IGNORED

Lawson Bates 3

Coconut Flan

I don't get it. Why on earth would he ask if she divorced her brother? That makes no sense. What am I missing?

• I Agree 4

9 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I don't get it. Why on earth would he ask if she divorced her brother? That makes no sense. What am I missing?

There is a rumor that Omar married her brother to get him U.S. citizenship. It actually hasn't been proven false but there isn't much evidence to support it. I think there is a fair bit about Omar and her story up for criticism, but Lawson's flippant tweets still grate on my nerves. 

If true, she would have had two separate husbands. He is not the father of her children and there are no claims that she had an incestuous relationship with him of any sort. She is currently reconciled with her first husband. 

Snopes does a pretty good write up for anyone interested:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ilhan-omar-marry-brother/

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 15

56 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

There is a rumor that Omar married her brother to get him U.S. citizenship. It actually hasn't been proven false but there isn't much evidence to support it. I think there is a fair bit about Omar and her story up for criticism, but Lawson's flippant tweets still grate on my nerves. 

If true, she would have had two separate husbands. He is not the father of her children and there are no claims that she had an incestuous relationship with him of any sort. She is currently reconciled with her first husband. 

Snopes does a pretty good write up for anyone interested:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ilhan-omar-marry-brother/

Wow, interesting! Whether true or not, his joke seems in very poor taste, but that doesn't surprise me. I don't think I could possibly have lower expectations for the Bateses.

• Upvote 7

Conservatives have been using Muslims as a scare tactic since at least 9/11 and  maybe before. They know it's as much a surefire way to energize their base as mentioning abortion or gay marriage. For years, it has been debunked over and over that Barak Obama was a Muslim and that he was born in Kenya, yet the rumors persist.

It reminds me of a particularly awful verse I have heard composed for This Land is Your Land. The verse is so incredibly offensive that I'm only going to quote the first two lines here.

"This land is my land, it isn't your land."

Despite all of the packaging that some feel is pretty, Lawson is showing himself to be the small minded, particularly offensive sort of Conservative that wants to control every aspect of our country.

(I'm not saying all conservatives are like that, but there's definitely a very vocal MAGA hat wearing group of them.)

• Upvote 7

He is just gross.  I mean...not even the slightest bit to pretend to be upstanding. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

I went through a "I'm a super conservative and the Left is evil" phase on Twitter a couple years ago and I am not proud of it. I insulted certain political officials and I realize it was wrong. This is just evil.

I would definitely address the issue of misusing campaign funds, but I would not tweet ad hominem attacks. Guess what, God loves that person as much as He loves me. It is so easy to forget that because of the desire to gain political Twitter points. You now what made me realize it wasn't worth it? I was going to lose my sister. Yes, we disagree, but there is a lot we agree with.

It's okay to critique policy- I do it with policies from both sides of the aisle.

If you want to know, I am more center-right on the spectrum.

• Upvote 2

His Twitter is such a testament to the way Gil and Kelly have raised their kids to be gullible and unquestioning. He might be joking here, but if you look at his feed, he retweets any hamfisted rumor, punditry, or reactionary shit stirring. See the constant scaremongering about immigrants. Given his cult upbringing, it’s no surprise.

• Upvote 15

11 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

His Twitter is such a testament to the way Gil and Kelly have raised their kids to be gullible and unquestioning. He might be joking here, but if you look at his feed, he retweets any hamfisted rumor, punditry, or reactionary shit stirring. See the constant scaremongering about immigrants. Given his cult upbringing, it’s no surprise.

This is something that baffles me.  I was raised in an extremely conservative environment and culture.  My first husband was an extremely conservative gun nut.  My current husband is a "libertarian," which IMO is just white guy speak for "I punt." In spite of all of that  right-wing influence, I am able to question the logic of the right and in most cases outright reject it because in its extreme (which is dominating right now in most of the world), it is inhumane and illogical.  I suppose I am center left in my politics, but to many people I interact with, I come across as far left because I am pro-choice and willing to admit to my privilege and (most important) willing to pay taxes to support the common good. It upsets me that there is no nuance anymore.  People see things as one way or the other, my way or the highway.  There is no room for debate and discourse.  I suppose it has always been this way to a degree, but it seems so much worse now than any other time in my life. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 4

Lately there are just two teams here, whether or not we all fit on them. To the rest of the world, they look like center-right and far-right having it out with each other, and therefore any view that would be considered somewhat liberal elsewhere is labeled far left here. 

So I think trying to apply context and nuance right now is largely futile. It's exhausting. But Lawson is, as someone above said, indoctrinated and unquestioning. I will always hope they all grow in wisdom as they experience more of the world, though not with great optimism.

• Upvote 3

I’d say that Lawson’s credulity goes beyond a regular young republican’s and is a symptom of being conditioned to trust aaaaand obey his entire life.

• Upvote 6

On 4/2/2019 at 2:35 PM, VBOY9977 said:

He’s gross. We’re sleeping on his Twitter btw. It’s awful. And he deletes tweets after a while to leave little evidence of his asshole-ness ?

388C2A09-4F7A-44D2-9546-26FABF04FD7F.jpeg

Yeah, he can fuck all the way off for that. 

The lack of respect and disdain here is glaring

Edited by seraaa
  • Upvote 5

1 hour ago, QuiverDance said:

So out of curiosity I went to check his twitter, and I didn't see that tweet.  Maybe he deleted it. 

He definitely deleted it within a few hours. I checked as soon as I saw the screenshot posted here and it was already gone. He apparently does this on a regular basis. 

• Upvote 1

Lawson referencing Lil Nas X's "Old Town Road" is...interesting? idk, but I find it to be in poor taste considering the controversy with Billboard excluding the song from its Country Chart and I wouldn't be surprised if Lawson agreed w/ them.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

On 4/8/2019 at 7:22 AM, llg1234 said:

Lawson referencing Lil Nas X's "Old Town Road" is...interesting? idk, but I find it to be in poor taste considering the controversy with Billboard excluding the song from its Country Chart and I wouldn't be surprised if Lawson agreed w/ them.

I think the horse will get jack of it before you mate, he is doing all the heavy lifting.....

So Lawson played the Grand Old Opry in Nashville "3 days ago"

I looked at the schedules--

https://www.opry.com/calendar/grand-ole-opry-fri-5-apr-2019

https://www.opry.com/calendar/grand-ole-opry-fri-6-apr

https://www.opry.com/calendar/grand-ole-opry-sat-7-apr

and don't see him listed--so I am guessing that he got to be one of the performers during intermission/commercial breaks [and least that is they way it worked the last time I went to the Opry]--who I believe aren't including in the tv or radio broadcast.

I am guessing they don't get paid, either.

Still, its something.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

Re the Ilhan Omar "divorcing her brother" tweet: did anyone ask him if he's still buddies with a guy who sexually assaulted his sisters? 

• Upvote 11
  • Love 2

On 4/9/2019 at 10:06 AM, HereticHick said:

So Lawson played the Grand Old Opry in Nashville "3 days ago"

I looked at the schedules--

https://www.opry.com/calendar/grand-ole-opry-fri-5-apr-2019

https://www.opry.com/calendar/grand-ole-opry-fri-6-apr

https://www.opry.com/calendar/grand-ole-opry-sat-7-apr

and don't see him listed--so I am guessing that he got to be one of the performers during intermission/commercial breaks [and least that is they way it worked the last time I went to the Opry]--who I believe aren't including in the tv or radio broadcast.

I am guessing they don't get paid, either.

Still, its something.

He played and presented at the Inspirational Country Music Awards which are held in the Opryhouse.  (He said  in a video on March 30, which I came across online in a google search but refuse to link because I don't want to give him views, that he was going to play and present at the ICM awards.) The ICM awards were April 4, 2019.  

http://inspirationalcountrymusic.com

So, when he said on his FB on 4/5/19 that he played the "Grand Ole Opry STAGE" the previous night, he was technically correct (the best kind of correct), but he did not play the Opry. He played at a Christian Music award show. 

I'm not saying he never will, but he is really not the caliber of artist that appears in The Grand Ole Opry.    

I also noticed on his twitter that he was in my town last week.  So sad I missed him. 

Edited by QuiverDance
  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 6

Lawson will never be asked to play the Opry. He's just not great of an artist. He lacks the talent and charisma. Sorry, he just does, and I don't see him improving.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

4 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

Lawson will never be asked to play the Opry. He's just not great of an artist. He lacks the talent and charisma. Sorry, he just does, and I don't see him improving.

He'll never improve because he's surrounded himself with people who will never ever challenge him. He'll never improve because he doesn't care about proving himself to the "secular" world and in fundie-land, the education and open-mindedness he would need to become a great artist is strictly verboten. I'd say "whatevs" if he just recognized all this and stayed in his lane, but he's out there acting like he's the second coming of Johnny Cash. 

• Upvote 11

I looked at his twitter for the first time in a week or two and it is an islamophobic shitshow. Complete with completely non sequitur “full of righteous fury about 9/11” posts. Lordy!

• Upvote 4
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 1

7 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

I looked at his twitter for the first time in a week or two and it is an islamophobic shitshow. Complete with completely non sequitur “full of righteous fury about 9/11” posts. Lordy!

Screenshots for posterity:

A4C2CC09-11AF-419C-93A5-6666F1C78945.thumb.png.6b006019368fe639d662de56f1441774.png

Spoiler

91D68771-9775-4D96-8C5C-960C3FE221C1.thumb.png.1934e77668a8bf4b03126cdff8b9e14f.png

Spoiler

BFC2A329-A67D-4543-8DD1-03FEF177F6F4.thumb.png.b6262e785f7214fdac58df85f0f8d0b8.png

Spoiler

0514698B-BD4F-41B1-9EF2-C1667E53E758.thumb.png.3f54e3b100643bcfc53ea6ba3fc90187.png

Spoiler

80DCDC74-8971-414B-A249-E9EDA6A44F7A.thumb.png.e5b75af88bbf83175b804abafa591760.png

Not only is it Islamaphobic, but it’s also racist and sexist for him to constantly speak over and belittle a black woman this way. Not that I’m surprised given the fact his parents used to use Klansmen in some of their decorating. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic