
  • Haha 15
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

In the last facebook live (the one with him and Carlin in the car) Lawson seems to imply him and Nathan have already been getting to know girls but they will not present them on the show until they know its the one. I think like the dressing standars, the courting standards have gone down the drain. Also if they showed this in the show it could be less boring to be honest, the failed courtship of Nathan was one of the most interesting narratives they have had in years.

• I Agree 7

8 minutes ago, llucie said:

In the last facebook live (the one with him and Carlin in the car) Lawson seems to imply him and Nathan have already been getting to know girls but they will not present them on the show until they know its the one.

There is a lot of wisdom in that. Nathan already had to suffer the humiliation of a failed courtship being turned into entertainment, and I'm sure Lawson doesn't want to go through that. He has seen two of his brothers have their heartbreak televised. 

After the awful Zach courtship failure Kelly said that they were going to step back from putting courtship on television until they were sure it was a done deal so none of their other children would have to go through what Zach did. Not only was he crushed by the courtship failing, he had it all on television. Obviously Kelly and Gil didn't stick with that promise. When it came down to it money trumps protecting their children and if a child will let them put it on television they will do so, no matter the risk that another kid will have their courtship fail on tv. 

• Upvote 14

11 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

There is a lot of wisdom in that. Nathan already had to suffer the humiliation of a failed courtship being turned into entertainment, and I'm sure Lawson doesn't want to go through that. He has seen two of his brothers have their heartbreak televised. 

On one hand, i dont think anyone including Lawson deserves that. On the other if someone needs a lesson in humility is him. 

• Upvote 6

I wonder how stressful it would be for Lawson or any of the other boys to get to know each someone knowing that so far the two Bates boys who have courted had their first courtship end with a break up. Three if you count Trace bringing Campbell skiing with them for that one episode and was never seen again. To be the first Bates boy to make it all the way to the alter in his first and only courtship.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

I don't like to give Kelly and Gil a break, but to be fair, Ashley may have seemed like a done deal. She was from the 'tribe' so to speak, she had agreed to courtship.  They'd been getting to know each other off camera a long time.  

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

On 2/26/2019 at 2:27 AM, Italiangirl said:

We like to snark on Lawson’s Instagram but Lawson’s Twitter is a whole new level of fundie hell where preening selfies are sandwiched between retweets from ICE, alarmist articles about “illegals” committing crimes, and quivery-lipped takes on abortion legislation by men. And then back to the “cute.” It’s a lot.

• Upvote 6
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 4

@nickelodeon is not joking! In between the pictures he posts on Instagram he spews pure hate. He seems to be very anti-immigrant.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

We like to snark on Lawson’s Instagram but Lawson’s Twitter is a whole new level of fundie hell where preening selfies are sandwiched between retweets from ICE, alarmist articles about “illegals” committing crimes, and quivery-lipped takes on abortion legislation by men. And then back to the “cute.” It’s a lot.

Yup. And if Lawson truly wanted to become a "singing star" he'd ease up on the retweeting of political bullshit and stick to the cute.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Yup. And if Lawson truly wanted to become a "singing star" he'd ease up on the retweeting of political bullshit and stick to the cute.

At this point he probably knows that his career is going nowhere unless he is delusional. And to be honest for the voice he has (ok but nothing special) i think he did pretty good. He should retire and spare us of more romantic country shitty songs that sound all the same.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

I had to check again because I was SURE I was dreaming, but nope, Lawson did post about watching The Office (US version) in his latest Instagram story. I can hardly think of a show fundies would approve of less. ?

Spoiler

Screenshot_20190302-123517_Instagram.thumb.jpg.274238225d44180796013b735b1d9685.jpg

• Upvote 9

19 minutes ago, DillyDally said:

I had to check again because I was SURE I was dreaming, but nope, Lawson did post about watching The Office (US version) in his latest Instagram story. I can hardly think of a show fundies would approve of less. ?

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot_20190302-123517_Instagram.thumb.jpg.274238225d44180796013b735b1d9685.jpg

Best show ever!!! But yeah, I was really surprised to see that too! That's not the type of humor fundies typically "approve of".

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

Lawson has a penis, he probably gets to watch what he wants, and there is a lot of mentions of The Office in pop culture, I personally started watching it so I could figure out what the hell people were talking about. I wouldn't be surprised if he did the same. Lawson likes to appear "cool" and not having a clue about stuff seems like it would bother him. 

Looking at his Twitter makes me angry. He is constantly painting immigrants as scary dangerous people. Anyone really believe the whole family doesn't think like he does? 

• Upvote 14

His friends the Robertses love The Office, so that's not particularly surprising.

• Upvote 2

The irony of him taking that picture when the gay Latino character is onscreen...truly off the charts.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 2

Getting back to mispronunciations,  I heard President Lyndon Johnson say "Aunt Pen-uh-lope"  to rhyme with cantaloupe in a speech once.  I think the speech might have been about Medicare, but I'm not sure.  Of course, he might have had an aunt who pronounced Penelope that way.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

Getting back to mispronunciations,  I heard President Lyndon Johnson say "Aunt Pen-uh-lope"  to rhyme with cantaloupe in a speech once.  I think the speech might have been about Medicare, but I'm not sure.  Of course, he might have had an aunt who pronounced Penelope that way.

I watched a satirical teen horror spoof once and one character, presumably from South America, pronounced it Peen-Uh-Lope and ever since then I can't mentally pronounce it any other way! ?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

Is Lawson some kind of cop now too? Another immigrant-hating fundie male in law enforcement is not what the world needs. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 9

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic